Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627283575 ... LastLast

Thread: Collapse

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/the-turnaround/

The Turnaround

At yesterday’s Thanksgiving table, fifteen adults present, there was not one word uttered about impeachment, Russia, Ukraine, and, most notably, a certain Golden Golem of Greatness, whose arrival at the center of American life three years ago kicked off a political hysteria not witnessed across this land since southern “fire eaters” lay siege to Fort Sumter.

I wonder if some great fatigue of the mind has set in among the class of people who follow the news and especially the tortured antics of Rep. Adam Schiff’s goat rodeo in the House intel Committee the past month. I wonder what the rest of congress is detecting among its constituents back home during this holiday hiatus. I suspect it is that same eerie absence of chatter I noticed, and what it may portend about the nation’s disposition toward reality.

The dead white man Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 – 1860) famously observed that “all truth passes through three stages: first, it is ridiculed; second, it is violently opposed; and third, it is accepted as self-evident.” America has been stuck in stage two lo these thirty-six months since Mr. Trump shocked the system with his electoral victory over She-Whose-Turn-Was-Undoubted, inciting a paroxysm of rage, disbelief, and retribution that has made the Left side of the political transect ridiculous, and repeatedly, ignominiously so, as their fantasies about Russian “collusion” and sequential chimeras dissolve in official proceedings.

The astounding failure of Mr. Mueller’s report did nothing to dampen the violent derangement. There was no rethinking whatsoever about the terms-of-engagement in the Left’s war against the populist hobgoblin. The solidarity of delusion remained locked in place, leading to Mr. Schiff’s recent antics over his false “whistleblower” and the enfilade of diplomatic flak-catchers tasked to ward off any truthful inquiry into events in Ukraine.

But then, with the Thanksgiving shut-down, something began to turn. It was signaled especially in the Left’s chief disinformation organ, The New York Times, with a week-long salvo of lame stories aimed at defusing the Horowitz report, forthcoming on December 9. The Times stories were surely based on leaks from individuals cited in the IG’s report, who were given the opportunity to “review” the briefs against them prior to the coming release. The stories gave off an odor of panic and desperation that signaled a crumbling loss of conviction in the three-year narrative assault on the truth — namely, that the US Intel Community organized a coup to overthrow the improbable President Trump.

From this point forward, the facts of the actual story — many of them already in the public record, one way or another, and sedulously ignored by the news media — will be officially detailed by federal authorities outside the orbit of the coupsters, and finally beyond the coupsters’ control. The facts may include the uncomfortable truth that Mr. Mueller and his helpers were major players in the bad-faith exercises of the Intel Community against the occupant of the White House.

I’m not so sure that the Resistance can keep up the fight, since their enemy is reality as much as reality’s mere personification in Mr. Trump. The violent opposition Schopenhauer spoke of in his three-stage model was just procedural in this case, moving through the courts and committees and other organs of the state. I don’t think the Left can bring the fight to the streets. They don’t have it in them, not even the ANTIFA corps. The hard truths of perfidy and treachery in the upper ranks of government will rain down in the weeks ahead, and when they do, there’s an excellent chance that they will be greeted as self-evident. The Times, the WashPo and the cable news networks will have no choice but to report it all. My guess is that they will display a kind of breathlessly naïve wonder that such things are so. Most remarkably, they might just assert that they knew it all along — a final twitch of bad faith as the new paradigm locks into place.

I expect that we will see something else happen along with that: a loud repudiation of the Democratic Party itself, a recognition that it betrayed the mental health of the nation in its lawless and demented inquisitions. I expect that sentiment will extend to the party’s current crop of candidates for the White House, to the delusional proposals they push, and perhaps even to the larger ethos of the Wokester religion that has programmatically tried to destroy the common culture of this country — especially the idea that we have a duty to be on the side of truth.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Dreamtimer (7th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th January 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    This is a nice story but it is based in alternative reality. Those such as myself recognized the depravity of 'The Golden One' upon 1st sight. It radiated from his persona even through such nebulous media as Twitter. It was not a 'leftist' paranoid psycho dysfunction that caused the growing outrage. It was the apparent psychic blindness of those that thought that he was a fitting President, less a fitting human being. And it continues. And there is fatigue, borne by disbelief that a sizable portion of humanity actually resonates with this diabolic synchrony. It took me awhile for the understanding to congeal into a articulate sense.

