Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Anger Is a Small Thing

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, the thing with Rolls Royces is that they're usually meant to be driven by someone else, with the owner sitting in the backseat and drinking champagne. And that has never been my style. I prefer sitting behind the wheel myself.

Besides, if it's all the same with you, then I'd rather have a McLaren than a Rolls. Christmas will be coming up soon <hint hint>.
    No no no...I've seen young mothers driving Rolls Royce with their toddlers in the back seat at Tesco here in Scotland. I don't think there was champagne in the bottle.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (20th November 2018), Dreamtimer (20th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (20th November 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Whiskey in the milk? Just joking!

Seamus Kennedy jokes about how his mother would rub his gums with whiskey to numb them while he was teething.

He stopped teething at 17.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (20th November 2018), Elen (21st November 2018), Emil El Zapato (20th November 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Whiskey in the milk? Just joking!

Seamus Kennedy jokes about how his mother would rub his gums with whiskey to numb them while he was teething.

He stopped teething at 17.
    Great call!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (21st November 2018), Dreamtimer (21st November 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st November 2018)

Thanks
    Weirdly, I heard this cult come up on the radio yesterday.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (23rd November 2018), Elen (22nd November 2018), Emil El Zapato (22nd November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    So what's the word, DT...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (23rd November 2018), Elen (22nd November 2018)

Thanks
    Anger is not a small thing...A brilliant life lost.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dsd0afiU8AAda0g.jpg:large

"Sandra Parks knew too much about death, even at age 13.

“We are in a state of chaos. In a city in which I live, I hear and see examples of chaos almost everyday. Little children are victims of senseless gun violence,” Parks wrote.

Two years have passed since the young teen wrote about gun violence in her Milwaukee neighborhood. She called her essay “Our Truth” — a sobering reminder that, as she said, people’s poor choices and hatred have led to so much violence. She wrote about trying to escape from the chaos, from the “black on black crime” that depressed her. Sometimes she would put on her headphones, she wrote, and let the music take her away.

But she couldn’t escape from it.

Days before Thanksgiving Day this year, Parks was in her bedroom when a bullet fired from a gun outside, aimed at no one in particular, pierced a hole through her home and landed in her chest, officials said.

“Momma, I’m shot,” she told her mother.

Parks, the girl who called for peace and empathy, died Monday night.

“Tragically, her death was caused by someone who just decided they were going to shoot bullets into her house, and she’s dead. A 13-year-old, on Thanksgiving week, on a school night, in her bedroom, and she died,” Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett (D) told reporters Tuesday.

Investigators have not said why gunshots were fired at the teen’s home, a few miles north of downtown Milwaukee. Perhaps the gunman wanted to “settle a score, express anger, try to scare someone,” Barrett said.

“All we know,” he said, “is that a 13-year-old died last night in her bedroom.”

8th grade Keefe Avenue student Sandra Parks was killed by a stray bullet while in her own home last night. She was a Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. writing contest winner. The topic of her winning essay:

Bernice Parks, Sandra’s mother, told police she was awakened by gunshots shortly before 8 p.m., according to a criminal complaint cited by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. She saw her daughter bleeding on the floor.

“She said, ‘Momma, I’m shot. Call the police,’” Parks told Fox affiliate WITI, her voice breaking as she sobbed. “I looked at her. She didn’t cry. She wasn’t hollering. She was just so peaceful. … She didn’t deserve to leave this world like that.”

Police have arrested Isaac Barnes, 26, and Untrell Oden, 27. They were walking home from a store when Barnes began to fire at no one in particular, Oden told detectives, the Journal Sentinel reported.

Authorities said Barnes’s ex-girlfriend told a police officer that she suspected he was involved in the shooting. She was parked on a street near Sandra’s home earlier that night when Barnes, masked and armed with a rifle, approached her, the Journal Sentinel reported.

“You lucky the kids are in the car. I was going to fan you down,” Barnes said, the woman told police.

Isaac Barnes, 26, (left) and Untrell Oden, 27, have been charged in connection with the death of Sandra Parks, 13. (Milwaukee County Jail)
    Officers searched the neighborhood and found Barnes and Oden hiding in a house a few blocks away. An AK-47 rifle was in a bedroom, and an AK-47 handgun had been thrown in a kitchen trash can. Authorities say four shell casings found outside Sandra’s home were fired from the handgun, the Journal Sentinel reported.

Barnes is charged with first-degree reckless homicide with a dangerous weapon and endangering safety. He and Oden, both convicted felons, are also charged with illegal possession of a gun.

In 2016, Milwaukee Public Schools held an essay contest about Martin Luther King Jr. Sandra, then a sixth-grader, won third place. She chose to write about gun violence because the world had failed to live up to the civil rights leader’s dream, she said in an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio.

