Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 293637383940414249 ... LastLast

Thread: Q !!!!!!! Park Here

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Okay appears a point Q wise has been reached as Qetc data overlaps other data, spills here and there as such, mainstream next activation somehow imo.

Funny to watch Papa site atm as this is the micro way of seeing it.
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    ...to the topTop

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

modwiz (21st July 2019)

Thanks
    Exciting as vid lets us know ( 5.30 minite mark ) that racism has decreased since Trump came into power.

ps also this is very evident amongst both parties, less racism.
    ...to the topTop

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

modwiz (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    Exciting as vid lets us know ( 5.30 minite mark ) that racism has decreased since Trump came into power.

ps also this is very evident amongst both parties, less racism.
    I am sorry to be so blunt, Vern, but it is incredibly naive to believe in the veracity of any such claims when they're coming from an ostensibly pro-Trump YouTube channel. Propagandists will always skew whatever data to their advantage.

The bottom line is that the video does not "let you know that racism has decreased since Trump came into power". The video wants you to believe that this would be the case. And that's an entirely different thing.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =
    ...to the topTop

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2019), Dreamtimer (22nd July 2019), Elen (22nd July 2019), Wind (22nd July 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I am sorry to be so blunt, Vern, but it is incredibly naive to believe in the veracity of any such claims when they're coming from an ostensibly pro-Trump YouTube channel. Propagandists will always skew whatever data to their advantage.

The bottom line is that the video does not "let you know that racism has decreased since Trump came into power". The video wants you to believe that this would be the case. And that's an entirely different thing.
    The man in the video is "preaching to his own choir." I wonder how many Hispanic people would agree with him, or anybody else on the side-line for that matter.
    ...to the topTop

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2019), Aragorn (22nd July 2019), Dreamtimer (22nd July 2019), Wind (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    Felt to have quick look, this was enough for me >

The Rise of Trump, the Fall of Prejudice? Tracking White Americans' Racial Attitudes 2008-2018 via a Panel Survey

20 Pages Posted: 26 May 2019
    Daniel J. Hopkins
    University of Pennsylvania
    Samantha Washington
    University of Pennsylvania, Students
    Date Written: April 17, 2019
    Abstract
    In his campaign and first few years in office, Donald Trump consistently defied contemporary norms by using explicit, negative rhetoric targeting ethnic/racial minorities. Did this rhetoric lead white Americans to express more prejudiced views of African Americans or Hispanics, whether through the normalization of prejudice or other mechanisms? We assess that question using a 13-wave panel conducted with a population-based sample of Americans between 2008 and 2018. We find that via most measures, white Americans' expressed anti-Black and anti-Hispanic prejudice declined after the 2016 campaign and election, and we can rule out even small increases in the expression of prejudice. These results suggest the limits of racially charged rhetoric's capacity to heighten prejudice among white Americans overall. They also indicate that prejudice can behave like an issue attitude: rather than being a fixed predisposition, prejudice can respond thermostatically to changing presidential rhetoric and policy positions.

Keywords: racial prejudice, Donald Trump, public opinion, panel data, thermostatic response
    JEL Classification: J7, Z18, H40
    Suggested Citation:
    Hopkins, Daniel J. and Washington, Samantha, The Rise of Trump, the Fall of Prejudice? Tracking White Americans' Racial Attitudes 2008-2018 via a Panel Survey (April 17, 2019). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3378076 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3378076

Download This Paper
    Open PDF in Browser

27 References
    Avidit Acharya, Matthew Blackwell, Maya Sen

Deep roots
    Posted: 2018
    Crossref
    Scott Blinder, Robert Ford, Elisabeth Ivarsflaten
    The better angels of our nature
    American Journal of Political Science, volume 57, issue 4, p. 841 - 857
    Posted: 2013
    David Broockman, Joshua Kalla
    Durably reducing transphobia
    Science, volume 352, issue 6282, p. 220 - 224
    Posted: 2016
    Andrew Engelhardt

Racial Attitudes through a Partisan Lens
    Po
    ...to the topTop

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Chester (22nd July 2019), Dreamtimer (22nd July 2019), Elen (23rd July 2019), modwiz (22nd July 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Trump is bringing it out rather than creating more. So the complaining about PC can now become the freedom to just say the things they want.

The racism is now on the bleeding heart sleeve rather than being coded.

The real thing to watch is the action/reaction by the folks who aren't down with it.

Lots and lots of folks are being energized who were under the delusion that racism was gone after the election of Barack Obama. People really wanted to believe it was gone.

They were very naive.

I agree that Trump hasn't produced more.

He's clearly fanning flames and fueling fires which were already smoldering.
    ...to the topTop

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2019), Aragorn (22nd July 2019), Bob (22nd July 2019), Elen (23rd July 2019), Fred Steeves (22nd July 2019), Wind (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Trump is bringing it out rather than creating more. So the complaining about PC can now become the freedom to just say the things they want.

