Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leelas and Rants

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    By watching things such as "The Secret Life of the Dog", one will find that all domestic dogs are created via breeding and selection. The dogs have also adapted within these constructs to be a companion for survival. Therefore the notion of looking after domestic animals is definitely different to living with other beings in that the relationship is symbiotic to some extents and is also formed by things such as via responsibilities to the animal which has had its 'nature' altered.

I just edited this post to correct the title of the documentary mentioned, as there is a few with similar titles and I had typed a title halfway between them both haha.
    Last edited by enjoy being, 27th April 2018 at 08:12.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (20th April 2018), Dreamtimer (21st April 2018), Dumpster Diver (22nd April 2018), Elen (20th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (20th April 2018), Kathy (23rd April 2018), modwiz (20th April 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    By watching things such as "The Secret Life of Dogs", one will find that all domestic dogs are created via breeding and selection. The dogs have also adapted within these constructs to be a companion for survival. Therefore the notion of looking after domestic animals is definately different to living with other beings in that the relationship is symbiotic to some extents and is also formed by things such as via responsibilities to the animal which has had its 'nature' altered.
    Dogs are very happy to be familiar to us and accept us humans as pack leaders. Cats are very willing to accept some of us as family. They are less eager and yet are very emotionally connected. Did you hear the story of the elephants who all spontaneously arrived to honor their human friend who died? that story really touched me.

For 12 hours, two herds of wild South African elephants slowly made their way through the Zululand bush until they reached the house of late author Lawrence Anthony, the conservationist who saved their lives.
    The formerly violent, rogue elephants, destined to be shot a few years ago as pests, were rescued and rehabilitated by Anthony, who had grown up in the bush and was known as the “Elephant Whisperer.”

For two days the herds loitered at Anthony’s rural compound on the vast Thula Thula game reserve in the South African KwaZulu – to say good-bye to the man they loved. But how did they know he had died March 7?

Known for his unique ability to calm traumatized elephants, Anthony had become a legend. He is the author of three books, Baghdad Ark, detailing his efforts to rescue the animals at Baghdad Zoo during the Iraqi war, the forthcoming The Last Rhinos, and his bestselling The Elephant Whisperer.

There are two elephant herds at Thula Thula. According to his son Dylan, both arrived at the Anthony family compound shortly after Anthony’s death.

“They had not visited the house for a year and a half and it must have taken them about 12 hours to make the journey,” Dylan is quoted in various local news accounts. “The first herd arrived on Sunday and the second herd, a day later. They all hung around for about two days before making their way back into the bush.”

Elephants have long been known to mourn their dead. In India, baby elephants often are raised with a boy who will be their lifelong “mahout.” The pair develop legendary bonds – and it is not uncommon for one to waste away without a will to live after the death of the other.

A line of elephants approaching the Anthony house (Photo courtesy of the Anthony family)

But these are wild elephants in the 21st century, not some Rudyard Kipling novel.

The first herd to arrive at Thula Thula several years ago were violent. They hated humans. Anthony found himself fighting a desperate battle for their survival and their trust, which he detailed in The Elephant Whisperer:

“It was 4:45 a.m. and I was standing in front of Nana, an enraged wild elephant, pleading with her in desperation. Both our lives depended on it. The only thing separating us was an 8,000-volt electric fence that she was preparing to flatten and make her escape.

“Nana, the matriarch of her herd, tensed her enormous frame and flared her ears.

“’Don’t do it, Nana,’ I said, as calmly as I could. She stood there, motionless but tense. The rest of the herd froze.

“’This is your home now,’ I continued. ‘Please don’t do it, girl.’

I felt her eyes boring into me.

“’They’ll kill you all if you break out. This is your home now. You have no need to run any more.’

“Suddenly, the absurdity of the situation struck me,” Anthony writes. “Here I was in pitch darkness, talking to a wild female elephant with a baby, the most dangerous possible combination, as if we were having a friendly chat. But I meant every word. ‘You will all die if you go. Stay here. I will be here with you and it’s a good place.’

