Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 192627282930313239 ... LastLast

Thread: All Down The Line

Thanks
    Thanked 37,150 Times in 7,345 Posts

Thinking

The blight of poverty (in the US) for the elderly is becoming a much to common (almost epidemic) occurrence ... The woman
    ( Glorious Life On Wheels ) who's making these videos seems to have great empathy and compassion in these regards, (especially for those living in cars/trucks etc...).

Van Life? 78 Year Old Couple Forced To Move Into Truck??

78 year old couple.being forced to consider moving into a truck? Is this what this country is coming to? Can we nit treat our elders and veterns better than this? As housing costs continue to rapidly increase, many seniors living on social security and fixed incomes are being forced to live in vehicles. Senior nomads are becoming more and more common. Seniors may represent the largest demographic of the new homeless. It is one thing to become a nomad or part of vanlife by choice out of a desire to travel and explore the country. It is quite another to be suddenly thrust into it with little to no preparation.

In this video I interview a 78 year old gentleman who may soon be living in the back of his 35 year old pickup truck with his 78 year old wife. Their move will not be part of a dream being filled, but rather a nightmare that could not be averted. I believe this story represents the tip of the iceberg of what is about to happen when the current eviction moratoriums are lifted. What do you think? Let me know your thoughts about this crisis by leaving a comment after you watch the video. And, don't forget to hit that like button Glowbies. Take care and God bless.
    Aug 19, 2021

11:35 min

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79cxSV10rw

A followup video ...

Van Life: 78 YR OLD Nomad Now Living in His SUV

Nov 18, 2021

14:10 minutes

There was a tremendous outpouring of support for Hank and even some offers of shelter from folks in other states. However, other options seemed to open up to allow Hank to become involved in a shared housing aituation so he wouldn't have to move into his truck.

Well, Hank's story has had more twists and turns than a pretzel and he is now living in a vehicle after all, a Ford Escape SUV. Recently Debbie from Lady Debbie S Vanlife channel and myself were able to make some window covers for Hank, and Tim and I are going to try to help Hank organize his SUV to make it more comfortable for winter. In this video Hank provides an update on his situation. I will continue to provide updates on Hank's situation and as we get Hank's SUV organized and ready for winter. Perhaps some of you living a.mobile life will get some ideas for your own vehicles.
    Last edited by Gio, 3rd January 2022 at 22:24.
    Presenting an alternative to the alternative community.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th January 2022), Aragorn (3rd January 2022), Dreamtimer (4th January 2022), modwiz (3rd January 2022), Octopus Garden (3rd January 2022), Wind (4th January 2022)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Hi Giovanni! Welcome back. Darn, that is so sad. I have watched so many videos like this one over the last few years. Much of the rise in rental costs has to do with hedge funds paying cash for residential property, therfore bumping those less qualified purchasers out of the market while they gouge renters.

It's predatory and its global in nature. In Canada, its mainly younger people who are homeless as we have had a tsunami of mainland Chinese 'invest' in real estate here, driving the cost of housing to unbelievable heights. Millionaires are priced out of big cities--but that's where the jobs and services are...so its a huge dilemma.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th January 2022), Aragorn (3rd January 2022), Dreamtimer (4th January 2022), Gio (4th January 2022), Wind (4th January 2022)

Thanks
    Greetings OG, thank you for the re-welcoming ...

And i couldn't agree more with your analysis ...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th January 2022), Aragorn (4th January 2022), Dreamtimer (4th January 2022), Wind (4th January 2022)

Thanks
    Study finds ...

It’s the economy: Average American worries about finances
    this many times each day

January 5, 2022

New survey reveals that 3 in 10 people would give up bedroom romps for the ability to retire today!

NEW YORK — Budgets are tighter for millions of people with 2022 in full swing. Being money-conscious is nothing new for many of us, but new research shows the average American worries about their finances six times a day.

The poll of 2,000 adults to uncover how people feel about their finances also finds millennials are more focused on their finances than any other generation. They also worry about money the most – up to seven times a day.

Overall, respondents agreed millennials (30%) and Gen Z (22%) are better at managing their finances than their Gen X (14%) and baby boomer (18%) counterparts. Additionally, millennials are the most optimistic (78%) about where their finances will be in 10 years, while boomers are the least optimistic (57%).

Of all generations, millennials feel the most confident about their finances (79%), followed by boomers (65%) and Gen X (71%). Gen Z are the least confident in their financial skills (57%).

Managing your money responsibly

Commissioned by Affirm and conducted by OnePoll, the study revealed six in 10 Americans agree that living through the pandemic has made younger generations smarter about their finances than their older counterparts.

