Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trump vs The Deep State

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Are you saying that Chris and I cannot think outside of the box? Well, I cannot speak for Chris — and I'm going to let him address that himself, if he so chooses — but when it comes to myself, then I'm afraid you know me only just as badly as I know you — which I admit that I do.

If you look at my posting history, or if you think back to what The One Truth used to look like and what a mess it was in when I came on board, versus what it looks like now and the atmosphere of trust we have now, then I think you will find that I'm quite capable of thinking out of the box and of thinking for myself.

We don't have an emoticon for a single-eyebrow frown in the style of Mr. Spock, or else I would be using it right now. I guess I'm just going to have to settle for a wry face then.

Apologies, Aragorn. I intended no insult. I did not say that you cannot think outside of the box...it is more that it is well cloaked in a mixture of history and assumptions that others agree with that version of history and that particular meaning of certain words. Perhaps my question was poorly phrased. I'll try to do better.

I do remember TOT before you came. There was a camaraderie and a lightness and fun...as well as trust. There was a gentleness of response to people who thought differently than the prevailing view...a seeking to understand and really listen to each other without malice or insult...a sharing of opinions without judgment. At least until the the influx of refuges from PA appeared, followed by the blue chicken cult...which was sorely mishandled, imo. But trust now? No. Not for me.
    ...to the topTop

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (21st October 2018), Aragorn (21st October 2018), Chris (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), modwiz (21st October 2018), PurpleLama (23rd October 2018), turiya (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by turiya View Post

In other words, Fred, if one is not 100% aware of what is taking place, undoubtedly, that individual will unwittingly be working as an agent for this corrupted system. Working to keep us - 'We the People' - divided & fighting with each other.

So, do yourself a favor Fred Steeves, it takes real guts to self-examine oneself. You, yourself, have quoted Socrates with every post that you have written on this forum.

"An unexamined life is a life that is not worth living"

Or, are they words that just sound good? Or maybe, they just look good... Come on, Fred, take a real good look & then pull yourself out of your grave, man!
    I'll just let the enlightened ones have the stage on this game changing thread, pending of course. Trump, Q, turiya, etc., show us poor hapless Agent Smiths the way out of this dark forest through the political escape hatch, and spiritual or philosophical pursuits be damned.

Who knows, jam enough more splashy headlines in my face and you may yet convince me to join the RED WAVE, as Q urges, and vote Republican before the clock runs out next month. I mean hell, maybe it's really true that if we can just get the Left on the run once and for all, with the Right in full control for good this time, the sky's the limit to what this nation can accomplish under a President Trump with unfettered power.

I mean, now that you've got me seriously considering the implications of such a scenario, what could possibly go wrong?

Cheers
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates
    ...to the topTop

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (21st October 2018), Aragorn (21st October 2018), Chris (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), modwiz (21st October 2018), PurpleLama (23rd October 2018), turiya (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts

I must be really thick, because I have no idea what's going on in this thread any more...

Aragorn has mentioned this many times, but I think we are getting to a level of detail in this thread which pretty much requires you to be a pure-bred American to understand what's going on.

I would like to remark here that there seems to be a paranoid streak in American politics and public discourse that isn't healthy and goes back all the way to the Anti-Catholic League, John Birchers and such like.

I will leave you guys to it, but as Aragorn mentioned before there is life outside the United States and you could learn an awful lot by looking outside your borders once in a while and checking out what the view is like from over there. This doesn't apply to everyone of course, plenty of you here are open-minded enough to acknowledge the rest of the world and try to learn about it and from it, but the general trend of American insularism and isolationism is pretty unmistakable. I do not wish to be unkind, but you will probably find that in the foreseeable future, the rest of the world will care about as much about internal political disputes in the US as they do about those in Brazil or Indonesia.

I am sorry to have to break this to you, but the USA isn't nearly as important in world affairs these days as its inhabitants like to think. Frankly, both the UK and the US have become a laughing stock, with Brexit and Trump.

To me the whole Q/Trump phenomenon is a clear sign that a fairly large portion of the US public has gone off the reservation and it is just a sad thing to see. A similar thing has happened in Hungary over the last decade or so, but I still don't think that Orbán is comparable to Trump in that respect and the sort of craziness that happens on the far-right in the US does not seem to happen here in Europe at all and this becomes especially apparent when you look at actual facts and figures rather than just ideology and rhetoric.

