Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Myth And Magic

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts

Myth And Magic

Myth and magic live together and are woven into the tapestry of human consciousness and both are our birthright on Earth. I will be mixing the mythos of both Earth and Middle-Earth. There is a wealth of good videos for this to be done.

Also, magical subjects of our time will be a part of the greater arc of this thread. I will rely quite a bit on a modern Druid type like Thomas Sheridan. Michael Tsarion also has work that can allow people to transition into their birthright, if they care and dare to do so.

Most of all it is my wish that the thread will be enjoyable and even fun.

Let us begin with Middle-Earth and the Kingdom of Rohan and the Rohirrim

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), Zebowho (4th May 2018)

Thanks
    A good trasition from the Rohirrim would be to the head of the Norse Pantheon, Odin. It focuses on how he lost his eye and is two minutes long. It is followed by a more in depth look at him.

Last edited by modwiz, 30th April 2018 at 08:18.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), Zebowho (4th May 2018)

Thanks
    Wouldn't want anyone to get lost while exploring Norse mythology.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Interesting, I have not read LOTR and therefore any appendices. I have met a fellow who is a complete encyclopaedia on the world of Tolkien.
    Drawn a little to the Norse, a few odd dreams. One had some place in modern times with a few different parks. One that has huge and elaborate sculptures in bronze, it's a huge grassed area with a pillared old architectural building in the center. Possibly a museum. And the other was down near a port with islands and some kind of series of stairs and ramparts and bridges to cross to some of the islands.

Sorry I digress haha.
    Feel that these times of myth in the past are of accuracy. Some cross overs. The age going into the 3rd dimension where power and patriarchal rule was the chosen experience and there was supplied 'gods' to complete the chess set, dressed to fit the required narrative of the age.
    I often sense that history is like that, not necessarily an ongoing story involving the same characters acting out the same lessons, but made for the chosen period of experience. Kind of.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Thank you for that...I grew up with a lot of this. The Jotunheim is close to my heart...as I have trekked there a lot as a child. There were moments where the thought of the giants scared us. There were stories and legends to be considered , but I'm still here The Jotunheim is a National Park and so nobody can build there, but we had (still in the family) a cabin just outside with free access to the area. What I learned was a lot of respect for The Earth. I consider it a sacred place and a place to play, play with the weather, animals, plants and trees.

I have a contribution with this web-site offering free e-books with excerpts from the poetic Edda. We call it the Edda Sagas. At this stage I cannot offer any navigational tools, other than "jump right in". It is time consuming.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1152...lcome_stranger

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    Interesting, I have not read LOTR and therefore any appendices. I have met a fellow who is a complete encyclopaedia on the world of Tolkien.
    Drawn a little to the Norse, a few odd dreams. One had some place in modern times with a few different parks. One that has huge and elaborate sculptures in bronze, it's a huge grassed area with a pillared old architectural building in the center. Possibly a museum. And the other was down near a port with islands and some kind of series of stairs and ramparts and bridges to cross to some of the islands.

Sorry I digress haha.
    Feel that these times of myth in the past are of accuracy. Some cross overs. The age going into the 3rd dimension where power and patriarchal rule was the chosen experience and there was supplied 'gods' to complete the chess set, dressed to fit the required narrative of the age.
    I often sense that history is like that, not necessarily an ongoing story involving the same characters acting out the same lessons, but made for the chosen period of experience. Kind of.
    There is the sense that the gods acting out are a bit of a mirror for ourselves. Dramas, fookery, passions and even comedy to allow us to become greater, in behavior and wisdom than the gods themselves. It is at that point the gods become elemental forces and their true Nature is revealed.

Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    Thank you for that...I grew up with a lot of this. The Jotunheim is close to my heart...as I have trekked there a lot as a child. There were moments where the thought of the giants scared us. There were stories and legends to be considered , but I'm still here The Jotunheim is a National Park and so nobody can build there, but we had (still in the family) a cabin just outside with free access to the area. What I learned was a lot of respect for The Earth. I consider it a sacred place and a place to play, play with the weather, animals, plants and trees.

