Thread: Who Is Alex Tsakiris?

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,305 Posts

Who Is Alex Tsakiris?

Alex Tsakiris, host of the podcast and YouTube channel “Skeptiko,” says in his website bio:

Host Bio: Alex Tsakiris

Name:  alex-bw-head11.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  10.9 KB

Alex, host of Skeptiko and author of Why Science is Wrong… About Almost Everything, is a successful entrepreneur turned science podcaster. In 2007 he founded Skeptiko which has become the #1 podcast covering the science of human consciousness. Alex has appeared on many syndicated radio talk shows and podcasts both in the US and the UK and is well-know within the parapsychology and near-death experience research communities.
    What I would like to know is, how he made his money as an entrepeneur?

And I’m curious to know whether or not the following is true, in view of the fact that his website is a dot com?

This is from the transcript excerpt of his YouTube video “Michael Tsarion on Race, Jordan Peterson, and Why Conspiracy Work is Spiritual Work |372|”:

“I’ve reached out in the past and it’s fun to connect with people who are interested in, kind of, rolling up their sleeves and, kind of, making this project part of something on their to-do list. That’s all it is for me, it’s a passion project. Obviously, you know, I don’t make any money on this, I just spend money on it, because I think it’s important. It’s important to me and to whatever extent it contributes to the ongoing dialogue we’re all having in generating, and at the same time. being a part of. Hey, that’s great as well. So, reach out to me, let me hear from you if you’re interested in joining this community in a deeper way.”

http://skeptiko.com/michael-tsarion-...tual-work-372/
    He’s saying he’s now independently wealthy?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th February 2018), Dreamtimer (25th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (25th February 2018), Elen (27th February 2018), Juniper (26th February 2018), The One (25th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by KeepTrying View Post
    Alex Tsakiris, host of the podcast and YouTube channel “Skeptiko,” says in his website bio:

What I would like to know is, how he made his money as an entrepeneur?

And I’m curious to know whether or not the following is true, in view of the fact that his website is a dot com?

This is from the transcript excerpt of his YouTube video “Michael Tsarion on Race, Jordan Peterson, and Why Conspiracy Work is Spiritual Work |372|”:

He’s saying he’s now independently wealthy?
    Hey, I’m independently wealthy too. The GF cashes my fat Govt retirement check and gives me an allowance I can spend any way I like.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th February 2018), Dreamtimer (26th February 2018), Elen (27th February 2018), Juniper (26th February 2018), The One (25th February 2018), WantDisclosure (25th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I haven't been listening as much to Alex because he began to annoy me with the way he interrupts guests. But I check in occasionally to see who his guests are.

He had Jason Louv on, and Alex described it as one of the most contentious interviews ever.

Alex was challenging Jason, but Alex doesn't seem to know when to stop and let his guest finish responding. I had a bit of a hard time listening but I like Jason and he was good at pushing back without being rude.

I like Jason and have heard him on another show. I might start a thread for him, depending on more listening.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th August 2018), Elen (21st August 2018)

Senior Member United States Chester's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,591 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Sometimes when someone asks me that weird question, "What do you do?" I respond that I am "an explorer of the science of being."

If someone asks me today if I "believe in God" I would likely reply that I strongly gravitate to Perennialism.

If someone asked me what is my metaphysical cosmological world view I would reply that I approach life from the initial assumption put forth by Idealism but more specifically "monistic idealism."

The third of the three above statements can be directly attributed to the time I spent listening to several Skeptiko interviews. In fact, one of Alex's frequent guests is Bernardo Kastrup who is not only a writer that makes a case for Idealism versus materialism, but is a gifted scientist.

Here's his site: https://www.bernardokastrup.com/

In addition, thanks to a Skeptico interview, I discovered a most interesting yet mostly unknown writer/blogger named Jasun Horsley. Jasun has become an significant contributor to my life in many ways.

Here's his website - https://auticulture.com/

I am currently reading his book entitled Prisoner of Infinity which, for the most part, is a reflection upon Whitley Strieber and his writings. Jasun is a true, deep thinker and (in speaking for myself) has a wonderful persona rare to find active on the internet.

Jason also led me to additional materials that have increased my own familiarity with the Perennial Wisdom where I have acquired and explored works such as The System of the Antichrist: Truth and Falsehood in Postmodernism & the New Age by Charles Upton (2001) which has led me to the primary writers of traditional metaphysics, specifically Frithjof Schuon and Rene Guenon.

So I am deeply grateful to Alex Tsakiris and I felt compelled to express this here.
    All the above is all and only my opinion. It may contain some sharing of components of my current operating strategy and some foundational components of my current world view - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

It's just a ride

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGD...vgBsCHmlC13jOg

https://www.facebook.com/samhunter57

http://merlynagain.blogspot.com/

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd May 2019), Dreamtimer (23rd May 2019), Elen (24th May 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd May 2019)

Thanks
    Excellent and thanks for your great post, Sammy. I just posted an interview by Alex on another thread.

