Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Anger Is a Small Thing

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Osho was a modern conveyor of ancient teaching, and he definitely cashed in on that. One wonders if without his covert pursuit of material comfort, which flies in the face of much of the teachings he brought into the western consciousness, if he would have reached so far into western culture. I've read The Book of Secrets, and bits and pieces were invaluable in the cultivation of my own consciousness.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th November 2018), Dreamtimer (16th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th November 2018), turiya (16th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Hi PL,

I'm curious what your religious/spiritual/philosophical origin is? The reason I'm curious is because this OSHO dude seems hostile to everything but his own aims. It doesn't seem healthy to buy into his worldview. For me, it is abhorrent...contrary to the goal of the elevation of humanity. That's not a criticism of you at all...just my viewpoint of 'it'.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th November 2018), Dreamtimer (16th November 2018), PurpleLama (16th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Well, the Book of Secrets was a translation with commentary of some old sutra, wherein Shiva was teaching Devi a wide variety of techniques for achieving enlightenment. I actually don't know very much about Osho except for what I stated above. It wasn't meant to be a defense of him or his organization or practices. That one text was very valuable to me, 20 years ago. In some cases it was the translation, in others the commentary.

My own religious/philosophical orientation could best be described as eclectic. To put it into recent terms, I was a chaos magician before the term was coined. I've practiced various forms of magic, and have basically developed my own style, one which does not especially ascribe to any named god or God. That said, my understanding is nonetheless well informed by the best I could glean from every major religion, from Christianity, to Buddhism, to the Vedas, the Qur'an (Sufism and Rumi, especially), the Tao, Shintoism, the list goes on. Take all that, shake it up with some Robert Anton Wilson, and voila!

Add: Aldous Huxley's The Perennial Philosophy was an early influence in my own personal journey of figuring out what the hell is going on with this life. I discovered the book on my own shelf with no idea where it came from when I was 19, and it was that which set me to studying every religious and (ancient) philosophical text for the threads that connect them all.
    Last edited by PurpleLama, 16th November 2018 at 13:22.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th November 2018), Dreamtimer (16th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th November 2018), turiya (16th November 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    METAPHYSICS is nonsense, but even then it must be serving some object, otherwise it would not have existed - so long. Man finds himself helpless - in a strange world, unfamiliar... not only unknown, but unknowable also. This darkness, this cloud of unknowing, disturbs the human mind tremendously. Somehow he has to console himself. Somehow he has to create knowledge.
    I have read Osho. I do think he told funny stories. What a major spiritual materialist of the 20th century!
    He sure did cash in on the disturbance and the cloud of unknowing.

Personally I don't know how I could stand to get up in the morning without a sense of a "divine power" and an elevated perspective being possible to FEEL.
    And as to the "security" blankets.... why NOT? if they symbolize this connection?
    AND when we FEEL secure, that is when we can venture forth from superstition. Then we may uncover ever greater depths of INNER stability and peace of WHO IS THAT?

And as to Osho... did he not have dozens of automobiles? One auto is transportation. Scores of autos suggest they consoled SOMETHING in him?
    Last edited by Maggie, 16th November 2018 at 13:38.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th November 2018), Dreamtimer (16th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th November 2018), PurpleLama (16th November 2018), turiya (16th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Maggie View Post
    And as to Osho... did he not have dozens of automobiles? One auto is transportation. Scores of autos suggest they consoled SOMETHING in him?
    Isn't it interesting how much louder our actions speak than our words?

This is why I have become a big proponent of don't tell me, show me.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th November 2018), Dreamtimer (16th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th November 2018), Maggie (16th November 2018), PurpleLama (16th November 2018), turiya (16th November 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 397 Posts
    "Everything that I have done in my life has a purpose."
    I wonder how OSHO managed to accumulate his 47 Rolls-Royce fleet?
    An interesting question...
    Poking around researching this... and, this is what was found.

Correction: Ninety-Six Rolls Royces
    Osho and his ninety-six Rolls Royces
    by Satya
    November 2, 2008

Osho had always liked to live with gardens and beautiful birds and animals. He wanted a deer park to be created at Rajneeshpuram, and we were to grow “alfa-alfa” for the deer, to attract them away from the hunters. He told a story of a place in India. He used to visit near a waterfall where there were hundreds of deer. At night they would come to the lake to drink, “and their eyes would shine like a thousand flames, dancing in the dark.”

