Thread: A Fine Example of Sensationalist Misinformation

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts

Lightbulb A Fine Example of Sensationalist Misinformation

A few days ago, I wrote a cynical comment here on the forum with regard to a scaremongering video on YouTube — uploaded by a guy who calls himself Leak Project — regarding 5G as a technology allegedly designed to induce mind control in people through the manipulation of the Schumann resonances, and just as allegedly controlled by an artificial intelligence in the service of the New World Order™ — none of which is true, and none of which makes any sense to anyone who knows a thing or two about science.

My comment — harsh as it was — immediately drew criticism and indignation from a couple of our members, which then prompted me to write this long rant here. But my words aren't even cold yet, and look at this fresh sensationalist and scaremongering video below from a YouTuber who calls themselves StrangerThanFiction.

Scary, innit? Except that it's a hoax. In fact, it's a marketing stunt by Netflix, as you can read in the following article from the news website THE WRAP...:

Source: THE WRAP

Netflix Really Wants You To Believe #PsychaSec is Real

Just one day into CES 2018 and the future of technology is already pretty spooky.

Wandering through the seemingly never-ending Las Vegas Convention Center on Tuesday, it was hard to miss the crowd gathered around around the “PsychaSec” display. Hosts draped in all-white were showing off two artificial bodies that, “in a few years,” humans could pay to trade their own crappy body for. At the same time, the host touted the company’s ability to plant chips into a person’s head and download every experience and memory they’ve had.

Sounds pretty trippy, right? Unfortunately, PsychaSec isn’t real. But even the CIA would’ve had a hard time getting the booth hosts to admit it.

After hearing a bit of the spiel, I pulled one of the “employees” to the side and started asking questions: Where are you guys based out of? Why hasn’t anyone heard a thing about your company before? When would this crazy tech hit the market? And, how come no one is acknowledging the Netflix logo on the side of the booth?

The cheery young woman dodged them all, saying they’re “based in several locations,” and reiterated this will be available in a few years. She said the “sleeves” — the artificial bodies — would be good for someone with “scrawny arms” looking to step into a more muscular body if they wanted one, as she continued to dodge the Netflix question.

Shuffling away to the media room, I searched for Netflix and Pyschasec on my phone. As it turns out, the streaming giant is launching a new show, “Altered Carbon,” in February, based on a sci-fi novel where rich humans can essentially stay alive forever by buying new sleeves. I pulled out the CES media guide and couldn’t find PsychaSec listed as an exhibitor. By this point, I felt incredibly gullible for letting the “employee” talk to me like it was a real company for five minutes, so I turned around, set on getting one of them to just acknowledge the Netflix tie-in.

As I walked back to the booth, one of the guys watching the introductory breakdown muttered to his friend “this seems like a scam.” He wasn’t far off. I pulled aside another tall, attractive young host and told her just give me the truth: this is just a cool ad for Netflix. She kept smiling and towed the “it’ll be out in a few years” line. I then pointed out gullible people, like me, were walking away confused because they were displayed next to real products and wouldn’t acknowledge Netflix at all. Finally, I got her to give me a wink, confirming it’s all a put-on. Thank you.

If the show’s actors are half as good as the CES presenters, it’ll walk away with a dozen Emmys and Golden Globes next year.

Furthermore, in the description for this video, StrangerThanFiction wrote...:

Quote Originally posted by StrangerThanFiction
    This Is BEYOND CRAZY! Psychasec Company Is Creating HUMANOID/CLONE Organic SLEEVES For Humans To LIVE IN! To Transfer Your Memories & Consciousness Into This NEW BODY! TRANSHUMANISM At It`s Finest! And It`s Pushing This AGENDA Really Hard With New Sci-Fi/Futuristic Movies! Like Blade Runner 2049 & Tv Series Altered Carbon!
    The emphasis with bold red in the above quote is mine. Or if I have to spell it out for you, in spite of the alarmist all-uppercase accentuation by StrangerThanFiction, this person was already aware of the existence of the upcoming "Altered Carbon" series on Netflix. And yet he/she is still trying to get people to believe that this stuff is real.

But in the end, the last few words StrangerThanFiction posted in the description for their video say it all, don't they?

Quote Originally posted by StrangerThanFiction
    Be Sure to Like, Share & Subscribe for MORE Content in the Future
    That's what it's all about, folks: more "likes" and more subscribers means more monetizing options for their channel.

