Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anger Is a Small Thing

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 397 Posts

Anger Is a Small Thing

Anger is a Small Thing - Its just our habit to exaggerate.

Anger Is a Small Thing

How can I be aware during strong emotions? My anger feels like thousands of wild horses are running away with me!

"Anger is a very small thing. If you can just wait and watch, you will not find “thousands of wild horses.” If you can find even a small donkey, that will be enough! Just watch it and it will go, slowly. It will enter from this side and will go out from the other side. You just have to keep a little patience not to ride on it.

Anger, jealousy, envy, greed, competitiveness...all our problems are very small, but our ego magnifies them, makes them as big as it can.

The ego cannot do otherwise; its anger has also to be great. By its great anger, and great misery, and great greed, and great ambition it becomes great.

But you are not the ego, you are only a watcher. Just stand by the side and let all the thousands of horses pass – let us see how long it takes for them to pass. There is no need to be worried. As they come – they are wild – they will go. But we don’t miss even a small donkey; we immediately jump on it! You don’t need thousands of wild horses. Just a small thing, and you are full of anger and fire. You will laugh about it later on, at how stupid you were.

If you can watch, without getting involved, as if it is something on the screen of a movie house or of a TV screen...something is passing; watch it. You are not supposed to do anything to prevent it, to repress it, to destroy it, to pull out a sword and kill it, because from where will you get the sword? – from the same source as the anger is coming.

It is all imagination.

Just watch, and don’t do anything – for or against.

And you will be surprised: that which was looking very big, becomes very, very small.
    But our habit is to exaggerate."

More @ this LINK
    Last edited by turiya, 5th November 2018 at 19:20.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (5th November 2018), Chris (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Melidae (5th November 2018), modwiz (5th November 2018), PurpleLama (5th November 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    Just a slight disagreement with the article...

Anger is like a warning light going off...warning you of something inside yourself that needs attention. Acknowledge it. Examine it. Look at it from as many sides as possible. What exactly has made you so angry...and why. What is it about what has been said or done that has triggered anger within. It could be your pride has been hurt...or a hidden fear has been awakened. It could be a myriad of things.

Don't turn away! Look within, not without...for that is where the answer is found. Then clean up the mess as best you can...inner work. It can be painful...looking at our own faults in the hidden places...but it is how we heal and grow.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (5th November 2018), Chris (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Fred Steeves (5th November 2018), modwiz (5th November 2018), PurpleLama (5th November 2018), turiya (6th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Melidae View Post
    Just a slight disagreement with the article...

Anger is like a warning light going off...warning you of something inside yourself that needs attention. Acknowledge it. Examine it. Look at it from as many sides as possible. What exactly has made you so angry...and why. What is it about what has been said or done that has triggered anger within. It could be your pride has been hurt...or a hidden fear has been awakened. It could be a myriad of things.

Don't turn away! Look within, not without...for that is where the answer is found. Then clean up the mess as best you can...inner work. It can be painful...looking at our own faults in the hidden places...but it is how we heal and grow.
    All good stuff Melidae, my Buddha within bows deeply to careful and thorough self examination.

Would you agree though that there is such a difference as useful anger, and non useful anger? Certainly if one is say, angry at the whole world in general because of built up, and unprocessed inner shit, that is not useful in the least.

But now what about if say, you come across someone physically hurting a loved one? Might the immediate action taken to end the situation because of that flash of anger, be considered a useful anger?
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (5th November 2018), Chris (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Melidae (5th November 2018), modwiz (6th November 2018), PurpleLama (5th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    All good stuff Melidae, my Buddha within bows deeply to careful and thorough self examination.

Would you agree though that there is such a difference as useful anger, and non useful anger? Certainly if one is say, angry at the whole world in general because of built up, and unprocessed inner shit, that is not useful in the least.

But now what about if say, you come across someone physically hurting a loved one? Might the immediate action taken to end the situation because of that flash of anger, be considered a useful anger?
    Your question was not directed at me, Hermano Frederico, but if my perspective might be welcomed, then I would say that anger definitely has its purpose in Creation. I do not see anger as coming from the ego, but rather as an energy buildup originating from dissonance.