It isn't evil, the right is not evil but they are hopelessly deluded and in denial. But it is a forgivable sin in that any human that evolves a belief in their own desperation by egoistic requirement will envelop a bubble of denial. These desperate conditions create fertile ground for desperate acts and that is where we are notably in the United States but literally everywhere in the world. And it is the unenlightened masses that most easily fall prey to the vicissitudes of changing times. The masses fear that when their power base of whiteness falls away that they will be treated in kind by the 'others'. But that is a false fear that results from extreme psychological projection and not amenable to correct thinking and change. C'est la vie.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Chris (29th November 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    This is a nice story but it is based in alternative reality. Those such as myself recognized the depravity of 'The Golden One' upon 1st sight. It radiated from his persona even through such nebulous media as Twitter. It was not a 'leftist' paranoid psycho dysfunction that caused the growing outrage. It was the apparent psychic blindness of those that thought that he was a fitting President, less a fitting human being. And it continues. And there is fatigue, borne by disbelief that a sizable portion of humanity actually resonates with this diabolic synchrony. It took me awhile for the understanding to congeal into a articulate sense.

It isn't evil, the right is not evil but they are hopelessly deluded and in denial. But it is a forgivable sin in that any human that evolves a belief in their own desperation by egoistic requirement will envelop a bubble of denial. These desperate conditions create fertile ground for desperate acts and that is where we are notably in the United States but literally everywhere in the world. And it is the unenlightened masses that most easily fall prey to the vicissitudes of changing times. The masses fear that when their power base of whiteness falls away that they will be treated in kind by the 'others'. But that is a false fear that results from extreme psychological projection and not amenable to correct thinking and change. C'est la vie.
    Both sides have their own bubble, I think you are failing to realise that you are also in one. Trump may be despicable, but he is the legitimate president and the backhanded, secret tactics detailed above, to try and remove him (however i may applaud that) are clearly illegal and a sign of the dysfunction of the American polity at large. These are the sort of Shenanigans you would expect from the Ukraine or Ecuador, not a supposedly serious country and leader of the free world. From my outside vantage point, both the Left and the Right in the US are in self-destruct mode and when the crumbling edifice of the two-party system comes crashing down, it will probably bring the United States with it. As I have maintained all along, the US is going the way of the SU and there is nothing we can do about it, other than prepare and observe. Your attachment to the US Left-Wing paradigm probably won't serve you well psychologically when the whole thing goes up in a puff of smoke. This thing is dead like a Dodo and rotting from the inside already.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Dreamtimer (7th January 2020), Elen (30th November 2019), Fred Steeves (29th November 2019), Wind (30th November 2019)

Thanks
    hmmm, a bubble of truth is permeable. If there was truly another way to view this reality, I would see it. I'm that confident that some truths transcend sides. It is really that simple. I won't mourn the death of lies no matter how shiny of a package they come in. I won't, there would be no point.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 29th November 2019 at 17:05.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Chris (29th November 2019), Dreamtimer (7th January 2020), Elen (30th November 2019), Malisa (5th December 2019), Wind (30th November 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    https://www.businessinsider.com/nato...iously-2019-12

Trump was embarrassed on the first day of the NATO summit, and it shows no one is bothering to take him seriously anymore

- President Donald Trump is at the second day of the NATO leaders' summit in England.

- He entered the conference on Tuesday triumphant and claiming credit for the defense alliance's budget changes.

- But that success waned quickly as the day went on, as French President Emmanuel Macron openly questioned his claims, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appeared to mock him behind his back, and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson refused to be photographed with him.

- All of these leaders had been openly diplomatic and friendly with Trump in the past. Their behavior on Tuesday showed a world no longer bothering to take the US president seriously.

