Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Samurai Sword

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Then you had better start saving now, Brother, because a genuine nihonto — made in Japan, from real tamahagane, in at least two different types of steel, folded and differentially hardened — will set you back a fat six-figure in Imperial Credits, and you would have great difficulty acquiring one. The Japanese government considers them part of Japan's cultural heritage and makes it very difficult for non-Japanese citizens to acquire one, let alone to have one shipped to anywhere outside of Japan. Interesting detail: Japanese law does not treat them as weapons but as artworks.
    Hmm, interesting. I was just watching these videos and they said that they do ship all over the world at least in that shop. I got the impression that the Japanese swords can cost from hundreds of dollars to thousands, meaning of course tens of thousands dollars too. It just depends on the sword really, how it is made and when. The more genuine articles are more expensive. Personally I find both the craftmanship and history interesting, besides of the aesthetics of course. I tend to be more of a collector instead of daring to use at least those better quality swords even though they are made for use, but I wouldn't want to damage them. With cheaper ones it wouldn't be such an issue.

That said, there are of course some very good alternatives, but for the top-of-the-line stuff you'll still be coughing up a five-figure amount, though.
    Well yes, for high quality or luxury items you would always have to pay more of course. One can dream of such precious artworks!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4jV6OXa3BQ

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUg6XfvO87o

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th August 2022), Fred Steeves (17th August 2022)