Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: When Waves Collide

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    He's soooooo cute. I love his fuzzed up tail.

We used to have many feral cats roaming around here. One had a front leg bent at 90 degrees. It must've been hit by a car. It would limp/walk on the bent part and the paw was not really functional, as far as I could tell.

We didn't see it around for long. Not a surprise, really.

It's wonderful that you have been given the chance to give this kitty a life.

Congrats with the Opdivo and I sure hope the pain subsides a bit. Hope the scan shows good things!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th October 2018), Elen (4th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Kathy (4th October 2018), modwiz (5th October 2018), Shadowself (4th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanks, Shadowself, and everyone for the warm welcome! I was unable to get onto any forums for a bit, because (unbeknownst to me) my modem needed to be upgraded, and it was horrible! So as soon as I resolved that, I knew it was time.

So thrilled to hear you are able to continue with the Opdivo.

Yeah, when you suggested Kung Pow, I immediately though of my favorite Hunan restaurant in SF's Chinatown. I think Kung Paw is hilarious! And after seeing his "workout," quite apropo.

BTW palooka is out of town and unable to access the internet at the moment, so I will pass on the latest news. He is due back soon, so I have to clear off of his big vintage desk. Which means cleaning up my office. So I will sign off, and reward myself with visits.

PS. Question: what is the code to tag other members?

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to starry night For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th October 2018), Dreamtimer (5th October 2018), Elen (4th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Kathy (4th October 2018), modwiz (5th October 2018), Shadowself (4th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by starry night View Post
    PS. Question: what is the code to tag other members?
    Um, I'm not sure what you mean by that, starry night. Are you talking of the BBcode tags for colorizing the member names? If so, then you can simply use the syntax as here-below, but without the spaces...

[ m e m b e r ] n a m e [ / m e m b e r ]

This will then colorize the member's name in the slightly-darker-than-Dodger-Blue that we use. Likewise, we have similar tags for colorizing the staff members according to "rank", as well as the bots, members on sabbatical, retired members and deceased members.

The list of tags is as follows — again, you must omit the spaces in the spelling of the tags, but I have to use spaces here to prevent the tags from being interpreted by the forum engine as indeed being tags, because otherwise you wouldn't see the actual syntax anymore:

• [ a d m ] Administrators [ / a d m ]
    • [ s m o d ] Super Moderators [ / s m o d ]
    • [ m o d ] Moderators [ / m o d ]
    • [ m e m b e r ] New, Junior and Senior Members [ / m e m b e r ]
    • [ s a b ] Members on Sabbatical [ / s a b ]
    • [ d e c ] Deceased Members [ / d e c ]
    • [ r e t ] Retired Members [ / r e t ]
    • [ b o t ] Bots [ / b o t ]

Is this what you wanted to know?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (5th October 2018), Elen (5th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Kathy (4th October 2018), modwiz (5th October 2018), Shadowself (4th October 2018), starry night (4th October 2018)

Thanks
    yup, Aragorn, that was exactly what I wanted to know, Thanks!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to starry night For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th October 2018), Dreamtimer (5th October 2018), Elen (5th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Kathy (5th October 2018), Shadowself (4th October 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Starry Night, I am so pleased that you've come to us here on TOT! Please make yourself at home...

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2018), Dreamtimer (5th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Kathy (5th October 2018), modwiz (5th October 2018), Shadowself (5th October 2018), starry night (9th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,290 Times in 688 Posts
    Good morning!

Well I'm hanging in there. Pain levels up and down...but I'm working through it.

Apparently I have a sinus infection. So they are giving me an antibiotic for 7 days...which runs into the time I take my Opdivo. I seriously hope I don't have a reaction to the two together. While they are saying most likely it won't be a problem...the fact is they don't know as there have not been enough examples to compare.

Which brings me to something that I want to discuss with the forum.

FLU SHOTS!

Now....I never do flu shots for the many obvious reasons most of us here do not do them. I actually was working on a piece about flu shots around 2011 and I know the various dangers of it. When they first came out with the flu shots I got one from my work and it made me sick as hell! It was not long after that when all the bad press about flu shots started to come out.

Well guess what? I'm about to embark on the pressure to get a flu shot. For the obvious reason they give flu shots to cancer patients! Reasoning is any kind of illness you get during the cancer treatments can be fatal. Pneumonia for example. If you have lung cancer...pneumonia can indeed kill you and has killed many lung cancer patients. In fact many of the deaths when you have lung cancer is caused from pneumonia!

Now the fact is....I'm not doing any flu shots! I know what flu shots are all about.

I thinking I'm going to get lots of pressure to get one....so any ideas how I successfully tell them to stuff their flu shots without coming right out and saying that just like that?

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2018), Dreamtimer (5th October 2018), Elen (5th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Fred Steeves (5th October 2018), Kathy (5th October 2018), modwiz (5th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Shadowself View Post
    I thinking I'm going to get lots of pressure to get one....so any ideas how I successfully tell them to stuff their flu shots without coming right out and saying that just like that?
    So happens my wife asked me a similar question just recently. She had given a close relative a rather generic answer, to an opinion this relative had been seeking from her, because she knew this relative wasn't going to like the answer.