President Donald Trump entered the NATO summit triumphant, claiming credit for large structural changes in the alliance's defense spending.

But his first day turned out to encompass one embarrassment after another, with multiple world leaders openly sparring with him and appearing to mock him behind his back — suggesting that nobody is bothering to take him seriously anymore.
    Shortly before meeting other Western leaders in London on Tuesday, Trump claimed credit for NATO reducing the US government's contributions to the group and increasing those from other allies.

Though this plan had been in place since 2014 — when Barack Obama was president — Trump took it as a personal victory because he had long railed against what he perceived as the US's outsize contribution to the defense alliance.

That feeling of triumph most likely waned quickly, though, as the day went on. Here's a rundown of Trump's numerous embarrassments on Tuesday:

- He was publicly fact-checked by French President Emmanuel Macron — with whom he has touted having a strong relationship — at their joint press conference. Macron said the Islamic State terrorist group had not yet been defeated, despite Trump's repeated insistence that it had.
    Macron also challenged Trump's claim that ISIS fighters were "mostly from Europe."

- At a separate press conference with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Trump openly questioned one of NATO's founding principles, Article 5, which requires members to protect one another if under attack — prompting concern and criticism among NATO officials.

- Retired US Army Gen. Wesley Clark, a former NATO commander, told Business Insider's David Choi that Trump's comments were "a very rough way to play" with the alliance's principles and that "it undercuts deterrence, encourages potential adversaries, and erodes NATO itself."

- Trump appeared to be roundly mocked by world leaders and royalty behind his back. Though he did not mention Trump by name, Trudeau was recorded on video poking fun at what seemed to be Trump's impromptu 40-minute press conference, prompting laughter from a group that included Macron, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, and Princess Anne.

- The British Conservative Party took great pains to distance Johnson from Trump while the two leaders were in the same vicinity, for fear that Trump would jeopardize its chances of winning the coming UK general election next week. (Trump did appear to honor this by saying on Tuesday morning that he had no comment on the election.)

- According to Politico's London Playbook, Johnson was "so keen not to be photographed with the US president that he did not even greet him at the door when he and wife Melania arrived" at 10 Downing Street on Tuesday night.

This all shows world leaders aren't bothering to take Trump seriously anymore.
    Macron's publicly schooling Trump in front of dozens of reporters is a far cry from the two leaders' "bromance" two years ago.

Trudeau's apparent willingness to mock Trump in front of other world leaders contrasts heavily with the Canadian prime minister's pledge to himself in 2016 to criticize only the comments, rather than the character, of his American counterpart.

"There was a discipline that I imposed on myself early," Trudeau had told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation journalist Aaron Wherry, who wrote a book about the prime minister.

Johnson's refusal to be publicly seen with Trump also comes as a huge snub to the US president, who in October had endorsed him in the election.

George Conway, the husband of the senior White House counselor, Kellyanne Conway, tweeted in response to the video showing the world leaders on Tuesday, saying Trump was "the laughing stock of the planet."

"The world thinks you are an incompetent, ignorant, dumb, deranged buffoon — and they are right," Conway continued. "And you prove it to them every day."
    Trump, on his end, has put on a veneer of success at the NATO summit on his social-media accounts. It remains unclear how long that will last.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Dreamtimer (7th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th January 2020), Fred Steeves (4th December 2019), Malisa (5th December 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The Democrats are not organized in the way that the Republicans are. The Republicans have had a kind of unity which has eluded the Democrats for most of my life.

Republicans walk much more in lock-step, which is part of why they so easily flip-flopped from calling Trump a buffoon to saying that they'll support him no matter what.

Democrats are an amalgam of all sorts of folks. In terms of its membership the Democratic party represents the population of America as it currently is. Republicans are much more white/anglo and likely older.

There's a very big demographic difference between the two.

That matters when it comes to issues of race, sexuality, culture, etc.

It's much easier for a homogenous group to walk in lock-step.

Saying that the two parties are the same is easy, but not very true.