It’s always good to remember not to shoot the messenger.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd May 2019), Chester (23rd May 2019), Elen (24th May 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Been listening to the Tsakiris/Louv discussion...Tsakiris is being disingenuous. No fists flying yet...I'm waiting anxiously.

Consciousness creates all material reality. Biological processes do not create consciousness. This conceptual breakthrough turns traditional scientific thinking upside down. In An End to Upside Down Thinking, Mark Gober traces his journey – he explores compelling scientific evidence from a diverse set of disciplines, ranging from psychic phenomena, to near-death experiences, to quantum physics. With cutting-edge thinkers like two-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee Dr. Ervin Laszlo, Chief Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences Dr. Dean Radin, and New York Times bestselling author Larry Dossey, MD supporting this thesis, this book will rock the scientific community and mainstream generalists interested in understanding the true nature of reality. Today’s disarray around the globe can be linked, at its core, to a fundamental misunderstanding of our reality. This book aims to shift our collective outlook, reshaping our view of human potential and how we treat one another. The book’s implications encourage much-needed revisions in science, technology, and medicine. General readers will find comfort in the implied worldview, which will impact their happiness and everyday decisions related to business, health and politics. Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time meets Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now.

Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 24th May 2019 at 15:18.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd May 2019), Dreamtimer (30th May 2019), Elen (24th May 2019)

Thanks
    Several good scifi books:

The first book in a new post-apocalyptic trilogy from "a master of the genre"

Heather O'Grainne is the Assistant Secretary in the Office of Future Threat Assessment, investigating rumors surrounding something called "Daybreak." The group is diverse and radical, and its members have only one thing in common-their hatred for the "Big System" and their desire to take it down.

Now, seemingly random events simultaneously occurring around the world are in fact connected as part of Daybreak's plan to destroy modern civilization-a plan that will eliminate America's top government personnel, leaving the nation no choice but to implement its emergency contingency program...Directive 51.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In response to an editorial in The New York Times in which Paul Davies concluded "until science comes up with a testable theory of the laws of the universe, its claim to be free of faith is manifestly bogus,

Novella said,

It's not actually true because science is not dependent upon faith in a naturalistic world. It just follows the methods as if it is naturalistic... it is not a system of beliefs. People often ask me and they will ask you as skeptics what do you believe? Well, it's not about belief. Do you believe in ESP? It doesn't matter if I believe in ESP. The only thing that matters is what is the evidence for ESP? ...It's very important I think to present skepticism as a method of inquiry not a set of conclusions, not a set of beliefs.

Davies is brilliant...

Tsakiris is apparently incapable of holding concepts that are seemingly contradictory. It results in the inability to make transcendant connections. Serious failing in my estimation unless he is doing it for show. No prominent speaker could or would be that ignorant.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Been listening to the Tsakiris/Louv discussion...Tsakiris is being disingenous. No fists flying yet...I'm waiting anxiously.

Consciousness creates all material reality. Biological processes do not create consciousness. This conceptual breakthrough turns traditional scientific thinking upside down. In An End to Upside Down Thinking, Mark Gober traces his journey – he explores compelling scientific evidence from a diverse set of disciplines, ranging from psychic phenomena, to near-death experiences, to quantum physics. With cutting-edge thinkers like two-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee Dr. Ervin Laszlo, Chief Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences Dr. Dean Radin, and New York Times bestselling author Larry Dossey, MD supporting this thesis, this book will rock the scientific community and mainstream generalists interested in understanding the true nature of reality. Today’s disarray around the globe can be linked, at its core, to a fundamental misunderstanding of our reality. This book aims to shift our collective outlook, reshaping our view of human potential and how we treat one another. The book’s implications encourage much-needed revisions in science, technology, and medicine. General readers will find comfort in the implied worldview, which will impact their happiness and everyday decisions related to business, health and politics. Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time meets Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now.

@Not...

Hi, I am sort of confused by your post so I quoted it so you knew which one I am about to refer to.

You write the first line or so ending in "anxiously."

You then wrote (without quotes) the following section of your post which seems to be about this book you then provide a screenshot of - An End to Upside Down Thinking. I only discovered it was a copy and paste from what I found on Amazon when I looked up the book.

Because of the title, my curiosity made me investigate the book to find out which POV the writer had so as to know what he then might consider upside down. I believe I found my answer in some of the reviews but I am also now curious to read the book. I ordered it just before writing this post...

...and so, where I am confused is - I am trying to understand why you are bringing attention to this book. Have you read it? If so, are you in agreement with what I assume must be foundational to the theories the author might be putting forth in this book which is the first statement in the Amazon pitch - "Consciousness creates all material reality?"
    All the above is all and only my opinion. It may contain some sharing of components of my current operating strategy and some foundational components of my current world view - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

It's just a ride

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd May 2019), Dreamtimer (30th May 2019), Elen (24th May 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd May 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I haven't been listening as much to Alex because he began to annoy me with the way he interrupts guests. But I check in occasionally to see who his guests are.