I thought about it a minute, and said well, if they won't take the generic answer, and demand to REALLY know what you think, then tell them! Of course as tactfully, and politely as possible.

That's what I would do anyway.

By the way Brook, I think it's a good sign that the pain level is fluctuating.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2018), Dreamtimer (5th October 2018), Elen (5th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Kathy (5th October 2018), modwiz (5th October 2018), Shadowself (5th October 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Good morning!

Well I'm hanging in there. Pain levels up and down...but I'm working through it.

Apparently I have a sinus infection. So they are giving me an antibiotic for 7 days...which runs into the time I take my Opdivo. I seriously hope I don't have a reaction to the two together. While they are saying most likely it won't be a problem...the fact is they don't know as there have not been enough examples to compare.

Which brings me to something that I want to discuss with the forum.

FLU SHOTS!

Now....I never do flu shots for the many obvious reasons most of us here do not do them. I actually was working on a piece about flu shots around 2011 and I know the various dangers of it. When they first came out with the flu shots I got one from my work and it made me sick as hell! It was not long after that when all the bad press about flu shots started to come out.

Well guess what? I'm about to embark on the pressure to get a flu shot. For the obvious reason they give flu shots to cancer patients! Reasoning is any kind of illness you get during the cancer treatments can be fatal. Pneumonia for example. If you have lung cancer...pneumonia can indeed kill you and has killed many lung cancer patients. In fact many of the deaths when you have lung cancer is caused from pneumonia!

Now the fact is....I'm not doing any flu shots! I know what flu shots are all about.

Can you tell them you take Vitamin D3 around 2000iu to 5000iu. How would they react to that? This is a known alternative to flu jabs.
    Last edited by Kathy, 5th October 2018 at 16:15.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2018), Dreamtimer (5th October 2018), Elen (5th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), modwiz (5th October 2018), Shadowself (5th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I would just say that I've weighed the pros and cons and have decided not to take the flu shot.

You don't really need to justify it beyond a certain point. Its your choice. You don't feel comfortable taking the shot. Especially after having to be on antibiotics, I wouldn't want it.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2018), Elen (5th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Kathy (6th October 2018), modwiz (5th October 2018), Shadowself (5th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I would just say that I've weighed the pros and cons and have decided not to take the flu shot.

You don't really need to justify it beyond a certain point. Its your choice. You don't feel comfortable taking the shot. Especially after having to be on antibiotics, I wouldn't want it.
    I don't know whether it makes any difference to anyone, but I've never had a flu shot in my life. It's no use anyway, because the flu is a virus and viruses mutate. So you can get your flu shot, go through the phase where your immune system creates antibodies against that particular strain of the flu, and then you catch the flu anyway because the virus has mutated in the meantime.

Plus that you've got a better chance at catching the flu from sitting in the doctor's waiting room for your flu shot than if you stay at home. Hint: you won't find any healthy people in a doctor's waiting room, and especially not when it's getting cold and dreary. If you're going in for your flu shot and there's a bunch of sniffing people with hankies in the waiting room, then you're already too late.

Just make sure you eat lots of vitamins and minerals. Get some vitamin supplements from the pharmacist. Eat fruit. Make sure you drink a lot — I mean water and other beverages, not alcohol.

Just do what you normally do. You don't need that flu shot.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th October 2018), Elen (6th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Kathy (6th October 2018), modwiz (6th October 2018), Shadowself (5th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thank you everyone! All good suggestions. I especially like the "Vitamin D3 around 2000iu to 5000iu" idea as not only did I not know this is a solution to getting one It sounds good!

By the way Brook, I think it's a good sign that the pain level is fluctuating.
    You may be right. Today was one of those fluctuating days. A friend came by and took me to the pharmacy to get the antibiotics for my new sinus infection and decided to give me no excuse not to get that blood test they forgot to give me while sending me out the door to the pharmacy with a prescription for a blood test!

So I got the blood test for which they added another test and while I was there a different kind of blood test due to low liver enzyme levels.

I'm starting to find this oncology office often makes mistakes. Like the one I will add today that threw me for a loop when I read the paperwork they give you every time when they give blood test or exams upon arrival.

Today I stopped to read the one they gave me and lost it! I will tell you now it's a major mistake made by the person inputting the information and was quite incorrect. But for a brief moment of sheer shock I read it and literally lost it!

It says.....Today's visit: D Dimer -CP , SOB, Hospice requested

Here is exactly what I saw before my eyes popped out of my head!

Name:  hospicemistake.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  60.4 KB

I saw that and lost it....I thought they were getting ready to order me to attend Hospice....as in "Hospice requested"!

What it was supposed to say is palliative care requested....as in the personal who ordered the D Dimer test was indeed palliative care.

I mean really?!?! Is someone trying to give me a damned heart attack?!

It's like the day I was in visiting my new grandson and a nurse that worked in oncology downstairs started to tell me the reason she is glad to be gone from oncology was watching the suffering of the cancer patient and the feeling of drowning! WTF!

