Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast

Thread: Collapse

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    All the Christian high jacking of antiquity aside, the one move that pisses me off more than anything was the move to throw sex outside of love from the get go. merry christmas everyone...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th December 2018), Cearna (26th December 2018), Chris (25th December 2018), Dreamtimer (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), modwiz (28th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by palooka's revenge View Post
    All the Christian high jacking of antiquity aside, the one move that pisses me off more than anything was the move to throw sex outside of love from the get go. merry christmas everyone...
    It's all about the sanctity of life and love...One as a founder of moral principle wouldn't want to throw this out...Celebrate it within love. If there is no love, then there is no sex. or vice versa for that matter. (where the two intersect that is)

Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Well, yes, that is the point, those supposed candidates for Jesus lived well before the time he was supposed to live and none match the description provided by the Bible to any significant degree. Joseph Atwill wrote a book about it, called Caesar's Messiah. I attended one of his talks in London years ago and there was a fascinating discussion afterwards about the topic. I think he's definitely on to something. Here's a recent TV programme exploring the topic:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmEScIUcvz0

There was a WSJ article about it years ago, but now it's behind a paywall. It is a contentious issues, and I'm not sure who is right either. You can read all about it here (with the pros and cons for each theory):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Muhammad

What better time to discuss this, honestly?

But seriously, we just went through a Christmas celebration with my family and Christianity or Jesus did not come up once.

It is not a Christian holiday, but a much older pagan one, that was incorporated into Roman Liturgy because of its popularity in pre-Christian Europe. Same thing with Easter.
    That video starts out demonstrating much ignorance...should I go on with it? Don't blame the messenger or the message of Christianity...at the bottom are those that have no spiritual being and vie for only power, and "To control and manipulate the populace". Very much like the sources behind this video. There were no political motivations for Christianity. The purpose of Christianity was brought by Christ. It ain't that complicated.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th December 2018), Cearna (26th December 2018), Dreamtimer (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by palooka's revenge View Post
    Merry Christmas Indeed.

Yes, that was a deliberate move to kill spirituality.

Raising the Kundalini is a central part of spirituality and has been since the beginning in all cultures, all over the planet. What blocks the serpent power from rising are blocks created in the second chakra, which is responsible for regulating the energetic aspect of sexuality. Demonising this aspect of our existence stops the natural process of Kundalini Awakening from occurring. Christians, Muslims and Jews in particular have a lot of sexual hangups (though it varies from culture to culture), which are implanted into children from an early age. It is a form of mind control, but the aim is to keep the serpent power dormant and thus deprive the majority of the Earth's population from evolving spiritually. A person with a Risen Serpent (that's what druids were in ancient Britain btw, they were known as Serpents for this reason) is a serious threat to organised religion, as they can interact freely with the world of the Spirit and get direct knowledge from The Source, no intermediaries or revealed scripture needed.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th December 2018), Cearna (26th December 2018), Dreamtimer (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), palooka's revenge (26th December 2018)

Thanks
    I think it would be more realistic to view it as a dichotomy between the east and the west.

The East as 'self' is central to spiritual enlightenment, as opposed to the West with 'creation' as central. Probable validity in both approaches.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 25th December 2018 at 20:18.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th December 2018), Cearna (26th December 2018), Chris (25th December 2018), Dreamtimer (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), palooka's revenge (26th December 2018), Wind (25th December 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post

Yes, that was a deliberate move to kill spirituality.
    More precisely, kill the Will and you kill spirituality!

…the aim is to keep the serpent power dormant and thus deprive the majority of the Earth's population from evolving spiritually.
    Agree. True evolution is inconceivable (hint hint) with only half the recipe present.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th December 2018), Cearna (26th December 2018), Chris (26th December 2018), Dreamtimer (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    I think it would be more realistic to view it as a dichotomy between the east and the west.
    That dichotomy is a reenactment of the gap between the north and the south.

