Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Six Pack

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts

Joe Six Pack

Who is this fellow? Do we know him? Is he here? What does he want? Who does he care about?

Is he the sympathetic 'everyman'?

Does anyone know?

Here are some perspectives:

...[welcoming support from Sarah Palin is] smart politics. Trump carries many positions, from admiring comments about Bill Clinton to support for Obamacare-like health policies, that jeopardize his standing with grass-roots conservatives. Palin, with her unimpeachable conservative cred, stands ready to vouch for him.
    Palin called those loyalists to action with a piece in Breitbart.com, casting Trump as the candidate of “Joe Six-Pack” Americans.
    Palin wrote: “Everywhere I’ve gone this summer, including motorsport events in Detroit full of fed-up Joe Six-Pack Americans, the folks I meet commiserate about wussified slates of politicians, but then unsolicited, they whisper their appreciation for Trump because he has the guts to say it like it is.”
    “What do we have in common? Our love for this country, a desire to see our economy put back on the right track,” Palin said after a meeting at Trump’s penthouse in Manhattan

Joe gets up at 6:00 AM to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and work as advertised.
    Joe takes his morning shower reaching for his shampoo; His bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.
    Joe is home from work, he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to dad's; his car is among the safest in the world because some liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electric until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification. (Those rural Republicans would still be sitting in the dark.)

Like Ronald Reagan before him, who was a household face for millions of Americans who had grown up watching General Electric Theater and Death Valley Days, Trump is a familiar face to fans of what might be described as “low-brow TV.”

“Downton Abbey” devotees might have missed him. Joe Six Pack didn’t. And to the astonishment of our pundit class, such as New York Times columnist David Brooks (who finally recognized “I have to change the way I do my job if I’m going to report accurately on this country.”), Joe Six Pack turns out for Trump rallies. And votes.

Look for him at the polls in November.

The Joe Sixpack Index

The Joe Sixpack Index is a composite index of home prices and wage income (again - Joe owns a house with a mortgage, has a job, and no other assets). This index was designed to measure how rich Joe should feel. The theory is that the richer Joe feels, the more Joe will spend.

The data in this index is only updated every three months, and the data was updated with the release of the Federal Reserves Z.1 Flow of Funds.
    It is inflation and population adjusted.

Currently, Joe has a house that is increasing in value - and his income in inflation terms is growing - but the net affect is that the rate of growth of the index declined - but still indicates Joe feels insignificantly richer than he did in the last quarter.
    My takeaway is:

On whole, American households with no assets and only income from wages or safety nets are just treading water.
    This is a lagging view of the average American's situation. Having said this, Joe and Middle Man's consumption is somewhat affected by how rich they feel - and it takes some time for the wealth effect to sink in.
    The majority of Americans are more like Joe Sixpack than Middle Man.
    The more assets you have - the richer you feel.
    Note: The Z.1 data is based on averages not medians. In other words, the rich are getting richer - and this influences the averages.

National politics are creeping into the bar room again. On Thursday (3.02), President Trump imposed a 10% tariff on aluminum imports and declared his affection for trade wars, Those actions might be that the cost of beer and soft drinks will be on the rise. Aluminum just so happens to be the key ingredient in beer cans and the industry is not happy.
    “According to third-party analyses, this 10% tariff will create a new $347.7 million tax on America’s beverage industry, including brewers and beer importers, and result in the loss of 20,291 American jobs,” Jim McGreevy, Beer Institute President and CEO responded in a statement.

“We appreciate the many members of Congress—both Republicans and Democrats—as well members of the cabinet who spoke out against imposing this tariff, many of whom specifically cited their concerns for how this tariff would negatively impact America’s beer industry.”
    Republican Senators Ben Sasse, Mike Lee, and Pat Roberts all blasted the measure. Lee called it “job-killing.”

More than half of the beer sold in America is packaged in aluminum cans. Industry observers fear that craft beer drinkers could switch to spirits or wine due to price increases. Political observers wonder how Trump’s base, literally described as “Joe Six Pack” will react.

From Sarah Palin, summer 2015:

Donald Trump, he’s got these Joe Six-Pack issues on his mind, and he’s got these Joe Six-Pack common sense solutions — he just happens to be an extremely successful and charismatic, with a very large platform, Joe Six-Pack.

After several decades of emphasizing cleavages based on religion, ethnicity, race, gender and sexual orientation, election commentary in 2016 saw a resurgence of social class as a voting divide. During most campaigns political commentary seems to converge on some particular group or demographic as being particularly critical to the outcome.

Recent decades have seen the year of the woman (1992), soccer moms (1996), security moms (2002) and waitress moms (2012), the angry white male (1994), office park dads (2002), NASCAR dads (2004) and Joe Six-Pack (2008). In the 2016 campaign the commentariat bestowed pride of place on the white working class, males in particular.
    Survey analysts commonly use education as a crude indicator of class. The relationship between educational attainment and voting for Trump is very strong, and election commentary drew attention to the voting difference between the college educated and the non-college educates. But surprisingly, an Economist/YouGov survey indicates that a majority of whites with only a four-year college degree voted for Trump, including a narrow plurality of white female college graduates. Clinton’s support was much stronger among people with advanced degrees and certifications.

