Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: More killings by an American Youth.

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Last edited by enjoy being, 9th June 2018 at 03:35.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (18th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (18th February 2018), Elen (18th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018), Wind (18th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    This guy apparently has a point...but, if you really want my opinion...he's got a stick up his arse...kids are dying. To stop it, it damn sure should be an agenda. I'm pretty damn sick of this poopoo.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (18th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (18th February 2018), Elen (18th February 2018), enjoy being (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Last edited by enjoy being, 9th June 2018 at 03:36.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (18th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (18th February 2018), Elen (18th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), Lemual (18th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018), Wind (18th February 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    With regard to the (supposed) multiple incidents of guns being taken to school. I recall years ago that in Australia there were some schools that employed Security.

Am I wrong - but - in America don't some schools practice security to check school bags? I am sure I have seen actual photographs of security guards in uniform with the walk through screening detector, as well as the hand held devices. Am not sure when I saw the photographs but it was somewhere in the vicinity of 5 years ago.

Is the security at schools not enough?? Instead of taking away the right to have guns - place security at all schools. No one enters the school without a security check????

Much Peace & Much Respect - Amanda

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (18th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (18th February 2018), Elen (18th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2018), enjoy being (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), Lemual (18th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Aragorn, Elen and I can all fix videos and many other things. Aragorn has more power as an administrator, of course. And I will embed the video.

This school did all the security stuff as far as I can tell. They had an armed security officer. They did the preparatory drills.

I don't know about metal detectors. In a school with 3000 kids, that would be a challenge. I haven't looked into it.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 18th February 2018 at 04:04.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (18th February 2018), Elen (18th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2018), enjoy being (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), Lemual (18th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Aragorn, Elen and I can all fix videos and many other things. Aragorn has more power as an administrator, of course. And I will embed the video
    And hense why you're all bloody legends! (apologies for the Aussie colloquialism )

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lemual For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (18th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (18th February 2018), Elen (18th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2018), enjoy being (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018)

Thanks
    First it was sticks, then it was stones, then it was baseball bats, then it was chains, then it was knives, then it was pistols, then it was rifles, then it was machine guns, then it will be bombs, then it will be tanks, then it will be nuclear devices, then it will be fusion bombs, then it will be the end of humanity.

it's an Arms Race...and everybody loses.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (18th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (18th February 2018), enjoy being (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018), Wind (18th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Being autistic — but unbeknownst to everyone at the time, myself included — I too have always been bullied at school, but up until the end of middle school, I had always been able to defend myself somewhat, and there were also kids who were not bullying me and whom I could thus hang out with. That doesn't mean that they were sticking up for me when I was being bullied, but at least I didn't have the feeling that I was all alone.

Things changed when I entered high school. There was a guy in my class whom I had more or less grown up with. He was from the same village as myself, and we had a lot in common, while at the same time, we were also very, very different. He lost his father to cancer at a young age. My dad was still alive, but he did almost die in an explosion when I wasn't even 12 years old yet, and he would be in a wheelchair from then on. We also both wore glasses, and we were both musicians. But I was always a very docile and gentle kid, while he was cocky, condescending, and a daredevil who was always getting himself into trouble. Needless to say that we were never friends.

Up until 3rd grade, there was always a kind of hidden competition going on between him and myself, even though that was certainly not intended from my end. He and I would always end up being the second and third best student of the class — sometimes I was second best and he was third, and sometimes he was second best and I was third. Neither of us ever made it to number one, because that was always the same kid, and his scores were always better than those of either of us.

After 3rd grade, my parents decided to send me to another school, in the nearby city. The next year, that guy too transferred to the same school. But we were never in the same class together until the first year of high school, and after that one year, he left the school again in order to study in a direction that the school I was in did not provide for.