For example, Gen Z respondents seem to start investing in their savings earlier than any other generation. The results found 42 percent of Gen Z started or plan to start saving by age 25, compared to 28 percent of millennials, 24 percent of Gen X, and 17 percent of boomers.

The survey also looked at financial anxieties and the biggest hurdles each generation faces when it comes to finances. With money being the top source of anxiety for many Americans, the data revealed 43 percent of respondents would give up drinking alcohol for five years to retire today, while three in 10 would give up sex (30%) or their friendships (29%).

Just like the famous Beatles song, money can’t buy love – unless you’re a millennial it turns out. Over half (51%) of millennials say the ability to manage their finances is the top thing they look for in a partner, compared to a sense of humor for Gen Z, Gen X, and baby boomers.

When looking for a romantic partner, all respondents agree that a partner’s ability to manage their finances (45%) and their financial stability (45%) are more important than their physical appearance (39%). Furthermore, of those actively in the market for a partner, 68 percent would break up with someone if they managed their finances poorly.

Overspending is also a top concern across generations. More than half the poll (56%) often overextend their spending and are left in difficult financial positions. The number one habit that harms respondents’ budgets is making impulse purchases (41%), with ordering takeout (38%), going out with friends (34%), and getting hit with late fees (34%) following closely behind.

As respondents navigate the urge to overspend, the survey finds Americans are relying on pay-over-time solutions to stay on budget when shopping. Nearly half of all Americans (49%) (and 68 percent of millennials, specifically) won’t complete a purchase if a store does not offer a pay-over-time option at checkout.

1:13 min

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th January 2022), Aragorn (6th January 2022), Dreamtimer (6th January 2022), modwiz (6th January 2022), Wind (6th January 2022)

Thanks

Returning Topic

Time again to catch up with my favorite YouTube adventurer ...

Every video Kurt post i cringe and squirm through till the end ...
    And his latest adventures in a raw Pakistan city is no exception.

Description
    I am a South African/German bushman, doing what my DNA tells me to.

Kurt Caz

Caught in a Tricky Situation in Hyderabad

34:04 min.

Last edited by Gio, 8th January 2022 at 18:19.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th January 2022), Aragorn (8th January 2022), Dreamtimer (24th January 2022), modwiz (8th January 2022), Wind (8th January 2022)

Thanks

Thinking

If you were wondering ...

Why are Americans choosing to quit their jobs
    in record numbers?

The United States is seeing its highest “quit rate” since the government started keeping track two decades ago. Bill Whitaker speaks with employers who are scrambling to find help and people who left their jobs and aren’t looking back.
    Jan 9, 2022

13:24 min.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th January 2022), Aragorn (10th January 2022), Dreamtimer (16th January 2022), modwiz (10th January 2022), Wind (10th January 2022)

Thanks

Returning Topic

Something new ...

This young Russian businessman/vlogger makes some excellent videos capturing today's Russia, he speaks very good English as well as other languages. He has traveled extensively not only in his home country, but also in the United States. A link to his vast catalog of adventures is available here .
    Evening Walk in a New Moscow neighborhood. What's it like in New Moscow?

What is New Moscow?- an area annexed to Moscow as part of the most ambitious project of expanding Moscow. Lets visit a typical neighborhood and see what it's like living there.
    RussianPlus

Jan 15, 2022

25:09 minutes

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th January 2022), Aragorn (16th January 2022), Dreamtimer (16th January 2022), modwiz (16th January 2022), Wind (16th January 2022)

Thanks

Returning Topic

Ever wonder what it's really like riding the rails ....
    See it first hand from a professional...

Note, filmed during this week's most recent storm
    From Bristol,Tennessee to Roanoke, Virginia.

Snowy boxcar ride north

TheHoboShoestring

"Another mostly night ride but the fresh white snow was reflecting the city lights fairly well and actually showed up in a two minute night scene in this video. Anyway, I found a dry sheltered spot for the night."

About

I've been riding freight trains since 1989 and have since ridden over 2,700,000 of steel rails in 49 USA states, eight provinces of Canada and 14 states in Mexico.

I spent my first 31 years homeless riding trains then last year I had to get a small apartment because of medical issues. It's very hard having walls and a roof because I prefer to be outside. I still stay gone riding more than I stay in the little apartment.

Doing my best after getting hit by a car December 13 and ran over by a train October 2017. Hand and arm healed quite well!
    Thanks for watching!

Jan 17, 2022

48:43 min.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th January 2022), Aragorn (18th January 2022), Dreamtimer (19th January 2022), modwiz (18th January 2022), Wind (18th January 2022)

Thanks

Thumbs Up

And speaking professional
    Will share this here ...