At the bottom of the garden, before Basho Pond, where black swans resided on one side of the bridge, and white on the other, there was the garage in which were the famous ninety-six Rolls Royces. In India Osho’s one Mercedes created an uproar, but in America it took almost a hundred Rolls Royces to achieve the same effect.

For many people these cars were a barrier between them and Osho. They could not see past the cars.

It is said that Sufi masters create disguises so that they may go about their business unrecognized and do not have to waste time with people who are not seekers.

“There was no need for ninety-six Rolls Royces. I could not use ninety-six Rolls Royces simultaneously – the same model, the same car. But I wanted to make it clear to you that you would be ready to drop all your desires for truth, for love, for spiritual growth to have a Rolls Royce. I was knowingly creating a situation in which you would feel jealous.”

“The function of a master is very strange. He has to help you come to an understanding of your inner structure of consciousness: it is full of jealousy.”

“…Those cars fulfilled their purpose. They created jealousy in the whole of America, in all the super-rich people. If they were intelligent enough, then rather than being my enemies they would have come to me to find a way to get rid of their jealousy, because it is their problem. Jealousy is a fire that burns you, and burns you badly.” (Beyond Psychology)

“Everything that I have done in my life has a purpose. It is a device to bring out something in you of which you are not aware.” …Osho

Source:
    My Diamond Days with Osho by ma prem shunyo

Osho: "93 Roll Royces... They were not mine."
    And, the following from another site...

Anand Sharma
    Updated Sep 17, 2018·
    Author has 54 answers
    and 91.1k answer views

Osho clocked up 93 whilst in Rajneeshpuram.
    Partly a crazy joke, a spoof.
    The cars were all exactly the same model.

This mirrored American consumerism, where people tend to buy too much of the same things, more than they actually need.

Lots of people did get the cosmic comedy. The Rolls, however, were not just a joke on the part of Osho, or a raised finger at the traditional spiritual values of aesthetcism and poverty. They were also a device.

Just as he created devices to attract people, so he created them for the occasional dispersing of the many there for the wrong reasons. Back in the sixties Osho had attracted thousands of followers, and many of them were Gandhians. But Osho wanted to find disciples, people he could work with on an energetic level, not just people were interested in him intellectually.

So when he began to talk against Gandhi, many Gandhians left and only the real disciples amongst the Gandhians remained.

During the seventies he had again attracted many thousands of people.

He had said that he had gone into public silence in 1981 partly to put off those who were only intellectually following him:

“I have found my people and I have to arrange a silent communion, which will help in two ways: those who cannot understand silence will drop out. That will be good. That will be a good weeding; otherwise they will go on clinging around me because of the words, because their intellect feels satisfied. And I am not here to satisfy their intellect. My purpose is far, far deeper, of a different dimension.

So these days of silence have helped those who were just intellectually curious, rationally interested in me, to turn their back. And secondly, it has helped me to find my real, authentic people who are not in need of words to be with me. They can be with me without words. That's the difference between communication and communion.”
    (1984)

The classic practitioners of the art of the device have been Zen and Sufi masters, particularly the Naqshbandi school, where George Gurdjieff ., a major influence on Osho, got many of his ideas. Osho's stories about them include Zen Master Nansen pouring overflowing tea for a visiting intellectual whose head was similarly overflowing with ideas about the path; Gurdjieff's filling his devotees up with rich food and alcohol until they lost their cultured ways and inhibitions, or telling them to dig a hole and then fill it back in; the Tibetan Buddhist Milarepa's master Marpa getting him to build and take down one house after another. And so on.

One of Osho’s main teachings was a non-seriousness and playfull approach to life and the Rolls Royces really drove that home. It made sannyasins impossible to take themselves too seriously.

Another of Osho’s main teachings was to love the outer world around us and treat the earth as sacred, as well as the inner world .

This idea wasn’t entirely original. Sri Aurobindo, a well respected Indian philosopher and spiritual master had also a similar philosophy of creating a paradise on earth as well as remaining transcendental, and believed in evolutionary spirituality and integration between the material and spiritual realms.

Osho’s vision was to create ‘Zorba the Buddha’, a spirituality that could celebrate the earth completely, whilst becoming transcendental and rich in the the inner world through meditation.