We rests our cases, Preciousss.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (8th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (9th March 2018), Elen (8th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th March 2018), enjoy being (8th March 2018), modwiz (8th March 2018), Woody (8th March 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    As you watch it you can see it is basically satire, made for a few possible purposes...would have happily said it was a performance in an art gallery.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th March 2018), Dreamtimer (8th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (9th March 2018), Elen (8th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th March 2018), Woody (8th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    A few days ago, I wrote a cynical comment here on the forum with regard to a scaremongering video on YouTube — uploaded by a guy who calls himself Leak Project — regarding 5G as a technology allegedly designed to induce mind control in people through the manipulation of the Schumann resonances, and just as allegedly controlled by an artificial intelligence in the service of the New World Order™ — none of which is true, and none of which makes any sense to anyone who knows a thing or two about science.

My comment — harsh as it was — immediately drew criticism and indignation from a couple of our members, which then prompted me to write this long rant here. But my words aren't even cold yet, and look at this fresh sensationalist and scaremongering video below from a YouTuber who calls themselves StrangerThanFiction.

Scary, innit? Except that it's a hoax. In fact, it's a marketing stunt by Netflix, as you can read in the following article from the news website THE WRAP...:

Netflix Really Wants You To Believe #PsychaSec is Real

Just one day into CES 2018 and the future of technology is already pretty spooky.

Wandering through the seemingly never-ending Las Vegas Convention Center on Tuesday, it was hard to miss the crowd gathered around around the “PsychaSec” display. Hosts draped in all-white were showing off two artificial bodies that, “in a few years,” humans could pay to trade their own crappy body for. At the same time, the host touted the company’s ability to plant chips into a person’s head and download every experience and memory they’ve had.

Sounds pretty trippy, right? Unfortunately, PsychaSec isn’t real. But even the CIA would’ve had a hard time getting the booth hosts to admit it.

After hearing a bit of the spiel, I pulled one of the “employees” to the side and started asking questions: Where are you guys based out of? Why hasn’t anyone heard a thing about your company before? When would this crazy tech hit the market? And, how come no one is acknowledging the Netflix logo on the side of the booth?

The cheery young woman dodged them all, saying they’re “based in several locations,” and reiterated this will be available in a few years. She said the “sleeves” — the artificial bodies — would be good for someone with “scrawny arms” looking to step into a more muscular body if they wanted one, as she continued to dodge the Netflix question.

Shuffling away to the media room, I searched for Netflix and Pyschasec on my phone. As it turns out, the streaming giant is launching a new show, “Altered Carbon,” in February, based on a sci-fi novel where rich humans can essentially stay alive forever by buying new sleeves. I pulled out the CES media guide and couldn’t find PsychaSec listed as an exhibitor. By this point, I felt incredibly gullible for letting the “employee” talk to me like it was a real company for five minutes, so I turned around, set on getting one of them to just acknowledge the Netflix tie-in.

As I walked back to the booth, one of the guys watching the introductory breakdown muttered to his friend “this seems like a scam.” He wasn’t far off. I pulled aside another tall, attractive young host and told her just give me the truth: this is just a cool ad for Netflix. She kept smiling and towed the “it’ll be out in a few years” line. I then pointed out gullible people, like me, were walking away confused because they were displayed next to real products and wouldn’t acknowledge Netflix at all. Finally, I got her to give me a wink, confirming it’s all a put-on. Thank you.

If the show’s actors are half as good as the CES presenters, it’ll walk away with a dozen Emmys and Golden Globes next year.

Furthermore, in the description for this video, StrangerThanFiction wrote...:

The emphasis with bold red in the above quote is mine. Or if I have to spell it out for you, in spite of the alarmist all-uppercase accentuation by StrangerThanFiction, this person was already aware of the existence of the upcoming "Altered Carbon" series on Netflix. And yet he/she is still trying to get people to believe that this stuff is real.

But in the end, the last few words StrangerThanFiction posted in the description for their video say it all, don't they?

That's what it's all about, folks: more "likes" and more subscribers means more monetizing options for their channel.

We rests our cases, Preciousss.
    A scene from Blade Runner 2049 ... she can fix me anytime ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th March 2018), Dreamtimer (8th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (9th March 2018), Elen (8th March 2018), Woody (8th March 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 295 Posts
    The idea is: Follow the money, to put it simply.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gale Frierson For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th March 2018), Dreamtimer (8th March 2018), Elen (9th March 2018), Emil El Zapato (8th March 2018), Woody (8th March 2018)