The East as 'self' is central to spiritual enlightenment, as opposed to the West with 'creation' as central. Probable validity in both approaches.
    Indeed. But I wouldn't short the east on creationism nor condemn self acknowledgment as anathema to divine heritage.

There were some who tried otherwise but were erased from the narrative…

If those who lead you say to you: ‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’ then the birds of the sky will precede you.
    If they say to you: ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
    Rather, the kingdom is inside of you and outside of you.
    When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
    But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty.

Didymos Judas Thomas

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th December 2018), Chris (26th December 2018), Dreamtimer (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), Emil El Zapato (26th December 2018)

Thanks
    Sure, and the condemnation of any other is the starting point for spiritual failure.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th December 2018), Chris (26th December 2018), Dreamtimer (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), palooka's revenge (26th December 2018)

Thanks
    I took the Thomas name at my confirmation...several motivations for that.

But Jesus emphasized the very same thing...this was part of his message.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th December 2018), Chris (26th December 2018), Dreamtimer (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), palooka's revenge (26th December 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Jaysus, people!

The Romans inventing Jesus goes along with their re-invention of history, removing Tartaria. Possibly.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th December 2018), Chris (27th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Jaysus, people!

The Romans inventing Jesus goes along with their re-invention of history, removing Tartaria. Possibly.
    I can hear the wailing of the suffering in the cosmic winds...But what are they crying?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th December 2018), Dreamtimer (28th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Dmitry Orlov at his sarcastic best. I love this piece.

http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2019/0...game.html#more

Most people are familiar with the game Monopoly. Its goal is to teach capitalist kiddies a valuable lesson about capitalism; namely, that in running a business it isn’t useful to shoot for some happy modicum of accommodation with your competitors or to strive for a sustainable steady state. Instead, what you need to do to survive (never mind win) is to grow as quickly as possible and eat up your competitors alive, or you’ll get eaten up yourself. That’s not just a game; that’s exactly how capitalism actually works, and if that doesn’t work for you (it doesn’t for most people) then that’s exactly how capitalism doesn’t work.

And so the Waltons couldn’t just run Walmart as a mart; they had to make it into a global empire—just in order to survive. Now, most governments in the world realize that this sort of unbridled capitalism is harmful and seek to regulate it. For instance, Russia has a Federal Antimonopoly Service. The US Justice Department has an Antitrust Division, which is aptly named if its mission is to destroy Americans’ trust in their government’s ability to regulate business. It also has a website which currently says: “Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated.” Perhaps that’s all right for a country that seeks to monopolize everything—international finance and law, defense procurement and, of course, the dispensation of “freedom and democracy” and “universal values.”

Most people are also familiar with the concept of national debt. The federal debt of the US government currently equals… never mind; it’s going up much faster than you can write it down. If you want to watch it go up real time, you can look it up here. The exact number is useless: if you take a snapshot of it—say, $21,921,420,945,123.00—that will no longer be the payoff amount by the time you write out the check, and if you write out the check, no matter who you are, it will bounce. But it won’t even get that far: if you mail that check to the US Treasury Department, they wouldn’t be able to deposit it because “Due to the lapse in appropriations...” (You get the picture.)

The debt goes up all the time, and the rate at which it goes up is accelerating. The concept of acceleration may not be intuitive for some of you, so let me explain. Debt goes up with some speed. Acceleration is the amount by which that speed increases, measured in, for example, dollars per minute per minute. Calculating it is a fun little arithmetic exercise. During Barak Obama’s reign it went up by $8.6 trillion, starting from $11.6 trillion and gong up to $20.2 trillion. Trump plans to add $4.8 trillion during his first three years. (Relevant numbers can be looked up here).