“She took another step forward. I could see her tense up again, preparing to snap the electric wire and be out, the rest of the herd smashing after her in a flash.

“I was in their path, and would only have seconds to scramble out of their way and climb the nearest tree. I wondered if I would be fast enough to avoid being trampled. Possibly not.

“Then something happened between Nana and me, some tiny spark of recognition, flaring for the briefest of moments. Then it was gone. Nana turned and melted into the bush. The rest of the herd followed. I couldn’t explain what had happened between us, but it gave me the
    first glimmer of hope since the elephants had first thundered into my life.” http://www.beliefnet.com/inspiration...whisperer.aspx

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (20th April 2018), Dreamtimer (21st April 2018), Dumpster Diver (22nd April 2018), Elen (20th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (20th April 2018), enjoy being (20th April 2018), Kathy (23rd April 2018), modwiz (20th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Id probably trade everything to be a mahout. I feel like I already have been a few times. Funny you should post that, thanks.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (20th April 2018), Dreamtimer (21st April 2018), Dumpster Diver (22nd April 2018), Elen (20th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (20th April 2018), Kathy (23rd April 2018), Maggie (20th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    There's many techniques of course, but it is interesting to note a contrast of method in the theory of "breathing" between two examples.

One has the person sitting and meditating, breathing in old positivity and exhaling new negativity. The other, has the opposite, where the subject sits and breathes in old negativity and exhales new positivity.
    Often it seems the first place an initiate stops is at the first example, and many just become consumers of positivity, never thinking about transmuting a bit back the other way. Is it a sign of their fears and fragility? The clutch of the survivor to the saviour where the rescue team gets clawed and clambered over?
    This is why I do not take too much notice of so called sages and priests, their selfish fears can consume you if you get too close without awareness of their possible plight.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (20th April 2018), Dreamtimer (21st April 2018), Dumpster Diver (22nd April 2018), Elen (20th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (22nd April 2018), Kathy (23rd April 2018), Maggie (20th April 2018), modwiz (20th April 2018)

Thanks
    Often it seems the first place an initiate stops is at the first example, and many just become consumers of positivity
    For several years I was in a dark night. My energy was quite heavy and I completely agreed with being just as low as I was and not trying to change it but to let it be and learn how to feel I was not alone. There was a presence with me. Sincerely I wanted to feel beloved by God. It was that I wanted to love myself no matter what state I was in. I did not want to pretend or be superficial. I knew I could be genuinely happy even when sad... paradoxically.

Now I am no longer in the tunnel. I take credit for learning to love myself and I feel a PRESENCE with me. Now I am much more youthful and learning to be playful.

I am so much lighter and yet I am refusing to be false to me as I understand that to be on any given day. I WILL to be an expression of my highest knowing of my being and The Presence is uncaring for what I am acting out. It's truly all good when one feels beloved.

I used to play this over and over on my CD player. I would dance and weep. I love this music like my very old friend.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGn27OvFDZY

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (20th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (22nd April 2018), Elen (20th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (22nd April 2018), enjoy being (20th April 2018), Kathy (23rd April 2018), modwiz (20th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I can relate to that, a good while of my youth being spent captured by myself and the woes I carried. And I learned to run with a limp, thinking not to remove the stones from my shoes. When eventually it caught up with me I was still only young, and the pit was deeper than before. Finding out that much of the oddness I felt towards the ways of the world around me was justified and sane, begun a climb.

This was my song, sometimes left repeating for a few days.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (20th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (22nd April 2018), Elen (20th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (20th April 2018), Kathy (23rd April 2018), Maggie (20th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    By watching things such as "The Secret Life of Dogs", one will find that all domestic dogs are created via breeding and selection. The dogs have also adapted within these constructs to be a companion for survival. Therefore the notion of looking after domestic animals is definately different to living with other beings in that the relationship is symbiotic to some extents and is also formed by things such as via responsibilities to the animal which has had its 'nature' altered.
    We “domesticated” dogs, i.e. captured them, fed them, bred them, and then they, in turn, became subject to a sort of Stockholm syndrome. Cats as well. Just because the animals now seem to go along with it, does not mean it is correct.