Three brand new album selections recorded last month
    celebrating their new new album release

Raise the Roof

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss: Tiny Desk (Home) Concert

Bob Boilen | December 13, 2021

What a remarkable sight to see the reunion of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss gathered around a couple of microphones in Nashville. It's been 14 years since their surprising and remarkable album Raising Sand and now they're back at Sound Emporium, the studio where they recorded some of that first record and the entirety of their new album Raise The Roof.

Huddled in the control room are an all-star cast of musicians, with Jay Bellerose on drums, JD McPherson on guitar, Dennis Crouch on upright bass, Stuart Duncan on guitars and ukulele, and Viktor Krauss on electric bass and guitar. All of these folks minus JD McPherson played on the original recordings of the songs you'll hear in this Tiny Desk (home) concert.

They kick it off with the rockabilly sounds of "Can't Let Go," a song originally recorded by Lucinda Williams and written by Randy Weeks. For their second number, Robert Plant recalls a song he first heard as a 15-year-old listening to some great R&B by Bobby Moore & the Rhythm Aces. He and Alison Krauss put their hearts and harmonies into a cover of that song, "Searching For My Love." Alison takes the lead on the final tune "Trouble With My Lover," written by Allen Toussaint and recorded in the '60s by the "Lost Queen of New Orleans Soul," Betty Harris. These interpretations are delicate, gripping and so damn special.

SET LIST
    "Can't Let Go"
    "Searching For My Love"
    "Trouble With My Lover"

MUSICIANS
    Robert Plant: vocals
    Alison Krauss: vocals
    Jay Bellerose: percussion
    JD McPherson: guitar, backing vocals
    Dennis Crouch: upright bass
    Stuart Duncan: acoustic guitar, electric 12-string guitar, ukulele, backing vocals
    Viktor Krauss: electric bass, electric guitar
    11:30 min.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th January 2022), Aragorn (18th January 2022), Dreamtimer (19th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (18th January 2022), modwiz (18th January 2022), Wind (19th January 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Mmmmmmmmm.....

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th January 2022), Aragorn (19th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (19th January 2022), Gio (19th January 2022), modwiz (22nd January 2022), Wind (19th January 2022)

Thanks

Thumbs Up

A happy birthday and well deserved ...

Pakistani fine dining with Kurt Caz

Mulvey

It was last night in Karachi, so me and Kurt decided to treat ourselves to a nice meal. We actually found a different fine dining restaurant first - we went in, asked if we could film, they said yes, but as we were ordering they changed their minds and didn't want the free promo, so we went across the road to Chef's Table and the guys were super friendly, and the food, staff and experience was awesome.

This was both mine and @Kurt Caz's first time doing fine dining, and certainly both of our first times trying a 10 course menu. It's not something I'd do often, I'm happy with a pizza, but it was cool to try this without being totally ripped off like in most countries. Shout out Chef's Table's staff for being awesome and the owner for coming to say hello.

We had a week in Karachi, eating street food, going around hectic markets, going to Karachi's craziest beach, meeting some really friendly Pakistani people and overall having a really good time in a country that has a bad reputation due to the media. Hopefully me and Kurt Caz have helped to change that even a tiny bit to show you that Pakistani people are friendly.
    This Week

33:01 min.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd January 2022), Dreamtimer (23rd January 2022), modwiz (22nd January 2022), Wind (24th January 2022)

Thanks

Lightbulb

I recall it was Radagast (Modwiz) who first introduced us to this family (village) living system a few years ago here on the forum ...

The Mosuo in China - Where women rule

DW Documentary

In southwestern China, women have led families for centuries. Here, at the foot of the Himalayas, Lizajui is one of the last villages where matriarchal Mosuo traditions still rule.

A father’s role is much more limited here among the Mosuo, an ethnic minority in China. Although they father children, they do not live with them. There are no husbands. A man only shares a bed with his partner at night, heading home in the morning.

18-year-old Naka faces a tough decision: Is she ready to become the next Dape, the female head of the family? Or will she chase her dreams of joining a folk dancing group? In accordance with Mosuo custom, she lives with her maternal aunts and uncles. Tradition dictates that Naka should spend her whole life here. Her father, who lives with his own mother, is not part of the family. Just like other Mosuo couples, Naka's parents only see each other when night falls.

Naka's aunt serves as the head of the family. The aunt hopes that her niece, along with the entire family, will carry on the tradition. There is a lot of pressure: Naka is the last young girl of her generation left in the village. But is Naka ready to take on this traditional role? Or will she leave it all behind to start working as a dancer in the growing tourist industry near Lake Lugu? She is planning to make her decision on New Year's morning.