Thus, Obama’s velocity was $8.6 trillion over 8 years—roughly $1 trillion per year or $2 million per minute while Trump’s velocity is roughly $1.6 trillion per year or a little over $3 million per minute. Therefore, the acceleration is only a few cents per minute per minute—but it sure adds up! Acceleration tends to sneak up on you. For instance, if you want to gain some intuitive appreciation for acceleration due to gravity (9.81m or 32 feet per second per second) then try jumping off a chair while keeping your knees straight. You can also ponder the fact that satellites that fall out of Earth’s orbit tend to burn up on reentry as they decelerate due to friction with the atmosphere.

Any sane, numerate person can tell you that increases in debt are fine provided your revenues are increasing significantly faster, but if that’s not the case then the eventual result is bankruptcy. And that is most definitely not the case. Hence the name of this board game is National Bankruptcy. But I am not sure what the objective of the game should be. Is it to go bankrupt as quickly and efficiently as possible, or is to go bankrupt as slowly and painfully as possible?

I am quite sure that players who aren’t on a path to national bankruptcy would prefer to keep it that way, and would furthermore prefer to be rid of all sovereign debt issued by whoever is going to go bankrupt before that happens. (Russia seems to have that problem solved already while China is far behind.) In any case, I am a very serious person who doesn’t like jokes and doesn’t have time to play games, board games included, so I’ll leave it to others to ponder such questions. Still, the board game metaphor seems useful for discussing this topic.

One problem with playing this game is the problem of scale. People have a problem appreciating such huge numbers. They are familiar with what a dollar is, but what’s a trillion? Here it is, represented as double-stacked pallets of $100 bills.

That seems a bit cumbersome for our board game. Reasonable values for the chips in our National Bankruptcy game would be $100 billion, $500 billion and $1 trillion. We could use a few $5 trillion and $10 trillion chips too, though not too many because I doubt that the game would go on long enough to make them useful.

I propose that for the sake of this game we introduce a handy new unit called a “piffle” which is equal to $100 billion. A trillion is 10 piffles, 10 trillion is 100 piffles. Then our chips can be 1, 5, 10, 50 and 100 piffles. Piffles allow us to express various huge quantities without going through any arithmetic contortions. US federal debt is currently 220 piffles. US trade deficit for 2018 was 6 piffles while the US defense budget was 7 piffles. For 2019 the federal budget deficit (covered by increased borrowing) is 10 piffles and rising while tax revenues are just 3 piffles and falling. The interest payment on federal debt is 3 piffles but with rising interest rates it’s going to 5 piffles within a few years.

Speaking of rising interest rates… just today Trump wished for 0% interest rates again, like Obama had while he was running up his 80 piffles’ worth of debt. But now it’s hovering around 3% and is unlikely to go down no matter what Trump wishes. Why? Well, here’s the reason. The US imports much more than it exports because it can’t afford to or lacks the ability to make all the stuff it needs; that’s why there are 6 piffles’ worth of trade deficit. When other nations sell to the US more than they buy, they end up holding lots of piffles, and since the US needs lots of piffles (remember, the budget deficit is 10 piffles) it makes plenty of sense to borrow that money right back. A little while back it was possible to borrow it back at 0% interest because the US was powerful enough to threaten those who refused to play this game with military annihilation (cue pictures of bombed-out Libya and Iraq). But times have changed, and unless the US bribes its debt-holders with 3% interest rate or better—no deal.

How have times changed? There are two effects worth mentioning. First, the military annihilation threat isn’t working any more. Yes, the US still spends a stunning, record-shattering sum of 7 piffles on defense, but none of that is working. Call it the free money effect. When people spend their own hard-earned money, they tend to be careful with it, but if it’s somebody else’s money that they got for free never intending to pay it back, then they tend to throw caution to the wind. And so US military spending has become less and less effective over time, in one of two ways: procurement costs have gone through the roof, and the resulting products have become useless.

