Thread: ADHD Drugs Aren't Doing What You Think, Scientists Warn 'Smart Pill' Users

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts

ADHD Drugs Aren't Doing What You Think, Scientists Warn 'Smart Pill' Users

Source: Inverse

"Young people are using this drug as a performance-enhancing agent."

About an hour before any organic chemistry final, there’s usually a student desperate enough to pop some Adderall, hoping that the “smart pill” they bought on the college black market might help them finally understand what they’re doing. As they sit there, waiting for the attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder medication to take effect, that student probably thinks they’re about to ride a high to test victory. But research published Thursday in Pharmacy suggests that line of thinking is a bit off.

The study authors Lisa Weyandt, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at the University of Rhode Island, and Tara White, Ph.D., an assistant professor of Behavioral and Social Sciences at Brown University, started out investigating the effects of ADHD medications in students that actually have a diagnosable attention deficit disorder. They showed that in these students, there is decreased activity in the areas of the brain controlling “executive functions,” which can make it hard for them to stay organized or focus.

But because both authors work with college students, they soon became more interested in the misuse of Adderall. In students whose brains aren’t affected by ADHD, does Adderall act as a supercharger? Does it make those areas fly into overdrive and unlock otherwise untapped intellectual ability, as all pill-popping students hope?

“Adderall is not a smart pill,” Weyandt tells Inverse. “It’s not making their cognition better. It is enabling them to stay awake and focus, but it’s not making their cognitive skills superior in any way.”

Weyant and White’s double-blind, placebo-controlled study on 13 college students was a small sample, they admit, but their experiment had a rigorous study design. Neither the students nor the researchers knew who was getting Adderall and who was getting placebo sugar pill.

The students completed six cognitive tests and were assessed for the physiological effects of the drug, like blood pressure and heart rate. These metrics helped them determine whether the aspects of Adderall that get you high are related to the ones that, theoretically, make you smart. “Young people are using this drug as a performance-enhancing agent. So we actually tested their hypothesis,” White tells Inverse. “It’s easy to assume that because you feel a drug effect, but that doesn’t actually tell you what’s happening with cognition.”

The paper showed that while Adderall definitely got students high, it didn't necessarily improve cognitive ability.

The six tests evaluated different aspects of cognition, like working memory, reading ability and reaction time. While students on Adderall did have make fewer errors on a reaction time test, it actually worsened working memory, as shown by a decline in performance on a task where they had to repeat sequences of numbers. In short, Adderall improved focus and attention — but it didn’t actually make anyone smarter.

Adderall decreased students' performance on a working memory task compared to a placebo.

“Adderall improved attention compared to the placebo, but that’s because it’s a central nervous system stimulant,” Weyandt explains, “If you drink caffeine, doesn’t that make it easier for you to focus? But it’s not going to help you write extreme prose,” she says.

Weyandt and White have a theory that elegantly explains why Adderall isn’t the smart pill some make it out to be. Adderall helps to improve cognitive function the same way that glasses might improve eyesight. But glasses only help you if you have a vision impairment in the first place. “If you have a friend whose vision is fine and they put on glasses, it doesn’t improve their vision,” she explains. “It’s not going to suddenly give them super vision.”

Adderall, they posit, acts the same way. For people diagnosed with ADHD, it can help pull things into focus, but for everyone else, it’s not doing any favors, short of a quick shot of energy to the central nervous system. And let’s be real — we already have coffee for that.

Source: Inverse
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (21st July 2018), Elen (22nd July 2018), Kathy (21st July 2018), palooka's revenge (21st July 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Yes, anything to do with pharmaceuticals is suspect and should be avoided.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2018), Dreamtimer (21st July 2018), Elen (22nd July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,290 Times in 688 Posts
    Adderall is nothing more than a combination of amphetamine salts. Can cause rapid or irregular heartbeat, delirium, panic, psychosis, and heart failure, along with serious addiction. For the ACTUAL ADHD (not the lazy parent trap) it has an equal and opposite effect that amphetamine would have on the normal person. Or so they say...

Better known street name and versions of the same : Speed and now Methamphetamine.

Hell yes it's dangerous!

Hollywood version: Baby Blue
    Last edited by Shadowself, 21st July 2018 at 14:21.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2018), Chris (21st July 2018), Dreamtimer (21st July 2018), Elen (22nd July 2018), Kathy (21st July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,290 Times in 688 Posts
    Adding some related facts to the OP:

Back in the stone age (mid 70's) when I was in college it was very common for students to take diet pills (amphetamine) for the same reasons...the fatigue of a full curriculum can and does take its toll. I know this as a widowed single mother who's studies could indeed cause fatigue! So I tried it as a method of relief as did many of the students among me. But the thing that stopped me was I've never had a proclivity to being overweight and this resulted in becoming malnourished and appearing anorexic. Not a good look!

Amphetamines have a long history of use before they were included in diet pills. During World War II, amphetamines were given to soldiers and pilots to keep them alert and fight off fatigue.

Is it any wonder soldiers when they completed their tour of duty came back and had addiction problems as well as enhanced PTSD?

From OP:

Adderall, they posit, acts the same way. For people diagnosed with ADHD, it can help pull things into focus, but for everyone else, it’s not doing any favors, short of a quick shot of energy to the central nervous system. And let’s be real — we already have coffee for that.
    I stuck to caffeine as my method of relieving fatigue as suggested in OP article.

Last edited by Shadowself, 21st July 2018 at 16:33.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2018), Chris (21st July 2018), Dreamtimer (21st July 2018), Elen (22nd July 2018), Kathy (21st July 2018)

Thanks
    Your cartoons always make me smile, Brook.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (21st July 2018), Dreamtimer (21st July 2018), Elen (22nd July 2018), Kathy (21st July 2018), Shadowself (21st July 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I know a fellow who used a pressure brewing system for coffee. I haven't done it yet, but it sounds like it makes great coffee.

I was just reading about Moka Pots and how you can brew tea in them as well.

When I was in college the go to stimulant was cocaine. It seemed like everyone was snorting.

When I graduated and met my husband he didn't like it. He said it ruined good parties because everyone would disappear and go into a back room to snort and be all VIP because it was so expensive.

They were anti-social while still blabbing non-stop. Turns out it's mostly monologues when people are on coke.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 21st July 2018 at 21:41.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd July 2018), Elen (22nd July 2018), Kathy (22nd July 2018), Shadowself (22nd July 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    It reminds me of this meme...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd July 2018), Dreamtimer (22nd July 2018), Kathy (22nd July 2018), Shadowself (22nd July 2018)

Thanks

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (22nd July 2018), Elen (22nd July 2018), Shadowself (22nd July 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Here's another useful product( ):

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd July 2018), Elen (23rd July 2018), Kathy (22nd July 2018), Shadowself (22nd July 2018)