Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NASA Finds Ancient Organic Material, Mysterious Methane on Mars

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    To the moon, Alice. To the moon.

Maybe there was too much methane in the room?

I'm confused by the selfie picture I saw. There was no pole or anything sticking out to hold a camera. How did it take a selfie? The one in this post also shows nothing connecting a camera to it. What am I missing?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2018), Aragorn (9th June 2018), Elen (9th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by enjoy being View Post
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Ahem, we seem to have come quite a long way from talking about predatory worms, which, if any of you remember, is what this thread was originally about...

Strong in this one, the attention deficit disorder is.

Yabbut, where eez da video, maan? You been smokin' too much ganja, ayah?

Quoting from the Free Dictionary...

HUMOR, n.

1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
    2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
    3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd: "Man's sense of humor seems to be in inverse proportion to the gravity of his profession" (Mary Roberts Rinehart).

- continue reading here -

Quoting from Wikipedia...

Humour (British English) or humor (American English; see spelling differences) is the tendency of experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. The term derives from the humoral medicine of the ancient Greeks, which taught that the balance of fluids in the human body, known as humours (Latin: humor, "body fluid"), controlled human health and emotion.

People of all ages and cultures respond to humour. Most people are able to experience humour—be amused, smile or laugh at something funny—and thus are considered to have a sense of humour. The hypothetical person lacking a sense of humour would likely find the behaviour inducing it to be inexplicable, strange, or even irrational. Though ultimately decided by personal taste, the extent to which a person finds something humorous depends on a host of variables, including geographical location, culture, maturity, level of education, intelligence and context. For example, young children may favour slapstick such as Punch and Judy puppet shows or the Tom and Jerry cartoons, whose physical nature makes it accessible to them. By contrast, more sophisticated forms of humour such as satire require an understanding of its social meaning and context, and thus tend to appeal to a more mature audience.

- continue reading here -

I'll be walking out of this thread now, because you probably have a compelling need to have the last word, and so I'll give you that. This was supposed to be a thread about an important NASA discovery, geez.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2018), Dreamtimer (10th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    To the moon, Alice. To the moon.

Maybe there was too much methane in the room?

I'm confused by the selfie picture I saw. There was no pole or anything sticking out to hold a camera. How did it take a selfie? The one in this post also shows nothing connecting a camera to it. What am I missing?
    I noticed that too, but I presume it's a kind of wireless camera on a stand. But what surprised me even more — I didn't know this — is that the Curiosity Rover is actually the size of a car. I thought it was much smaller, like a kind of WALL·E.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2018), Dreamtimer (10th June 2018), Elen (9th June 2018), Emil El Zapato (9th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Forwhatever It's Worth:

I thought the ADHD reference was aimed at me...budda budda budda (that's the sound my car makes when I hit the brakes on the freeway)

there are some miscommunications that are bound to happen...sociologists call it 'bypassing'...when people in discussion think they are all on the same page but are actually looking at two different books.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2018), Aragorn (9th June 2018), Dreamtimer (10th June 2018), Elen (9th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018), Wind (20th June 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Forwhatever It's Worth:

I thought the ADHD reference was aimed at me...budda budda budda (that's the sound my car makes when I hit the brakes on the freeway)

there are some miscommunications that are bound to happen...sociologists call it 'bypassing'...when people in discussion think they are all on the same page but are actually looking at two different books.
    There are several of our members who are afflicted with ADHD — some of them by their own admission. My reference to ADHD was therefore only an attempt at humor by generalizing the prevalence of ADHD among our members. Most of the time, people tend to understand my kind of humor, so I don't think I'm being too eccentric in that regard.

Nevertheless, the ADHD reference and the ganja reference are only red herrings. There's something else going on under the hood here, and I'm not talking of the hood on my car.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2018), Dreamtimer (10th June 2018), Emil El Zapato (9th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018), Wind (20th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    There are several of our members who are afflicted with ADHD — some of them by their own admission. My reference to ADHD was therefore only an attempt at humor by generalizing the prevalence of ADHD among our members. Most of the time, people tend to understand my kind of humor, so I don't think I'm being too eccentric in that regard.

