Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grace Slick in a Recent Interview

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,305 Posts

Grace Slick in a Recent Interview

I'm working on music that I'm singing as part of a choral group that gives free concerts, and one of the songs is "Somebody to Love," lyrics by Darby Slick and music by Jefferson Airplane.

I always like to look up the lyrics to any song to find out what they literally are, as well as something about the theme.

There is a great website, Songfacts.com, for doing this because it gives information that is right on point, and embeds YouTube videos of whoever made the song a hit.

I was so enthralled with Grace Slick's voice I had to pause and look for an interview of her.

This video is the result of my search:

Creative Worx MPC
    Published on Feb 6, 2015

© 2002, 2015 all rights reserved Creative Worx MPC
    Producers: Jack Edward Sawyers - Dave Weiderman
    Interviewer: Frankie DiVita
    Cam Op: Lenny Dodge

Last edited by WantDisclosure, 4th April 2018 at 15:49. Reason: Correction of information

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (11th March 2018), Elen (11th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), modwiz (11th March 2018), Wind (11th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Wow, she’s older than I and still has great skin, hardly any lines. If she darkened her hair, she’d look in her 40s.

Incredible voice, distinctive, powerful. “White Rabbit” is a classic, with buried anti-war references.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Elen (11th March 2018), modwiz (11th March 2018), WantDisclosure (11th March 2018), Wind (11th March 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post
    Incredible voice, distinctive, powerful.
    Here's the embedded video that grabbed me, for her voice but not all the other stuff:

mdnsmo
    Published on Apr 28, 2007

Jefferson Airplane - Sombody to love with a clip made with extracts of fear and loathing in Las Vegas.

Here's the blurb summarizing the theme of the song:

San Francisco in the mid-'60s was the epicenter of free love, but Darby Slick saw a downside to this ethos, as it could lead to jealousy and disconnect. This song champions loyalty and monogamy, as the singer implores us to find that one true love that will nurture us and get us through the tough times.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1251

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (11th March 2018), Elen (11th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), Wind (11th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Both Grace and some of the original band members were still rocking on in the mid-to-late 1980s. The band had already been renamed from The Jefferson Airplane to The Jefferson Starship first, and then it was renamed again to just Starship.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (11th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), WantDisclosure (11th March 2018)

Thanks
    The Wikipedia article points out:

. . . Slick publicly has acknowledged her alcoholism, discussed her rehabilitation experiences, and commented on her use of LSD, marijuana, and other substances in her autobiography, various interviews, and several celebrity addiction and recovery books, including The Courage to Change by Dennis Wholey and The Harder They Fall by Gary Stromberg and Jane Merrill. . .

. . . After retiring, and after a house fire, divorce, and breakup, Slick began drawing and painting animals, mainly to amuse herself and because doing so made her happy during a difficult period in her life.[38] Soon thereafter, she was approached about writing her memoir, which ultimately became Somebody to Love? A Rock-and-Roll Memoir. Her agent saw her artwork and asked her to do some portraits of some of her various contemporaries from the rock-and-roll genre to be included in the autobiography. Hesitant at first (because she thought “it was way too cute. Rock-n-Roll draws Rock-n-Roll”), she eventually agreed because she found she enjoyed it, and color renditions of Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Jerry Garcia appeared in the completed autobiography. . .

Grace Slick.jpg
    Grace Slick in 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Slick

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (11th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post
    “White Rabbit” is a classic, with buried anti-war references.
    Here are the lyrics:

One pill makes you larger
    And one pill makes you small
    And the ones that mother gives you
    Don't do anything at all

Go ask Alice
    When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
    And you know you're going to fall
    Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
    Has given you the call

Call Alice
    When she was just small

When the men on the chessboard
    Get up and tell you where to go
    And you've just had some kind of mushroom
    And your mind is moving low

Go ask Alice
    I think she'll know

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
    And the white knight is talking backwards
    And the red queen's off with her head
    Remember what the dormouse said
    Feed your head
    Feed your head

Writer/s: GRACE WING SLICK
    Publisher: Universal Music Publishing Group
    Lyrics licensed and provided by LyricFind

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?lyrics=1250
    Regarding the meaning:

This was written by Grace Slick, who based the lyrics on Lewis Carroll's book Alice In Wonderland. Like many young musicians in San Francisco, Slick did a lot of drugs, and she saw a surfeit of drug references in Carroll's book, including the pills, the smoking caterpillar, the mushroom, and lots of other images that are pretty trippy. She noticed that many children's stories involve a substance of some kind that alters reality, and felt it was time to write a song about it.

. . . Grace Slick was raised in a tony suburban household in Palo Alto, California, about 30 miles south of San Francisco. This being the 1950s, women were expected to conform to the norms and aspire to be housewives. Slick identified with Alice; moving to San Francisco and forming a rock band was her rabbit hole moment. When she joined Jefferson Airplane, that was another journey down the rabbit hole.