Our keepers are doing the same thing to us...

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (22nd April 2018), Elen (22nd April 2018), Emil El Zapato (22nd April 2018), enjoy being (22nd April 2018), Kathy (23rd April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    The secret life of dogs is really interesting. There's a fox breeding experiment that has been going for 50 years. They have just been selecting and separating the aggresive ones from the more placid ones and interbreeding them. The kennels with the aggresive ones have pointy upright ears and straight droopy tails, and of course they snarl and his and are unapproachable. The placid selections have cute floppy ears and curly tails and they smile and are completely handle-able. Are those traits the chicken or the egg? Becoming more endearing to humans for survival?
    It goes into how smart they are and test shows them as far smarter than a chimp. They also pick up on the black and white dots or human eyes and have worked out how to follow a humans eyes. Like if you keep your head still and look at them then move your eyes to the side, they will look where you are looking. Matter of if they have learned to be savy to be useful to remain fed, or if they have always been skilled in ways other animalds arent.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (22nd April 2018), Dumpster Diver (22nd April 2018), Elen (22nd April 2018), Emil El Zapato (27th April 2018), Kathy (23rd April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post
    We “domesticated” dogs, i.e. captured them, fed them, bred them, and then they, in turn, became subject to a sort of Stockholm syndrome. Cats as well. Just because the animals now seem to go along with it, does not mean it is correct.

Our keepers are doing the same thing to us...
    Epigenetics is a POV that shows how life adapts to environment. In the POV I understand of epigenetics there is an environmental control of genetics. I think that dogs domesticated and that humans too are domesticated and cats are somesticated. Are "keepers" involved? I don't know? We too are a community in the body and have some conscious control over the community so maybe its true at all levels?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqRHskK3wyA

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (27th April 2018), Elen (27th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (27th April 2018), enjoy being (27th April 2018), Kathy (4th May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks

This was the one, I realised there is a BBC one called The secret life of dogs as well.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (27th April 2018), Elen (27th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (27th April 2018), Kathy (4th May 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts

This was the one, I realised there is a BBC one called The secret life of dogs as well.
    It's not on YouTube nor on the BBC web-site. Found this and hope it will embed...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kic8n

Which it did not, But hopefully the link will work.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (27th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (27th April 2018), Kathy (4th May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    It's not on YouTube nor on the BBC web-site. Found this and hope it will embed...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kic8n

Which it did not, But hopefully the link will work.
    Hi Elen, yeah that is not it. The vimeo one I linked is the right one. Note the difference in title is important. The secret life of the dog vs The secret lives of dogs.
    There is a dailymotion version of The secret life of the dog however, but I just left the vimeo one up, if you click the vimeo button on the private video embed it will take you to the vimeo site and it can still be watched.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2adqfh ...is the dailymotion version but the resolution is not as good as the vimeo one.

I hope people watch this as it will definitely make a few things regards our relationship with dogs and domestication clear. It is a GREAT documentary!
    Last edited by enjoy being, 27th April 2018 at 07:48.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (27th April 2018), Elen (27th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (27th April 2018), Kathy (4th May 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Hi Elen, yeah that is not it. The vimeo one I linked is the right one. Note the difference in title is important. The secret life of the dog vs The secret lives of dogs.
    There is a dailymotion version of The secret life of the dog however, but I just left the vimeo one up, if you click the vimeo button on the private video embed it will take you to the vimeo site and it can still be watched.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2adqfh ...is the dailymotion version but the resolution is not as good as the vimeo one.

I hope people watch this as it will definitely make a few things regards our relationship with dogs and domestication clear. It is a GREAT documentary!
    Thanks for the clarification...

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (27th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (27th April 2018), enjoy being (27th April 2018), Kathy (4th May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    Thanks for the clarification...
    I almost think the confusion of titles is there to stop people watching the good one. haha

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    I almost think the confusion of titles is there to stop people watching the good one. haha
    Well I'm watching now...and it is really good so far!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th April 2018), Aragorn (27th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (27th April 2018), enjoy being (27th April 2018), Kathy (4th May 2018)