It is however imperative to understand the cause(s) of the dissonance. In the example you cited above, the anger is both useful and justified.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Chris (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th November 2018), Fred Steeves (5th November 2018), Melidae (5th November 2018), modwiz (6th November 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post

I've never considered anger as being anything other than anger, and useful feedback to something that is going on within.

I will need a think on useful/non-useful anger...(righteous anger?)

As for your example...I lived it, having an ex-husband who was extremely abusive to my children and myself. I was not aware of any emotion when my intervention was needed. I did what was necessary to save my children from attack...as well as myself. I fought back always...something that most likely saved our lives according to the therapist I sought help from when I could no longer take any kind of control of situations. There's something about having a gun in your face that says things have gone too far, fear of what would happen if I left be damned. I needed help to get us out...I asked for it...and received it...and will always be grateful for the love and support we received along the way.

I must add that I have always been the kind of person who, when crisis occurs, automatically/unconsciously sets all emotions aside and does what is required at the time, when a clear mind is needed most. When the crisis is over and I am alone, the emotions come pouring out. You cannot think clearly when emotional...at least I cannot.

Great post, Fred.
    Last edited by Melidae, 5th November 2018 at 23:08. Reason: edited too many times to count...striving for clarity

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (5th November 2018), Chris (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th November 2018), Fred Steeves (5th November 2018), modwiz (6th November 2018), turiya (6th November 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Your question was not directed at me, Hermano Frederico, but if my perspective might be welcomed, then I would say that anger definitely has its purpose in Creation. I do not see anger as coming from the ego, but rather as an energy buildup originating from dissonance.

It is however imperative to understand the cause(s) of the dissonance. In the example you cited above, the anger is both useful and justified.
    I had the same thought as I was reading this thread. Anger is an energy of sorts, though it does have its own particular vibration. We express that vibratory frequency with colour references, such as "seeing red" or with flow metaphors, like "seething with rage" or "bottled-up anger". It is definitely something that flows, like a liquid energy. We can feel it build up and then slowly dissipate. One of the hardest things to learn is to keep this anger in check and be in control of it in any given situation, releasing it only when it is absolutely necessary, such as when you or your loved ones are being physically attacked. I agree that it is a necessary component of life, in fact survival in a harsh environment demands it. Righteous anger and rage can be a powerful force, making the wielder of this energetic weapon quite unstoppable.

In nature, honey badgers are known for defeating and repelling much larger foes, such as lions, simply through their angry and dogged nature (they are also tough physically, but half the battle is won psychologically). Mothers protecting their cubs are given a wide berth by most predators, because they know instinctively how fierce a mother can be when protecting their offspring, these are all examples of righteous anger, when it actually serves as a very effective weapon.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Fred Steeves (5th November 2018), Melidae (6th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    As for your example...I lived it, having an ex-husband who was extremely abusive to my children and myself. I was not aware of any emotion when my intervention was needed. I did what was necessary to save my children from attack...as well as myself. I fought back always...
    Whew... Well first off, now I may know the source of the great strength I see in you.

The portion I highlighted digs right into one aspect of what I was contemplating before responding to your earlier post: "Where is the dividing line between anger, and action?"

I must add that I have always been the kind of person who, when crisis occurs, automatically/unconsciously sets all emotions aside and does what is required at the time, when a clear mind is needed most. When the crisis is over and I am alone, the emotions come pouring out. You cannot think clearly when emotional...at least I cannot.
    I'm the exact same way. So is my wife of 20 years.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Melidae (6th November 2018), modwiz (6th November 2018), PurpleLama (6th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by turiya View Post

Anger Is a Small Thing

How can I be aware during strong emotions? My anger feels like thousands of wild horses are running away with me!

"Anger is a very small thing. If you can just wait and watch, you will not find “thousands of wild horses.” If you can find even a small donkey, that will be enough! Just watch it and it will go, slowly. It will enter from this side and will go out from the other side. You just have to keep a little patience not to ride on it.