The sort of inequality, racial prejudice, incarceration rate, miscarriage of justice, murder rate, etc... that is commonplace in the US, simply doesn't happen in Europe, even in the poorer parts. To take just one example, almost all of the most dangerous cities, with the highest murder rates are in Latin America and the US. None of them are in Europe. Some US cities have higher murder rates than war zones in the Middle East.

To me, it is a clear sign that the USA is slipping down from the developed world and becoming ever more like your typical Latin-American banana republic. It is not something I enjoy saying, but I have to look at the facts as they are and not how I'd like them to be. I'm sorry if this was too harsh, but I don't believe that anyone will benefit from wishful thinking and looking the other way.
    ...to the topTop

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (21st October 2018), Aragorn (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), Fred Steeves (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 397 Posts
    Fake News, U.N., Open Borders & a Blue Wave?
    From Praying Medic...

Trump wasn't the one handing out money and signs to people heading toward the US border.

These people are stupid.

9:51 PM - 20 Oct 2018

Paid in full.

8:28 PM - 19 Oct 2018

Oh, come on now... did you forget about your blue wave?

Opinion | What if the Republicans Win Everything Again?
    Total victory for the G.O.P. would mean Trump unleashed.
    nytimes

5:37 PM - 19 Oct 2018
    Last edited by turiya, 21st October 2018 at 15:11.
    ...to the topTop

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (21st October 2018), modwiz (21st October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post

I must be really thick, because I have no idea what's going on in this thread any more...

Aragorn has mentioned this many times, but I think we are getting to a level of detail in this thread which pretty much requires you to be a pure-bred American to understand what's going on.

I would like to remark here that there seems to be a paranoid streak in American politics and public discourse that isn't healthy and goes back all the way to the Anti-Catholic League, John Birchers and such like.

I will leave you guys to it, but as Aragorn mentioned before there is life outside the United States and you could learn an awful lot by looking outside your borders once in a while and checking out what the view is like from over there. This doesn't apply to everyone of course, plenty of you here are open-minded enough to acknowledge the rest of the world and try to learn about it and from it, but the general trend of American insularism and isolationism is pretty unmistakable. I do not wish to be unkind, but you will probably find that in the foreseeable future, the rest of the world will care about as much about internal political disputes in the US as they do about those in Brazil or Indonesia.

I am sorry to have to break this to you, but the USA isn't nearly as important in world affairs these days as its inhabitants like to think. Frankly, both the UK and the US have become a laughing stock, with Brexit and Trump.

To me the whole Q/Trump phenomenon is a clear sign that a fairly large portion of the US public has gone off the reservation and it is just a sad thing to see. A similar thing has happened in Hungary over the last decade or so, but I still don't think that Orbán is comparable to Trump in that respect and the sort of craziness that happens on the far-right in the US does not seem to happen here in Europe at all and this becomes especially apparent when you look at actual facts and figures rather than just ideology and rhetoric.

The sort of inequality, racial prejudice, incarceration rate, miscarriage of justice, murder rate, etc... that is commonplace in the US, simply doesn't happen in Europe, even in the poorer parts. To take just one example, almost all of the most dangerous cities, with the highest murder rates are in Latin America and the US. None of them are in Europe. Some US cities have higher murder rates than war zones in the Middle East.

To me, it is a clear sign that the USA is slipping down from the developed world and becoming ever more like your typical Latin-American banana republic. It is not something I enjoy saying, but I have to look at the facts as they are and not how I'd like them to be. I'm sorry if this was too harsh, but I don't believe that anyone will benefit from wishful thinking and looking the other way.
    Historically, that violence came from Europe...I just wanted to cover that part.

It cracks me up when I hear U.S. politicians talk about how we're going to punish 'them'. I might add that most talking in those terms are inevitably Southern Republicans who have found their savior ironically enough in a Yankee carpetbagger. Under this influence we are not progressing, we are regressing back to the 18th century.

I've said it before and it seems appropriate to say it again. This is a last gasp for the culture that simply cannot adapt to changing times, they are relegating themselves to the ash heap of history. But, in truth, it is not their fault in the sense that they are driven by a different human racial type. Some genetic strains survive indefinitely and others do not. It is cruel, unfortunate, and as inevitable as the sun rising in the morning. History will forgive them that, their inability to rise above base instinctual behaviors.