In terms of procurement costs, the purchasing parity between the US and (just as an example) Russia seems to be at least ten to one: to get the same result, the US has to spend at least ten times more than Russia. And so although Russia spends well less than 1 piffle on defense, its military is far more effective. In terms of product uselessness, the Pentagon now resembles a woman who has a closet jam-packed with expensive designer labels but has absolutely nothing to wear because her entire wardrobe is no longer fashionable. There is the entire set of aircraft carriers none of which can operate close enough to enemy shores to be of any use at all because they can be readily sunk using hypersonic rockets launched from very far away. There are the stockpiles of Tomahawk cruise missiles which can’t make it past Soviet-era air defense systems (with a few electronics and software upgrades). There are the Patriot air defense systems which are useless even for stopping Soviet-era SCUD missiles, never mind anything more modern.

Add to this Russia’s (and soon China’s) new hypersonic weapons with conventional payloads and new air and space defense systems such as the S-400: these provide what’s known as “escalation dominance.” Suppose the US does something unspeakably nasty and Russia and/or China decide to teach it a lesson. They now have the ability to blow up any target within the US without getting anywhere near it and without placing any of their military assets at risk.

They could, for instance, take out the US electric grid in a way that will take many months to get it back on line. They can then reliably intercept anything that the US tries to retaliate with. Of course, the US can become suicidal—that’s always a risk—and launch a full-on nuclear first strike, then sit back and wait to be completely obliterated along with much of the rest of the planet. But that’s not a military strategy, that’s pure suicide, and the officers in charge of military strategy tend to be emotionally stable family men who look forward to playing with their grandchildren upon retirement.

So, why then should the US continue to spend 7 piffles on defense? The sad answer is that it will go bankrupt whether it zeroes out the defense budget or not. If the defense budget goes to 0, then there is still 3 piffles’ worth of budget deficit left, plus those 6 piffles of trade deficit aren’t going anywhere but up. But what about MAGA?—you might ask—What about firing up US manufacturing, bringing the jobs back and exporting our way out of this? After all, if we turn those 6 piffles of trade deficit into 6 piffles of trade surplus, suddenly it all works out and bankruptcy becomes avoidable.

No, sorry, that just not realistic. You see, in order to get an industrial economy going again the US needs several things. It needs cheap energy, cheap labor, low cost of doing business and readily available markets, both domestic and export. And the US doesn’t have any of these. In terms of energy—and oil is by far the most important form of energy—in 2019 the US will import exactly as much oil as it did in 1998—around 8 million barrels a day. Yes, the shale oil industry has sprung up in the meantime, and the US is currently producing 11.5 million barrels per day. But also in the meantime US oil consumption has gone up a lot—to 20 million barrels a day, which is a stunning 20% of the world’s consumption for 4.4% of the world’s population.

And so the oil deficit is still very much there. Plus the shale oil patch has never made any money but has accumulated over 2 piffles’ worth of debt and has spent over a piffle’s worth more than it made. With interest rates going up they are unlikely to be able to borrow enough to keep up the same hectic drilling rate, and with declines from existing wells at over half a million barrels per day per month it won’t take many months to whittle down that 11.5 million barrels per day, forcing the US to either boost imports or cut consumption.

But the oil price has gone down a lot lately, so there shouldn’t be a problem in any case, right? Again, sorry, no. Peak Oil for most countries has come and gone. There is now only a handful of countries left that are able to meaningfully boost oil production: Russia, Canada (mostly tar sands), Iran, Iraq, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Brazil. Russia has recently announced that it isn’t planning to boost production. Saudi Arabia is a huge oil producer but does not seem to have any spare capacity left. Canada’s tar sands patch is a money-losing environmental disaster. Iran and Iraq (call them Iranq, since they are both Shia Moslem, are politically aligned and neither loves America too much) aren’t exactly going to gallop to the rescue. That leaves UAE, Kuwait and Brazil, and if you add them all up together that’s nowhere near enough. So, get ready for oil price spikes, followed by a wave of demand destruction, followed by oil price collapses, followed by supply destruction—you know, the usual.