Anger, jealousy, envy, greed, competitiveness...all our problems are very small, but our ego magnifies them, makes them as big as it can.

The ego cannot do otherwise; its anger has also to be great. By its great anger, and great misery, and great greed, and great ambition it becomes great.

But you are not the ego, you are only a watcher. Just stand by the side and let all the thousands of horses pass – let us see how long it takes for them to pass. There is no need to be worried. As they come – they are wild – they will go. But we don’t miss even a small donkey; we immediately jump on it! You don’t need thousands of wild horses. Just a small thing, and you are full of anger and fire. You will laugh about it later on, at how stupid you were.

If you can watch, without getting involved, as if it is something on the screen of a movie house or of a TV screen...something is passing; watch it. You are not supposed to do anything to prevent it, to repress it, to destroy it, to pull out a sword and kill it, because from where will you get the sword? – from the same source as the anger is coming.

It is all imagination.

Just watch, and don’t do anything – for or against.

And you will be surprised: that which was looking very big, becomes very, very small.
    But our habit is to exaggerate."

More @ this LINK
    Interesting, I was just hearing that's the way recruitment to various fringe organizations is conducted. Bombard with propaganda then step 2 is to start providing links. So far, you're earning your money, Turiya...you're right on track.

I've never considered anger as being anything other than anger, and useful feedback to something that is going on within.

I will need a think on useful/non-useful anger...(righteous anger?)

As for your example...I lived it, having an ex-husband who was extremely abusive to my children and myself. I was not aware of any emotion when my intervention was needed. I did what was necessary to save my children from attack...as well as myself. I fought back always...something that most likely saved our lives according to the therapist I sought help from when I could no longer take any kind of control of situations. There's something about having a gun in your face that says things have gone too far, fear of what would happen if I left be damned. I needed help to get us out...I asked for it...and received it...and will always be grateful for the love and support we received along the way.

Great post, Fred.
    Been there, done that...I suppose the one difference was that my first instinct was to kill...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I had the same thought as I was reading this thread. Anger is an energy of sorts, though it does have its own particular vibration. We express that vibratory frequency with colour references, such as "seeing red" or with flow metaphors, like "seething with rage" or "bottled-up anger". It is definitely something that flows, like a liquid energy.
    Wow, I guess today is my day to open up and reveal things about myself that I may not be proud of. I do this in hopes someone may benefit from the telling.

Anger has a vibration and frequency...never thought of it before, but it is so true. Thanks, Chris.

In my teenage years (back in the dark ages...haha) I would be in the middle of an argument and at some point my vision would become totally red. I used to say that I would "red out"...like blacking out but seeing red. When the color would dissipate, I would find myself saying the meanest, most vicious things to the person I was arguing with. Having a Scorpio ascendent, I could see a persons weakest points...and during a rage, would hit every one of those points just to hurt. I was about 17 years old the last time I saw red. I hurt someone I loved dearly...someone who understood I needed to get it out no matter how much it hurt him. The words were worse than physical blows...the physical can heal...words cannot be taken back.

That seems like a lifetime ago and like it happened to someone else. But that was me then. It was the catalyst for the inner work I've been doing ever since.

I've learned I can be a powerful force without anger...righteous or not.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Fred Steeves (6th November 2018), modwiz (6th November 2018), PurpleLama (6th November 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred.

I think the key is in doing what is necessary, no matter what. Things done in anger, righteous or not, can get out of hand too easily. Whether it be considered a justifiable act or not, it is too easy to lose control of a situation when angry... which could possibly be used against you.

No regrets. I do inner work so when I leave this world, I can honestly say I've done everything I can to have no regrets. Mistakes? Yeah, I've made way too many of them. They are learning tools to help ourselves and others.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Fred Steeves (6th November 2018), PurpleLama (6th November 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 397 Posts
    The is nothing wrong with Anger.

Anger is energy. It needs a movement. Emotional energy needs expression. It is not intended to be stagnant or stagnated. That's what the word 'e-motion' means. Emotional energy needs to move. Emotional energy needs expression. Preventing it from doing so, is masochism. 'Controlling' it, holding it, preventing it from being expressed is a road to ruin.