Measuring class by education puts the Trump/Clinton dividing line between upper middle-class whites and everyone lower, rather than between the middle class and the working class.
    While the consequences of Donald Trump’s presidential victory may be major, even existential, its underlying basis has been exaggerated. Our country is not poised on the abyss of race war, Civil War, or any other kind of domestic war. Nor are we sliding down a slippery slope toward fascism. Normal people -- a.k.a. the general public -- continue to live their lives as they did before the election. The voters changed little between 2012 and 2016, although the small changes that occurred were critical for the outcome. Many of Trump’s voters were not endorsing his draconian proposals so much as sending a message that they were unhappy with the direction of current policy.

Finally, many, if not most Americans thought that the parties had given them a historically poor choice. Believing that change was needed, just enough of them in just the right places rolled the dice to send the candidate of the status quo down to defeat.
    By no means do such conclusions imply that all is well. In American politics today, majorities are fleeting. For nearly two decades neither party has shown itself capable of governing in a manner that will win long-term support from a majority of the electorate. As astute political writer and presidential biographer Robert Merry has written, “When a man as uncouth and reckless as Trump becomes president by running against the nation’s elites, it’s a strong signal the elites are the problem.”

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (7th April 2018), Elen (7th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Well, from my poor white trash background, I can fully relate to Joe-Bob Sixer. You libtards are screwing up everything, especially by driving up the cost of ammo.

But if you come to Jesus, we’ll think about forgiving you...maybe.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018), modwiz (7th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post
    Well, from my poor white trash background, I can fully relate to Joe-Bob Sixer. You libtards are screwing up everything, especially by driving up the cost of ammo.

But if you come to Jesus, we’ll think about forgiving you...maybe.
    Funny, actually Joe Six-pack can be a sympathetic character if they are human. Joe Six-pack is the hero of the right, the side which is 'awakening', yet, Joe is the proto-typical guy asleep on his feet or in the case of Trumpster, frighteningly asleep at the wheel when voting.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (7th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Funny, actually Joe Six-pack can be a sympathetic character if they are human. Joe Six-pack is the hero of the right, the side which is 'awakening', yet, Joe is the proto-typical guy asleep on his feet or in the case of Trumpster, frighteningly asleep at the wheel when voting.
    yeah, as far a i'm concerned palin high jacked joe 'n jo and, my collar having been blue all my life, consider her misguided characterization an insult!! and its a fact that i'm far from alone in that insult.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Who is this fellow? Do we know him? Is he here? What does he want? Who does he care about?

Is he the sympathetic 'everyman'?

Does anyone know?

Here are some perspectives:
    Who is Joe Six Pack? Rather than the extensive and carefully selected partisan "perspectives" listed in the opening post, how about what the dictionary says:

an ordinary man; specifically : a blue-collar worker

from the stereotype of a six-pack of beer as a workingman's drink
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...Joe%20Six-Pack

Emotions certainly have their place in this world, but they are also open to easy manipulation if left unguarded and/or unexamined. This is why courts of law for example, are based on deliberative means such as evidence, witnesses, and due process, not the raw emotions of either warring parties involved. The U.S. Senate is based on much the same. They are (supposedly) the world's most deliberative body, tasked with slowing things down with logical deliberation when Congress gets all hot and heavy with any given hot button emotional/political issue. Checks and balances...

But anyway, please carry on with this public denunciation of the average American blue collar working man, whom by definition is not associated with any political party. It's so open minded, inclusive, and Liberal
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (7th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018), modwiz (7th April 2018)

Thanks
    Denunciation? Who’s denunciating? You gonna name names, Fred, or just throw out comments?

Did you really just come in to make judgement and leave?

Do you think people here can’t read the dictionary?

Is that really all you have to offer? Your opinion boils down to a dictionary definition? Really? And you’re still throwing out the “liberal” label?

It’s not exactly a homogenous selection of views presented, Fred. Did you miss that part?

You can do way better than that. Even with only half a try. If this is the kind of discussion Joe Six Pack wants, why even bring him up?

What is his message? Sit down, shut up and think in one dimension?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Who is Joe Six Pack? Rather than the extensive and carefully selected partisan "perspectives" listed in the opening post, how about what the dictionary says:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...Joe%20Six-Pack

Emotions certainly have their place in this world, but they are also open to easy manipulation if left unguarded and/or unexamined. This is why courts of law for example, are based on deliberative means such as evidence, witnesses, and due process, not the raw emotions of either warring parties involved. The U.S. Senate is based on much the same. They are (supposedly) the world's most deliberative body, tasked with slowing things down with logical deliberation when Congress gets all hot and heavy with any given hot button emotional/political issue. Checks and balances...