So anyway I got the test that is supposed to see if I'm ready to have a pulmonary embolism and the now added test for low liver enzyme levels.

Seriously this is becoming a lesson in oncology and what not to do instead of working toward wellness!

On that note I've got to get myself some rest as it been a tiring day. Thanks everyone once again for the suggestions as I was certainly not prepared for what to say and it's coming soon...the ever obnoxiously recommended FLU SHOTS!

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2018), Dreamtimer (7th October 2018), Elen (6th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2018), Fred Steeves (5th October 2018), Kathy (6th October 2018), modwiz (6th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post

I love immunizations...no, not really...I"m neutral...But I'll bet I'm one of the very few of my generation that has never had a smallpox vaccination.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th October 2018), Dreamtimer (7th October 2018), Elen (6th October 2018), Kathy (6th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Thank you everyone! All good suggestions. I especially like the "Vitamin D3 around 2000iu to 5000iu" idea as not only did I not know this is a solution to getting one It sounds good!

You may be right. Today was one of those fluctuating days. A friend came by and took me to the pharmacy to get the antibiotics for my new sinus infection and decided to give me no excuse not to get that blood test they forgot to give me while sending me out the door to the pharmacy with a prescription for a blood test!

So I got the blood test for which they added another test and while I was there a different kind of blood test due to low liver enzyme levels.

I'm starting to find this oncology office often makes mistakes. Like the one I will add today that threw me for a loop when I read the paperwork they give you every time when they give blood test or exams upon arrival.

Today I stopped to read the one they gave me and lost it! I will tell you now it's a major mistake made by the person inputting the information and was quite incorrect. But for a brief moment of sheer shock I read it and literally lost it!

It says.....Today's visit: D Dimer -CP , SOB, Hospice requested

Here is exactly what I saw before my eyes popped out of my head!

Name:  hospicemistake.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  60.4 KB

I saw that and lost it....I thought they were getting ready to order me to attend Hospice....as in "Hospice requested"!

What it was supposed to say is palliative care requested....as in the personal who ordered the D Dimer test was indeed palliative care.

I mean really?!?! Is someone trying to give me a damned heart attack?!

It's like the day I was in visiting my new grandson and a nurse that worked in oncology downstairs started to tell me the reason she is glad to be gone from oncology was watching the suffering of the cancer patient and the feeling of drowning! WTF!

So anyway I got the test that is supposed to see if I'm ready to have a pulmonary embolism and the now added test for low liver enzyme levels.

Seriously this is becoming a lesson in oncology and what not to do instead of working toward wellness!

On that note I've got to get myself some rest as it been a tiring day. Thanks everyone once again for the suggestions as I was certainly not prepared for what to say and it's coming soon...the ever obnoxiously recommended FLU SHOTS!
    medical personnel can be quite indifferent, not to mention conniving at times to make money. I'm speaking from personal experience. I've got a long story regarding my daughter's care immediately after birth...i won't bore you with it...suffice to say I actually went to another floor and asked for some nurse help because no one on our floor gave a flying f*ck...

my pcp wrote on a report that I was suffering from shortness of breath to get me qualified for prescription heartburn medication...At least that is what I figured AFTER my near coronary. My ex, then wife said I was just imagining sh*t. I'm not sure. He gave up his practice to be on the board of a startup level 3 care facility...that now sits empty as they went bankrupt...which is actually pretty hard to believe but that is a whole 'nuther story.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th October 2018), Dreamtimer (7th October 2018), Elen (6th October 2018), Kathy (6th October 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts
    My daughter used to work at a major CA hospital here in London. She told me that hospices are used quite often for palliative care, for instance for SOB, to input oxygen into the body intraveneously, not always for transition.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th October 2018), Dreamtimer (7th October 2018), Elen (6th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th October 2018), modwiz (6th October 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Kathy View Post
    My daughter used to work at a major CA hospital here in London. She told me that hospices are used quite often for palliative care, for instance for SOB, to input oxygen into the body intraveneously, not always for transition.
    Good Morning,

That's interesting...however I think in this case it was just a clerical error. When I showed it to the nurse and asked what that meant she was sort of shocked as well and had to check on it.

I say good morning like I just woke up but the truth is if I slept 10 minutes that might be an exaggeration.

You know I read that coffee is good for shortness of breath. So because I spent the whole night coughing from whatever this is I've got, I decided to make some coffee to see if it's true.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319175.php

Name:  coffeebreathing.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  79.6 KB

I sincerely hope these antibiotics kick in pretty soon because this is getting annoying. Of course just as I start to fall off...the kitten decides he wants to play. So up I am and down goes the coffee.

ps; The coffee did kinda help! Who knew!!

Name:  coffeeland.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  53.0 KB
    Last edited by Shadowself, 6th October 2018 at 13:41.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th October 2018), Dreamtimer (7th October 2018), Elen (6th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th October 2018), Kathy (6th October 2018), Kitsune (6th October 2018)