From Praying Medic...
    Interesting propaganda that is...what is obvious is that a computer scientist created it...If you can figure out how I deduced that, you win today's prize for awareness.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"
    ...to the topTop

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Chris (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Sometimes I wonder if life is really worth it...as the saying goes, "Life's a bitch, then you die!" Weirdly enough, it's times like this that make my life worth living...living on to continue the battle!
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"
    ...to the topTop

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    SGTReport: George Soros

THE ENEMY ARMY MARCHES
    (Oct 20, 2018)

Description:

This is a wide ranging critical news update from SGT Report. The enemy's army is on the march, and the desperation of this overtly criminal, seditious attack on the sovereignty of the United States has the fingerprints of George Soros all over it. And if Soros' puppet Hillary Clinton was in the White House, this "caravan" would be propagandized and welcomed as a "humanitarian crisis" and you would be called a bigot and a xenophobe if you dared not to embrace it. This is the morally and fundamentally bankrupt hardcore Left at its very best. Their hatred for our nation and the rule of law becomes clearer with each passing day.
    Last edited by turiya, 21st October 2018 at 16:22.
    ...to the topTop

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

JRS (22nd October 2018), modwiz (21st October 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    THE ENEMY ARMY MARCHES
    (Oct 20, 2018)

Description:

This is a wide ranging critical news update from SGT Report. The enemy's army is on the march, and the desperation of this overtly criminal, seditious attack on the sovereignty of the United States has the fingerprints of George Soros all over it. And if Soros' puppet Hillary Clinton was in the White House, this "caravan" would be propagandized and welcomed as a "humanitarian crisis" and you would be called a bigot and a xenophobe if you dared not to embrace it. This is the morally and fundamentally bankrupt hardcore Left at its very best. Their hatred for our nation and the rule of law becomes clearer with each passing day.
    Jesus Christ, I wish you would stop with the Sorosing already... He's not to blame for every bad thing that happens in the world, though perhaps he did play a small role in it. Soros is a bit player, if he was removed from the picture (and he's not that young any more), nothing would change. I am more disturbed by the fact that blaming Soros for all the ills of the world has become a proxy for blaming the Jews. Most people probably aren't aware of it, but I doubt that Jews find the anti-Soros propaganda particularly comforting.

They really felt it was directed at them when the Orbán government here in Hungary plastered the whole country with his image blaming him for the migrant crisis and pretty much everything else they could think of. This kind of simplistic thinking is dangerous and could lead to very ugly things in the future, however unintentionally.
    ...to the topTop

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Melidae View Post
    If you look at my posting history, or if you think back to what The One Truth used to look like and what a mess it was in when I came on board, versus what it looks like now and the atmosphere of trust we have now, then I think you will find that I'm quite capable of thinking out of the box and of thinking for myself.
    I do remember TOT before you came. There was a camaraderie and a lightness and fun...as well as trust. There was a gentleness of response to people who thought differently than the prevailing view...a seeking to understand and really listen to each other without malice or insult...a sharing of opinions without judgment.
    I remember tasting that atmosphere when I first joined up here in March 2015, and as I have only recently expounded in the mod room, I personally miss that camaraderie. There was a certain magic to it that I never saw over at Project Avalon.

But on the other hand, was it really camaraderie, when these seemingly friendly and allegedly open-minded people could not bring themselves to welcome the new members in their midst? Or was it instead merely just another inside club, the likes of which there were several over at Project Avalon as well at the time?

At least until the the influx of refuges from PA appeared, [...
    I myself was one of those refugees. I knew I was about to get banned from Project Avalon, and in an email exchange with Marcus (DNA), I had informed him about that.

I told Marcus that my biggest regret was that I was going to be cut off from several people with whom I had built up a good rapport during my tenure at Project Avalon. Marcus then advised me to join up here at The One Truth, given that many former and (at least at the time still) current members of Project Avalon were also registered here. And so I took Marcus' advice and I signed up for an account here on the 17th of March 2015, one day before I was banned from Project Avalon by Bill Ryan himself.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the difference in atmosphere here, compared to Project Avalon — not so as to speak ill of Project Avalon, but I have always felt much more at home here at The One Truth than I had ever felt over there.