But anyway, please carry on with this public denunciation of the average American blue collar working man, whom by definition is not associated with any political party. It's so open minded, inclusive, and Liberal
    If it is any consolation to you Fred, my dad always referred to me as 'Goodtime Charlie'. Pretty close to Joe Six-Pack actually. Truth be told if Joe wasn't stereotyped by the right as the party's most reliable bigot, he would be a sympathetic character. So is that a stereotype or is it real, Fred. My heart is beating waiting for this moment of significant breakthrough. Stereotypes do no one justice, even the Asian whom by the Western Intellectual is considered to be smarter than them. Which in Hollywood, is why the Asian is always at the keyboard when high tech crimes are being committed. A doubled-edged stereotype if there ever was one.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (7th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    The only emotion I have right now is disappointment.

No point fencing with someone who takes their epee and goes home.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    He'll be back, he's just gathering his resources...

Fred, likes to be the bearer of bad news, but I suspect he's feeling somewhat wounded. He shouldn't...as OJ's attorney said 'If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!' Or was it, 'if the shoe fits, wear it!' One of them thar' sayings.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Fred brought up Joe as an important person/figure. Someone who votes. Someone we should respect.

If he’s a driving force that’s slow to wake and armed for bear he needs more talking about.

I sure don’t need lecturing about my supposed emotions. It’s a big fat distraction.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Fred brought up Joe as an important person/figure. Someone who votes. Someone we should respect.

If he’s a driving force that’s slow to wake and armed for bear he needs more talking about.

I sure don’t need lecturing about my supposed emotions. It’s a big fat distraction.
    no doubt that's true of any of us...

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    At an easy guess, (and having prior understanding of older terms such as Joe Bloggs) the name Joe Sixpack will be a demographical name for a character which the owners wish the public to become attached to.
    Some may call it, just your ordinary average everyday 'bloke'. Others might want to pin associations to the persona, make him identifiable with certain groups of voters.
    Now because everyone loves a well written dramatic story, these personalities can now be used to attempt to sway opinion.
    It has been proven many times that a nice story with characters people can relate to will always gain much more traction than a story not embellished with emotional hooks.
    One of the better ways to get a Joe Bloggs to have wide spread appeal is to be fairly vague about the character's specifics but promote hints of luring likeable traits. For example, Six pack might mean beer, or it might mean toned abdominal muscles. Those two different definitions as example are a key part of the function of ambiguity. You can rope in both the beer guzzlers AND the gym bunnies.
    And then, on top of that, or once the audience has been sufficiently compromised by their own short-sightedness and desire, you can tell them pretty much anything you like and they will lap it up, thinking they haven't been forgotten and they belong to a family.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Oh, I see now it really is meant to mean six pack of beer. Groans.
    I do have to say, I don't particularly 'like' that demographic...
    So the persona they are trying to promote is the alcoholic male sloth?
    The dumb working slave type that medicates on state approved drugs?
    What/why is it that you Americans have to listen to this guy about?
    Is he going to tell you all why he gets drunk every day and has spent his whole life perpetuating the slave mentality and fostering belief in countless bigoted and prejudiced ideals?
    Man if I had a government trying to talk about Joke Suxpuke I'd probably immigrate. It is bad enough when just some Joe Bloggs tries to preach this shite.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), GraceKB (8th April 2018), Mahakasyapa (15th April 2018), Wind (8th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Oh, so now it was meant to just mean the average sleeping blue collar MALE, who supposedly should be romanticised for his ineffective participation. He should be held in great esteem for quietly continuing to be a slave and distracting himself with beer. He should be respected for helping to perpetuate along with other generations, the landscape we see.
    He was so cool and stoic when he said nothing about this that or the other. People should respect his stupidity and his ability to distract himself with beer and get up every morning reciting his mantras to keep himself thinking he's doing good.

Hurrah for the blue collar MALE worker who settled for mediocrity and failed to stand up for truth and justice and all sorts of things which he has quietly let slip past because of his inability to actually stand up and be counted.

Yeah GO JOE you rock.

Why is this stereotype being trucked out here? and I guess elsewhere?
    What is the point being made about old Joe Gonowhere?
    I mean, there's the attempt to emotionally tag to the "Blue collar worker running the nation" idea.
    That's convenient cherry picking, because as I have candidly outlined, Joe is no more a hero than anyone, most likely less so.
    So what is the whole point behind bringing up Joe? Is this still all because someone mentioned guns 3 months ago and Fred is still peaking about it and trying to come in here and grumble about it, seemingly finger pointing at people here for some form of emotional release?

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Mahakasyapa (15th April 2018), Wind (8th April 2018)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Joe Six Pack is a bit of a prejorative term to describe blue collar workers. It implies that those who work in the trades are devoid of culture and refinement and their entertainment is limited to beer.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018), Mahakasyapa (15th April 2018), Wind (8th April 2018)