Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: Space weather threat: you must see this video

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    It'll get back to topic, no worries. The sun will do something fun. And we'll be talking about it again.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (26th March 2018), Elen (26th March 2018), enjoy being (26th March 2018), Kathy (30th March 2018), Wind (27th March 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    I found a snippet of mention of how rays from Cygnus can penetrate rock on Earth. Which I have read info about before.
    I guess bits of the rest of the info on the page may apply, but I first referenced it elsewhere. But noted is it is the symbol of the swan. And the eye or buckle of Orions belt. ...that's space weather huh. gamma rays capable or 'proven' to have had, the power to alter human DNA. ...though I probably would need to go refresh my memory on the info before saying much more :-D
    https://atlantisrisingmagazine.com/a...constellation/
    from midpage

NASA Discovers Cygnus X-3

In 1973, about the same time that Carl Sagan asserted that cosmic rays might have sparked human evolution, a group of international astronomers headed by NASA attempted to observe the activity of an invisible star located in the heart of the Cygnus constellation. That star, called Cygnus X-3,3 was the source of a powerful burst of X-ray activ*ity recorded from that region of the sky in 1972. These early attempts found highly unusual activity coming from the star, but the precise nature and strength of the activity wasn’t apparent until the 1980s. Underground particle accel*erators located at several spots around the world began detecting anomalous cosmic ray activity in the early 1980s, and by 1985 one particle detector had identified 60 such anomalous events. NASA researchers have repeatedly con*firmed that these cosmic rays come from Cygnus X-3. These bursts had a regular periodicity of precisely 4.79 hours and were found to be neutron particles coming from Cygnus X-3 at close to the speed of light. But because these par*ticles had to penetrate thousands of feet of solid stone to reach the detectors, they were so unique that they were con*sidered to be “exotic and unexplained.” Physicists termed these unique particles, cygnets, meaning “children of the swan.” NASA now continuously monitors Cygnus X-3, and the star is known to be a binary star with what is believed to be a neutron star at its heart. Two jets protrude from the poles of Cygnus X-3, and one of them, the source of the exotic particles, points directly at earth, something unique in this galaxy, for no other stellar body has such an al*mighty cosmic gun barrel pointing straight towards us. The jets spew out a host of cosmic particles and energy but the exact mechanism remains mysterious. Oddly, in total darkness, cosmic particles are actually visible as flashes of light as they decay in the human retina. Collins speculates that the early cave painters actually watched the decaying particles within the total darkness of the deep caves. But the major evidence between Cygnus and human evolution comes from still another branch of science.
    Last edited by enjoy being, 26th March 2018 at 08:35.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2018), Dreamtimer (26th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (26th March 2018), Elen (26th March 2018), Kathy (30th March 2018), Wind (27th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    [...] gamma rays capable or 'proven' to have had, the power to alter human DNA. [...]
    That is correct. Gamma rays are the most dangerous form of ionizing radiation. However, the magnetosphere and ionosphere are currently still protecting us from that. Out in the void of space on the other hand...
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (26th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (26th March 2018), Elen (26th March 2018), enjoy being (26th March 2018), Kathy (30th March 2018), palooka's revenge (26th March 2018), Wind (27th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Yeah. The dreaded 'gamma ray burst' would do us in. Cosmic rays are part of why the weakening magnetic shield is a concern.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2018), Dumpster Diver (26th March 2018), Elen (26th March 2018), enjoy being (27th March 2018), Kathy (30th March 2018), Wind (27th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I do know that fact too as I often like to know what the lyrics are about. Just a bit ironic, isn't it? Catchy song though.

I wonder if we have gone completely off the rails here? Perhaps this off-topic discussions could be in a thread of it's own.

My apologies for the inconvenience.
    As the originator of the thread, I see no problem. Our meanderings always seem to hit on cool things, and certainly folks need to express such.

...take that, Donk...

“Two jets protrude from the poles of Cygnus X-3, and one of them, the source of the exotic particles, points directly at earth, something unique in this galaxy, for no other stellar body has such an al*mighty cosmic gun barrel pointing straight towards us. The jets spew out a host of cosmic particles and energy but the exact mechanism remains mysterious. Oddly, in total darkness, cosmic particles are actually visible as flashes of light as they decay in the human retina.”

I don’t think this happened by chance.
    Last edited by Dumpster Diver, 26th March 2018 at 15:23.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2018), Dreamtimer (26th March 2018), Elen (26th March 2018), enjoy being (27th March 2018), Kathy (30th March 2018), Wind (27th March 2018)