Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Six Pack

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Joe Six Pack is a bit of a prejorative term to describe blue collar workers. It implies that those who work in the trades are devoid of culture and refinement and their entertainment is limited to beer.
    Right. See that's the one that's making it a bit confusing to me as to where the name is trying to point to when used.
    ...anyway.

Still.. the universal Joe. Or is it international Joe... Average. What are he and Josephine going to do?

They are great to attach emotional appeals to, like images of the battler or various stokers of the boilers that keep the cogs turning. The unthanked and owed..The model citizen.. such mileage to be made by bringing them into the broadcast!

:-D

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Elen (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Joe Six Pack is a bit of a prejorative term to describe blue collar workers. It implies that those who work in the trades are devoid of culture and refinement and their entertainment is limited to beer.
    Dude! We also like NASCAR, WWE, and football (but not that candyass Euro crap also known as Soccer).

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018), Mahakasyapa (15th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    They are great to attach emotional appeals to, like images of the battler or various stokers of the boilers that keep the cogs turning. The unthanked and owed..The model citizen.. such mileage to be made by bringing them into the broadcast!
    Read into it what you will, I'll stick with the dictionary definition. He is none of those things fresh from your vivid imagination, he's just the average working man. No more no less. I brought Joe up in passing, as he is often overlooked, and looked down upon (as nicely demonstrated here by the way), by the more elite types. Until it's time for politicians on both sides to pander for his vote that is. Other than that he is just the forgotten man.

If you want to know what the big deal about him is, why not ask this out of control moderator why she is so damn triggered by the mere mention of him *one time*, and *one time only*. Oh, and I never said he was armed for bear. But man o man it sure makes for great drama...

Other than that, I think my business here is done for a while (call it running away if it continues to suite this ongoing narrative). Rather than trying to fit in to a setting I can no longer relate to, except of course for the continued study of forums in general, I'm heading down the pub to have a few beers and shoot some 8 ball with Joe and company.

Please carry on.

Cheers
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Read into it what you will, I'll stick with the dictionary definition. He is none of those things fresh from your vivid imagination, he's just the average working man. No more no less. I brought Joe up in passing, as he is often overlooked, and looked down upon (as nicely demonstrated here by the way), by the more elite types. Until it's time for politicians on both sides to pander for his vote that is. Other than that he is just the forgotten man.

If you want to know what the big deal about him is, why not ask this out of control moderator why she is so damn triggered by the mere mention of him *one time*, and *one time only*. Oh, and I never said he was armed for bear. But man o man it sure makes for great drama...

Other than that, I think my business here is done for a while (call it running away if it continues to suite this ongoing narrative). Rather than trying to fit in to a setting I can no longer relate to, except of course for the continued study of forums in general, I'm heading down the pub to have a few beers and shoot some 8 ball with Joe and company.

Please carry on.

Cheers
    Fred, don’t leave! By abandoning the field, it amounts to letting them win and your valued view in this direction will go unfiiled.

I’m serious. We all have a function here.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018), Mahakasyapa (15th April 2018), WantDisclosure (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post
    Dude!
    Um, the eight-armed one is a dudette, Lego Batman.

We also like NASCAR, WWE, and football (but not that candyass Euro crap also known as Soccer).
    I happen to seriously dislike soccer, but what you guys call football is only a sissy version of rugby — "sissy" because of all the body armor your American football players wear.

I've tried to stay out of this debate, but that would be my definition of Joe Sixpack as well: the common man, appealed unto at election time and forgotten about again as soon as the elections are over.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018), Wind (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Dude! Football is ALL about the armor. Sexy looking and generates more violent hits! I don’t even want to talk about those homoerotic rugby shorts...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (11th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Dude! Football is ALL about the armor. Sexy looking and generates more violent hits! I don’t even want to talk about those homoerotic rugby shorts...

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Oh, I see now it really is meant to mean six pack of beer. Groans.
    I do have to say, I don't particularly 'like' that demographic...
    So the persona they are trying to promote is the alcoholic male sloth?
    The dumb working slave type that medicates on state approved drugs?
    What/why is it that you Americans have to listen to this guy about?
    Is he going to tell you all why he gets drunk every day and has spent his whole life perpetuating the slave mentality and fostering belief in countless bigoted and prejudiced ideals?
    Man if I had a government trying to talk about Joke Suxpuke I'd probably immigrate. It is bad enough when just some Joe Bloggs tries to preach this shite.
    that's hilarious Nothing, but that is part of the persona, I think you are hitting on the ambiguity of the term and making good points about them...

