Thread: Is there a reason for humans to drink cow�s milk?

Thanks
    Thanked 48,690 Times in 10,221 Posts

Is there a reason for humans to drink cow�s milk?

Is there a reason for humans to drink cow’s milk?

We’re also the only ones with thumbs, but humans are the only mammalian species on the planet that both drinks the milk of another species and continues to drink milk after childhood. There’s little dispute that milk is helpful in supporting the growth and development of children, but is there any reason for adults to drink milk?

This issue was undertaken recently by Ari LeVaux over at AlterNet, both looking at why we drink milk as adults and the consequences the current economy has had for the milk industry.

Why milk might not be such a good idea
    The Journal of the American Dietetic Association has published a report saying that as many as 75 percent of the world’s population loses the ability to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk, after infancy.Research from Harvard suggests that the high level of estrogen in milk — particularly when pregnant cows are milked, which is pretty common — is correlated to an increased risk of hormone-related cancers such as ovarian, prostate, testicular and breast cancer.
    But it says right there on the food pyramid that we’re supposed to get three servings of dairy a day, doesn’t it? Yes, but of course the dietary guidelines are heavily influenced by industry, and the dairy industry has a pretty big interest in keeping people consuming milk and other dairy products for as long as possible.

The dairy bust
    The other problem with the dairy industry these days is that prices paid to farmers have dropped considerably while prices at the grocery store are still high. That means farmers are losing money on their milk, and many have dropped out of the business, selling their animals to slaughterhouses to help reduce the supply of milk.High supply and low demand mean farmers are making a lot less than they used to, and huge farms with 1,500 to 7,000 cows each dominate the supply even for organic milk. Small farmers contend that these big business organic dairies aren’t in fact organic at all, but one company found guilty of violating organic rules received no fines in punishment and did not have its organic certification revoked.What’s more, cows contribute a lot of greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere, so there’s an argument to be made that people who care about the planet should consume less dairy (along with less meat) to cut their contribution to the world’s emissions.

What you can do
    For all these reasons, the article ends up by suggesting that people make dairy products a much more occasional food choice rather than eating cheese or drinking milk more than once a day.And as with other products, when it’s possible to buy truly organic or locally produced dairy products, that’s probably a better choice than large-scale organic or conventionally produced options. The higher cost may automatically cause you to begin thinking about dairy as a special occasion food.

http://calorielab.com/news/2009/07/2...reenhouse-gas/
    No one person can ever change the truth, but the truth, once learned, can and will change the person

You must be the change you wish to see in the world when you are through changing, you are through

theonetruth forum status theonetruth facebook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The One For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), Calabash (31st October 2013), Cearna (1st November 2013), Frances (1st November 2013), Spiral (1st November 2013), Tribe (31st October 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 3,015 Posts
    I am dairy free , with the very rare occasion of cheese , I had to stop buying cheese as I became a addict !! Scince I have been dairy free I have been feeling so much better , I have more energy and don't get congested . I drink almound milk instead if cows milk and I love it. . It's about making the choice of health over illness for me and being dairy free works x

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), Cearna (1st November 2013), Frances (1st November 2013), Spiral (1st November 2013), The One (31st October 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Because I like it! . . . every morning I put 2 heaping spoonfuls of instant coffee into a cup of milk - heat it up and that's my morning drink. Yummy. That's basically the only milk I drink, other than in baking, but I'm not about to give it up - and sometimes I have 2 mugs full of this drink.

I'm 74 yrs old, no health problems. Now I'm not saying the above isn't true; but then, is there any reason to eat cows?!?!? We could go on and on.

One thing I know for sure, our bodies are not one size fits all because our minds(beliefs), lifestyles, etc., are not all the same. We each need to get in touch with our own bodies and tune into what's right for us.

I've read once that "What comes out of your mouth is more important than what goes into your mouth."

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), Cearna (1st November 2013), Frances (1st November 2013), Spiral (1st November 2013), The One (1st November 2013), Tonz (1st November 2013), Tribe (1st November 2013)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,600 Times in 1,366 Posts
    I came from a generation of children who had free milk at school every morning. It was full fat with the cream visible at the top.
    Frozen in the winter, you had to smash it with your straw.
    Luke warm in summer, not always so good, but we drank it.
    I still like it now, but as the children have grown up and left, I buy semi skimmed milk.
    I still have a glass but it's milk with the goodness taken out. So I am told.
    I come from a generation of big families cows milk was part of our nutrition. We were educated to accept that it is good for you.
    At the moment I have no reason to think it is not.
    Frances.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), BabaRa (2nd November 2013), Cearna (1st November 2013), Spiral (1st November 2013), The One (1st November 2013), Tonz (1st November 2013), Tribe (1st November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    I blame my Grandmothers untimely death at the tender age of 97 on her diet.