Osho had later said:

“It is part of my whole device to change the very structure of human consciousness.

The past has revered poverty, asceticism, masochistic attitudes.

A man was respected if he was renouncing all that is pleasant, all that is comfortable.

He was respected for torturing himself; the greater the torture, the greater the respect.

The whole human past is masochistic, and all the religions have contributed to this insanity.

My effort is to change such a vast past and its influence. So it has been only a device. I have not been creating desires for materialistic things in people; they are there without anybody's creating them.

Yes, they have been repressed so deeply that people have even forgotten that they had them. I am not creating them; I simply want to remove the cover-up, the repression, and to make the person realize that he wants a Rolls Royce more than enlightenment.

This realization will be a basic step towards enlightenment, because it will make him aware of his own reality, his greed.

There was no need for ninety-three Rolls Royces. I could not use ninety-three Rolls Royces simultaneously -- the same model, the same car.

But I wanted to make it clear to you that you would be ready to drop all your desires for truth, for love, for spiritual growth to have a Rolls Royce.

I was knowingly creating a situation in which you would feel jealous. The function of a master is very strange. He has to help you come to an understanding of your inner structure of consciousness: it is full of jealousy.”

“A deep unconsciousness, a great blindness exists, and I am fighting against a mountainous unconsciousness, darkness.

Naturally they will be very much annoyed.

They would have loved me, they would have worshipped me.

And it was so easy for me to do what they wanted, but then I would have been continuing the old misery, the old disease, the old stupidity.

I decided to be unrespectable, but not to help any nonsensical value.

It is a very simple thing to see why ascetics -- self-destructive people engaged in a kind of slow suicide -- have been respected; it is because it is unnatural, because you cannot do it.

They are doing something which you cannot do. If somebody is standing on their head on the road, there will be a crowd immediately, but you are walking on your legs -- no crowd will be there!

What is that man doing that attracts the crowd? He is doing something that the crowd cannot do.

He is proving mind over body, he is proving spirit over nature. Torturing his body he is proving that he is not the body, it does not affect him.

By fasting, not sleeping, or standing for days he is proving that what you cannot do he can do; he is superior to you.

You also can do what he is doing, you just have to be a little stupid, you just have to be a little suicidal, destructive.

All that you need is a certain pleasure in pain and you can become a great spiritual saint.

“I will be condemned, I will be criticized. Every religion, every tradition, every morality, every ethical code is going to condemn me. That does not surprise me! I expect it, because what I am saying and doing is changing the very course of human consciousness.

I don't think that by torturing yourself you can meditate more easily; on the contrary, if your body is pleasantly at ease you can meditate more easily.”

“My whole effort is to make a fresh beginning. It is bound to create condemnation of me from all over the world.

But it doesn't matter -- who cares! I care only for those who are ready to change the very course of human consciousness.

I will offend others, I will annoy others, I will irritate others, I will create jealousy in others. These are part of my devices. I am really exposing them.

If they have any intelligence they will understand it.

Ninety-three Rolls Royces... but I have not looked back at them, at what happened.

They were not mine, and I am as happy without them as I was with them. I never went to see those Rolls Royces in the garage. The director of my garage, Avesh, is here. I went on saying to him, "One day I am coming," but that day never came.

I have never seen those cars together. It was he who would bring a car for a one-hour drive, it was his choice. And I have not looked back.”
    (Emphasis mine.)

Beyond psychology (Talks in Uruguay, 1986)

Source
    Last edited by turiya, 16th November 2018 at 16:46.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th November 2018), Dreamtimer (17th November 2018), Elen (17th November 2018)

Thanks
    lol...yes, that's strange alright. Particularly, if anyone 'buys' that explanation. Even his cohort wouldn't speak to that one. Ostensibly, in the effort to reconcile his abusive nature and his 'empty words'.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th November 2018), Dreamtimer (17th November 2018), Elen (17th November 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Future proves past...
    lol...yes, that's strange alright. Particularly, if anyone 'buys' that explanation. Even his cohort wouldn't speak to that one. Ostensibly, in the effort to reconcile his abusive nature and his 'empty words'.
    And so, there ya go...