Either way, the first year of high school, that guy was in my class, and — as was to be expected of him — he immediately took residence at the back of the classroom, where the other troublemakers were traditionally to be found. And he befriended them. His best friend at the time was a guy who in hindsight must have been afflicted with a severe degree of ADHD. Loud, hyperactive, and a real attention seeker, although he was relatively "normal" when he was alone — which was rare, because he was always surrounded by a mob of enablers.

The two of them quickly turned the whole class group against me, because the guy whom I described higher up had always been somewhat of an alpha male — remember, he and I had always been the second and third best student of the class at the elementary school of the village where we grew up — and he seemed to loathe me for some reason. Maybe I was not enough of a daredevil in his eyes, and according to some of the things he said, I was supposedly antisocial because I never "hung out with my friends" outside of school — as if he was a friend of mine, not to mention as if my parents would have approved of that too, but I'm running ahead of myself now.

Whatever the real reason was, the guy turned the whole class against me, out of disdain. And even though the guy left for another school after the first year of high school, the story doesn't end there, because then his ADHD buddy took over as leader of the pack, and the situation only escalated from there on.

But here's another angle to that story... As I wrote higher up, my dad almost died in an explosion just before I would turn 12. His back was broken, and he would remain in hospital for over four months after the accident, and then he was moved over to a physical rehabilitation center, where they would provide him with the required medical care, while at the same time they were also training him to make use of the muscles in his upper body, and to live with his handicap. He stayed there for over four years, and after the first year, they would allow him to come home over the weekend — from Saturday morning at about 10:00 until Sunday evening at about 19:00.

My mom was obsessive-compulsive, and even though she had a very strong personality, she was actually very suggestible, emotionally vulnerable and fairly naive compared to city folk. She felt very insecure, having to essentially raise two boys — I have a brother who's four and a half years younger than me — on her own. She would go and visit my dad every day, and then either my brother or I myself would accompany her. At least, the first couple of years, because after that, my homework assignments et al were too cumbersome to take care of while visiting my dad.

My parents had lots of friends, and my mom was in regular contact with the wives of my dad's colleagues. One of them was an elderly widow, and she told my mom to "take a sip" every once in a while when the stress became too hard to bear. And so that's what my mom did. And with my dad not there to watch her, that one sip became two sips, and it ended with her becoming a secretive alcoholic who drank straight from the bottle. The high octane stuff, and there were bottles hidden all over the house — you wouldn't believe how inventive she was in hiding them.

Eventually, the rehabilitation center decided that they could no longer be of service to my dad, and so he was destined to go home. But our house was too small for someone in a wheelchair, so my parents made plans for building a new house, one that was adapted to my dad's needs. I was 16 at the time.

Between the stress involved with the planning and building of the new house and my mom's alcoholism — we only really found out that she drank when I was already in my twenties, and it was my grandmother who caught her — the only thing my parents seemed to care about whereas I was concerned were my school results, and that I would obey them. I've already alluded elsewhere to how my mom used to search my pockets and my school stuff behind my back in order to look for tobacco crumbs, and if she found any, then I would be severely punished.

Long story short, between the situation at home and the situation at school — where I was bullied every single effing day of the year — I was constantly traveling back and forth between two hells all throughout my adolescence.

When I tried telling my parents about the bullying, my mother simply said "We've got enough worries of our own, you deal with yours." So after that, and being autistic, which means that I took everything literally, I never tried talking to them about the bullying anymore. Except on those few rare occasions that my parents couldn't deny that something was wrong at school, like when I came home with a torn coat from having been in a fight, or when I came home and couldn't get a single sound out of my throat anymore because the bullies had been pounding away at my chest during the whole last hour of the day.

It was a chemistry hour, which meant that we were in the school's laboratory classroom that hour, where our seating arrangement was different. I was literally surrounded by the bullies. And on that day, our regular chemistry teacher had been replaced by a temp — a young guy, obviously straight out of varsity, and the bullies knew that he had no authority over them because he was only filling in for a single day. And indeed, he saw what was going on, but he didn't say a word about it. I saw that he was uncomfortable with the situation, but he was obviously also afraid of them. And with reason, because they were the worst pigs of the whole school.