“The world that we have become now is, like, that all you hear about is somebody dying and somebody getting shot, and people do not just think about whose father, son or granddaughter or grandson that was that you just killed,” Sandra said.

The teen, who was in eighth grade when she died, had hoped to go to college to be a writer, her mother wrote in a GoFundMe page set up to help the family pay for memorial services. It has raised more than $10,000 as of Thursday morning.

The Washington Post was unable to reach Bernice Parks on Thursday.

“I never felt so lost,” she wrote on Facebook. “My chest feels like a [boulder] is smashing down on my heart. I need peace. I lost my love.”

Speaking to reporters this week, the mother of three could barely catch her breath as she sobbed and buried her face into a relative’s chest.

“She was everything this world was not. … She went through a lot, and every time she was down, my baby picked herself up. … She always picked herself up. … She was my angel from the time she was in my womb to the time she came out. She’s still going to be my angel,” Parks said.

On Tuesday, neighbors, friends and relatives gathered for a vigil for Sandra. Bernice Parks stood in front of reporters, wrapped in a light-pink blanket, with a picture of her daughter’s face pinned to her jacket. A man carried the plaque Sandra won for her essay two years ago.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (23rd November 2018), Dreamtimer (23rd November 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 397 Posts
    Not relevant.
    "...a bullet fired from a gun outside, aimed at no one in particular, pierced a hole through her home and landed in her chest, officials said."

That would make it an accident. An unfortunate accident, due to ignoring the safe use of a firearm.

Perhaps, you want to start up your own thread with a suggested title,

"Ignorance is a Yuuge Thing"

Last edited by turiya, 24th November 2018 at 19:06.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (23rd November 2018)

Thanks
    Why don't you start a thread where you actually demonstrate a real "synthesized' thought...

actually i apologize for that...

Let me say it this way...Anger is a small thing is inane...Life itself speaks against that mantra that 'somebody' pulled from somebody else's muddled brain.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 23rd November 2018 at 10:29. Reason: remove ad hominem

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Only my opinion Turiya, wear the emotional energy of our fellow member above, as a badge of honour, we all heal best able, they are amazing also.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd November 2018), turiya (22nd November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Only feel half the mirror NAP, hat helps, pain is E, angrrrrr is energy, you r winning, fighting the universe ( I call it ) requires much energy.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd November 2018), Emil El Zapato (22nd November 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    First-hand, second-hand, third-hand... Knowledge
    First hand, second hand, third hand
    Posted by L.R. Miller

First-hand versus second-hand vs. third-hand ; experience as a gauge for Truth.

• first-hand knowledge/information = information you have from directly experiencing the subject; knowledge from personal _experience_.

• second-hand knowledge/information = information from someone with first-hand experience; knowledge learnt from someone who _experienced_ the subject. For example, having an event related to you by someone who experienced it. Or, being taught a skill by someone with experience*.

• third-hand information = "story" ; information from people who did not experience the subject and who may not have learned that information from people with second-hand experience.

Further degrees of separation can be classified (as "4th-hand", "5th-hand", etc.; see below), but generally "third-hand" is meant to encompass any knowledge/information that is not "first-hand" or "second-hand".

Because any number of intermediate steps (degrees of separation from first-hand experience) can exist in "third-hand information," such information should be assumed to be unreliable; even when presented as 'fact,' or with an 'air of authority', this type of indirect knowledge can be based on rumor or hearsay.

Even with a source of information assumed to be reliable (e.g. a book), the information is often not even second-hand (from neither direct or indirect personal experience) and, furthermore, is modified (intentionally or unintentionally; by theory, opinion, rhetoric, similar experiences, et al.) by the third-hand source (e.g. the AUTHOR)!!! (Emphasis is mine.)

Why are these distinctions important?

Thinking about how far away from direct experience (which could be called "knowledge") any information may be is supposed to be a way to remind yourself that what-you-think-you-know may not be "truth," or may not be as reliable as it first seems.

One interesting and relevant example is Television News (broadcast journalism, as opposed to print journalism).

On news-shows, you will often see a "reporter" who has been sent to the location where an event took place. This is designed to give you the _impression_ that you are getting *first-hand* information about an event. But, in fact, you may not even be getting second-hand information, let alone first-hand.

The reporter almost always has arrived at the scene after the event has taken place. Furthermore, they usually don't have the time to find and talk to multiple people with first-hand experience. And do you actually know if information they are relating to you is from a first-hand source?

This is how the distinction of 'what degree of separation from experience?' can be a useful tool: you can better gauge what level of confidence you have about a "story" if you ask yourself if what you are hearing is first-hand, second-hand, or third-hand.

