Thread: What is the moon doing???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 251 Posts

What is the moon doing???

I was wondering if anyone has noticed anything strange about the moon? Im currently sitting in my living room and noticed this bright orange light shining through my curtains, got up to look out and to my complete shock it was the moon. It is far too low in the sky, i have never been able to see it from my window like that unless i was standing up looking out, also its a blood red/orange tonight too. This is the first time i have actually acknowledged that there is definitely something strange here, without a doubt from where i am sitting it isnt in the correct position in the sky.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahdita85 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th October 2018), Dreamtimer (17th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 50,488 Times in 12,303 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by sarahdita85 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has noticed anything strange about the moon? Im currently sitting in my living room and noticed this bright orange light shining through my curtains, got up to look out and to my complete shock it was the moon. It is far too low in the sky, i have never been able to see it from my window like that unless i was standing up looking out, also its a blood red/orange tonight too. This is the first time i have actually acknowledged that there is definitely something strange here, without a doubt from where i am sitting it isnt in the correct position in the sky.
    Well, I'm pretty sure the moon's still as it used to be, and although I could be wrong, I don't think there are any blood moon predictions for October. So that then begs the question, "Are you sure that it is actually the moon you're seeing, and not something else? As in 'a UFO'?"

As an aside, Mars was also supposed to be clearly visible around this time of the year, and Mars is of course a reddish orange. So that could also be it.

I'll tell you what... I have to go out the door in about 15 minutes because I'm all out of fresh drinks and my sugar addiction is kicking in — if I have to drink water, then I start feeling physically very weak. So I'm quickly going to pop into my car and head over to a 24/7 shop at the gas station on the highway. Most of the road lights will be out at this time of the night, so I'll try paying attention as to whether I see anything abnormal. And if I do, I'll report on it here.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (17th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018), modwiz (17th October 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    [...]

I'll tell you what... I have to go out the door in about 15 minutes because I'm all out of fresh drinks and my sugar addiction is kicking in — if I have to drink water, then I start feeling physically very weak. So I'm quickly going to pop into my car and head over to a 24/7 shop at the gas station on the highway. Most of the road lights will be out at this time of the night, so I'll try paying attention as to whether I see anything abnormal. And if I do, I'll report on it here.
    Well, here's the follow-up, but it's quite a boring one, I'm afraid. It would appear that the sky is too clouded for me to see the moon, even without any interference from light pollution. On the highway, only the entry and exit lanes are illuminated at this time of the night, and the rest of the road lights is switched off until about 06:00 or so.

There are of course the lights from the occasional industrial buildings you pass, and there is a mild bit of traffic — mostly international transport — albeit not all that much. The road was pretty open. But still, there was no visible moon anywhere I looked, and I did really pay special attention. Not even a faint glow through the clouds. Not a thing, just as if it was a new moon — which it isn't.

In a way it's strange that there would be this many clouds, because the rest of the day had been pretty sunny and bright. But I guess the clouds have to move in at some point, and maybe the weather here is a little different from that in Northern Ireland. After all, we've got the whole breadth of the North Sea and the bottom half of England between us. And then there is the difference in timezone, exactly because of the distance between where you live and where I live. That too defines what we get to see of the night sky.

P.S.: If it was some sort of ship you were seeing, then they won't show themselves to me. I've seen and experienced lots of paranormal stuff in my life, and I've even seen a satellite burn up in the atmosphere once — which was quite spectacular in its own right, as the flames were green — but I've never actually seen a real UFO with my own eyes. Doesn't mean that I don't believe in their existence, but I have this theory that they're picky on account of whom they show themselves to.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (17th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018), modwiz (17th October 2018), Wind (17th October 2018)

Thanks
    It was definitely the moon, and it was far more orange than a blood moon. Im in a top floor apartment and got a good look at it for about 15 mins before cloud cover. I seen Mars and betelguese too as its quite orange aswell. Clear skies today so hopefully i will see it tonight again.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahdita85 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th October 2018), Dreamtimer (17th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018)

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,372 Times in 7,745 Posts
    Well I'm on a different schedule with the moon as I'm on a different continent. I also haven't seen it in a couple days due to clouds.

It does rise and set in different places in the sky as the seasons move. So perhaps before you couldn't see it out the window but now you can. I don't know about the color, orange sounds like it would be nearer to the horizon.

