Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Myth And Magic

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Hecate is a very personal favorite of mine. She has more than one origin story and that is a big clue. For me, she is revealed as a daughter of Gaia and not one of the Titans, who are demi-urgic insertions into the primordial mythos. This video is pretty good as an introduction. I did say very personal favorite. (wink)

So much deeper than the title states. She has some major agency.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Hecate is associated with crossroads or crossings. Doorways and entrances fall into this in the deeper gnosis of Her. She guards/oversees portals by derivation and therefore chakras,especially considering Her affiliation/lore with the kundalini serpent energy that moves through them. She is a true daughter of Gaia.

Last edited by modwiz, 30th April 2018 at 12:02.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I haven't stared into that series of gateways, but I think it could be quite trippy if I did.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I haven't stared into that series of gateways, but I think it could be quite trippy if I did.
    Yes, it is trippy that stays with one a bit. Tis wise to proceed with respect for it.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Yes! Not on board with a cat ass trophy either.
    Interesting thread and I am laughing here.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Elen (30th April 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018), PurpleLama (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Persephone, Demeter, Hecate. I don't think I've heard these three as the maiden, mother, crone before. I remember learning about Demeter as a kid and liking her.

Crossroads seem to mostly be shown as four way, but the masks look three ways. Past, present, future. A fork in the road is a three-way cross road. That symbol is seen around the world in logos and more.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), enjoy being (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Makes one think of the 5 faces of Shiva.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Hecate is a very personal favorite of mine. She has more than one origin story and that is a big clue. For me, she is revealed as a daughter of Gaia and not one of the Titans, who are demi-urgic insertions into the primordial mythos. This video is pretty good as an introduction. I did say very personal favorite. (wink)

So much deeper than the title states. She has some major agency.

Last evening I noticed the next episode of Penny Dreadful is about Hecate. I haven't watched this video or the episode but I'm wondering if there is a lesson or learning potential in the episode.

Nothing has caused me to indulge in a little reflection. In being honest with myself I realized that most everything I see on this board is not really interesting or relevant to me. And to try to contribute my thoughts to such is not productive. What is interesting and relevant, in my opinion of course, are the people on the board. I could try to couch my reflections in esoteric language but it just isn't my style, I am driven by my nature to keep it simple because in my estimate in those terms the message should be self evident. What really trips my trigger is to see what motivates the words behind the contributors.

What I have seen are some 'clean' spirits, some very confused ones, some self-absorbed ones, some very focused and earnest ones, some dealing with generalized hostility. The run of humanity if you will. All that is cool. I try not to judge, I just try to learn and frankly I try to steer to the truth, peace, understanding, global community. I would add humility but that would be a shining example of hypocrisy as I'm currently struggling with that.

I've always found it interesting when I have been criticized that when I defend myself I am accused of arrogance. It's about balance and and I try to maintain it.

Peace, Love, and Bunny Rabbits.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), enjoy being (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Persephone, Demeter, Hecate. I don't think I've heard these three as the maiden, mother, crone before. I remember learning about Demeter as a kid and liking her.

Crossroads seem to mostly be shown as four way, but the masks look three ways. Past, present, future. A fork in the road is a three-way cross road. That symbol is seen around the world in logos and more.

Hecate is so ancient that it can be difficult to find or define Her without intuition to guide one. But, like pieces of a puzzle, one can assemble a coherent concept that then comes to life in the psyche. Our minds will usually think of a crossroads as four because that forms a cross. However, it is more about roads/paths that converge into one center. Ideally these paths are more in the mind/imagination than physical but, both have their application according to the situation and desired setting.

The Greek primordial myth was quite simple and much closer to the truly ancient wisdom of pre-history. There was Gaia and Uranus. Earth and Sky. This does transmit the gnostic mysteries of the Aeons as dyads or a syzygy. (From Late Latin syzygia (“conjunction”), from Ancient Greek σύζυγος (súzugos, “yoked together”). Aeons are emanations of The Originator, the one ultimate unmanifest Creator of a galaxy. The Aeons are qualities, adapted by kabbalists for their sephiroth on their tree of life. Sophia/Wisdom was coupled with Thelete/Intent. One can 'grok' how they would pair together very well, for Wisdom would sit within itself without Intent.