Naka talks to Duma, who recently faced the same dilemma. Her friend decided to carry on the Mosuo tradition. She does not live under the same roof as her partner and is preparing for a life as the Dape of her family. Naka's cousin Lamu, on the other hand, left the village and is now living in a tourist area. She broke with tradition by getting married. Against a backdrop of simmering cultural tensions, Naka is finally ready to make her decision.
    Jan 23, 2022

42:25 min.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd January 2022), Dreamtimer (24th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th January 2022), modwiz (23rd January 2022), Wind (24th January 2022)

Thanks

Returning Topic

The latest ...

FAMOUS GRAVE TOUR
    - Viewers Special #10 (John Belushi, Diahann Carroll, etc.)

Welcome to Hollywood Graveyard. Today I turn the camera over to you, the Hollywood Graveyard community, as we travel the world to visit famous and historical graves in your neck of the woods. In this video we're in New England and New York, to find legends like John Belushi, Emily Dickinson, Charles Bronson, Diahann Carroll, and many more ...

Intro - 0:00
    Vermont - 0:56
    New Hampshire - 2:50
    Massachusetts - 7:06
    Rhode Island - 17:12
    Connecticut - 20:55
    New York - 31:26

Hollywood Graveyard Videos

Jan 23, 2022

57:20

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th January 2022), Dreamtimer (27th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th January 2022), modwiz (26th January 2022), Wind (26th January 2022)

Thanks

Returning Topic

The life of the super-rich in Central Africa

DW Documentary

Many millionaires live in the Democratic Republic of Congo, one of the world's poorest countries. This film depicts some of those who have made fortunes amid the chaos, including musicians, mining bosses, entrepreneurs and preachers.

The DRC is rich in raw materials, but only a few profit from its natural resources. While 60% of Congo's inhabitants live on less than $1.25 per day, businessmen, artists, former rebel leaders and evangelists are reaping the rewards of economic growth. In the capital, Kinshasa, these new rich live in safe and luxurious enclaves, while children toil in coltan mines in the eastern part of the country.

Fally Ipupa has made his money with music. Others rely on their business acumen, like Patricia Nzolantima, who founded a taxi company and aims to give more opportunities to women.

With 3,000 mine workers, Cooperamma is the largest employer in North Kivu, in the east of the DRC. Managing director Robert Seninga says his coltan mines are extremely well-run, yet safety standards are poor. Coltan, a globally coveted mineral, is used in cell phones and other devices. It’s both a blessing and a curse for the Congo. It makes some rich, but for others it means death. The region still suffers from ethnic and factional conflicts, with money from illegal coltan smuggling financing new violence. It’s a vicious cycle.

[April 22, 2021: The former president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Joseph Kabila, in a letter to DW dated 16 April 2021, has rejected as false an estimate in the (aforementioned) documentary that he had amassed a fortune estimated at some 13 billion euros during his tenure in office. Kabila also claimed no sources had been cited supporting this report. The estimate was first published in “Forbes” magazine by American investigative journalist Richard Miniter in June 2014. The text of that article is currently not available online. Joseph Kabila is considered to be very wealthy, though he has never publicly declared his assets.]
    From Apr 3, 2021

42:26 min.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th January 2022), Dreamtimer (27th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (26th January 2022), modwiz (26th January 2022), Wind (26th January 2022)

Thanks

Returning Topic

Slumdogs to millionaires ...

Megacity Mumbai - From slums to skyscrapers

DW Documentary

Mumbai is a city of contrasts. Here, the super-rich and slum dwellers live side by side. As more and more luxury skyscrapers go up, slums are forced to make way for them. Conflicts ensue. So what is life like, in a megacity with 20 million inhabitants?

In Dharavi, Asia's largest slum, more than a million people live in extremely crowded conditions. But the neighbourhood is dynamic. We meet Mahesh, 27, who was born in the slum and has never left. Today, he runs a recycling plant that employs about 20 people.

Dharavi's shadow economy is said to bring in 800 million euros a year. However, the future of the neighbourhood is uncertain, as it sits on valuable property -- located right in the city centre. With the support of local authorities, real estate magnate Babulal Varma is tearing down slums to build luxury housing for the upper classes. Will Dharavi survive?

Mumbai is already one of the most populous cities in the world. By 2035, the population is projected to rise drastically -- to 30 million. The city’s inevitable expansion affects not only the people who live there, but also the forests that surround it. These include the "Sanjay Gandhi National Park". Now, the leopards living in the park have started to make regular forays into new housing developments, looking for food. They attack stray dogs, as well as humans. As urbanization continues, the conflict between humans and wild animals is sure to become more dire.
    Jan 29, 2022

41:56 min.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (29th January 2022), modwiz (29th January 2022), Wind (29th January 2022)