Moving on to labor. In order to stay competitive, the US will need to lower its median wage a lot. It has to be lower than what the Chinese and the Southeast Asians earn because the US needs to outcompete them to steal their export market share. Without various other major changes this will cause US workers to either rebel or starve to death in short order. The changes involve nationalizing medicine and education to drive down their costs by a factor of 1000 or so, converting to public transportation and pretty much banning the use of private cars to make transportation affordable, putting up high-rises right next to factories for affordable worker housing and so on. That’s a lot of piffles’ worth of effort!

The cost of doing business is a tough one too. The US spends way more on courts and lawyers, insurance and regulatory compliance than most other countries, and the regulatory maze that entrepreneurs have to run in order to run even a small and simple business is very costly and absolutely confounding. How does one take a machete to that whole ridiculous, corrupt scheme? I have no idea. It’s an imponderable. The Chinese would probably just call it a “cultural revolution,” round up all the lawyers and the bureaucrats, make them wear dunce caps and sandwich boards that say “I am what is wrong with this country” and march them in procession while pelting them with rocks and beating them with sticks. Something like that…

Finally, there is the question of export markets. What exactly is the US going to export more effectively than other countries are exporting already? China out-manufactures just about anybody on the planet and isn’t about to give up its spot. Russia exports grain and other foodstuffs (all non-GMO, unlike the US), nuclear and space technology, defense technology (that actually works) and much else. Pakistan and India, and various other countries, export textiles. The world is full up with product. It’s consumers to bankrupt that are in short supply. And if the US cuts its labor rates to make itself competitive, then its consumer base will shrink rather dramatically.

So it looks like bankruptcy is it, no use fighting it. But what should the US do in the meantime? I suggest that it should put up some really huge walls—just for the sake of leaving behind some spectacular ruins for future generations to marvel at. The one along the southern border seems to be going up already, but there should be at least two more. There needs to be a wall along the Mason-Dixon line, because given the heated state of US politics there needs to be a way to prevent people from trying to reenact the Civil War (a misnomer, that!) with actual real weapons and live ammo. And there also needs to be a wall along the northern border, to keep various groups of armed troglodytes from escaping to Canada and ransacking it (it’s the least we can do for our peaceful northern neighbors). How much will these three walls cost? Glad you asked! They will cost roughly 0.005 piffles apiece, 0.015 piffles total—a truly piffling amount. That’s my 0.000000002 piffle’s worth. But, you know, it’s the thought that counts.

Oh, and if you want to actually design this National Bankruptcy board game, please resist the temptation to contact me about it. Seriously, I don’t like games, board games especially. I am a very serious person who doesn’t have time for such piffles.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th January 2019), Cearna (17th January 2019), Dreamtimer (9th January 2019), Elen (9th January 2019), Kathy (10th January 2019), palooka's revenge (9th January 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The piffles make it fun.

I never liked Monopoly. It was not fun to lose and it was not fun to win. I didn't like doing to others what I didn't like having done to me. (I prefer the real Golden Rule)

We play cooperative games quite often. It's nice to work together to accomplish victory.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th January 2019), Cearna (17th January 2019), Chris (9th January 2019), Elen (10th January 2019), Kathy (10th January 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2019/0...date.html#more

The Five Stages of Collapse, 2019 Update

Collapse, at each stage, is a historical process that takes time to run its course as the system adapts to changing circumstances, compensates for its weaknesses and finds ways to continue functioning at some level. But what changes rather suddenly is faith or, to put it in more businesslike terms, sentiment. A large segment of the population or an entire political class within a country or the entire world can function based on a certain set of assumptions for much longer than the situation warrants but then over a very short period of time switch to a different set of assumptions. All that sustains the status quo beyond that point is institutional inertia. It imposes limits on how fast systems can change without collapsing entirely. Beyond that point, people will tolerate the older practices only until replacements for them can be found.

Stage 1: Financial collapse. Faith in “business as usual” is lost.