It also sets and rises at different times while it waxes and wanes.

The atmosphere affects its color, that could have something to do with it.

Here the moon will be rising in the afternoon and setting just after midnight. I will have a look at it.

On Friday last week I saw a grazer, a shooting star that moves slowly across the sky because it's grazing the atmosphere. It was bluish and looked like a comet. It lasted for about two seconds. It was beautiful.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018), Wind (17th October 2018)

Senior Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 519 Posts
    I saw something very similar just before the Fukushima disaster happened. I lived in London at the time. Apparently it was a Supermoon, when the moon was unusually close to the earth, hence the tidal pull exerted was also significantly greater. According to Piers Corbyn (who is Jeremy Corbyn's brother and a self-styled astroclimatologist) this extra strong gravitational pull is what caused the major earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions around that time. If you're right, we can expect increased seismic and volcanic activity in the coming days.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th October 2018), Dreamtimer (17th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018), Wind (17th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thats really interesting, i will keep an eye and ear out.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sarahdita85 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th October 2018), Chris (17th October 2018), Dreamtimer (18th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,584 Times in 774 Posts
    The other night when I went out and saw the crescent Moon, it was orange and it sure seemed to be really low on the horizon, I thought it looked interesting.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th October 2018), Chris (17th October 2018), Dreamtimer (18th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018), sarahdita85 (17th October 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    The other night when I went out and saw the crescent Moon, it was orange and it sure seemed to be really low on the horizon, I thought it looked interesting.
    Well, Dreamtimer summed it up pretty well. There are several things that determine how the moon is perceived.

• The time of day.
    • The precession of the equinoxes — i.e. the wobble of the Earth — and thus, the time of the year.
    • The phase of the moon.
    • The distance from Earth to the moon — it varies by quite a bit.
    • Light pollution — i.e. the illumination of the clouds and of dust in the atmosphere by artificial light.
    • Atmospheric conditions — i.e. the weather.

All of these things work together to create a whole variety of appearances. In the end, one must also always keep in mind that the moon itself is not luminescent. You can only see the moon when it is being lit by the sun.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Barbarella (18th October 2018), Chris (17th October 2018), Dreamtimer (18th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018), Wind (17th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,584 Times in 774 Posts
    This seems to be good website when it comes to observing the phases of the Moon:
    https://www.moongiant.com/phase/today/

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th October 2018), Chris (17th October 2018), Dreamtimer (18th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (17th October 2018)

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,372 Times in 7,745 Posts
    Thanks, Wind.

The moon will be full when the current meteor shower peaks. Too bad.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2018), Chris (18th October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Wind (18th October 2018)

Thanks
    For anyone not too familiar with what can be seen in the heavens, one thing is sure; any unexpected appearances, disappearances or movements will be noticed by the hundreds of thousands of serious amateur astronomers across the world.

I say amateur astronomers because we've all heard the stuff about how NASA wouldn't say anything that might alarm the public (as if NASA were the only space agency in the world!), suppressing data about the earth's pole shift (I think anyone who knows how to read a sun dial would notice that), keeping quiet about Nibiru, etc.

So I'm certain we can all rest assured that everything in the heavens is behaving itself - for the moment...

Babs

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Barbarella For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2018), Chris (18th October 2018), Dreamtimer (22nd October 2018), Elen (18th October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), modwiz (18th October 2018), Wind (18th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,220 Times in 3,943 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Barbarella View Post
    For anyone not too familiar with what can be seen in the heavens, one thing is sure; any unexpected appearances, disappearances or movements will be noticed by the hundreds of thousands of serious amateur astronomers across the world.

I say amateur astronomers because we've all heard the stuff about how NASA wouldn't say anything that might alarm the public (as if NASA were the only space agency in the world!), suppressing data about the earth's pole shift (I think anyone who knows how to read a sun dial would notice that), keeping quiet about Nibiru, etc.

So I'm certain we can all rest assured that everything in the heavens is behaving itself - for the moment...

Babs
    Very good Babs...I like this, i.e. what you had to say...
    Whatever is true. Whatever is noble. Whatever is right. Whatever is lovely. Whatever is admirable. Anything of excellence and worthy of praise. Dwell on these things. Jesus Christ (I agree)

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2018), Dreamtimer (22nd October 2018), Juniper (22nd October 2018), Kathy (19th November 2018), modwiz (18th October 2018)