Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ... 11515859606162636471 ... LastLast

Thread: Collapse

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Looks like the swamp is as swampy as ever and I mean the banks. Did anyone see The Big Short? I remember the economy going into the ditch and folks losing their homes who hadn't even taken out a mortgage.

The Banks didn't pay for their financial sins, the taxpayers did. The Banksters are still doing it. When the music stops, who loses? Not them.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xIgseFCpc

This problem may originate here in the US, but the world is involved because the economics of banking is international.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th May 2021), Chris (4th June 2021), Elen (6th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (5th May 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021), Wind (5th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Looks like the swamp is as swampy as ever and I mean the banks. Did anyone see The Big Short? I remember the economy going into the ditch and folks losing their homes who hadn't even taken out a mortgage.

The Banks didn't pay for their financial sins, the taxpayers did. The Banksters are still doing it. When the music stops, who loses? Not them.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xIgseFCpc

This problem may originate here in the US, but the world is involved because the economics of banking is international.
    Correct. The bankers are the true international elite, devoid of ethics and holding the whole world hostage. It's a legalized crime syndicate.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (4th June 2021), Dreamtimer (6th May 2021), Elen (6th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (5th May 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021), Wind (5th May 2021)

Thanks
    It sucks the big one. And we pay the price.

I'm not one for vigilante justice, but a good walk of shame for the bankers a la Game of Thrones would suit me.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th May 2021), Chris (4th June 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (6th May 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021), Wind (6th May 2021)

Thanks
    It's a fantastic distraction, to get folks all riled up about fake pedos.

The swamp just keeps getting away with it while those out for blood are chasing the wrong people while freely and continually giving the distraction the Banksters need.

So sad.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th May 2021), Chris (4th June 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (31st May 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021), Wind (6th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    It sucks the big one. And we pay the price.

I'm not one for vigilante justice, but a good walk of shame for the bankers a la Game of Thrones would suit me.
    That would suit me too, who should we pick ... How about the Dragon Queen?
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th May 2021), Chris (4th June 2021), Dreamtimer (21st May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021), Wind (22nd May 2021)

Thanks
    Here's some more stuff related to Collapse. Our American eagle only has two wings. When one doesn't want to fly...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Chris (4th June 2021), Emil El Zapato (31st May 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Here's some more stuff related to Collapse. Our American eagle only has two wings. When one doesn't want to fly...

This source (Mehdi Hasan) has already been discredited by your buddy. Y'all can't have it both ways and remain credible:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvOjlfRpXHQ

Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    the right finds people like this deluded a-hole to make their case.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Chris (4th June 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    This source (Mehdi Hasan) has already been discredited by your buddy. Y'all can't have it both ways and remain credible:
    Freddy, Freddy, Freddy ... you forgot to add this part.

Fred, even if there was substantial truth to the claim of deliberate lying, which there isn't, it is senseless to conflate Mandela thanking him for getting arrested to the lying of Gaetz, Trump, January 6th, Nixon, McCarthy (both of them), and all the rest of 'them'. There is just no comparison. Give it up and face the reality that your 'old' party is seriously ill. I've calculated that 1 in 2 rightist person is a psychopath, sociopath, paranoid, schizotypal, antisocial, narcissist, or whatever dissociated personality one can think of.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    Freddy, Freddy, Freddy ... you forgot to add this part.

Fred, even if there was substantial truth to the claim of deliberate lying, which there isn't, it is senseless to conflate Mandela thanking him for getting arrested to the lying of Gaetz, Trump, January 6th, Nixon, McCarthy (both of them), and all the rest of 'them'. There is just no comparison. Give it up and face the reality that your 'old' party is seriously ill. I've calculated that 1 in 2 rightist person is a psychopath, sociopath, paranoid, schizotypal, antisocial, narcissist, or whatever dissociated personality one can think of.
    I will give you half a point on my misjudging the quality of your video ... it's usually a waste of time so I didn't check. I confused him with an actual deluded ahole critic of the best of the left.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Collapse of ecosystems leads to collapse of communities and their support systems.

