Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Researchers find genetic cause for Alzheimer's, possible method to reverse it

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    My understanding about Ginkgo is that it is good for the circulation and that, in turn, helps with brain function.

I thought your comment, Nothing, was pointing to the obvious path of, let's make another drug. It's the magic pill mentality. People didn't want to exercise and change their diet so they went on drugs, or got surgery. People don't want to do the long haul of therapy so they go on psychoactive drugs. The docs all have had to specialize so they all just prescribe pills.

I'm embellishing and simplifying a bit. I have mixed feelings about mainstream medicine. There are times when it's the only option, and there are times when other options should be pursued.

The thing about medical and scientific research that's consistently true is that many of the best discoveries are by accident. So it's a science and also a bit of an art. There are also all kinds of off-label uses of drugs.

The thing that bothers me most is that we're more becoming guinea pigs. As people push for less and less regulation the companies can just put stuff out into the market and test it on the people. As long as the legislators continue to protect large businesses over regular humans we will continue down this road.

My brother already says, "Most people are just pennies. You could throw them away and you'd never miss them. They don't matter. They don't make a difference."

He thinks he's being original, no doubt, but that's just a paraphrase of the industrialist who referred to workers as "bolts on the warehouse floor. It's not worth sweeping them up and re-using them. It's too expensive. Just sweep them away. You won't miss them."

This is the current attitude, imo.
    Suffering is hard to watch and hard to endure. Other than that, there is a lot of things being fixed because people are just scared of death, to the point they will play Russian Roulette with humanities future. Humans can seem to be so short sighted and believe they know best. The road to hell paved with good intentions mantra again.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2018), Dreamtimer (26th April 2018), Elen (26th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2018)