Preventing it from being expressed, this is done so that it is not seen by others. So others will not be disturbed by it. So society can go on its merry way, looking good, looking civilized. While the one holding onto anger, holds it inside oneself, so nobody sees it. So nobody is effected by it. This is called 'repression'. It is preventing the energy from moving outwardly, from its being expressed. From moving naturally in an outward flow of expression.

To hold it in, to prevent it. So that nobody else gets disturbed by it. Day after day, year after year... it accumulates within.

Society has taught its members to repress certain emotions that need to be expressed. Anger, jealousy, showing tears of sadness, even laughter is not acceptable in certain social situations. One has to 'control' oneself. Society teaches its members at an early age. The parents, the schools, the Sunday schools of church. The programming is done early in childhood. So when the child grows up & has children of their own, they then become the programmers of their own children.

The society has coordinated this - the programming of its members - so the society will look healthy, will look good on the surface. But, underneath, volcanoes are being created, and some individuals will explode in violent rage. People will suffer, & people will die - people have died!

And, the members of that society, through emotional repression, who don't blow their stacks, will end up becoming ill from the emotion crap that is eating their muscles, their organs, their bones & their brains.

This repression is subtle, it is not easily seen by others, by other members of society, that the individual is accumulating great amounts of emotion energy. It collects within the body, within the mind of the individual - the subconscious - and nobody sees that the person is holding, accumulating & storing their emotional garbage, which is in desperate need of expression.

Over time, the accumulation of unexpressed emotion becomes volcanic-like. With so much pent-up energy. The control mechanism cannot last forever, one cannot hold on to a branch of a tree for very long. The hands get tired, the grip loosens, the finger's grip weakens, then the great fall into the abyss... The volcano erupts. The hot lava flows. The explosion can be devastating to many that are within close proximity.

And, when the pressure has built to such an extreme degree, all it takes is just one small tiny scratch of the skin, and all that pent-up energy comes bursting wide open. The dam breaks, and many people can be swept away, and injured. And many can be blown away by it. Many people have been blown away by it.

But who's responsibility is it, really? The society will never admit that it has been behind this scheme. Society is masochistic. It teaches its members, rewards its members to hurt themselves. People are programmed to repress. But the society never teaches its members how to properly release this pent-up energy, to express this energy in a civilized manner. No!

Instead, the society simply collects the benefit from this programming of its members. The society grows rich off of the programming. It looks healthy, it looks civilized because of this programming. But 'civilized' is only on the surface. It only goes skin-deep. The building of explosive rage, is ongoing, it is the undercurrent. Sure, create a war. This will help many to express the emotions that they've been sitting on day after day, year after year, decade after decade. War is cyclical. It helps for the release.

In other words, the survival of the society, the well-being of a society, is perpetuated at the cost of its members hurting themselves. By teaching them to be good masochists, to be good conformists, to be good 'team' members, to hurt themselves as a group, to damage themselves, and then let them go on 'sick-leave'. Society looks good on the surface, looks like it cares, looks like a healthy society, a rich society, a civilized society. But, this comes at the cost of the mental & physical well-being of its members.

The society survives, flourishes. And, the human beings that make up this so-called 'civilized' society are the ones that suffer from the consequences - mental illness, physical medical problems, prison sentences, hospital stays, divorces, murders, abuses, rapes, schizophrenia, and list goes on....

In the end, the society blames its members. Fines its members, taxes its members, imprisons its members, electrocutes its members, hospitalizes its members, makes money off its members, in an ongoing game of exploitation. And, provides no way, no method, no practice - no nothing - for a way, so its members can remain both physically & mentally healthy from its programmed masochistic practices. This is inexcusable. And grossly unacceptable. This needs to change. Absolutely.
    Last edited by turiya, 6th November 2018 at 02:49.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Melidae (6th November 2018), modwiz (6th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Quote Originally posted by turiya View Post
    [...]

