Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: The Psychology of Self-Actualization

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Seriously, you really would almost have to be a narcissist to be an alt-community celebrity. That's how I see it anyway.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Kathy (12th March 2019), Wind (10th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    good points but don't you think in a broader sense that a 'Messiah complex' would be very much in the same form and fashion as narcissism.
    No, not quite. I realize that it may seem confusing if you go by someone's words alone, but there is a clear distinction. A person with a Messiah complex feels that they have a responsibility to fix whatever's going wrong. A narcissist on the other hand will always do whatever garners them admiration from others, and if it's a psychopathic narcissist, then they don't even care whether what they do is right or wrong, so long as it gets them a following of some sorts.

Actually, the Messiah Complex is considered more of a 'paranoid' style manifestation.
    It's not related to paranoia, but it is generally considered a delusion nevertheless, yes.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Kathy (12th March 2019), Wind (10th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    ok, you win... You obviously know more about the Messiah Complex from sheer exposure...
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 6th March 2019 at 14:15.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (7th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts
    ok, you win... You obviously know more about the Messiah Complex from sheer exposure...
    I understand that some experiences like NDEs can give the sense of access to all knowledge and some people "return" from such a spiritually transformative expereince with insights. The paradox or irony or whatever it might be called is that in most cases when someone really knows at a cosmic level, what seems to be most commonly reported is taking the importance back to essence or substance level VERSUS the spectacle. The majority of reports I hear and read seem to be a KNOWING that spirit is what is REAL and this material world is secondary.

From what I understand about narcisssism, the essential substantial INNER structure is STUNTED or at least not very accessed so there is tremendous lack. The experience of true self love does not need to be constantly trumped up (deliberate haha) by external supply of whatever. That is why I have been on the track for years of saying IMO what is called narcissism is not irreparable at all. HOWEVER, it being a new kind of issue in modern times, the process of existential alienation which produced the inability to access the core beingness is NOt A RETURN to some previous social milieu. IMO it is calling us TOWARDS a new experience of being.

It is my opinion that I am a recovering narcissist because I was raised by people with this issue. What really helped me was to connect with a sense of something that loves me no matter what. This is not RELIGION. I feel I accessed my own inner being. It does not need anyone to validate. I also don't think anyone can save anyone else. Maybe it is something in 21st century where having plumbed the extreme of separation, one just collapses and MAYBE then one has what I will call A NEAR LIFE EXPERIENCE where we just KNOW we are not empty vessals which must prop up a facade?

What I love about my life is accessing people with information which opens my mind more and I love that this reality is full of amazing opportunity.

Listening to this as I write...consciousness comes first

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sops5srXmmE
    Last edited by Maggie, 6th March 2019 at 16:39.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (7th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Kathy (12th March 2019), Wind (10th March 2019)

Thanks
    In the video above, Melvin Morse referenced Mario Beauregard. I think this is a really good article....

The New Science of Consciousness: Toward the Next Great Scientific Revolution
    At last, we are reaching a tipping point.
    By Dr. Mario Beauregard

Introduction

In the 1960s, historian and philosopher of science Thomas Kuhn published a book titled The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, which became very influential in both academic and popular circles. In this book, Kuhn proposed that paradigms—theoretical frameworks of scientific disciplines within which theories are formulated and experiments performed—can and should change because sooner or later, they fail to explain observed phenomena.

According to Kuhn, when anomalies—experimental observations or other empirical evidence which violates the widely accepted theoretical framework—that the paradigm cannot accommodate accumulate, and persistent efforts by scientists fail to elucidate these anomalies, the scientific community begins to lose confidence in the dominant paradigm and a crisis period ensues. A new paradigm, competing with the old for supremacy, can now be entertained. This new paradigm is not just an extension of the old paradigm, but a completely different worldview.

With regard to the study of consciousness, the currently reigning paradigm, known as scientific materialism (or simply materialism), erroneously claims that everything is material (i.e. made up exclusively of physical matter) and that all phenomena are the result of purely material interactions. This worldview implies that mind and consciousness—and all that we subjectively experience (e.g. our memories, emotions, goals, and spiritual epiphanies)—are identical with or can be reduced to electrical and chemical processes in the brain. Another implication of the materialist paradigm is that our thoughts and intentions cannot have any effect upon our brains and bodies, our actions, and the physical world, since the mind cannot directly affect at a distance physical and biological systems. In other words, we human beings are nothing but complex biophysical machines. As a result, our consciousness and personality automatically vanish when we die.

Materialism has more or less dominated science and the academic word for centuries, despite the fact that many of the leading pioneers in modern science have either implicitly or explicitly rejected it. This dominance has seriously constricted the sciences and hampered the development of the study of mind, consciousness, and spirituality. Furthermore, faith in this paradigm as an exclusive explanatory framework for reality has compelled many scientists to neglect certain aspects of the subjective dimension of human experience. This has led to a severely distorted and impoverished understanding of ourselves and our place in nature.

The Evidence Challenging Scientific Materialism

There is mounting evidence that the materialist paradigm is obsolete. For instance, studies of the so-called “psi phenomena” (e.g. telepathy, clairvoyance, precognition) indicate that we can sometimes receive meaningful information without the use of ordinary senses, and in ways that transcend the habitual space and time constraints. Furthermore, psi research demonstrates that we can mentally influence—at a distance—physical devices and living organisms (including other human beings). Research also shows that distant minds may behave in ways that are nonlocally correlated, i.e. the correlations between distant minds are hypothesized to be unmediated (they are not linked to any known energetic signal), unmitigated (they do not degrade with increasing distance), and immediate (they appear to be simultaneous). Psi phenomena are so common that they cannot be viewed as anomalous nor as exceptions to natural laws, but as indications of the need for a broader explanatory framework that cannot be predicated on materialism.

