Page 38 of 76 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast

Thread: Collapse

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I don't subscribe to tribalism myself, just pointing out its origins.

In my experience, the poorer, less developed a country is, the more tribal its society becomes. Of course extremely wealthy and developed advanced nations (discounting the USA here for obvious reasons) don't really have this. At least, not among the native population, but you can bet your bottom dollar that immigrant communities are very tribal indeed and this is being exploited by the Left in terms of identity politics. Cue Joe BuyThem and his inane comment that if you're not voting for him "you ain't black", as if no black person could ever identify with conservative values, instead of liberal ones.
    that isn't cultural exploitation, that is reality. Here we go full tilt, I've actually expressed to my daughter (and I am always circumspect about what I say to her) that any Hispanic that votes conservative deserves to be horse whipped (not an uncommon old world disciplinary action). It is selling out one's heritage, plain and simple. Circumspect because her stepdad is a conservative and Hispanic that holds most of the inane beliefs of the right...He's a mechanical engineer but ain't all that bright. For all intents and purposes he is a macho sissy.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Chris (10th June 2020), Wind (10th June 2020)

Thanks
    Instead of reforming police training as a rational response to George Floyd’s death from an aggressive restraint technique, the Minneapolis city council voted to disband the Minneapolis police. Council woman Lisa Bender responded to a citizen’s question what she is supposed to do if she faces a threat in her home and there are no police to call: “Yes, I hear that loud and clear from a lot of my neighbors. And I know — and myself, too, and I know that that comes from a place of privilege.”

This is the part that is being misinterpreted, it is the author that is stupid, Chris. Disbanding doesn't mean abandonment of all common sense, what it calls for is a restructuring from the ground up and smart people on working on what that means. Some really good models exist in the U.S. and that is what they are looking at.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The systemic racism that is current is exactly that. Current. You don't get over something that is continual and affecting your day-to-day life.

Chris, do young folks in your country have to have 'the talk'? If you don't know what that is, it's the talk which black folks have to have with their children when they reach an age to be able to understand. The talk is about how they might be targeted or pulled over by the police and they may get beaten or arrested or worse when they have committed no offense. They are told how to handle themselves and how to try not to further 'provoke' the police so that they can get home alive that day.

This isn't some historical thing that is only in the past. This is present.

Do you have anything parallel to that where you live?

Are their folks in your country who get targeted by the authorities simply because of their appearance? To the point that their parents have to educate them about it before they're grown?

When this sort of thing goes on for generations and you have brothers and uncles and fathers (and female relatives too) who are no longer with you because they were 'driving while black' or doing some other thing 'while black', what do you think the reaction would be?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Chris (10th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2020), Wind (10th June 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    The systemic racism that is current is exactly that. Current. You don't get over something that is continual and affecting your day-to-day life.

Chris, do young folks in your country have to have 'the talk'? If you don't know what that is, it's the talk which black folks have to have with their children when they reach an age to be able to understand. The talk is about how they might be targeted or pulled over by the police and they may get beaten or arrested or worse when they have committed no offense. They are told how to handle themselves and how to try not to further 'provoke' the police so that they can get home alive that day.

This isn't some historical thing that is only in the past. This is present.

Do you have anything parallel to that where you live?

Are their folks in your country who get targeted by the authorities simply because of their appearance? To the point that their parents have to educate them about it before they're grown?

When this sort of thing goes on for generations and you have brothers and uncles and fathers (and female relatives too) who are no longer with you because they were 'driving while black' or doing some other thing 'while black', what do you think the reaction would be?
    Yes, Gypsies, or the Roma as they are also known are often targeted by the police. Though I am not aware of any deaths in police custody during or after an arrest.

Don't get me wrong, I am well aware of the legacy of racism all over the world, but you also have to look at the causes, not just assume that the police is picking on a particular ethnic group for no reason. That is nothwithstanding that the Police in the US in general is far too militarised and aggressive, but that again is not that surprising, given the amount of general violence and the free availability of guns.

Basically, my point is, that it is complicated and you can't just blame everything on racist cops. There is a whole cultural issue here that is very deep-seated and has no easy or apparent solution. The problem is you can't even talk about it in your country in any honest fashion, except to repeat communist slogans affirming your undying loyalty to the cause of wokeness. I can talk about it, because I'm in Hungary and nobody is going to arrest, fire or deplatform me because of my un-PC opinions, but my opinions would be illegal in many so-called "Western" liberal democracies.

The way I see it, there is currently an armed insurrection going on in the United States. The rioters should be arrested, if they resist and attack the cops, then shot dead. The ringleaders of this insurrection should be arrested and put away for a very long time. All those in support of the rioting, including journalists, media personalities, politcians and such should also be arrested and charged. I realise that is never going to happen, so I assume the USA is just going to collapse into lawlessness, ethnic strife and probably civil war. That is the inevitable outcome of failing to protect the rule of law and allowing criminals and terrorists to set the agenda.

Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Instead of reforming police training as a rational response to George Floyd’s death from an aggressive restraint technique, the Minneapolis city council voted to disband the Minneapolis police. Council woman Lisa Bender responded to a citizen’s question what she is supposed to do if she faces a threat in her home and there are no police to call: “Yes, I hear that loud and clear from a lot of my neighbors. And I know — and myself, too, and I know that that comes from a place of privilege.”

This is the part that is being misinterpreted, it is the author that is stupid, Chris. Disbanding doesn't mean abandonment of all common sense, what it calls for is a restructuring from the ground up and smart people on working on what that means. Some really good models exist in the U.S. and that is what they are looking at.
    No, they were very clear that they are going to defund the police department and gradually dismantle it. Instead they will have community outreach officers and such. It is a recipe for disaster, if you ask me.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Dreamtimer (10th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Many people do talk about the real issues. The police do well when they actually come from the communities where they work.

The history of the police in America includes bringing slaves back to slave owners. That legacy is difficult to overcome. It doesn't just magically happen, it takes awareness and effort.

Have you listened to any of the Micheal Wood Jr. episodes of the Joe Rogan podcast? They're here for the listening. He was a Baltimore cop for many years and he talks about how they would go out to target people and kick their asses. It's a good listen, from the horse's mouth.

We still have a lot of work to do and I don't buy the 'You can't talk about...' stuff. We can and we must.

Any time someone tells me I can't talk about something then I talk about it. I don't let others shut me up.

It's what you have to do to bring change.

And, of course, as a white woman who is not poor I'm much less likely to be targeted. In fact, I get the opposite. I've gotten warnings for things others would have been arrested and had their cars impounded for.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Chris (10th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2020), Wind (10th June 2020)

Thanks
    Camouflaged righties and Antifa would make for great television. I wonder who is really the greatest danger.

Kinda like the digitally animated battles between Tigers and Lions. I still refuse to believe that the Tiger lost and my daughter still says, of course it did.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Many people do talk about the real issues. The police do well when they actually come from the communities where they work.

The history of the police in America includes bringing slaves back to slave owners. That legacy is difficult to overcome. It doesn't just magically happen, it takes awareness and effort.

Have you listened to any of the Micheal Wood Jr. episodes of the Joe Rogan podcast? They're here for the listening. He was a Baltimore cop for many years and he talks about how they would go out to target people and kick their asses. It's a good listen, from the horse's mouth.

We still have a lot of work to do and I don't buy the 'You can't talk about...' stuff. We can and we must.

Any time someone tells me I can't talk about something then I talk about it. I don't let others shut me up.

It's what you have to do to bring change.

And, of course, as a white woman who is not poor I'm much less likely to be targeted. In fact, I get the opposite. I've gotten warnings for things others would have been arrested and had their cars impounded for.
    You can talk about it, because you have the "right" opinions. As soon as your opinions deviate from the tiny little postage stamp consensus that Americans are allowed, you are on perilous water.

There are many topics I can't even bring up on this forum, because they would be too controversial, I am actually holding back. They are common sense opinions but in the Land of the Free (and by that, I mean the entire Western World), they are strictly Verboten. I could easily discuss it with my friends in Hungarian or even write a newspaper opinion column about it if I had access to one and it would be completely fine, as long as nobody in the English-speaking world found out about it.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2020), modwiz (10th June 2020), Wind (10th June 2020)

Thanks
    that's interesting....

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 7,284 Posts
    Just listen to this and tell me that there aren't major problems that needs to fixed.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2020)

Thanks
    that was part of Gio's John Oliver video...it was indeed very powerful...

I think she is Black Lives Matter from Houston...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Wind (10th June 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Just listen to this and tell me that there aren't major problems that needs to fixed.

These people, that are burning down cities and destroying other people's property are savages. They do not deserve to live in a first world country where they are given all these wonderful opportunities for advancement and make nothing of it. They blame others for their own failures and think they have the right to steal the prosperity that others have worked hard for. They are destroying America and I'm sorry that so few people see it. This is all because of brainwashing, a typical communist technique, which has now entirely infiltrated the entirety of the media and academia. Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), modwiz (10th June 2020)

Thanks
    you didn't watch it did you, Chris? It doesn't matter, one of the things I always find difficult to accept is when 'only' 65% of the population agrees about injustice. You know what though, that means 65% do agree and that is inspiring. One body more than 50% means that people are making spiritual, moral, psychological, and cognitive breakthroughs.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Chris (11th June 2020), Wind (10th June 2020)

Thanks
    I disagree, Chris. I think society needs a certain amount of anarchy. Too much authoritarianism isn't good and there's plenty of it now.

Once again I want to make it clear that I don't support violence, but I totally understand why it happens. Revolutions are needed.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Chris (11th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2020)

Thanks
    that such an ironic statement, Wind. That is, after all, how America was founded. Something conservatives conveniently ALWAYS forget! It really is dense.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Chris (11th June 2020), Wind (10th June 2020)

Thanks

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Chris (11th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2020)