Internationally, the major change in sentiment in the world has to do with the role of the US dollar (and, to a lesser extent, the Euro and the Yen—the other two reserve currencies of the three-legged globalist central banker stool). The world is transitioning to the use of local currencies, currency swaps and commodities markets backed by gold. The catalyst for this change of sentiment was provided by the US administration itself which sawed through its own perch by its use of unilateral sanctions. By using its control over dollar-based transactions to block international transactions it doesn’t happen to like it forced other countries to start looking for alternatives. Now a growing list of countries sees throwing off the shackles of the US dollar as a strategic goal. Russia and China use the ruble and the yuan for their expanding trade; Iran sells oil to India for rupees. Saudi Arabia has started to accept the yuan for its oil.

This change has many knock-on effects. If the dollar is no longer needed to conduct international trade, other nations no longer have hold large quantities of it in reserve. Consequently, there is no longer a need to buy up large quantities of US Treasury notes. Therefore, it becomes unnecessary to run large trade surpluses with the US, essentially conducting trade at a loss. Further, the attractiveness of the US as an export market drops and the cost of imports to the US rises, thereby driving up cost inflation. A vicious spiral ensues in which the ability of the US government to borrow internationally to finance the gaping chasm of its various deficits becomes impaired. Sovereign default of the US government and national bankruptcy then follow.

The US may still look mighty, but its dire fiscal predicament coupled with its denial of the inevitability of bankruptcy, makes it into something of a Blanche DuBois from the Tennessee Williams play “A Streetcar Named Desire.” She was “always dependent on the kindness of strangers” but was tragically unable to tell the difference between kindness and desire. In this case, the desire is for national advantage and security, and to minimize risk by getting rid of an unreliable trading partner.

How quickly or slowly this comes to pass is difficult to guess at and impossible to calculate. It is possible to think of the financial system in terms of a physical analogue, with masses of funds traveling at some velocity having a certain inertia (p = mv) and with forces acting on that mass to accelerate it along a different trajectory (F = ma). It is also possible to think of it in terms of hordes of stampeding animals who can change course abruptly when panicked. The recent abrupt moves in the financial markets, where trillions of dollars of notional, purely speculative value have been wiped out within weeks, are more in line with the latter model.

Stage 2: Commercial collapse. Faith that “the market shall provide” is lost.

Within the US there is really no other alternative than the market. There are a few rustic enclaves, mostly religious communities, that can feed themselves, but that’s a rarity. For everyone else there is no choice but to be a consumer. Consumers who are broke are called “bums,” but they are still consumers. To the extent that the US has a culture, it is a commercial culture in which the goodness of a person is based on the goodly sums of money in their possession. Such a culture can die by becoming irrelevant (when everyone is dead broke) but by then most of the carriers of this culture are likely to be dead too. Alternatively, it can be replaced by a more humane culture that isn’t entirely based on the cult of Mammon—perhaps, dare I think, through a return to a pre-Protestant, pre-Catholic Christian ethic that values people’s souls above objects of value?

Stage 3: Political collapse. Faith that “the government will take care of you” is lost.

All is very murky at the moment, but I would venture to guess that most people in the US are too distracted, too stressed and too preoccupied with their own vices and obsessions to pay much attention to the political realm. Of the ones they do pay attention, a fair number of them seem clued in to the fact that the US is not a democracy at all but an elites-only sandbox in which transnational corporate and oligarchic interests build and knock down each others’ sandcastles.

The extreme political polarization, where two virtually identical pro-capitalist, pro-war parties pretend to wage battle by virtue-signaling may be a symptom of the extremely decrepit state of the entire political arrangement: people are made to watch the billowing smoke and to listen to the deafening noise in the hopes that they won’t notice that the wheels are no longer turning.

The fact that what amounts to palace intrigue—the fracas between the White House, the two houses of Congress and a ghoulish grand inquisitor named Mueller—has taken center stage is uncannily reminiscent of various earlier political collapses, such as the disintegration of the Ottoman Empire or of the fall and the consequent beheading of Louis XVI. The fact that Trump, like the Ottoman worthies, stocks his harem with East European women, lends an eerie touch. That said, most people in the US seem blind to the nature of their overlords in a way that the French, with their Gilets Jaunes movement (just as an example) are definitely not.