Moreover, conscious mental activity can be experienced in clinical death during a cardiac arrest (this is what has been called a “near-death experience” [NDE]). Some near-death experiencers (NDErs) have reported veridical out-of-body perceptions (i.e. perceptions that can be proven to coincide with reality) that occurred during cardiac arrest. NDErs also report profound spiritual experiences during NDEs triggered by cardiac arrest. It is noteworthy that the electrical activity of the brain ceases within a few seconds following a cardiac arrest.

In other respects, controlled laboratory experiments have documented that skilled research mediums (people who claim that they can communicate with the minds of people who have physically died) can sometimes obtain highly accurate information about deceased individuals. Additionally, as in the case of mediumship research, reincarnation research also supports the conclusion that mind can exist separate from the brain.

Likewise, quantum physics (QP) convincingly refutes scientific materialism. Indeed, QP has called into question the material foundations of the world by showing that atoms and subatomic particles are not really objects—they do not exist with certainty at definite spatial locations and definite times. Rather, they show “tendencies to exist,” forming a world of potentialities within the quantum domain. Moreover, physicists have discovered that particles being observed and the observer—the physicist and the method used for observation—are somehow linked, and the results of the observation seem to be influenced by the physicist’s conscious intent. This phenomenon has led towering figures of QP to propose that the consciousness of the physicist is vital to the existence of the physical events being observed, and that mental events, such as intention, can affect the physical world.

The Emerging Postmaterialist Paradigm ......... (read more here

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (7th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Wind (10th March 2019)

Thanks

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3fGnP9v_8

see the rest here

Chapters:
    00:00 Trailer.
    02:50 Brian’s thoughts on the episode.
    05:05 Brian’s introduction.
    05:54 Why Gregg loves London.
    07:00 New science refutes Darwin’s theory of human evolution, so Gregg wrote Human by Design.
    16:31 Three theories of human evolution: big bang; simulated reality; a conscious intervention of DNA.
    27:01 Higher being radiating the human consciousness through London Real in a rapidly changing world.
    35:12 We are at pivotal crossroads of making a choice as to how much of our power we give to machines.
    41:32 How far should we go, is it a mistake, has science underestimated the complexities of human nature?
    51:12 The changing world of climate, economy and human conflict are driving us to examine the way we live.
    55:14 Gregg’s courses help people to access neurons in the brain and heart for physical and mental well-being.
    1:07:45 Different forms of therapy work for different purposes.
    1:10:31 Gregg believes we have it within us to transcend anything that comes to us with our own chemistry.
    1:14:22 Gregg addresses some of the social media comments following his last London Real interview.
    1:21:30 Simulated reality, is there is a base reality from which other realities emit?
    1:29:18 Only through our deepest hurts do we reach inside of ourselves to find a greater capacity to love.
    1:36:19 Gregg’s troubled childhood and how lessons learnt from it carried into adulthood.
    1:52:50 His father died at an early age having had his own philosophy in life.
    2:01:44 His mother no longer knows him.
    2:05:27 Why he tries to create harmony rather than balance in his life.
    2:12:30 Advice to young people watching the episode.
    2:16:54 Success secrets
    2:17:21 Why his mother wouldn’t speak to him for two years.
    2:19:44 Brian’s summing up.
    https://londonreal.tv/e/gregg-braden-2/

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2019), Dreamtimer (11th March 2019), Elen (11th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2019), Kathy (12th March 2019), Wind (11th March 2019)

Thanks
    he seems like a 'together' guy...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2019), Dreamtimer (11th March 2019), Elen (11th March 2019), Kathy (12th March 2019), Wind (11th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,303 Times in 7,219 Posts
    Gregg is a great guy.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2019), Dreamtimer (12th March 2019), Elen (12th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2019), Kathy (12th March 2019)

Thanks
    ”In this video we examine how public schools and the mainstream media have contributed to the growth of a passive citizenry, thus paving the way for the rise of tyranny. We then look at the role anti-authoritarians play in a free and flourishing society.”

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th March 2019), Dreamtimer (20th March 2019), Elen (20th March 2019), Kathy (24th April 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Yeah! What can you add to that? Well said...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th March 2019), Dreamtimer (20th March 2019), Kathy (24th April 2019), Wind (20th March 2019)

Thanks
    Go Montessori. That's what we did.

Maria Montessori: Peaceful children, Peaceful world.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th March 2019), Elen (20th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (20th March 2019), Kathy (24th April 2019), Wind (20th March 2019)

Thanks

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th April 2019), Dreamtimer (25th April 2019), Elen (25th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (25th April 2019), Kathy (24th April 2019)

Thanks
    This is interesting:
    I concluded long ago that the key to happiness was to learn to tolerate the intolerable, to accept the unacceptable...and the hardest part for me is to learn to cut my losses...

My early vow to myself: To be a slave to nothing and always let compassion be my guide.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th April 2019), Dreamtimer (26th April 2019), Elen (29th April 2019), Kathy (28th April 2019), Wind (25th April 2019)

Thanks
    It's really hard to be a slave to nothing. Isn't that sort of the Buddhist goal?

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th April 2019), Elen (29th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2019), Kathy (28th April 2019), Wind (26th April 2019)

Thanks
    lol...not sure, but it was certainly mine. I did study Buddhism as a youngster because I found 'Gautama' a fascinating individual...my kind of guy...

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th April 2019), Dreamtimer (27th April 2019), Elen (29th April 2019), Kathy (28th April 2019), Wind (26th April 2019)