I have a contribution with this web-site offering free e-books with excerpts from the poetic Edda. We call it the Edda Sagas. At this stage I cannot offer any navigational tools, other than "jump right in". It is time consuming.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1152...lcome_stranger
    The beauty of myth(s) is it allows us to enter a landscape of imagination, which is our other reality half, even the source reality. The above to the below. Furthermore we can then enter into a mythic 'self' which is far closer to our true Nature than the mundane citizen of a city/state. By embracing both and gracefully transitioning as the situation requires, we get in touch with what could be called a form of shape-shifting.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    A personal report on magic in my life would be starting a new practice in Gaian Tantric Magic. That is, following the Lunar cycles. Especially the Crescent Moon 36-72 hours after the New Moon (Dark) It appears in the Western sky at sunset at that time. Tuning into the energies or Dakinis (Tibetan) that come on 'shift' for that cycle. They will be the mood and thematic focus of Sophia for that cycle.

The creativity of Bu-Devi and Her inspiration of the arts is a time of creativity and it has had its way with me. Green Tara, caretaker of Nature and Green beings,(vegetation) is also on shift and makes this cycle unique because it has two Dakinis. Tennis anyone? Be aware, you will be the ball but, the choice of trajectory is ours to create. If we have what it takes.

If not, enjoy the ride and observe as they toss you about. It is done in love and to provide growth in coming into our power. That is, to understand what sovereignty means on the planet/Gaia created for us.
    Last edited by modwiz, 30th April 2018 at 10:33.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    The Jotunheim...Besseggen not far from the cabin.

Rainbow bridge

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    The first or top map is based on Tolkien's own drawn maps. However, there is a very creative fan base that have created very reasonable extrapolations to produce a view that could very well represent a greater picture and bring Middle-Earth closer to our own. In many ways a remembering of a story of our remote past. Perhaps a parallel could-have-been world. The bottom map provides that perspective and I found it visual engaging. Not to mention, very stirring of the subconscious.

Last edited by Kathy, 1st May 2018 at 19:43.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 295 Posts
    Shhhh, Wizzie, you might just wake the "Unknowing"!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gale Frierson For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Gale Frierson View Post
    Shhhh, Wizzie, you might just wake the "Unknowing"!
    Thank you, Gale. That is generous and, if it does help, it would be my pleasure to do so. In many ways, there is a spirit moving me to do this. And just a little teasing out may be all that is needed. There is a perception of something in our collective psyche that I will call 'pregnant'.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Just getting started here, still have some listening to do. I listened to a good bit of Daniel Updike and his Northern Runes radio. He spoke about Odin. If I recall correctly one of the reasons Odin gave up his eye and hung from the tree for nine days was to procure the runes and the knowledge that came with them.

So glad you started with the Rohirrim. They have a special place in my heart.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Just getting started here, still have some listening to do. I listened to a good bit of Daniel Updike and his Northern Runes radio. He spoke about Odin. If I recall correctly one of the reasons Odin gave up his eye and hung from the tree for nine days was to procure the runes and the knowledge that came with them.

So glad you started with the Rohirrim. They have a special place in my heart.
    After the he received the runes he gave his eye to see 'all'. One can call it wisdom. I like the metaphor of the remaining eye saw the outside world and the missing one saw the inner invisible one. The short video is all about that part.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I've heard about that pregnancy, Modwiz. And that earth is about to give birth. There are different definitions for what that means. I'm on board with spiritual awakening. That's much more inspiring than mega-catastrophe.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I've heard about that pregnancy, Modwiz. And that earth is about to give birth. There are different definitions for what that means. I'm on board with spiritual awakening. That's much more inspiring than mega-catastrophe.
    Yes! Not on board with a cat ass trophy either.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), PurpleLama (30th April 2018)