Thread: Empire Files: Life Sentences for Charity Work - Free the Holy Land Five!

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts

Empire Files: Life Sentences for Charity Work - Free the Holy Land Five!

DESCRIPTION

The Holy Land Foundation Five are Palestinian political prisoners sentenced up to upwards of 65 years in US prison for providing aid to refugees.

Although no proof exists for the organization providing support for terrorism, it was targeted in the Bush administration's post-9/11 dragnet, setting an alarming precedent for activists in the US. Abby Martin sits down with an expert on the case, Miko Peled, to learn more about this little-known case.

Miko Peled is an Israeli-born activist for Palestinian rights, and the son of a famous Israeli general. He is the author of "The General’s Son: Journey of an Israeli in Palestine" and "Injustice: The Story of the Holy Land Foundation Five."

DURATION

25 minutes

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (5th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th April 2018), Elen (5th April 2018), Kathy (8th April 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    My mother told me: "You'd better suffer wrong than do wrong". She was right!

Those guys are being tested on that issue.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th April 2018), Dreamtimer (5th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th April 2018), Kathy (8th April 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I'm more and more concerned about the 'doing wrong' way outweighing the 'suffering wrong' on the part of my nation. We're supposed to be the 'doing right' country.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th April 2018), Elen (5th April 2018), Kathy (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I'm more and more concerned about the 'doing wrong' way outweighing the 'suffering wrong' on the part of my nation. We're supposed to be the 'doing right' country.
    But that has never been the case, has it? When the US was founded, slavery was still en vogue, even.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (5th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th April 2018), Elen (5th April 2018), Kathy (8th April 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I don't want you to carry that burden all by yourself, Dreamtimer...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th April 2018), Dreamtimer (5th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th April 2018), Kathy (8th April 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Slavery is still at the heart of the issue. The Voting Rights Act has been damaged. Black people aren't stupid, they can see the writing on the wall.

The ideas of race and intelligence are being pushed again, the Bell Curve book is being talked about again. People are looking for biological excused for their prejudices.

And at the same time, the same people have been literally blocking the Centers for Disease Control from studying gun violence, studying marijuana's medical uses, and on.

Here's an example of how long this general stupidity has been going on:

In the 90s, in the District of Columbia, people voted on legalizing marijuana. Since the Congress controls the District, they wouldn't let the vote stand. They wouldn't even let them count the vote at first.

It was a Republican Congress and they were acting like a moralistic Nanny who knows the only values that matter. And they haven't changed.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th April 2018), Elen (5th April 2018), Kathy (8th April 2018)