Nevertheless, the ADHD reference and the ganja reference are only red herrings. There's something else going on under the hood here, and I'm not talking of the hood on my car.
    yeah, I know...personalities...they are what they are but that's ok...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2018), Aragorn (9th June 2018), Dreamtimer (10th June 2018), Elen (9th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Wow, I posted the above now well over twelve hours ago. Saying that the response has been underwhelming would be a ludicrous understatement, as so far only three people have actually even looked at this thread, and that includes yours truly.

One would expect such groundbreaking news to garner at least a little more attention from a so-called alternative community where people claim to be interested in the existence of extraterrestrial life. Not that this discovery confirms the existence of life on other worlds, but it certainly exponentially increases the chances that there would actually still be life on Mars today, in spite of the fact that it's a barren wasteland that has lost its magnetosphere.

Considering that this is coming straight from NASA itself, it's also a significant step in the right direction after years of ridiculing anyone who even dared suggest that Earth is not the only celestial body where life as it is known here on Earth could have developed.
    Feel what your saying Aragorn, for myself yawn, because I see a rover tracking over a graveyard, likely you have the dust of a few meatsuits blowing in the Mars wind, like many.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2018), Dreamtimer (10th June 2018), Elen (10th June 2018), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Nuclear graveyard, perhaps?

I recently learned listening to Robert Schoch that the sheets of sand turned to glass can also be cause by large solar emissions. Larger than the Carrington event. So, not just nuclear explosions.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2018), Elen (11th June 2018), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Nuclear graveyard, perhaps?

I recently learned listening to Robert Schoch that the sheets of sand turned to glass can also be cause by large solar emissions. Larger than the Carrington event. So, not just nuclear explosions.
    I'm not an actual astronomer, so take the following with a grain of salt.

On the one hand I believe that there is a possibility that this is true, due to the fact that Mars has lost its magnetosphere — which concretely means that the iron at the core of Mars has stopped spinning — and thus, that it doesn't have any protection whatsoever anymore against hazardous cosmic radiation. But then the question remains how long ago Mars lost its magnetosphere, and how old those glass sheets are.

On the other hand, Mars is quite a bit farther away from the sun than Earth. Now, coronal mass ejections from our own sun can travel a long way through space because they're not inhibited by friction — there is however the influence of the gravitational fields of any celestial bodies positioned along its trajectory — and of course, so can electromagnetic waves. But at the same time, given the distance between the sun and Mars, this coronal matter and the radiation bursts — at least, those originating from the sun — will already long have become weakened by the time they hit Mars.

So I'm just throwing these thoughts out there. We do have to be careful with the information floating about in this so-called alternative community, because a great number of people within this community don't even have a proper understanding of the principles of physics, and there's a lot of misinformation floating about. Like I said, I'm not an actual astronomer, but I do come from a physics background — among many other things.

Still, I do not exclude that there may indeed have been life on Mars at some point in time. I'm not sure whether that life would have been comparable to what we have here on Earth today, but then again, Earth's life has gone through quite an evolution of its own. Mankind as we know it has only existed for, well, a couple of million years at best, and according to the general scientific consensus, far less even. But the dinosaurs ruled the Earth for roughly 180 million years. That is huge. And they too have been through an enormous evolution.

Could there have been intelligent life on Mars? Well, the little boy in me hopes so. The adult in me says that it's possible. But even if there hasn't been any intelligent life on Mars while there still was "life altogether", then that's still exciting, because — as I wrote earlier — it would have serious (and positive) implications in so many different areas of our own existence, and it would also be an incredible proof of the resilience of life, given the state of Mars today, and the fact that the surface is now perpetually being bombarded with lethal doses of ionizing radiation, not just from the sun but also from all other stars.

Just my thoughts.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th June 2018), Elen (11th June 2018), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    I just noticed that enjoy being has left the building, I thought that it was rather quiet here and now I know why. What a shame.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th June 2018), Dreamtimer (20th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Kathy (22nd June 2018), modwiz (20th June 2018)