Stage 4: Social collapse. Faith that “your people will take care of you” is lost.

I have been saying for some years now that within the US social collapse has largely run its course, although whether people actually believe that is an entire matter entirely. Defining “your people” is rather difficult. The symbols are still there—the flag, the Statue of Liberty and a predilection for iced drinks and heaping plates of greasy fried foods—but the melting pot seems to have suffered a meltdown and melted all the way to China. At present half the households within the US speak a language other than English at home, and a fair share of the rest speak dialects of English that are not mutually intelligible with the standard North American English dialect of broadcast television and university lecturers.

Throughout its history as a British colony and as a nation the US has been dominated by the Anglo ethnos. The designation “ethnos” is not an ethnic label. It is not strictly based on genealogy, language, culture, habitat, form of government or any other single factor or group of factors. These may all be important to one extent or another, but the viability of an ethnos is based solely on its cohesion and the mutual inclusivity and common purpose of its members. The Anglo ethnos reached its zenith in the wake of World War II, during which many social groups were intermixed in the military and their more intelligent members were allowed to become educated and to advance socially by the GI Bill.

Fantastic potential was unleashed when privilege—the curse of the Anglo ethnos since its inception—was temporarily replaced with merit and the more talented demobilized men, of whatever extraction, were given a chance at education and social advancement by the GI Bill. Speaking a new sort of American English based on the Ohio dialect as a Lingua Franca, these Yanks—male, racist, sexist and chauvinistic and, at least in their own minds, victorious—were ready to remake the entire world in their own image.

They proceeded to flood the entire world with oil (US oil production was in full flush then) and with machines that burned it. Such passionate acts of ethnogenesis are rare but not unusual: the Romans who conquered the entire Mediterranean basin, the barbarians who then sacked Rome, the Mongols who later conquered most of Eurasia and the Germans who for a very brief moment possessed an outsized Lebensraum are other examples.

And now it is time to ask: what remains of this proud conquering Anglo ethnos today? We hear shrill feminist cries about “toxic masculinity” and minorities of every stripe railing against “whitesplaining” and in response we hear a few whimpers but mostly silence. Those proud, conquering, virile Yanks who met and fraternized with the Red Army at the River Elbe on April 25, 1945—where are they? Haven’t they devolved into a sad little subethnos of effeminate, porn-addicted overgrown boys who shave their pubic hair and need written permission to have sex without fear of being charged with rape?

Will the Anglo ethnos persist as a relict, similar to how the English have managed to hold onto their royals (who are technically no longer even aristocrats since they now practice exogamy with commoners)? Or will it get wiped out in a wave of depression, mental illness and opiate abuse, its glorious history of rapine, plunder and genocide erased and the statues of its war heroes/criminals knocked down? Only time will tell.

Stage 5: Cultural collapse. Faith in “the goodness of humanity” is lost.

The term “culture” means many things to many people, but it is more productive to observe cultures than to argue about them. Cultures are expressed through people’s stereotypical behaviors that are readily observable in public. These are not the negative stereotypes often used to identify and reject outsiders but the positive stereotypes—cultural standards of behavior, really—that serve as requirements for social adequacy and inclusion. We can readily assess the viability of a culture by observing the stereotypical behaviors of its members.

• Do people exist as a single continuous, inclusive sovereign realm or as a set of exclusive, potentially warring enclaves segregated by income, ethnicity, education level, political affiliation and so on? Do you see a lot of walls, gates, checkpoints, security cameras and “no trespassing” signs? Is the law of the land enforced uniformly or are there good neighborhoods, bad neighborhoods and no-go zones where even the police fear to tread?