. . . Slick claimed to Q that the song was aimed not at the young but their parents. She said: "They'd read us all these stories where you'd take some kind of chemical and have a great adventure. Alice in Wonderland is blatant; she gets literally high, too big for the room, while the caterpillar sits on a psychedelic mushroom smoking opium. In the Wizard of Oz, they land in a field of opium poppies, wake up and see this Emerald City. Peter Pan? Sprinkle some white dust-cocaine-on your head and you can fly."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1250

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (12th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Grace Slick the artist:

“As far as I can determine at this point, creation is taking place constantly and my life is a result of and pursuit of that process. Sometimes the form is music; sometimes it is giving birth to another human being, or maybe just sitting and appreciating a sunset. Simply watching beauty helps it “exist”.

At this time in my evolution, painting is the way “it” wants to take shape. I create with the help of that massive system of energy that permeates everything and allows it to be distributed for free. As a conduit, I am occasionally quite clear – but as a beginner, the results can be technically raw.

When I am in the process of painting “ I “ am gone – to a place that relieves me of trivia and encourages the expression of a more vibrant existence. It (painting) is a still form. Unlike film, the movement has to be implied on the canvas and translated to you by way of a mutual and basic recognition.

When I see a work of art that raises my own level of appreciation, it becomes propulsion that, in turn, moves me into the creative continuum. By receiving my work you complete the celebration”

Untitled.jpg

http://www.areaarts.com/grace-slick/

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (12th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by KeepTrying View Post
    I'm working on music that I'm singing as part of a choral group that gives free concerts, and one of the songs is "Somebody to Love," words and music by Darby Slick.

I always like to look up the lyrics to any song to find out what they literally are, as well as something about the theme.

There is a great website, Songfacts.com, for doing this because it gives information that is right on point, and embeds YouTube videos of whoever made the song a hit.

I was so enthralled with Grace Slick's voice I had to pause and look for an interview of her.

This video is the result of my search:
    you see... LSD is great for the skin...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (12th March 2018), WantDisclosure (12th March 2018), Wind (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    you see... LSD is great for the skin...
    I've been thinking about her use of drugs, which then makes me remember information I've learned about the CIA's role pushing drugs, and it is disturbing.

But there is something about the persona of Grace Slick as she comes across in that interview, and something about that voice, that is very appealing, in my opinion. She seems very genuine.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (12th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), Wind (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,263 Times in 7,198 Posts
    This story made me laugh when Grace told about it in one of her interviews.

https://blogs.weta.org/boundarystone...resident-nixon

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (12th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), WantDisclosure (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Ah if only...

I would not push drugs on anyone. And people have been consuming mind altering substances for as long as we know. It's often part of religious ritual. It seems to be part of humanity.

Addiction is a very different thing from having done drugs at some point or other.

Grace Slick's voice is amazing. They made some great music.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (12th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), WantDisclosure (12th March 2018), Wind (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    This story made me laugh when Grace told about it in one of her interviews.

When I first read it—not on that website—I cringed because I thought it was such an obnoxious thing to do.

But it is funny to me now, I guess because I appreciate her overall worth as a person after working on this thread.

I like this quote:

Slick remembered the story fondly when asked about it by the Wall Street Journal in 2011, but she expressed mixed feelings about embracing the drug culture of the time.

“LSD was new then,” she said. “It opened up our heads and gave us new insight into the fact that reality isn’t just one thing. That excited us. But it’s also terrifying if your head isn’t in the right place. So in hindsight, our advocating for LSD was kind of dangerous.”[6]

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (12th March 2018), Elen (12th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), Wind (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    In university, I played a lot of ping pong. One of our pong buddies got high on acid one night, had a bad trip, and went out to the interstate, jumped off a bridge into an oncoming truck.

...so yeah, LSD is “kinda” dangerous.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (12th March 2018), Elen (13th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), WantDisclosure (12th March 2018), Wind (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,263 Times in 7,198 Posts
    A person I know got cured from their depression with the help of LSD, with one trip.

That's just another story. There's always good and bad sides to everything.

I still think the idea of Nixon tripping on acid is absolutely hilarious.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (13th March 2018), Elen (13th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), WantDisclosure (12th March 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    A fellow was just commenting on the modern day 'hippies' that are on the food conscious band wagon, gluten free, vegan, you name it, but quite a few will still hook into the acid and ecstasy in the weekend.
    It seems that many of the old acid and heroin bands are revered in nostalgia and apparent lyrical insight.
    Where as I often will hear the same sorts rubbish soul reggae and throw it all into the same basket and make fun of it or dismiss it with some comment about wacky backy. To me, the lyrics of many reggae artists a packed with insightful wisdom.
    Oh and I do find the Jefferson Airplane song, White Rabbit to be an entertaining sequence of rifts. Not so hot on their other stuff.

Oh, and here is another 70 year old. Marina Abramovic. But some people say she looks so young probably from drinking blood of human babies.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2018), Dreamtimer (13th March 2018), Elen (13th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2018), WantDisclosure (12th March 2018), Wind (12th March 2018)