Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Anger Is a Small Thing

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 397 Posts
    Beyond Indulgence and Repression...

Become more watchful and anger will be less and greed will be less and jealousy will be less.

I don’t say to you: 'Don’t be angry,' because that’s what has been said to you down the ages.

Your so-called saints have been telling you, “Don’t be angry!” so you have learned ways of repressing anger. But the more you repress anger, the bigger the unconscious you are creating in yourself. You are throwing things into the basement, and then you will be afraid to enter into the basement, because all these things – anger and greed and sex – are there. You know! You have been throwing them there. All kinds of rubbish are there, and dangerous, poisonous. You will not be ready to go in.

That’s why people don’t want to go in, because going in means encountering all these things. And nobody wants to encounter these things; one wants to avoid them. For thousands of years you have been told to repress, and because of repression you have become more and more unconscious. I cannot say to you repress. I would like to say to you just the opposite: don’t repress – watch, be alert.

When anger arises, sit down in your room, close your doors and watch it.

You know only two ways: either to be angry, be violent, destructive, or to repress it. You don’t know the third way, and the third way is the way of the buddhas: neither indulge nor repress – watch.

Indulgence creates habit. If you become angry today and again tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow again, you are creating a habit; you are conditioning yourself to be more and more angry. So indulgence cannot take you out of it.

That’s where the modern growth movement is stuck. Encounter groups, primal therapy, gestalt, bioenergetics...and so many beautiful things are happening in the world, but they are stuck at a certain point. Their problem is: they teach expression – and it is good, it is far better than repression.

If there is only this choice, repress or express, then I would suggest express. But this is not the real choice; there is a third alternative, far more important than both these.

If you express, you become habitual; you learn by doing it again and again – you can’t get out of it.

In this commune there are at least fifty therapy groups running, for a certain reason. It is just to balance the thousands of years of repression; it is just to balance. It is just to bring to light all that you have repressed as Christians, Hindus, Mohammedans, Jainas, Buddhists. It is just to undo the centuries’ old harm that has been done to you.

But remember, these groups are not the end; they only prepare you for meditation. They are not the goal; they are just simple means to undo the wrong of the past.

Once you have thrown out of your system all that you have been repressing all along, I have to lead you into watchfulness. Now it will be easier to watch.

Indulgence creates habit, repression gathers the poison within. In indulgence you throw the poison on others, but they are not going to remain silent – they will throw it back. It becomes a match: you throw your anger on others, they throw their anger on you – but nobody is helped, everybody is harmed and hurt.

And if you repress.... Because of this futility of indulgence, priests invented repression. It keeps you out of danger. Repression keeps you a good citizen, a gentleman. It keeps you out of the dangers of getting caught by the law, getting caught into enmity; it keeps you smooth. Repression helps you to become a better social person, that’s true. But it makes you a wound inside, just a wound, and the pus goes on gathering inside. Outside it functions as a lubricating agent, but inside you become more and more mad.

Meditate – meditation means watchfulness – and you will attain to freedom and bliss.

Osho, The Dhammapada: The Way of the Buddha, Vol. 1, Talk #5
    Last edited by turiya, 18th December 2018 at 00:07.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2018), Aragorn (18th December 2018), Dreamtimer (18th December 2018), Melidae (19th December 2018), modwiz (19th December 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 397 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Sylvie of New Earth speaks of anger near the end of her TOT interview, at 45:45. Anger is no small thing to her.
    Sylvie Ivanova:

"By contributing to the cleansing of our planet from these parasitic influences, I am uprooting various contaminations from my own being.

Now, when I say contaminations, that has a very subtle meaning. For example, I may see it as uprooting violence from myself. No, I'm not a violent person. You know - hitting people, or anything like this - I haven't been like this in this lifetime - never. But for me, even getting angry at somebody, for even a fraction of a second, I see this as violence."

If Sylvie really believes this... that "getting angry at somebody, for even a fraction of a second, I see this as violence."

And that, "By contributing to the cleansing of our planet from these parasitic influences, I am uprooting various contaminations from my own being."

If she really believes this, then perhaps, she would explain then, how people could ever come together to kiss, hug & make up?

EXISTENCE is paradoxical; paradox is its very core. It exists through opposites, it is a balance in the opposites. And one who learns how to balance becomes capable of knowing what life is, what existence is, what God is. The secret key is balance.

A few things before we enter into this story.... First, we have been trained in Aristotelian logic -- which is linear, one-dimensional. Life is not Aristotelian at all, it is Hegelian.

Logic is not linear, logic is dialectical. The very process of life is dialectic, a meeting of the opposites -- a conflict between the opposites and yet a meeting of the opposites. And life goes through this dialectical process: from thesis to antithesis, from antithesis to synthesis -- and then again the synthesis becomes a thesis. The whole process starts again.

If Aristotle is true then there will be only men and no women, or, only women and no men. If the world was made according to Aristotle then there will be only light and no darkness, or, only darkness and no light. That would be logical. There would be either life or death but not both.

But life is not based on Aristotle's logic, life has both. And life is really possible only because of both, because of the opposites: man and woman, yin and yang, day and night, birth and death, love and hate. Life consists of both.

This is the first thing you have to allow to sink deep into your heart -- because Aristotle is in everybody's head. The whole education system of the world believes in Aristotle -- although for the very advanced scientific minds Aristotle is out of date. He no longer applies. Science has gone beyond Aristotle because science has come closer to Existence.

And now science understands that life is dialectical, not logical.
    I have heard....

Do you know that on Noah's ark, making love was forbidden while on board?

When the couples filed out of the ark after the flood, Noah watched them leave. Finally the tom-cat and the she-cat left, followed by a number of very young kittens. Noah raised his eyebrows questioningly and the tom-cat said to him, 'And, you thought we were fighting!'

Noah must have been Aristotelian; the tom-cat knew better. -- Osho, The Art of Dying, Chapter 3

Last edited by turiya, 19th December 2018 at 01:26.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2018), Aragorn (18th December 2018), Chris (19th December 2018), Dreamtimer (20th December 2018), Melidae (19th December 2018), modwiz (19th December 2018)