Returning to the primordial Greek mythos, they expanded this simplicity as 'their mind' began to influence the war-like people who displaced the indigenous of what is now Greece and its islands. It starts with Kronos as a child of Gaia/Uranus and the fookery begins. Hecate is named as a Titan, as this batch of Gaia's children developed. This conflation can be confusing without certain inner guidance/intuition to guide us. My gnosis is Hecate is a true daughter of Gaia placed among the archontic insertions, and even that phrasing has its distortions without a lengthy dissertation about the Titans, who were a mix of qualities and beings. Kronos represents Time that had swallowed the memory of what would become the Olympian pantheon. That is, human memory, not all, had forgotten about these archons, Greek for rulers, until they emerge within history.

Hope that wasn't too painful.

Here is a Greek statue of Hecate with three faces though not, maiden/mother/crone. I do not like statues of these entities so much and prefer painted artistic renditions, if She must be depicted but, here it is.

Last edited by modwiz, 1st May 2018 at 13:46.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Last evening I noticed the next episode of Penny Dreadful is about Hecate. I haven't watched this video or the episode but I'm wondering if there is a lesson or learning potential in the episode.

Nothing has caused me to indulge in a little reflection. In being honest with myself I realized that most everything I see on this board is not really interesting or relevant to me. And to try to contribute my thoughts to such is not productive. What is interesting and relevant, in my opinion of course, are the people on the board. I could try to couch my reflections in esoteric language but it just isn't my style, I am driven by my nature to keep it simple because in my estimate in those terms the message should be self evident. What really trips my trigger is to see what motivates the words behind the contributors.

What I have seen are some 'clean' spirits, some very confused ones, some self-absorbed ones, some very focused and earnest ones, some dealing with generalized hostility. The run of humanity if you will. All that is cool. I try not to judge, I just try to learn and frankly I try to steer to the truth, peace, understanding, global community. I would add humility but that would be a shining example of hypocrisy as I'm currently struggling with that.

I've always found it interesting when I have been criticized that when I defend myself I am accused of arrogance. It's about balance and and I try to maintain it.

Peace, Love, and Bunny Rabbits.
    Many of the more prolific posters here are also involved in the arts of some sort. So, the logical blends with the ethereal in a synthesis that can be challenging. That you post your thoughts, like the above, certainly evokes great compassion within me and know I am not alone.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Emil El Zapato (1st May 2018), enjoy being (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Nice post NAP, it feels like you have given something of yourself. You at one point were glad I was one of you, which I found both endearing and worrying as I have no idea, still, who you are really.. But I tell you that in those words you have given now, we are the same, and many of us I would speculate are "seeking the same".
    Myself I'm certainly only here for the observation of ourselves, rather than compiling of information.
    I for one appreciate attempting to drag things closer to simplicity.

A repost of a snippet of a quote, because it is simple.
    A common ritual at gatherings is the use of the Tokutoku, or talking stick. Whoever holds the stick can speak whatever they want for however long they want. Holding the stick creates the space for everyone hearing each other. This is the prerequisite for peace. Everyone needs to have a say, and what everyone has to say needs to be validated, not necessarily be agreed with, but heard. In spaciousness there is place for everyone. There is no time pressure: “it takes as long as it takes.” This is Aroha in action
    And I may have missed it, from before I came in and disrupted proceedings in an unhelpful style, but I don't think anyone accused you of being arrogant. If anything, of what I have read from you, it feels like you are often defending a set of beliefs you have, but do not wish to really share them for whatever reason. Which is fine too.
    Last edited by enjoy being, 1st May 2018 at 13:42.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Emil El Zapato (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    Nice post NAP, it feels like you have given something of yourself. You at one point were glad I was one of you, which I found both endearing and worrying as I have no idea, still, who you are really.. But I tell you that in those words you have given now, we are the same, and many of us I would speculate are "seeking the same".
    Myself I'm certainly only here for the observation of ourselves, rather than compiling of information.
    I for one appreciate attempting to drag things closer to simplicity.

