Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hubble Telescope Discovers a Light-Bending 'Einstein Ring' in Space

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by palooka's revenge View Post
    What if the Big Bang was the Big O in the Gawdhead?
    Might be...

"We use big-Θ notation to asymptotically bound the growth of a running time to within constant factors above and below. Sometimes we want to bound from only above."

- Some Dude -
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th April 2018), Dreamtimer (14th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (15th April 2018), Elen (15th April 2018), palooka's revenge (15th April 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Both the Big Bang and black holes are predictions of Einstein's General Relativity, so if you agree that Einstein was correct, then you have to agree that the Big Bang did occur — at least, from the temporal point of view — and that black holes are real.

In fact, there was a scientific publication only a few days ago that not only is there a supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy, but this supermassive black hole is surrounded by thousands upon thousands of "regular" black holes that have wandered too close to the center of the galaxy and have been caught in the supermassive black hole's gravitational pull.
    Wow. What kind of event horizon would that have? What happens when black holes get sucked into supermassive ones? Are there enough to bring things back together into something like the starting singularity?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (15th April 2018), Elen (15th April 2018), palooka's revenge (15th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Both the Big Bang and black holes are predictions of Einstein's General Relativity, so if you agree that Einstein was correct, then you have to agree that the Big Bang did occur — at least, from the temporal point of view — and that black holes are real.

In fact, there was a scientific publication only a few days ago that not only is there a supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy, but this supermassive black hole is surrounded by thousands upon thousands of "regular" black holes that have wandered too close to the center of the galaxy and have been caught in the supermassive black hole's gravitational pull.
    Wow. What kind of event horizon would that have?
    An enormous one, which shouts "You shall not pass!" at every poor little photon trying to escape.

What happens when black holes get sucked into supermassive ones? Are there enough to bring things back together into something like the starting singularity?
    I've only briefly glanced at the article, but from what I could make up, there could be an exchange of particles going on, resulting in the kinds of plasma jets that we see coming out of quasars and even pulsars. These plasma jets then travel for millions of kilometers/miles through space (and perpendicular to the plane of rotation of the galaxy), where they will eventually start clogging together under the influence of gravity — and possibly electrochemical binding, because plasma is ionized gas — to form gas clouds from which new stars are born, and subsequently this then gives birth to new galaxies.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (14th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (15th April 2018), Elen (15th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (14th April 2018), palooka's revenge (15th April 2018)

Thanks
    Wow. What kind of event horizon would that have? What happens when black holes get sucked into supermassive ones? Are there enough to bring things back together into something like the starting singularity?
    I was waiting for Argon....

they pretty much just get swallowed up and become part of the now bigger supermassive black hole. I think one of the pending questions is if a super large black hole gets big enough to do something besides get bigger what happens. It might be a matter of timing...if it happened quickly it might result in a big explosion...perhaps a white hole in another universe or the analog to a big bang.

It might just regurgitate in a super massive projectile vomit...

Over time a black hole of any kind will emit energy and if given enough time might just evaporate into quantum particles. I don't think physicists know which is most likely and therefore can't really predict how our Universe will end and how long it will really take. Right now the smart money is on a time that is very very large. Many many billions of years.

That's a lot of time for evolution of sentient life.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th April 2018), Dreamtimer (14th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (15th April 2018), Elen (15th April 2018), palooka's revenge (15th April 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts

Not so fast:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cr.../#.WtKwoYplChA

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th April 2018), Dreamtimer (15th April 2018), Elen (15th April 2018), enjoy being (15th April 2018), palooka's revenge (15th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post

[...]
    Not so fast:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cr.../#.WtKwoYplChA
    Yes, there was a point early on in Einstein's life as a scientist when he believed that the universe was static, and that it had always been there. But then he discarded that idea, because all evidence showed that the universe as we know it had had a beginning, and that it keeps on expanding.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (15th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (15th April 2018), Elen (15th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (15th April 2018), palooka's revenge (15th April 2018)

Thanks
    That's the genesis of the famous T-shirt. "I thought I was wrong once, but I was actually right." Sumpin' like that.

I"m not sure it was Einstein that removed the 'Cosmological Constant' that stabilized the universe into stasis. Of course, it turned out that the cosmo constant wasn't necessary in an expanding universe. But then when it became apparent that the universe was expanding faster than it was suppose to be...the constant was re-introduced to balance the mathematical equations to 'ameliorate' the state of theoretical knowledge. Somehow the cosmological constant is being used to 'possibly' explain the counter gravitational force that is in play.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th April 2018), Dreamtimer (15th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (15th April 2018), palooka's revenge (15th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    That's the genesis of the famous T-shirt. "I thought I was wrong once, but I was actually right." Sumpin' like that.

I"m not sure it was Einstein that removed the 'Cosmological Constant' that stabilized the universe into stasis. Of course, it turned out that the cosmo constant wasn't necessary in an expanding universe. But then when it became apparent that the universe was expanding faster than it was suppose to be...the constant was re-introduced to balance the mathematical equations to 'ameliorate' the state of theoretical knowledge. Somehow the cosmological constant is being used to 'possibly' explain the counter gravitational force that is in play.
    Correct, and this cosmological constant is then what we call dark energy — not to be confused with dark matter, because that's a different thing, and it actually does the opposite of dark energy.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (15th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (15th April 2018), Elen (15th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (15th April 2018), palooka's revenge (15th April 2018)