The racism is now on the bleeding heart sleeve rather than being coded.

The real thing to watch is the action/reaction by the folks who aren't down with it.

Lots and lots of folks are being energized who were under the delusion that racism was gone after the election of Barack Obama. People really wanted to believe it was gone.

They were very naive.

I agree that Trump hasn't produced more.

He's clearly fanning flames and fueling fires which were already smoldering.
    Shock of all shockers. I'm going to have to disagree here, but also agree on certain things.

First off, I disagree that Trump is not creating more, I think he indeed is, but the question would be creating more of what?

Now the racism question? Of course there's always been a simmering racism from white America, I see it especially from my perch here in the Tennessee portion of America's Bible Belt where even the Klan still hangs on by it's finger tips, but overall I've seen a dramatic DECREASE in white on black racism since I was a kid when referring to someone as a nigger was still very much acceptable. Hell, I myself used that horrific term back then in the mid 70's because I didn't know any better...

But anyway, yes absolutely Trump is drawing out that (IMO) ever shrinking percentage of Americans with racist tendencies, but I do not feel it is aimed as such, in particular. I think this is shaping more into drawing out, AND creating, the age old "it's THESE PEOPLE that are the problem, and if it wasn't for THEM, we would be just FINE!". "THESE PEOPLE", can morph just as easily into being a blond haired blue eyed gay person, democrats, or even just ANYONE who dares not go along with Making America Great Again.

Those brainwashed idiots we see at rallies now cheering Trump on in this witch hunt against "The Squad"? I seriously don't think all that many of them are really what would be normally considered racist. I think they are mostly good people deep down, but they are simply being swept up in Qanon fashion into becoming part of a growing angry lynch mob to get the outsiders, to get those "others" that are dangerous to us.

Racism? You bet, but I just don't see that as being the whole enchilada by any means. I only wish it were as simple as that. I don't scare easily, but I am starting to become a bit concerned where this might lead.
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 22nd July 2019 at 21:30.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates
    ...to the topTop

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd July 2019), Aragorn (22nd July 2019), Dreamtimer (24th July 2019), Elen (23rd July 2019), Wind (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    ...to the topTop

Senior Member United States Chester's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,591 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Trump is responsible for Trump's words and deeds. My opinion is that Trump is aware that his words throw additional fuel on the matter under the header "racism." For me, that is regrettable but understandable in today's dysfunctional political dynamic.

But what's far more regrettable to me is the emotional vulnerability of so, so many individualized human beings within the vast sea of humanity who, due to a lack of exercise of their own personal responsibility in forming, molding themselves to be the kind of human being of integrity they actually may want to be, have the goal to be... coupled with their lack of effort to do the inner work so they could emerge, day by day, more and more, to be that "good" (ie. "good for us all, others and themselves") human being, instead allow their reactive self to take charge which, as a result, ends up as virtue signaling, finger pointing, and worse - creating... (making up, outright lying... and constantly) ...(again) creating in the minds of other emotionally vulnerable human beings all sorts of falsehoods about those who actually do take personal responsibility and do get off their butts to do things with their lives that actually produces results truly good for others regardless of any of their "externals" (such as skin color, religion or lack thereof, nationality, gender, gender proclivity, sexual preference... and the actual really important one... culture from which one emerges).

First, the word "racism" as it is thrown around today has actually lost almost 100% of its strength due to massive misapplication.

Second, as most of us "aware" actually know, those who have lost all ability to respond with a valid counter-response have one last tactic to fall upon - that which is known as "name calling" and "labeling" and "(false) accusation" which, in almost all cases, and in actuality, far more applies to the one's pointing the fingers than their intended targets.

Those who see this and understand this and who have taken personal responsibility not to allow themselves to be brought down into the winner-less pit of debate can actually live a rewarding life that gives to the world far more than it takes away from the world. But what do I know? (read, if you need to again, my signature statement).
    Last edited by Chester, 23rd July 2019 at 14:52.
    All the above is all and only my opinion. It may contain some sharing of components of my current operating strategy and some foundational components of my current world view - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

It's just a ride

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGD...vgBsCHmlC13jOg

https://www.facebook.com/samhunter57

http://merlynagain.blogspot.com/
    ...to the topTop

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd July 2019), Aragorn (23rd July 2019), Dreamtimer (24th July 2019), Elen (23rd July 2019), modwiz (23rd July 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    I for one, really like your mindset Sammy. You give space to people around you and it's much appreciated. Thanks.
    ...to the topTop

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd July 2019), Aragorn (23rd July 2019), Bob (23rd July 2019), Chester (23rd July 2019), Dreamtimer (24th July 2019), modwiz (23rd July 2019)

Thanks
    ...to the topTop

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

modwiz (24th July 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I'm more than a bit concerned about where this might lead.
    ...to the topTop

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th July 2019), Aragorn (24th July 2019), Elen (24th July 2019)