School ended at 16:05, and then I had to take the bus home — not a school bus, just regular public transport. I reckon that I arrived back home at around 17:15, maybe 17:20. I remember that it was a sunny day, because my mom had the backdoor open to allow for some fresh air. And — unusually — my mom asked me how school had been. She would normally never ask that, except during exams. I tried to say something but all that came out of my throat was a hiss. And so I tried explaining to her — as best as I could — what had happened and why I couldn't speak. She had no idea that this sort of thing was going on every single day. After all, she had told me that they had their own worries and that I had to deal with mine all by myself.

And then, when my parents contacted the school about this sort of thing — which happened only on a few occasions, i.e. when there were visible physical traces of the bullying — then in some instances, the school as an institution denied that there was a problem, "but they would look into it", although they never took it seriously. Other times, they told my parents that I was eliciting this behavior from my fellow students on purpose "because I wanted to be at the center of attention." And of course, the school's word was always the gospel, so if the school said that I was the one responsible and that I was an attention-seeker, my parents would take that for the truth. Kids lie, teachers tell the truth, and all that nonsense.

Even after leaving high school, my parents were still trying to mold me into a vicarious expression of their own aspirations. They didn't care about how I felt, because "feelings are irrelevant". Well, they've molded me alright. Except that it wasn't into what they wanted me to be, nor into what I wanted to be. They've molded me into a severely traumatized guy who suffers from PTSD, and who will continue to suffer from that for the rest of his natural life.

In spite of this situation enduring way past my high school and college years — even when I was already no longer living under their roof — my high school years were undoubtedly the worst period of my life. The bullies were taking out their aggression on me, and my parents were taking out their own frustrations on me, and trying to push me into that mold where I would become the vicarious embodiment of their own aspirations.

They could never see me for the person I really was, and whatever went wrong in my life, they would blame me for. Somebody smashed into my legitimately parked car and my car was totaled, but it was my fault, because I shouldn't have parked there. At the same time, I had a job, and I needed a car for my job because I had to drive back and forth all the time between four elementary schools in just as many different municipalities. However, I was not getting paid, because some idiot at the Department of Education had misplaced my file. And it was only a temporary job. So then the fact that I wasn't getting paid was my fault as well, because I should have looked for a steady job with a decent salary. Yeah, as if jobs like that were really up for grabs back then.

Anyway, those are just a few examples. The fact is that I was never an aggressive boy, and I certainly didn't have access to a firearm either — nor to any other kind of weapon for that matter. It also never occurred to me to take revenge on the bullies by way of violence — acute self-defense not included. But what did play through my mind quite a lot in those days was the thought of suicide.

And to be honest, I am actually still wondering why I didn't kill myself. Maybe it was because somewhere deep inside, I still had hope that one day things would change, that one day, my ship would come in. But not all kids of that age have that hope. And especially nowadays, with the internet and mobile devices, the bullying can take on such proportions that teenagers all over are committing suicide just to get rid of the bullies.

Anyway, I know I'm rambling — and possibly incoherently, even — because this is an emotional subject for me. And I realize that I'm exposing a lot about myself and my past here, which doesn't feel comfortable to me at all. In fact, part of me wants to just delete every word I've written here so far. But no, I'm not going to do that. I'm going to let it stand, because there might be somebody out there, some kid who's going through a similar situation, and this post might help them realize that they're not the only ones to whom this shit happens, and that they are not the ones to blame for the evil treatment they are receiving from their peers, their schools, their parents, or whoever.