“I will be condemned, I will be criticized. Every religion, every tradition, every morality, every ethical code is going to condemn me. That does not surprise me! I expect it, because what I am saying and doing is changing the very course of human consciousness.

I don't think that by torturing yourself you can meditate more easily; on the contrary, if your body is pleasantly at ease you can meditate more easily.”

“My whole effort is to make a fresh beginning. It is bound to create condemnation of me from all over the world.

But it doesn't matter -- who cares! I care only for those who are ready to change the very course of human consciousness.

I will offend others, I will annoy others, I will irritate others, I will create jealousy in others. These are part of my devices. I am really exposing them.

If they have any intelligence they will understand it."

Beyond psychology (Talks in Uruguay, 1986)
    Last edited by turiya, 16th November 2018 at 16:53.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th November 2018), Dreamtimer (17th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th November 2018)

Thanks
    Intelligence may understand it, but the spirit will be revolted by it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th November 2018), Dreamtimer (17th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Isn't it interesting how much louder our actions speak than our words?

This is why I have become a big proponent of don't tell me, show me.
    That's what teachers have to learn/do...show rather than tell. A good teacher does that.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th November 2018), Elen (17th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th November 2018)

Thanks
    By fasting, not sleeping, or standing for days he is proving that what you cannot do he can do; he is superior to you.

You also can do what he is doing, you just have to be a little stupid, you just have to be a little suicidal, destructive.

I have not studied or read the guy. I like these lines.

And they go to show how people so often see what they want to see. Something I have a lot of experience with.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th November 2018)

Thanks
    Classic psychopathy, DT...this guy is among the worst of the worst.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th November 2018), Dreamtimer (17th November 2018)

Thanks
    Good thing I never wanted any gurus.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th November 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    "But the resentment, the anger, is blind...."
    Quote Originally posted by PurpleLama View Post
    One wonders if without his covert pursuit of material comfort, which flies in the face of much of the teachings he brought into the western consciousness, if he would have reached so far into western culture. I've read The Book of Secrets, and bits and pieces were invaluable in the cultivation of my own consciousness.
    Not so sure that he was hiding much of anything from anybody... as in being "covert"... as, he was anything but shy, or sly, when it came to displaying gifts that people had given to him. Below are a couple of the diamond studded watches that followers had gifted to him...

There is this following photo of his wrist displaying one of his diamond studded watches. Its on the cover of one of the books he has authored. Certainly, nothing "covert" about this.

From somewhere... I heard that all those Rolls Royces were also gifts to him from the very rich that followed his teachings.

In fact, I have found this particular video interview by a journalist asking him this very question...

One thing, I think, people on the outside remember about you - when they read stories about you & see you on television - is the fact that you own so many, or have so many, Rolls Royces. Why is that?

OSHO: I Am the Rich Man's Guru
    (Dec 1, 2010)
    Other quotes regarding Rolls Royces...

Why do you like your Rolls Royces so much?

"I have tried all kinds of cars; and even Rolls Royce has many types and I have tried them too. Their best is the Corniche, but it doesn't suit me. It is a question of my back. I need a certain kind of chair — I use only this chair. It has been made by my sannyasins exactly to give support to my back, because doctors have said that they cannot do anything more.

Experts from England were called to India. They tried hard, and they said, "It is impossible. You will have to live with it." It was just a coincidence that one of the models of Rolls Royce, Silver Spur, suited me. The driver's seat in that car fits perfectly, gives me no trouble. Naturally, my people love….

They don't belong to me, those cars—nothing belongs to me. I am the poorest man in the whole world, living the richest life possible. My people love me; they want to do something for me.

All those cars belong to the commune. They have made them available to me for one hour each day. I don't know which car they are bringing, but one thing is certain, that I can be comfortable only in a Silver Spur. And they love me so much that they are trying to have three hundred and sixty-five Rolls Royces, one for every day. And I say, "Why not? A great idea!"…

They have arranged ninety Rolls Royces, and I know they will be able to manage three hundred and sixty-five." [last210]

Another questioner asks the following...

People are very much interested in your Rolls Royces. What do You want to prove with this, so many cars and so much luxury around You?

"Why are people concerned? Then certainly they need it; then more Rolls Royces will be here. Until they stop asking me, more and more Rolls Royces are going to be here. Now it has to be seen that it is a challenge: the day nobody asks me about Rolls Royces, they will not be coming.