For example, when the reporter says "We spoke to so-and-so at the scene, and he told us..." you could ask yourself:

• "Does so-and-so have first-hand information?" Or,
    • Is 'so-and-so' someone like a Captain, or someone who's job it is to speak to the press? If so, do you know if they experienced the event?
    • Do you know if the person questioned by the reporter received information from one, many, or no people with first-hand experience yet?

Because, it could be the case that the person quoted is, in fact, another person without first-hand experience (direct knowledge) of what happened.

And thinking about whether the information is connected to direct experience, you may then realize that, even though it seems like you are getting reliable information--because the reporter is where the event occurred, or the person interviewed could be assumed to have gotten multiple first-hand reports--you don't actually know if you are getting second-hand or third-hand information. This can help you to realize you may not know the whole story, or may not know the true story.

Further degrees of separation from experience (4th-hand, 5th-hand,...)

Theoretical examples of further "handedness": degrees of separation from first-hand experience/knowledge:

• fourth-hand information: Learning from books (for subjects other than skills).

• fifth-hand information: Information from someone who learned from books (including skills, unless that person also has first-hand experience [practice*]).

• sixth-hand information: Information from sources like Wikipedia (where the authors do not have 1st- or 2nd-hand information, and have not even obtained 4th- or 5th- hand information; i.e. cases where neither the author nor the author's source have any connection to "experience").

SOURCE

Note from the above L.R. Miller article that kicked off this particular post:

I wrote this blog article in reaction to hearing Tom Cruise say "There's first-hand data, second-hand data, and third-hand data.... and third-hand data is way out there." Maybe it can , in some small way, help prevent such an unclear statement on the subject from ever being spoken again ;-)
    Last edited by turiya, 24th November 2018 at 19:33.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (23rd November 2018), Melidae (22nd November 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Classic 'Fake News' Journalism...
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    I don't know man, the evidence most certainly doesn't point in that direction. Yes, that's him driving in both pictures folks.

Hint: Look up Rajneeshpuram, Oregon. I'll list just one sample link, but they all tell pretty much the same story....

https://www.carmrades-blog.com/all-a...lls-royce-guru
    Fred Steeves, in considering what has been said in the above Post #103, I would call this article that you provided the one sample link to, which I suppose you considered it to be the best example that you had found, is coming from what can be referred to as a third-rate... er... I mean... a third-hand, unreliable source. Keyword would be 'unreliable'.

It appears that the blogger, Kyle Ashdown, is a car buff. And, he probably chose to write this blog article on Rajneesh because of his own infatuation with automobiles. (See link: All Articles).

And then, to go on & write an article entitled "The True Story of the The Rolls-Royce Guru", I would bet dollars to your doughnuts, Fred Steeves, that this guy never stepped one foot into the Rajneeshpuram commune, let alone, anywhere else within the entire State of Oregon. Yet, he knows the 'True Story' about what was going on there, in a place where he's never ever been to before in his entire life.

As a matter of fact, the date he wrote this article was October 2, 2016 (See the url to see the date of his blog article).

So let's see.... October 10, 1984 is when the so-called Rajneeshee bioterror attack took place. So...... October 2016 - October 1984 = 32 years. So, this so-called author wrote this article 32 years (give or take a few days) after the event took place.

Oh, look! I see that this so-called author... it appears as though he just graduated from the University of Saskatchewan just earlier this year (June 2018). So let's see... he's Canadian. And... figure life at University for him started just after he finished high school, say at 18-years-old. Add 4 years for undergraduate degree & another 2-4 more years for his graduate degree. That would make Kyle Ashdown no more than 26 or 27-years-old.

See Twitter Link

Well gee, Fred. The guy wasn't even born yet when Rajneeshpuram commune was going strong. Yet, he writes an article about what had happened there entitled, "The True Story of the The Rolls-Royce Guru". That's very, very weak, imo.

So, he can be taken out of the first-hand knowledge category, as well as the second-hand knowledge category... So yeah, he's no more than a third-rate.... uh... I mean, 3rd-hand source for this kind of information. But really, that is giving him way better than what he probably really deserves, and that being ==> 4th-rate, 5th-rate or even a 6th-rate source of knowledge.

Yep, just barely above being that of a gossip column journalist, or better to say - Comic Book journalism, I would say. Yep... And, with that, I'm being very, very nice.

