Thread: China is now monitoring employees’ brainwaves and emotions

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts

Thumbs Down China is now monitoring employees’ brainwaves and emotions

Source: Fast Company

The Orwellian-as-all-get-out practice is being conducted using “emotional surveillance technology” by both businesses in China and the country’s military, reports the South China Morning Post. The tech uses small wireless sensors embedded in employees’ hats that can monitor brainwaves. That brainwave data is then analyzed by AI to tell when an employee is tired, anxious, or even full of rage. One company using the brain-monitoring tech says profits have increased by $315 million since rolling it out way back in 2014. Other uses of the tech include monitoring drivers of trains to tell if they’ve fallen asleep or are at risk of doing so.

It’s important to note the technology cannot read people’s thoughts. Still, the ability to read someone’s emotions is just another way big data and AI are slowly taking away people’s privacy, and one has to worry just how far some authoritarian state could take the technology in the future. Might we one day have a state that monitors its citizens’ emotions after a speech by their leader to find out whether or not they agreed with the party? Or if the tech becomes widespread, might ads be served up to us one day based on our current mood? The possibilities are chilling.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (30th April 2018), Melidae (30th April 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    I'm certainly going to marvel at the manner this nation will fold in on itself. Always get the feeling of watching some form of a ballet dancing slow motion train wreck.
    Become a place to show the western world their dirt and blame pushing too, so it is quite the epic to observe to the final act.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Kathy (3rd May 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post

The Orwellian-as-all-get-out practice is being conducted using “emotional surveillance technology” by both businesses in China and the country’s military, reports the South China Morning Post. The tech uses small wireless sensors embedded in employees’ hats that can monitor brainwaves. That brainwave data is then analyzed by AI to tell when an employee is tired, anxious, or even full of rage. One company using the brain-monitoring tech says profits have increased by $315 million since rolling it out way back in 2014. Other uses of the tech include monitoring drivers of trains to tell if they’ve fallen asleep or are at risk of doing so.

It’s important to note the technology cannot read people’s thoughts. Still, the ability to read someone’s emotions is just another way big data and AI are slowly taking away people’s privacy, and one has to worry just how far some authoritarian state could take the technology in the future. Might we one day have a state that monitors its citizens’ emotions after a speech by their leader to find out whether or not they agreed with the party? Or if the tech becomes widespread, might ads be served up to us one day based on our current mood? The possibilities are chilling.

existence of this planet and her peoples lay not in what her peoples become able to do but in what we can do but choose not to do...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd May 2018), Dreamtimer (2nd May 2018), Elen (3rd May 2018), Kathy (3rd May 2018), modwiz (2nd May 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    existence of this planet and her peoples lay not in what her peoples become able to do but in what we can do but choose not to do...
    Big Bad Bump for these words. Word!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th July 2018), Elen (10th July 2018), Kathy (15th July 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Is the technology actually reading emotions or rather an output of energy? Perhaps a person is viewed as being fatigued when their energy level falls below a certain level?

Reading a Human Brain for actual thoughts? Is it possible? I cannot help but wonder whether the employees were willing participants or coerced into participation.

We are all composed of energy aren't we? Water and electricity and chemicals - and - energy. So when I apply logic to this situation, it seems that the technology is acting not unlike a geiger counter or a thermometer or any device that measures heat, radiation et cetera.

Do my comments make sense or am I off with the pixies, as they say ...? (Grinning)

Much Peace & Much Respect - Amanda

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th July 2018), Dreamtimer (15th July 2018), Elen (15th July 2018), Kathy (15th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Amanda View Post
    Is the technology actually reading emotions or rather an output of energy? Perhaps a person is viewed as being fatigued when their energy level falls below a certain level?

Reading a Human Brain for actual thoughts? Is it possible? I cannot help but wonder whether the employees were willing participants or coerced into participation.

We are all composed of energy aren't we? Water and electricity and chemicals - and - energy. So when I apply logic to this situation, it seems that the technology is acting not unlike a geiger counter or a thermometer or any device that measures heat, radiation et cetera.

Do my comments make sense or am I off with the pixies, as they say ...? (Grinning)
    No, you're making a very good point, actually. As I understand it, the reading of emotions and/or thoughts by way of technology is merely an interpretation of things like brainwaves, body posture and body temperature. And given that it's only an interpretation of what a person might actually be feeling or thinking, the validity of the information provided by this technology is therefore subject to scrutiny.

In essence, the technology is looking at the shadows on the wall in Plato's cave, rather than understanding what those shadows really represent.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (15th July 2018), Elen (15th July 2018), Kathy (15th July 2018)