But when I was then recruited as a moderator on the 18th of April 2015 — by explicit invitation, as I had not offered myself up for the job like all the other staff members at the time — I soon found out that these seemingly friendly and open-minded members quickly began turning their backs on me and started treating me like an enemy. It was an "us versus them" situation, and I was now one of "them".

...] followed by the blue chicken cult...which was sorely mishandled, imo.
    The Blue Chicken cult wasn't the worst of our problems, because those people were generally very well-behaved. Corey Goode himself was a bit of a handful, even though it must be said that he at least made an effort to play by the rules of the house. Or that is to say, up until his deal with Wilcock and Gaia TV was sealed, because then he asked for his Q&A thread to be closed, and from then on he began exclusively using the forum for self-promotion. We were facepalming all over the mod room but we let it stand because we knew he was on his way out the door anyway. And then he left, and all of his groupies with him — most of them without ever requesting the retirement of their account.

The Ruiner cult on the other hand was much, much worse. They were stepping all over the Forum Rules, they were constantly seeking out Corey in order to confront him — given that their god The Ruiner had declared Corey a liar — and they were deliberately taunting and challenging the staff at almost every opportunity.

Then the Ruiner cult left The One Truth and settled down at Eye-Rise for a while, and then they completely destroyed that forum and left Kathy to rebuild it from the ground up all on her own, because Ria was an administrator there, and when she was on her way out, she abused her admin privileges and deleted half of all the threads out of sheer spite before Kathy could intervene and ban her.

But trust now? No. Not for me.
    I can only speak for myself — I will leave it to the other staff members to respond to this if they're so inclined — but it saddens and hurts me to read that you cannot bring yourself to trust us. All members of the current staff here at The One Truth have already long proven themselves trustworthy and transparent, and I've spent the better part of the last three years trying to win back the trust of our members after all the drama we had happening here in 2015.

Perhaps you haven't been back long enough yet since your long absence to notice this, or perhaps you have deliberately chosen not to trust the staff of any forum ever again as a rule. It is either way still painful to read, not to mention that it's not exactly confidence-inspiring toward any candidate-members who would be stumbling upon this thread.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =
    ...to the topTop

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), Melidae (21st October 2018), modwiz (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts

Yes, Yes, Yes!

The plan was to turn the US into a third world country in order to accomplish the NWO version of globalism. It has been in place for the last ~65-70 years...the gradual dumbing down of the population, the corporations moving their operations to 'greener' pastures, the demolishing of the middle class, the militarization of police in pursuit of the creation of a police state, increasing poverty and destruction of infrastructure, the attempt to instill fear/anger/hopelessness/chaos...All part of the plan which includes turning the US into the military arm of the globalists. It is our young men and women being maimed and killed in unpopular wars we have no business being involved in.

Why is Trump so hated? Because he has spent the last two years trying to turn things around...making peace instead of war, bring corporations and jobs back, rebuilding what they have torn down. Of course he is hated...he is not under their control...a wild card. And their playbook does not include a method of stopping him except by ridicule, threats of impeachment, use of the media, baseless 'leaks' from anonymous persons, and more...none of which is working. He puts their plan at risk and they are fighting back.

There does exist the minority who 'rah, rah, America!'...the obnoxious leftovers from a programmed propaganda that is no longer needed. It is a shame they are the ones that get the most attention around the world. And there are those that believe the current propaganda. Then you have We the People who are trying to take control of our country back. We the People just want to take our place as equals to other countries and not as the world's "bully". Live and let live.

irl, I am fortunate enough to have people from around the world in my life...Germany, England, Finland, Poland, Russia, Brazil, China, etc....working here for a time until they return to their own country. They have graciously shared their cultures with me, and I have been enriched by their openness and friendship.

I do expect backlash from those who do not agree with this post. That's okay. Have at it.
    ...to the topTop

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Chris (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), JRS (22nd October 2018), modwiz (21st October 2018), turiya (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    irl, I am fortunate enough to have people from around the world in my life...Germany, England, Finland, Poland, Russia, Brazil, China, etc....working here for a time until they return to their own country. They have graciously shared their cultures with me, and I have been enriched by their openness and friendship.