Of course folks will want to come to the US. We have space, resources, jobs, and more.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvaI9nxSKAw

Climate change is affecting us in the US, but we have many more buffers and alternatives.

And I'm really sad about coffee and chocolate.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (31st May 2021), Chris (4th June 2021), Elen (4th June 2021), Emil El Zapato (31st May 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021)

Thanks
    Collapse of ecosystems leads to collapse of communities and their support systems.

Of course folks will want to come to the US. We have space, resources, jobs, and more.

Climate change is affecting us in the US, but we have many more buffers and alternatives.

And I'm really sad about coffee and chocolate.
    This is way too rational for anyone to pay attention to it.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (31st May 2021), Chris (4th June 2021), Dreamtimer (31st May 2021), Elen (4th June 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Wasn't sure whether to post it here or the Humour thread, but I guess since Brexit lead to a collapse in British exports, the below article is collapse-related, even if it is very, very funny...

BTW, if you haven't yet seen a picture of Tim Martin, Boss and Owner of the Wetherspoons pub chain in England (it's like the McDonald's of British pubs), do yourself a favour and check him out. He is undoubtedly the stupidest-looking person in human history.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1859135.html

Watching Tim Martin squirm about staff shortages in Wetherspoons almost makes Brexit worth it

Who could possibly have known in advance that getting rid of 188,000 people from abroad who did jobs here would leave us with a workforce that was 188,000 short?

Tim Martin, the Wetherspoons man who backed the Brexit campaign, has complained that we need a “more liberal immigration system”, as he can’t get the staff to work in his pubs, because of Brexit. It almost makes the chaos of the past five years worth it.

Next he should go to Romania and cry: “Please come back, I know I treated you bad but I can change. This time it will be different, I promise. I need you, you know I can’t serve a free pint with a chicken tikka masala on Tuesday Curry Night without you. PLEASE.”

Then Nigel Farage will make a speech that starts: “This is the trouble with these bloody immigrants, they go back over there, not doing our jobs.” And he’ll make a film in which he stands at Dover pointing at foreigners on ships, yelling: “There’s another lot, all leaving for Spain and Italy, what a disgrace. The government needs to be much firmer in patrolling our borders, and tell them they’re not allowed to go.”

Because we need them back here, not just to work in bars and on farms, but because it’s an essential part of our British identity to scream at them to piss off. How can we do that if they’ve all pissed off?

Several chains of restaurants and hotels are saying they can’t open because foreign staff have returned home. So we need to find a way they can work for us, while not actually being here. If they could go home between pouring each drink, that would help. Or they could dangle from the ceiling on a trapeze, serving haddock and chips with a half-price pale ale, while technically only being in our air space.

During the referendum campaign, Tim Martin said the people who warned this would happen were “doomsters”. But to be fair to him, who could possibly have known in advance that getting rid of 188,000 people from abroad who did jobs here, would leave us with a workforce that was 188,000 short?

How could they know that if the people who serve the coffees and pick the strawberries all leave, there would be no one to serve the coffees and pick the strawberries? Once again, it’s all very easy with hindsight.

Two-thirds of this year’s daffodil crop has gone rotten because there weren’t enough pickers, with one daffodil trader saying: “We can’t harvest them, we don’t have enough pickers, we’re losing hundreds of thousands of pounds.”

In a way, this proves the success of Brexit, because one of the main cases for Brexit was the madness of EU regulations. And one of their craziest regulations was that when flowers or vegetables were grown, they were picked and used. Now at last we’ve left the EU, so we’re free to make up our own rules, such as growing stuff and then leaving it to be eaten by maggots.

The extra problem for the daffodil industry, apparently, is that our new sensible rules state that farmers are allowed to bring in seasonal workers but only for “edible crops”. So the easy way round this, if we want the flowers picked, is we all have to start eating daffodils.

The problem for daffodils is they haven’t managed to get the same PR as fish. People who had never given a thought to fish have spent much of the past year screaming: “The bloody Austrians are stealing our whitebait.”