A repost of a snippet of a quote, because it is simple.

And I may have missed it, from before I came in and disrupted proceedings in an unhelpful style, but I don't think anyone accused you of being arrogant. If anything, of what I have read from you, it feels like you are often defending a set of beliefs you have, but do not wish to really share them for whatever reason. Which is fine too.
    I am really enjoying your posts, brother. Tis a deep well you speak from.
    Last edited by modwiz, 1st May 2018 at 14:34.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Emil El Zapato (1st May 2018), enjoy being (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    As always, literally...I have to add clarifications to my earlier post:

I have never been an 'artsy' or 'poetic' type person but of my friends the ones I admired most were the artists and poets. It's an interesting dichotomy. My natal astrological charts 'undiscovered' talents so perhaps I am merely a frustrated 'artiste'. I did win an art contest in kindergarten. As one stated it, I peaked early.

Now my daughter is headed for art college and I still shake my head in wonder at from where her talent came from...it certainly wasn't me and and as my daughter points out it wasn't her mother. I did discover one interesting fact about art and how and when it began. It's speculated that it began with language as though it was two branches of the same tree.

But I'm making it all about me again. It really isn't about me though, perhaps in a vicarious fashion it is, but it is about my daughter and my pride in her... Just so we know...

Of course to add, among the artists and poets, I was the resident 'mystic'. Life can be hilarious at times.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 1st May 2018 at 14:16.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), enjoy being (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Modwiz, I have failed miserably plenty of times in the past to get what is inside, out, without tears. So that's a relief.

Nap, I don't mean to sound patronising either. You're a smart guy and we all like you. You are Christian, and not that false corrupted commercial stuff either.. *knowing look*. I've seen many glimpses of the dexterity of your mind and devotion of heart.
    All people seem to have degrees of 'differencelexia' it seems and is why we have tensions, full stop.
    Friction over fear of consequences of differences.
    It's hard even when you know your triggers, to sit down and look at something you maybe don't agree with and attempt to learn from each other. And I get that you get that. Probably got it before I did. I still haven't really got it. And neither has anyone.
    So the spaciousness in that quote can sometimes be people bumping around in the dark still. I'd like to keep practising with people trying to do the same to see where it leads. I'll be putting my stick down for quite a while soon enough!
    Last edited by enjoy being, 1st May 2018 at 14:24.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Emil El Zapato (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    As always, literally...I have to add clarifications to my earlier post:

I have never been an 'artsy' or 'poetic' type person but of my friends the ones I admired most were the artists and poets. It's an interesting dichotomy. My natal astrological charts 'undiscovered' talents so perhaps I am merely a frustrated 'artiste'. I did win an art contest in kindergarten. As one stated it, I peaked early.

Now my daughter is headed for art college and I still shake my head in wonder at from where her talent came from...it certainly wasn't me and and as my daughter points out it wasn't her mother. I did discover one interesting fact about art and how and when it began. It's speculated that it began with language as though it was two branches of the same tree.

But I'm making it all about me again. It really isn't about me though, perhaps in a vicarious fashion it is, but it is about my daughter and my pride in her... Just so we know...

Of course to add, among the artists and poets, I was the resident 'mystic'. Life can be hilarious at times.
    Great, it's pretty masterful to have created an artist. Anything worth doing is an art. Hey I am sorry for the style of speech I used with you yesterday, if that isn't already clear. Though, I don't really regret it if it creates some deeper level for us all. Just know, it is not personal, I don't brood, and I hope you don't either. I recall you saying you can take it.
    But I probably took it too far hey!

I'm proud of your proudness of your daughter by the way. And by the looks of things you should be. People can be artists whenever they decide they have been their whole lives really.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Emil El Zapato (1st May 2018), Kathy (1st May 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)