Republicans play hard ball and are quite ruthless. The Democrats cannot unite to play the game with the same force, they are too diverse.

And then there is the issue of the largest voting block which is independent or just hasn't been voting. That always changes the dynamic. Voters obviously aren't legislators, but they are the ones who cause them to come and go.

Once folks get in Congress, it becomes about the hierarchy and seniority. Some of the newer members are bucking that convention.

Trump has now managed to unify Iran. The government protests stopped, the people now have common cause. I shudder to think what will come to bring Americans to a state of common cause. The last time was 9/11.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Chris (7th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th January 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    MW is a good solution, with vice Tulsi maybe

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Chris (7th January 2020), Dreamtimer (7th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th January 2020)

Thanks
    Female powerhouse. America is still having a hard time with the idea of a woman president.

Once it happens, though, it will quickly become the norm.

That is, if we survive...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Chris (7th January 2020), Elen (8th January 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    This may sound counterintuitive, but those that shout the loudest about racism and sexism are often the most racist and sexist. It's like all those Republican senators and evangelical preachers who condemn homosexuality and then are caught having illicit affairs. They always blame it on Satan or the "Devil", which is just code for their own carnal nature and true desires.

Similarly, I suspect that the obsession with Race, Sex and Sexual Orientation masks a deep-seated insecurity and hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Chris, 7th January 2020 at 11:49.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Dreamtimer (7th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th January 2020)

Thanks
    agreed Chris, deep seated insecurity turned outward by projection and inward through fetish.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Chris (7th January 2020), Dreamtimer (7th January 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Female powerhouse. America is still having a hard time with the idea of a woman president.

Once it happens, though, it will quickly become the norm.

That is, if we survive...
    Pakistan and India have both had female presidents. The British Empire (sorry, Commonwealth ) has been led by a woman for over half a century now. Just think about that for a moment. Kind of shows you how this constant obsession with the supposed racism and sexism of the rest of the world comes from a place of deep insecurity and actual racism and sexism within US society. The Hypocrisy rankles.
    Last edited by Chris, 7th January 2020 at 11:57.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th January 2020), Dreamtimer (7th January 2020), Elen (8th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th January 2020), modwiz (8th January 2020)

Thanks
    I don't claim that a woman will be better. We almost had Sarah Palin one step away from the Presidency and that would've been a nightmare.

The racism in America is connected to slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow laws, de-segregation, etc. It's just there, part of our makeup.

You are right about the 'methinks thou dost protest too much' dynamic. I just had a conversation with someone who regularly makes gross and inappropriate comments about black people and this person was so 'offended' that I could even think they would do such a thing, a thing they do regularly.

On the other hand:

During the height of the 'me too' movement, many men were discounting sexism and assault with comments like, "Can we just talk about something important?"

Many of those men turned out to be offenders. They were acting as if it was no big deal, and then they got caught.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th January 2020), Chris (9th January 2020), Elen (8th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th January 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    The below Guardian (what else?) article is a typical example of why people loathe the liberal-leftist media.

The right-wing media has its own problems, but just observe the insidious language, the lies and misrepresentations, as well as the judicious use of "conspiracy theorist" and "anti-semite" whenever a national leader actually does what the people who voted him into office want him to do.

I honestly don't know anyone, who doesn't find this sort of quasi-communistic "journalism" (Pravda would be so proud) reprehensible, so I wonder, who actually believes and follows these self-aggrandising leftist journalists any more? I realise that the right-wing media has its own issues, especially in the quasi-fascistic Murdochsphere (Fox News, Daily Mail, etc...), but let us at least recognise what ails the left-wing media conglomerates, because as of now, they have more power and influence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nson-and-trump

Hungary for Brexit: Orbán praises Johnson and Trump

Far-right leader, known as conspiracy theorist, backs PM as ex-No 10 aide predicts close ties

Hungary’s far-right prime minister, Viktor Orbán, has given a ringing endorsement to Boris Johnson and Brexit, offering a pointer as to which European capitals are likely to be friendliest to post-Brexit Britain.