So if the daffodil people could get the right campaign behind them, politicians would soon be yelling about the historic glory of our daffodils and the criminal neglect of seeing OUR daffodils unpicked. Then we’d have to send gunboats to attack the French and kidnap them to come and pick our daffodils, as is their historic duty.

What all this proves is how important it is to keep down the numbers of people in our country. Because we’re a tiny island and if too many of them come here, we have to share everything out and we all get poorer. This is why the most productive way to run an economy is to get rid of as many people as possible in the economy. The less people there are, the richer we get.

And that’s why the wealthiest area in the world is the South Pole. And the wealthiest people ever were Captain Scott’s crew, with no one around for thousands of miles, leaving them to shiver in constant luxury. They were even richer after Captain Oates left, the sponging bastard.

Some Brexit campaigners have made the point that there’s no contradiction between campaigning for Brexit and worrying about the current labour shortage, because immigration was never the main reason for Brexit.

But if you strain really hard to remember, you might recall the odd speech by Brexit supporters, that went: “If the EU gets its way, under current trends everyone in Europe will live here by March 2025, and we’ll have to bring them biscuits in bed every morning or we’ll have broken EU law, and then they’ll all be allowed to bring their wildlife to soothe their mental health, so English people will have to have a hippo in their bath and then Turkey will join and then Pakistan and the moon and we’ll be forced to accept their gravity so everyone will have to bounce and it will take ages to walk anywhere.

“They won’t tell you that but I dare to speak the truth. So vote Leave to get rid of immigrants, then at last you can have a pint in Wetherspoons in peace.”

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th June 2021), Dreamtimer (4th June 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th June 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021)

Thanks
    “This is the trouble with these bloody immigrants, they go back over there, not doing our jobs.”

Lol. I see they have the same level of insight across the pond...

"...we’re losing hundreds of thousands of pounds.”

In several ways, I'd say.

"Then we’d have to send gunboats to attack the French and kidnap them to come and pick our daffodils, as is their historic duty."

That's just funny.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th June 2021), Chris (4th June 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th June 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021)

Thanks
    This is about historical Collapse, possible causes, and how it may relate to the present.

(interesting note at the beginning, we live in a world with six degrees of separation, they lived in a world with three)

From about 1500 BC to 1200 BC, the Mediterranean region played host to a complex cosmopolitan and globalized world-system. It may have been this very internationalism that contributed to the apocalyptic disaster that ended the Bronze Age. When the end came, the civilized and international world of the Mediterranean regions came to a dramatic halt in a vast area stretching from Greece and Italy in the west to Egypt, Canaan, and Mesopotamia in the east. Large empires and small kingdoms collapsed rapidly. With their end came the world’s first recorded Dark Ages. It was not until centuries later that a new cultural renaissance emerged in Greece and the other affected areas, setting the stage for the evolution of Western society as we know it today. Professor Eric H. Cline of The George Washington University will explore why the Bronze Age came to an end and whether the collapse of those ancient civilizations might hold some warnings for our current society.

Considered for a Pulitzer Prize for his recent book 1177 BC, Dr. Eric H. Cline is Professor of Classics and Anthropology and the current Director of the Capitol Archaeological Institute at The George Washington University. He is a National Geographic Explorer, a Fulbright scholar, an NEH Public Scholar, and an award-winning teacher and author. He has degrees in archaeology and ancient history from Dartmouth, Yale, and the University of Pennsylvania; in May 2015, he was awarded an honorary doctoral degree (honoris causa) from Muhlenberg College. Dr. Cline is an active field archaeologist with 30 seasons of excavation and survey experience.

Last edited by Dreamtimer, 9th June 2021 at 23:08. Reason: link video

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2021), Chris (11th June 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th June 2021), Wind (12th June 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    The truth about China is sobering.

It may have an impressive economy, on the surface at least, but it is ripe for political and social collapse, like all communist societies that went before it.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th June 2021), Dreamtimer (13th June 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th June 2021), Wind (12th June 2021)