I do expect backlash from those who do not agree with this post. That's okay. Have at it.
    Agree with you Melidae. Variety is the spice of life. Having a variety of different & distinctly separate cultures makes this world an ever more enchanting place to experience. It makes traveling to other countries a truly mind opening phenomenon. At least, it has to potential to be.

And that is just one of the problems with globalism, the attempts that are being made to melt everyone into a mixed bland of sameness. Its what is going on in the Europe at the moment, and with what is being tried in the U.S., being promoted by the likes of George Soros & his slew of NGOs.
    Last edited by turiya, 21st October 2018 at 19:11.
    ...to the topTop

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Chris (21st October 2018), JRS (22nd October 2018), modwiz (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Yes, Yes, Yes!

The plan was to turn the US into a third world country in order to accomplish the NWO version of globalism. It has been in place for the last ~65-70 years...the gradual dumbing down of the population, the corporations moving their operations to 'greener' pastures, the demolishing of the middle class, the militarization of police in pursuit of the creation of a police state, increasing poverty and destruction of infrastructure, the attempt to instill fear/anger/hopelessness/chaos...All part of the plan which includes turning the US into the military arm of the globalists. It is our young men and women being maimed and killed in unpopular wars we have no business being involved in.

Why is Trump so hated? Because he has spent the last two years trying to turn things around...making peace instead of war, bring corporations and jobs back, rebuilding what they have torn down. Of course he is hated...he is not under their control...a wild card. And their playbook does not include a method of stopping him except by ridicule, threats of impeachment, use of the media, baseless 'leaks' from anonymous persons, and more...none of which is working. He puts their plan at risk and they are fighting back.

There does exist the minority who 'rah, rah, America!'...the obnoxious leftovers from a programmed propaganda that is no longer needed. It is a shame they are the ones that get the most attention around the world. And there are those that believe the current propaganda. Then you have We the People who are trying to take control of our country back. We the People just want to take our place as equals to other countries and not as the world's "bully". Live and let live.

I think the part where you and a lot of Trump supporters are mistaken (and I say this with the utmost respect, It is human to err, after all), is that you see Trump as a saviour and a remedy to what ails the country, when in actual fact he is a symptom, not the cure.

I doubt that anything I say here is going to change any Trump supporters' mind, I face a similar problem here in my own country, where the vast majority of the population supports a deeply corrupt Prime Minister with proto-fascist and authoritarian tendencies. At least he is not an idiot though and has outsmarted pretty much everyone in the European political arena, which I have to give him credit for.

Orbán is a brave and clever man and was a hero of the anti-Soviet resistance until he turned to the dark side. Trump however is and always was a buffoon and a clown. Nobody on the international political scene takes him seriously, he should be an embarrassment to all Americans, if they only knew how the rest of the world sees him. Unfortunately that country is far too insular to notice and that is a damned shame.

And again, I realise that this might not be deliberately malicious on the part of most people, but you should realise that "take our country back" is really just barely disguised racism and/or xenophobia. As with similar slogans amongst Brexiteers in the UK, deep down it is about the wish to kick foreigners out of the country. What it really means is to take the country back for the white native-born population as they feel the country is slipping away from them. Which it is, no doubt about it. When you used to have total control, sharing this control with others feels like you're losing your grip on power.
    ...to the topTop

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Agree with you Melidae. Variety is the spice of life. Having a variety of different & distinctly separate cultures makes this world an ever more enchanting place to experience. It makes traveling to other countries a truly mind opening phenomenon. At least, it has to potential to be.

And that is just one of the problems with globalism, the attempts that are being made to melt everyone into a mixed bland of sameness. Its what is going on in the Europe at the moment, and with what is being tried in the U.S., being promoted by the likes of George Soros & his slew of NGOs.
    You sound just like my Prime Minister, Viktor Orbán. In fact it sounds that you're quoting him verbatim. You two should get married...

...to the topTop

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    I think the part where you and a lot of Trump supporters are mistaken (and I say this with the utmost respect, It is human to err, after all), is that you see Trump as a saviour and a remedy to what ails the country, when in actual fact he is a symptom, not the cure.