She lived on dairy, white bread, red meat & whiskey.

You have been warned !

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), BabaRa (2nd November 2013), Cearna (1st November 2013), Frances (1st November 2013), Sooz (1st November 2013), The One (1st November 2013), Tribe (1st November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Everyone's chemical balance is different , not one size fits all xx

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), BabaRa (2nd November 2013), Cearna (1st November 2013), Frances (1st November 2013), Spiral (1st November 2013), The One (2nd November 2013)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Spiral View Post
    I blame my Grandmothers untimely death at the tender age of 97 on her diet.

She lived on dairy, white bread, red meat & whiskey.

You have been warned !
    Ha ha, I agree Spiral. My Mum died in her 90's, grew up during the depression - therefore they grew all their own vegetables, had their own chooks, eggs (and cooked the chooks).

But my Mum never took a pill in her life. If she had a headache, she would rather have a headache than a pill. She never drank and never smoked.

My Grandmother on the other hand liked her whiskey and a smoke, never took drugs for pain, but absolutely swore on the benefits of kelp powder (iodine), back in the 50's and 60's. She lived till 95.

Ditto for a client of mine who recently died at 96. She loved her nightly few glasses of champagne, her eggs, full cream milk, meat with the fat on. She used to tell her Doctor (all of 40 years younger than herself) to get knotted....she told him she would continue to eat and drink as she always did.

I think the elders who have passed at a ripe old age, benefited from those organic veggies growing in the backyard when they were growing up. Not taking medicine and taking natural remedies.

That is the key I think.

And a glass of barley or grapes.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), BabaRa (2nd November 2013), Cearna (1st November 2013), Frances (1st November 2013), Spiral (1st November 2013), The One (2nd November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    My Gran took loads of pills, she took barbiturates (washed down with whiskey) from when they came out till she died, which is probably why she died 10 years younger than her mother, mind you she did have 10 children !

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), BabaRa (2nd November 2013), Frances (1st November 2013), Sooz (1st November 2013), The One (2nd November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    So, now that we have clarified that "What you eat" doesn't necessarily effect one's health - as per medical guide lines, can we go to next step.

So what does effect our health?

My brother and I (same parents) eat completely differently. I tend towards organic and eat a lot of fruits and veggies - take no pharma's and rarely go to doctor.

My brother rarely eats a veggie or a fruit, lives on meat and carbs (pastas mostly), eats a pint of ice cream most nights before bed, then takes 2 sleeping pills which he washes down with a fair amount of blackberry brandy. He takes lots of pharma's for reasons I'm not clear on except his doctors, which he goes to regularly for checkups, tells him he needs.

We are both healthy. You could say it's genetic, but. . . mom lived to 91, dad passed at 68 (my brother and I are now 74 & 81). Again, you could say we both got mom's genes, but . . . . I'll go back to it's what one thinks, believes and acts. My bro and I both tend towards happy thoughts, laugh a lot and stay out of judgment as much as possible - for him that's a natural place, for me,I had to learn that judgment of others only hurts me.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), Spiral (2nd November 2013), The One (2nd November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BabaRa View Post
    So, now that we have clarified that "What you eat" doesn't necessarily effect one's health - as per medical guide lines, can we go to next step.

So what does effect our health?

My brother and I (same parents) eat completely differently. I tend towards organic and eat a lot of fruits and veggies - take no pharma's and rarely go to doctor.

My brother rarely eats a veggie or a fruit, lives on meat and carbs (pastas mostly), eats a pint of ice cream most nights before bed, then takes 2 sleeping pills which he washes down with a fair amount of blackberry brandy. He takes lots of pharma's for reasons I'm not clear on except his doctors, which he goes to regularly for checkups, tells him he needs.

We are both healthy. You could say it's genetic, but. . . mom lived to 91, dad passed at 68 (my brother and I are now 74 & 81). Again, you could say we both got mom's genes, but . . . . I'll go back to it's what one thinks, believes and acts. My bro and I both tend towards happy thoughts, laugh a lot and stay out of judgment as much as possible - for him that's a natural place, for me,I had to learn that judgment of others only hurts me.
    This is what I have come to believe, I now turn the sound off on the TV every time they are running a health scare, I tell my wife "they are telling everyone to get cancer" or whatever it happens to be, she now believes me as there is a definite cycle to the stories they run on the "news"

If people truly believe the food they are eating is bad for them then it will be.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Altaira (2nd November 2013), BabaRa (2nd November 2013), The One (2nd November 2013)