People can be mean — yes, that qualifies as the understatement of the year — and they can make you feel like it's all your fault, and that you deserve to be treated the way they're treating you. In fact, that was literally what some of the bullies at school told me. Everything was my fault. I was a loser, I was a waste of breathable air, I was unworthy of existence, and my only purpose in this world was to be kicked around by others. And given that I was essentially receiving the same treatment from my parents — seriously, you have no idea — I actually began believing that. I had no self-esteem anymore whatsoever. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Self-respect, yes, that I had. I was never going to do any of the things that I was wrongfully suspected and accused of. But I felt like I was less than a worm on the face of this planet. And it has taken me a long time to crawl back up from that abyss. A very long time. I will even go so far as to say that I only really became an adult when I was in my late twenties, or maybe by the time I was thirty.

Before that, I was emotionally and mentally still an adolescent. I couldn't even properly express myself, and I am using a very rich vocabulary now that I never even would have thought of back when I was still that age. And other people did have a more advanced vocabulary, which made me feel stupid. And being hypersensitive, I couldn't even utter a single word anymore whenever somebody yelled at me from close by. I still have difficulty with that, but it has gotten better over the years.

I will however end with this... Teachers taught me how to read, and my dad taught me how to drive a car. But everything else, I taught myself. I speak five languages — English and Dutch fluently, Afrikaans very well, French reasonably, German only mildly — and a few sentences in a couple more. I have written all sorts of computer programs in different programming languages. I play the electric guitar, but I can also play the bass, as well as a little bit of piano. I can't play the drums, sorry. I've tried that at the rehearsals of my first band when the drummer was absent, and it didn't work.

So the bottom line is that our charming fellow human beings can make us lose all faith in ourselves, and can really drive us all the way to the edge of the abyss... and over the edge too, in some cases. And it's a long journey back, all the way from there to where you can start believing in yourself again.

I've made it, albeit not quite as I would have wanted it. My soul is full of scars that will never disappear. But for others, it may be worse. We all respond to any given situation in our own way, and some decide that this life isn't worth their suffering anymore. Yet others grab for a gun and start randomly shooting some people, hoping that the monsters who've made their life so miserable will be among the recipients of the bullets. Or maybe they're not even aiming for anyone in particular. A wounded animal also always attacks anything that comes too close.

Whatever the media make of this latest shooting, and whatever the so-called alternative community chooses to make of it, people died that day. People died at the hands of someone else. Someone who himself may have been a victim of something else — as per Kelly Rowland's song.

Shit happens, because people make it happen. And it's going to happen again. Taking away people's guns isn't going to solve the problem. That's like trying to fix a broken leg by putting a patch on it. Just like the US bombing the shit out of Arab countries isn't going to win them any sympathy among Arabs. It is society which is broken, and it is society which needs fixing.

This world is fucked up, and it ain't ever going to get fixed so long as we keep on voting psychopaths, bureaucrats and hypocrites into their respective offices. And to be honest, with the state of affairs as it is, I'm not even so sure that it would ever get fixed even if we were to stop voting psychopaths, bureaucrats and hypocrites into office. Because people are people, and bullies will always be bullies, regardless of what level of society they end up in.

I just read this and it certainly got me to reflect on my days in school. It certainly saddens me, Aragorn, but thanks for sharing it.

I knew I was different than others, but only had one time where I was bullied in school, 2nd grade in Alabama because I was a “Yankee,” i.e. no southern accent in my voice as my father was in the USArmy. When I got home, my mother took one look at me, and the next day was in the school principal’s office. The principal then went after every person who had messed with me. I was still hated, but the fear of being paddled by the principal was pretty strong, and I was left alone.

In high school, I remember the bullies, but I was left alone perhaps because I was something of an athelete. I was always good at sports, and it seems that helped me.

I was never popular at any level in school. Always a skinny nerd, very few friends. Even at university.

Two women have stood by me, my mother and my wife. My mother defended me from an abusive father and crap at school, but it was a complex relationship. She was very controlling, spied on me, made fun of me at times, and always expected the most from me. I was thought to be “the stupid one” as I had the lowest grades in school as both sisters, both younger, always excelled. I think my disabilities got in the way, but 24 schools by 8th grade (we moved a lot) didn’t help.