More @ this LINK
    Interesting, I was just hearing that's the way recruitment to various fringe organizations is conducted. Bombard with propaganda then step 2 is to start providing links. So far, you're earning your money, Turiya...you're right on track.
    There was no need for that, NotAPretender.

turiya's post was an article from an external website about spiritual subjects. It has nothing to do with politics, and while the article he quoted presents a very specific opinion on account of anger and how to deal with it, it does not contain any propaganda of any kind.

Considering both of the aforementioned, your comment on turiya's post — which you once again included in your post in its entirety without trimming the quotes — cannot be construed as warranted criticism anymore, but rather comes across as a cloaked ad hominem.

I believe I've already told you this elsewhere, but just for the record, I'm going to repeat it...: I would appreciate it if you were to leave moderation to the staff. That's what we're here for, and even if I say so myself, we're pretty damn good at it.

Note for turiya: Please don't apply any coloring to embedded links, because it only makes things more confusing for our members and visitors alike.

I have set things up so that over here at The One Truth and at our sister forum Eye-Rise, links embedded into posts and private messages are by default colorized in the officially named HTML color Orange (color code #FFA500, also known as the officially named HTML color Papaya Orange) for the normal view, and that on mouse-over, they change to the officially named HTML color Red (color code #FF0000) with an underscore effect.

(Note: This shade of red is not the same color as used for administrators here and at Eye-Rise. Said color is the unnamed #FF0040 instead.)

All of our members are accustomed to these visuals by now, and I think our visitors will be quite capable of understanding this presentation as well. By consequence, if you are going to apply your own coloring to embedded links, then you're also going to have to explicitly point out with each of those links that they are, indeed, clickable links — or at least, if you do want the readers to grok that. And therefore, by colorizing your links, you are creating more (and needless) work for yourself.

As an additional hint — given that I've seen you make attempts at colorizing the names of the members whom you are addressing personally in your replies — I have created several BBcode tags which automatically colorize the names of members according to their role here on the forum. Their use follows the standard BBcode syntax of "[xyz]member name[/xyz]", whereby the "xyz" should be replaced by the following keywords for the matching color:

• adm (administrators)
    • smod (super moderators)
    • mod (moderators)
    • member (regular members)
    • sab (members on sabbatical)
    • dec (deceased members)
    • ret (retired members)
    • bot (official The One Truth bots)

Note: There is no BBcode tag for banned members, because their names are in the officially named HTML color Black (#000000), which can easily be selected from the color picker menu in the toolbar of the editor.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 6th November 2018 at 03:32. Reason: addendum: added the footnote
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Melidae (6th November 2018), modwiz (6th November 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts

Great post, Fred.
    I can relate to that, Melidae. It's the same way with me. My husband will freak out. I keep my head and take action. Then later the emotions will manifest. The best benefit has been modeling that for my son. He also keeps his head cool in crisis.

My sister-in-law freaks out. Which is weird because she's a nurse. I think she can keep calm when it's other people, but when it's close to home she gets very anxious.

My sister-in-law sees red. Those are the words she uses. I worry about her because sometimes I think she's addicted to her anger. (As she's on the other side of the country, I don't get regularly subjected to it)
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 6th November 2018 at 12:48.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Melidae (6th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    There was no need for that, NotAPretender.
    Fair enough, Aragorn,

But I see her posts as just another form of manipulation. She is playing this forum like the proverbial fine-tuned stradivarius. But I'll stop...I think it is pretty obvious where I stand... thanks
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 6th November 2018 at 12:59.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    To hold it in, to prevent it. So that nobody else gets disturbed by it. Day after day, year after year... it accumulates within.
    Our parents taught us how to deal with anger. I grew up assuming that all parents did that. My dad had a temper. He had to learn to control it so it didn't control him. He was able to be both a boss and a dad without losing his temper and taking it out on us or his employees.

My brother had an equally bad temper and my parents worked with him to learn to handle it. He's a dad and does not lose his temper at his kids.

What he does do, sometimes, is take out his pent up emotions on other people, but not in a professional capacity.

Turiya is a dude, NAP.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 6th November 2018 at 12:59.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th November 2018), Melidae (6th November 2018)