Oh, so now it was meant to just mean the average sleeping blue collar MALE, who supposedly should be romanticised for his ineffective participation. He should be held in great esteem for quietly continuing to be a slave and distracting himself with beer. He should be respected for helping to perpetuate along with other generations, the landscape we see.
    He was so cool and stoic when he said nothing about this that or the other. People should respect his stupidity and his ability to distract himself with beer and get up every morning reciting his mantras to keep himself thinking he's doing good.

Hurrah for the blue collar MALE worker who settled for mediocrity and failed to stand up for truth and justice and all sorts of things which he has quietly let slip past because of his inability to actually stand up and be counted.

Yeah GO JOE you rock.

Why is this stereotype being trucked out here? and I guess elsewhere?
    What is the point being made about old Joe Gonowhere?
    I mean, there's the attempt to emotionally tag to the "Blue collar worker running the nation" idea.
    That's convenient cherry picking, because as I have candidly outlined, Joe is no more a hero than anyone, most likely less so.
    So what is the whole point behind bringing up Joe? Is this still all because someone mentioned guns 3 months ago and Fred is still peaking about it and trying to come in here and grumble about it, seemingly finger pointing at people here for some form of emotional release?
    That's close to the truth...conditions, conditions create this circumstance, but in a real sense someone has to fill the role. Sort of analogous to herbivores filling the ecological niche as food. Therein lies the circumstance that invites sympathy. It's tough in a real sense being a Joe Six-Pack.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), enjoy being (8th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Illustrated a few versions of 'Joe' for the cause. The still slurred version of a 'common' person. (man this is like pulling teeth)
    The same old rhetoric. A reality which most people can see a mile away. The common, (western?) person.
    Never mind the sixpack descriptor. We'll just go with the well used Joe Average. For whatever reason. Which is still what I am wondering. Joe Soapbox? Joe Cliche? Joe Popcorn?
    And within each integer between average to elite we have dirt bags and diamonds amongst all so called divisions.
    Divisions are so easy to make eh, especially when people want to play up to it with tantrums and lockouts.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018)

Thanks

Please carry on.

Cheers
    cmon' Fred, you are not alone here...I was considered one of the best 8-ball shooters in the town that I grew up. Actually, at one time I considered going pro...I got a job instead.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (8th April 2018), enjoy being (11th April 2018)

Thanks
    Oh, I see now it really is meant to mean six pack of beer. Groans.
    I do have to say, I don't particularly 'like' that demographic...
    So the persona they are trying to promote is the alcoholic male sloth?
    The dumb working slave type that medicates on state approved drugs?
    What/why is it that you Americans have to listen to this guy about?
    Is he going to tell you all why he gets drunk every day and has spent his whole life perpetuating the slave mentality and fostering belief in countless bigoted and prejudiced ideals?
    Man if I had a government trying to talk about Joke Suxpuke I'd probably immigrate. It is bad enough when just some Joe Bloggs tries to preach this shite.
    I love this post.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GraceKB For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (11th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    ...... It's tough in a real sense being a Joe Six-Pack.
    that's exactly the way joe 'n jo like it. just ask 'em. "i'm poor but i'm proud" 'n all that self limiting self talk...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    ... Is he going to tell you all why he gets drunk every day and has spent his whole life perpetuating the slave mentality and fostering belief in countless bigoted and prejudiced ideals?
    yup, sure is. but only indirectly cuz nobody sez poor me intentionally. and with a heavy dose of blame plastered on the end of the pointed finger.

like i said, just ask 'em...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    I concluded from this discussion that Joe sure likes his beer.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2018), enjoy being (11th April 2018), GraceKB (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    lol, joe definitely loves his beer.

Here's a funny stat...

My hometown was named the No. 1 per capita beer guzzling city in America...Back in the 60's in a Playboy article...yeah, really!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th April 2018), Dreamtimer (8th April 2018), enjoy being (11th April 2018), GraceKB (8th April 2018), Wind (8th April 2018)