Orbán said Johnson and Donald Trump were “the most courageous, the most dynamic and the most ready to effect change” of all the politicians in the world today. The admiration is mutual: it emerged this week that Tim Montgomerie, a former aide of Johnson, said he expected Britain and Hungary to forge a “special relationship” after Brexit, and praised Orbán’s thinking on the “limits of liberalism”.

Most European leaders have expressed their dismay at Brexit, but Orbán, who believes Europe is “under attack” from Muslim migrants and has claimed the Jewish Hungarian-American philanthropist and financier George Soros has a plot to destroy Europe, said he is a fan.

“They have opened this vast door of opportunities for themselves. I’m sure there is a success story that will be written there,” said Orbán, during his annual press conference in Budapest on Thursday. He implied that if Hungary had the same financial, diplomatic and military strength as Britain, it may also have considered leaving the bloc.

His comments came as Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief negotiator, warned in a speech in Sweden that failure to seal a deal on trade over the next 11 months would damage the UK more than the 27 remaining member states.

“Yes, the UK represents 9% of all EU27 trade. But more significantly, the EU27 accounts for 43% of all UK exports and 50% of its imports,” Barnier said. “So, it is clear that if we fail to reach a deal, it will be more harmful for the UK than for the EU27.”

Also on Thursday, Croatia’s prime minister, Andrej Plenković, warned that negotiations over access to British waters for the EU fishing fleet had the potential to end in a repeat of the cod wars of the 1970s, when the UK was forced to deploy the Royal Navy to deal with outbreaks of violence on the seas.

Speaking as his country assumed the six-month presidency of the EU council , Plenković said he “never thought Brexit was a very bright idea”.

Orbán, however, criticised European leaders who thought Brussels held the cards in the negotiations and called on Europe to be “generous” during the next 11 months. “I think the EU misunderstands the situation, because they believe that a good relationship with UK is the Brits’ interest, but it is our interest too, the other members of the EU,” he said.

He paid a lengthy tribute to Johnson’s election victory last month. “The whole world was against him: the liberal leftist media, the global Soros network and all the tools of the pro-remain EU, but just because he and the British people believe in democracy, they’ve done it,” said Orbán.

The Hungarian prime minister has been in power since 2010, and in 2018 he won a third consecutive term. His government is in trouble with Brussels over corruption and rule of law issues, and has spent the past five years campaigning relentlessly on the supposed threat to “Christian Europe” from migration.

Orbán has promoted conspiracy theories, usually with antisemitic undertones, about the overarching influence of George Soros in Hungary and across Europe, and has also tapped into another far-right conspiracy theory, that of the “great replacement”.

He has built a fence along the country’s border with Serbia, and his government has been accused by human rights groups of starving migrants by denying them food in the transit zones where they must process asylum claims.

While all this has been criticised by rights groups and many European politicians, Montgomerie, a former journalist who was hired as a senior adviser to Johnson last September, praised the Hungarian government’s ideology, saying there was a lot for Britain to learn from Orbán, and promising close relations with the country after Brexit.

“Budapest and Hungary have been home, I think, for an awful lot of interesting early thinking on the limits of liberalism, and I think we are seeing that in the UK as well. So I hope there will be a special relationship with Hungary amongst other states,” said Montgomerie, in a speech to a thinktank in Budapest last month, comments that were posted online and first uncovered by Buzzfeed News earlier this week.

On Thursday No 10 described Montgomerie as a “former adviser” without giving a reason for his departure.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th January 2020), Elen (10th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th January 2020), modwiz (9th January 2020)

Thanks
    cheap journalism...done to emphasize weaknesses...I don't know much about the Guardian but are they like MSNBC or FOX...not really cool...even if the basic philosophy is true and it is a statement against the fascist predisposition.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Chris (10th January 2020), Dreamtimer (10th January 2020), Elen (10th January 2020)

Thanks
    I think it was shown pretty clearly here.

(There was a lot of Fox news but also plenty of CNN and others)

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Chris (10th January 2020), Elen (10th January 2020), Emil El Zapato (11th January 2020)