People's interest in Rolls Royces shows their mind. They are not interested what is happening here. They don't ask about meditation, they don't ask about sannyas, they don't ask about people's life, love, the laughter that happens in this desert. They only ask about Rolls Royces. That means I have touched some painful nerve. And I will go on pressing it till they stop asking.

I am not a worshipper of poverty. That's what those Rolls Royces prove. I respect wealth. Nobody before me had the guts to say it. The pope cannot say that he respects wealth, although he is the wealthiest man on the earth.

I am not a hypocrite. I am the poorest man on the earth. I don't have a single cent with me. But I want to show these people what attracts their mind. If there were no Rolls Royces here, perhaps there would be nothing for the whole world to ask about me, about you, about meditation, about initiation into sannyas, about love, about anything. It is for those idiots that I am keeping all those Rolls Royces, because they cannot move their eyes away from those Rolls Royces. And meanwhile I will go on pouring other things in their minds. Without those Rolls Royces they would not have asked a single question.

Those Rolls Royces are doing their work. Every idiot around the world is interested in them. And I want them to be somehow interested—in anything in Rajneeshpuram. Then we will manage about other things.

So tell those people—when anybody asks, tell them that "These Rolls Royces are for you idiots. Otherwise you are not interested in anything."

Once they stop asking about Rolls Royces, then I will have to think of something else, whether to have rockets which are going to the moon…. I will have to think of something else." [last403]

A statement given about the Rolls Royces & a bishop of a local church...

"I received a letter from a bishop of Wasco County, who had been for almost five years condemning my Rolls Royces. In every Sunday sermon he was not preaching Jesus Christ, he was preaching me and my Rolls Royces. The day I was leaving he wrote a letter to me, "Now you are leaving, it will be great kindness on your part if you can donate one Rolls Royce to this church." Now, this shows the man….

I informed him, "Would you like all ninety-three, or only one?"
    And a letter came, "If you can give all ninety-three, that is just the right thing. You are really great. I'm very sorry that I condemned you for five years. You are a man to be worshiped."

It is a very strange world if you understand people: whatever they are saying shows more about them than it shows about the person they are talking about."[pilgr12]

And another statement regarding some people that were once followers...

"Just the other day Anando was showing me one book published against me in Australia by a couple who have been sannyasins for three years and have been in the commune. But just looking at their ideas, it seems they have never seen me. They are saying that they were working, working hard, and with their work I was purchasing Rolls Royces. You can see the absurdity: their work was not bringing any money. Their work was making their own houses to live in, the roads—which were needing money, not producing money. But in their mind—and for all those three years also—they must have been resentful.

Those Rolls Royces were not produced by the commune. They were presents from outside, from all over the world. And I was not their owner—I had given them to the commune. They were commune property, and I have not brought any of them with me; I have left them with the commune. Everything that I had has been left with the commune. I never owned anything. But there must have been the idea that they are earning money, and I am wasting money. That is their resentment.

What money were you earning? In fact you needed money to make houses, to make roads, to make a dam—a dam needed two and a half million dollars to make. You were contributing your labor, but we were not creating money out of it so that I could purchase Rolls Royces, so that I could purchase anything. I have not purchased anything from the money produced by the commune because the commune never produced any money. The commune was absorbing money.

In fact all my royalties, all my books, all their profits were going to the commune. The situation is just the opposite—that I had given everything to the commune. Now, four hundred books in different languages were bringing millions of dollars in royalties, and those royalties were going to the commune.

If I had wanted to purchase Roll Royces, I could have purchased my own Rolls Royces, as many as I wanted, just out of my royalties.

But the resentment, the anger, is blind. In the commune we invested two hundred million dollars. Those sannyasins perhaps think they had brought two hundred million dollars there! Without me and the people who love me around the world, those two hundred million dollars would not have been possible." [psychology24]
    Last edited by turiya, 18th November 2018 at 13:50.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th November 2018), Dreamtimer (18th November 2018)

Thanks
    From somewhere... I heard that all those Rolls Royces were also gifts to him from the very rich that followed his teachings.

Not an approach I would employ on the road to enchantment with the words of a would be 'I am great and powerful' philosopher.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th November 2018), Dreamtimer (18th November 2018)