At work, I was failing until I got married then everything changed. I became more confident, and then later an achiever and still later even a leader.

In the 90s, I had a falling out with my mother about the Columbine shootings. I had told her I felt some of the same disaffection that those kids felt, but never wanted to shoot anyone. Mother only heard “disaffection,” thought I was blaming her, and then didn’t talk to me for about a year afterward. She contended I was raised better than that, and feeling alienated at school had nothing to do with anything. I knew she was on a lot of medications, and as I was in Europe and she in Alabama, I didn’t much try to reopen communications. She later acted like it didn’t happen, and we went on as before.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (18th February 2018), Elen (19th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018), Wind (18th February 2018)

Thanks
    I essentially abandoned my relationship with my father and step-mother years ago. I was adopted to begin with and in a real sense, it went downhill from there. With my adoptive father (whom I consider my father) I finally realized it was best to cut my losses. I never let my daughter spend much time around him because I knew at some point he would say something that scarred her for life. My step-mother once remarked that I was such a miscreant because of poor genetics. Sad, I became a rocket scientist and her biological grandson is incarcerated in a mental institution for life for murdering a nurse while in a mental institution. Genetics was a poor excuse.

I'm not crying or complaining, perhaps just accepting the reality that some relationships are unsalvageable.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (18th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (18th February 2018), Elen (19th February 2018), enjoy being (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018), Wind (18th February 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (19th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (19th February 2018), Elen (19th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018), Wind (18th February 2018)

Thanks
    hmm, very cool...I love the title song, "Here I Am"

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2018), Dreamtimer (19th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (19th February 2018), Elen (19th February 2018), enjoy being (19th February 2018), Kathy (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018), Wind (19th February 2018)

Thanks
    CNN knew about Feb 14 shooting on Feb 1?

http://phibetaiota.net/2018/02/victu...th-on-the-1st/

Direct link to video:

Last edited by Aragorn, 19th February 2018 at 12:56. Reason: fixed your video link ;)

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th February 2018), Dreamtimer (19th February 2018), Elen (19th February 2018), enjoy being (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th February 2018), Dreamtimer (19th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (19th February 2018), Elen (19th February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    Surely it is a glitch of some sort? I mean to have 3 or 4 prescient mentionings of gun related incidents in February before they happened would surely be pushing it a bit. Very interesting though huh. Lets see if someone (a computer geek) can shed light on how it could be a glitch.
    Sure, but it seems to happen over and over, like the BBC video shown 20+ minutes before WTC 7 fell during 911 showing the building still standing in the background. Another explanation is their religion requires their forewarning us or they don’t derive the “maximum points” in the religious “video game” they are playing.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th February 2018), Dreamtimer (19th February 2018), Elen (19th February 2018), enjoy being (19th February 2018), Lemual (21st February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    Surely it is a glitch of some sort? I mean to have 3 or 4 prescient mentionings of gun related incidents in February before they happened would surely be pushing it a bit. Very interesting though huh. Lets see if someone (a computer geek) can shed light on how it could be a glitch.

As a self-diagnosed computer geek, I see only two possible explanations beyond the conspiracy angle, i.e.:

• News services like that utilize a relational database management system, so that the articles of one day don't spill over onto the next day, and so that it is easier to conduct database queries on a particular subject, a particular date, and so on. Such systems also have version control built-in, so that it is possible to update an article with a newer version. It is possible that this database system contains a bug that causes things to get posted in the records for an earlier date.

• Human stupidity. If the database doesn't contain any serious enough bug as I've mentioned here-above, then it's still entirely possible that somebody posted the newer content into the pages for an earlier date.

Just my two Eurocents.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (19th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (19th February 2018), Elen (19th February 2018), enjoy being (19th February 2018), Lemual (21st February 2018), tarka the duck (24th February 2018), Wind (19th February 2018)