Note from the above L.R. Miller article that kicked off the above Post #103:

I wrote this blog article in reaction to hearing Tom Cruise say "There's first-hand data, second-hand data, and third-hand data.... and third-hand data is way out there." Maybe it can , in some small way, help prevent such an unclear statement on the subject from ever being spoken again ;-)
    Last edited by turiya, 24th November 2018 at 19:30.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd November 2018), Aragorn (23rd November 2018), Melidae (22nd November 2018)

Thanks
    Marvin had something to sing about anger.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAgDKco5Ac

Up and down my back, my spine, in my brain
    It injures me, babe....
    Anger, can make you old, yes it can
    I said anger, can make you sick, children... oh Jesus
    Anger destroys your soul
    Rage, there's no room for rage in there
    There's no room for rage in here
    Line up some place to go to be mad
    It's a sin to treat your body bad
    When anger really gets the best of us
    We've really lost our heads
    We often say a lot of things, oh darlin'
    Wish we'd never said
    Oh, reason is beyond control
    And the things we do spite
    Makes me ashamed
    And I mean this, baby, makes me want to the things right
    Someday soon I hope and pray like Jesus
    I'll reach that wiser age
    Hope I will learn I really never never profit
    From things I do in rage
    One more time-anger, oh anger
    When it's flaming hot
    Anger burns to the bitter end
    Know what I'm talkin' 'bout
    When it cools I find out too late
    I have lost at love, love, love, dear friend
    I said, anger will make you sick
    Children, oh Jesus
    Anger destroys your soul
    I ain't gonna let you get the best of me, babe
    I'm gonna go somewhere and cool
    This is not the way my head's supposed to be, babe
    You've got me feelin' like some silly fool
    But I know a real nice place where I can go
    And feel the way I'm supposed to feel
    I don't want to be mad at nobody
    I don't want to be feelin' bad
    Up and down my back, my spine, in my brain
    It injures me, babe
    Anger, can make you old, yes it can
    I said anger will make you sick, children, oh Jesus
    Anger destroys your soul
    Anger
    Anger

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th November 2018), Aragorn (29th November 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Rage vs Anger
    Marvin is confused, as many are, about Anger. About emotional energy, and how to use it creatively.

Expression of emotional energy is healthy.
    Repression of emotional energy is not healthy.

Rage is a symptom of the unhealthy repression of emotional energy.
    Repression of Anger is self-destructive. One can injure oneself.
    Repression is masochistic. Masochism is a symptom that one doesn't love themselves.

Expression of Anger doesn't destroy the soul. Expression of emotional energy is natural.
    Repression of Anger, of emotional energy, is unnatural.
    Repression can destroy one's own body-mind mechanism.
    Repression of Anger can lead to sickness.
    Repression can cause a dis-ease.
    It can cause an early death.

Rage is explosive. Rage is the symptom that one has been repressing one's own emotional Anger energy.

The repression of one's Anger causes the energy to build up within.
    An energetic pressure is created over time.
    If a pressure release is not provided, Anger will eventually be transformed into a fit of Rage.
    Rage is an unconscious release of accumulated emotional energy caused by repression.

When the control mechanism fails under great accumulated pressure, the dam breaks, the volcanic pressure releases, and the molten lava will flow.

The expression of Anger is the outward flow of energy.
    It can be done creatively.

One can go to the gym to exercise & move the energy through the body.
    Sweat can pour from the pores of the skin.
    It can be used in a cleansing process.
    Anger can be used positively in its expression.
    Ride a bike. Pump iron. Burn the energy through the muscles.
    Move the body & the energy dissipates through it.
    The blood will flow. The intake of oxygen will refresh the cells.
    The body will rejoice.

One can be aware of what one can do with the Anger energy, or one can remain unconscious.
    One can remain irresponsible.
    If one chooses 'not' to be responsible, then the body-mind will still find a way to move the energy.
    It will be done unconsciously.
    It will come out in a fit of Rage.
    As energy needs to move.

Rage is a symptom that the body-mind has stagnated energy.

Marvin is mixing up Rage & and the healthy expression of Anger.
    He's a good singer. But he has not self-examined his own Anger enough to really understand it.
    He hasn't understood his own mechanism enough to know what it needs.
    He's been conditioned, brainwashed to believe that the expression of anger is a bad thing.
    That's why he is confused about it.
    That's why he's created this song.
    The lyrics show that he doesn't understand himself.
    He doesn't know himself.

It surprises me that Marvin, being an artist, like a lot of artists, they don't really understand how to creatively use their emotional energy within their chosen medium of expression. In Marvin's case, it is his music.

Perhaps, Marvin should have taken a lesson from John Lennon, who perfectly demonstrates how one can creatively express emotions through music. John Lennon understood it quite well, imo.

Last edited by turiya, 29th November 2018 at 03:16.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th November 2018), Dreamtimer (17th December 2018)

Thanks
    Sylvie of New Earth speaks of anger near the end of her TOT interview, at 45:45. Anger is no small thing to her.

This video is full of interesting footage from google earth.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th December 2018), Kathy (19th December 2018)