I doubt that anything I say here is going to change any Trump supporters' mind, I face a similar problem here in my own country, where the vast majority of the population supports a deeply corrupt Prime Minister with proto-fascist and authoritarian tendencies. At least he is not an idiot though and has outsmarted pretty much everyone in the European political arena, which I have to give him credit for.

Orbán is a brave and clever man and was a hero of the anti-Soviet resistance until he turned to the dark side. Trump however is and always was a buffoon and a clown. Nobody on the international political scene takes him seriously, he should be an embarrassment to all Americans, if they only knew how the rest of the world sees him. Unfortunately that country is far too insular to notice and that is a damned shame.

And again, I realise that this might not be deliberately malicious on the part of most people, but you should realise that "take our country back" is really just barely disguised racism and/or xenophobia. As with similar slogans amongst Brexiteers in the UK, deep down it is about the wish to kick foreigners out of the country. What it really means is to take the country back for the white native-born population as they feel the country is slipping away from them. Which it is, no doubt about it. When you used to have total control, sharing this control with others feels like you're losing your grip on power.
    An excellent post, Chris. Indeed, nobody in the rest of the world takes Donald Trump seriously as a person, let alone as the leader of a nation. Even George W. Bush — quite a buffoon in his own right — was taken more seriously.

For that matter, I would also like to add that the situation in Turkey is very similar to the situation in Hungary. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is also an authoritarian leader, and he has also turned Turkey into a heavily censored police state. It is also well known that Turkey does not respect human rights. Police suspects and political dissidents are still being tortured. Among other things, that's why Turkey is still not allowed into the European Union.

The CIA knows this very well, because Turkey was one of the countries the CIA flew terrorism suspects over to for "enhanced interrogation" under the Bush Jr. administration, given that it would have been illegal to torture people on American soil — and I'm not just talking of waterboarding here.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =
    ...to the topTop

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    An excellent post, Chris. Indeed, nobody in the rest of the world takes Donald Trump seriously as a person, let alone as the leader of a nation. Even George W. Bush — quite a buffoon in his own right — was taken more seriously.

For that matter, I would also like to add that the situation in Turkey is very similar to the situation in Hungary. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is also an authoritarian leader, and he has also turned Turkey into a heavily censored police state. It is also well known that Turkey does not respect human rights. Police suspects and political dissidents are still being tortured. Among other things, that's why Turkey is still not allowed into the European Union.

The CIA knows this very well, because Turkey was one of the countries the CIA flew terrorism suspects over to for "enhanced interrogation" under the Bush Jr. administration, given that it would have been illegal to torture people on American soil — and I'm not just talking of waterboarding here.
    Well, the situation in Hungary is rather more complex than that and it is a very similar case in Poland. In fact Poland tends to follow Hungary's lead in political matters, usually with a few years' delay, so whatever happens in Hungary is usually a good litmus test of what will happen in Poland down the line. I can say this with confidence as someone who is half-Polish, half-Hungarian (and probably at least a quarter Saxon, but let's leave that for now).

Hungary is what is referred to as a flawed democracy. That is, it is democratic, but with Authoritarian tendencies and with serious efforts made by those in power to rig the system. That is in fact no different than what happens in the USA, with gerrymandering, the electoral college, voter suppression and the consolidation of the media in ever fewer hands. However, neither the USA, nor Hungary is a police state. Russia, Turkey and China are, the former two aren't, at least not yet.

In the case of Hungary, no journalists disappear or are even fired because they criticise the ruling party. In Turkey and Russia, journalists and critics of the system are routinely jailed or murdered. However, as in Trump's USA, Orbán does restrict press room access to newspapers and news websites that are critical of him and promotes those that praise him. Really, the parallels between the two countries are actually quite remarkable right now.

Orbán has already built his southern wall and it's working like a charm. I must admit, that I'm not entirely against it as the migrant situation, with millions marching through the country unchecked and unvetted was clearly untenable and couldn't go on. The subsequent attacks in Paris and Brussels, where the Jihadists that carried them out were picked up in Budapest during the height of the migrant crisis, would certainly seem to vindicate the decision to build the wall. Ok, so it's just a fence, but it is heavily patrolled and works as intended, protecting the outer Schengen borders.
    ...to the topTop

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st October 2018), modwiz (21st October 2018), Wind (21st October 2018)