He had Jason Louv on, and Alex described it as one of the most contentious interviews ever.

Alex was challenging Jason, but Alex doesn't seem to know when to stop and let his guest finish responding. I had a bit of a hard time listening but I like Jason and he was good at pushing back without being rude.

I like Jason and have heard him on another show. I might start a thread for him, depending on more listening.
    I now must thank you, Dreamtimer. I am at about the 26 minute mark in this particular Skeptiko discussion

"Most cultures outside of western culture interact with these realities (the otherworldly world, the "spiritual realm") on a daily basis..." and "The point of the way that I teach magick is that it's about enlightenment..." "...and psychic phenomenon and all that stuff... people often call that the astral plane and for me that's an intermediary stage, that's something to get past. And what I'm interested in is... enlightenment states. And to get to that you have to get beyond that layer of whatever it is... that hallucinatory layer because what happens is [why] people get into meditation and magick is they get to unlock that hallucinatory layer and it becomes endlessly fascinating just like TV would be but ultimately its a distraction at the end of the day and that's another place where I have to distinguish what I'm teaching from a lot of other current approaches to magick."

"Are there spirits? Can you summon them? Yes. Can you do astral travel and all these things? Yes. Is it an intermediary stage? In my opinion, yeah."

I greatly appreciated hearing this from this previously unknown (to me) individual, Jason Louv. I also recently heard a quite similar sentiment from Charles Upton (who I referred to in a a post just above) in an interview conducted by Jasun Horsley (who I also referred to above in the same post).

I appreciate hearing this for the simple reason I don't like to feel alone. This correctly implies that I had begun (and only recently) to come to the same conclusion. It is foundational to why I may no longer waste time posting about synchronicity as I group this phenomena (synchronicity) in with all other psi phenomena yet I must point out one significant distinction. The "a-ha" experience of a particular synchronicity incidence can more easily be experienced by others who are informed of the story of the particular experience (though rarely to the same degree of profundity) when presented the facts and artifacts that can be proven (or testified to by credible witnesses).

Anyways, thank you DT as I had not yet encountered this Skeptiko discussion and it turns out to be great timing I found it.

[EDIT ADDED] I am now at 30:51 and an quite annoyed with Alex. But the good news is that this guy, Jason Louv, is (for me) correct and it appears Alex cannot wrap his head around the possibility that "that which cannot be explained today scientifically, may be explained tomorrow."

This guy is really cool and he is "owning" Alex (who appears to deserve it in this interview).
    Last edited by Chester, 23rd May 2019 at 23:18.

It's just a ride

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th May 2019), Dreamtimer (30th May 2019), Elen (24th May 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd May 2019)

Thanks
    The first line was mine...and then as I was listening to the Louv interview I recognized the parallels between the Tsakiris/Louv discussion and their 'stuckness' regarding science and the spiritual. Assuming you listened to the interview you would see why I posted about this book. It is essentially a review of all the serious science taking place regarding the spiritual realm.

Giovonni gets continuing credit for posting about the 'Upside Down Thinking' book...it is a very entertaining and satisfying read.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 24th May 2019 at 15:19.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th May 2019), Chester (30th May 2019), Dreamtimer (30th May 2019), Elen (24th May 2019)

Thanks
    I still go to Jason's site. He's quite a busy fellow. I like the podcasts myself. He offers magic classes, and I believe there's an intro for free. I started a thread about Jason Louv.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th May 2019), Chester (30th May 2019), Elen (31st May 2019), Emil El Zapato (31st May 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    The first line was mine...and then as I was listening to the Louv interview I recognized the parallels between the Tsakiris/Louv discussion and their 'stuckness' regarding science and the spiritual. Assuming you listened to the interview you would see why I posted about this book. It is essentially a review of all the serious science taking place regarding the spiritual realm.

Giovonni gets continuing credit for posting about the 'Upside Down Thinking' book...it is a very entertaining and satisfying read.
    I am already into it (Louv's book set to the side for now and I am about 80 pages in with only 400 or so more to go)... anyone who is enjoying this book (The End to Upside Down Thinking) would really enjoy Bernardo Kastrup's Why Materialism is Baloney.

[Edit ADDED] Ha-ha... the author mentions this very book on the very next page I read (xviii).
    Last edited by Chester, 30th May 2019 at 12:27. Reason: new info

It's just a ride

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th May 2019), Dreamtimer (30th May 2019), Elen (31st May 2019), Emil El Zapato (31st May 2019)

Thanks
    How appropriate.

I have some catching up to do with reading, I've been busy making stuff and learning new techniques. It's nearly an obsession, except for the fact that I'm not prone to obsessions.

I look forward to these.

Thanks again for the refs.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th May 2019), Chester (30th May 2019), Elen (31st May 2019), Emil El Zapato (31st May 2019)

Thanks
    Miguel Connor has Kastrup on his show which I posted here.

Miguel mentions his friend Alex in his intro.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 30th May 2019 at 22:06.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th May 2019), Elen (31st May 2019), Emil El Zapato (31st May 2019)