• Do random people thrown together in public spontaneously enter into conversation with each other and are comfortable with being crowded together, or are they aloof and fearful, and prefer to hide their face in the little glowing rectangle of their smartphone, jealously guarding their personal space and ready to regard any encroachment on it as an assault?

• Do people remain good-natured and tolerant toward each other even when hard-pressed or do they hide behind a façade of tense, superficial politeness and fly into a rage at the slightest provocation? Is conversation soft in tone, gracious and respectful or is it loud, shrill, rude and polluted with foul language? Do people dress well out of respect for each other, or to show off, or are they all just déclassé slobs—even the ones with money?

• Observe how their children behave: are they fearful of strangers and trapped in a tiny world of their own or are they open to the world and ready to treat any stranger as a surrogate brother or sister, aunt or uncle, grandmother or grandfather without requiring any special introduction? Do the adults studiously ignore each others’ children or do they spontaneously act as a single family?

• If there is a wreck on the road, do they spontaneously rush to each others’ rescue and pull people out before the wreck explodes, or do they, in the immortal words of Frank Zappa, “get on the phone and call up some flakes” who “rush on over and wreck it some more”?

• If there is a flood or a fire, do the neighbors take in the people who are rendered homeless, or do they allow them to wait for the authorities to show up and bus them to some makeshift government shelter?

It is possible to quote statistics or to provide anecdotal evidence to assess the state and the viability of a culture, but your own eyes and other senses can provide all the evidence you need to make that determination for yourself and to decide how much faith to put in “the goodness of humanity” that is evident in the people around you.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th January 2019), Cearna (17th January 2019), Elen (16th January 2019), Kathy (18th January 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Here in Australia the Real Estate/Housing market is starting to decline. I do not watch much television at all but lately I have been glancing at the mainstream television news and newspapers. I also have a friend who worked in the real Estate business for many many many years.

Here's what I see; Those in the know have predicted that the Real Estate market will decline and that much seems to be true - a slow decline is now evident if you know where to look. The mainstream news is however not reporting the decline. Not that I watch the television news at length but it seems that any Real Estate decline here in Australia is not being reported on in a public manner.

Sometimes my thoughts of the collapse of this paradigm centre on the consumerism - upon which this fiscal paradigm is based. I wonder when People will stop buying 'things' that they use a few times and then throw out to be included in 'landfill' - consumerism is not infinite it will eventually collapse. I just wonder whether it will be sooner rather than later. I wonder whether it will be in my lifetime.

Much Peace - As we keep looking for answers to our questions - Amanda

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th January 2019), Cearna (17th January 2019), Chris (17th January 2019), Elen (17th January 2019), Kathy (18th January 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Amanda View Post
    Here in Australia the Real Estate/Housing market is starting to decline. I do not watch much television at all but lately I have been glancing at the mainstream television news and newspapers. I also have a friend who worked in the real Estate business for many many many years.

Here's what I see; Those in the know have predicted that the Real Estate market will decline and that much seems to be true - a slow decline is now evident if you know where to look. The mainstream news is however not reporting the decline. Not that I watch the television news at length but it seems that any Real Estate decline here in Australia is not being reported on in a public manner.

Sometimes my thoughts of the collapse of this paradigm centre on the consumerism - upon which this fiscal paradigm is based. I wonder when People will stop buying 'things' that they use a few times and then throw out to be included in 'landfill' - consumerism is not infinite it will eventually collapse. I just wonder whether it will be sooner rather than later. I wonder whether it will be in my lifetime.

Much Peace - As we keep looking for answers to our questions - Amanda
    The planet has limits, that much we know. We have bumped against those limits since around 2005 and we're finding more and more of them. Big changes are coming and for most people they won't be good. Climate and Earth changes are already on the way. I think this year we will have some big events in that field and I think they will dwarf anything that might happen financially or economically. Cheap electronics and other consumer goods are going to be the least of people's problems, I think.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th January 2019), Elen (17th January 2019), Kathy (18th January 2019)