Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Watchers watching watchers

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Oh actually I can't find the no to maybe bit, I am sure I saw it there following all the media fizz over her golden globe award speech. Such examples of the buzz was.. https://www.dailywire.com/news/25500...nt-joseph-curl or ... Google

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (7th February 2018), Elen (7th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), Fred Steeves (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Haven't seen that, but I'm not at all surprised. My sense is the overall general strategy is to wait until even the hillsides start begging her to run, and she would thus "grudgingly" do so. Out of duty to country of course, always out of duty to country...

Then again as always, we shall see.
    This is just my opinion of course, but her statement that running or being POTUS was not in her DNA pretty much says she is self-aware enough to recognize that she is 'popular' but that it doesn't translate into qualifications for what should be one of the world's more demanding jobs.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (7th February 2018), Elen (7th February 2018), enjoy being (9th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018), Wind (7th February 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    The only qualification for US President is:

ability to follow orders.

...Oprah may not be able to do that.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th February 2018), Elen (8th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th February 2018), enjoy being (9th February 2018)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Oprah appeals to the common man and more to the common woman who feel for some f'd up reason that she represents them.

She is purely a product of the corporate age. And although lovely in her own way, she must, in order to appeal to the zeitgeist, if nothing else, reduce everything to simple mythologies that ignore the role of the military industrial complex, and top down class war. Her golden globe award speech put me off.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (7th February 2018), Elen (8th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th February 2018), enjoy being (9th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,990 Times in 2,602 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Her golden globe award speech put me off.
    Me as well, she came off ready to take up the sword and lead a crusade. I'll bet you a nickel the hard Left would take up that sword with her and follow as blindly and fiercely as the deplorables follow Trump.

I can see the banners waving now: "Something Must Be Done!"
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th February 2018), Dreamtimer (9th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (9th February 2018), Elen (10th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2018), enjoy being (9th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Me as well, she came off ready to take up the sword and lead a crusade. I'll bet you a nickel the hard Left would take up that sword with her and follow as blindly and fiercely as the deplorables follow Trump.

Instead of using the mantra “Hope” like Obummer, Oppie would use “Cope”

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th February 2018), Elen (10th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    We go down these paths and then wonder how we got there.

It used to be Christians eschewed voting because it was beneath their spiritual goals and way of life.

It used to be Christians valued having enough and not pursuing or flaunting wealth. Now we have the Prosperity Doctrine.

And Christians highly active in politics.

Our VP says he's Christian, Conservative, and Republican, in that order. That doesn't sound like someone who puts the Constitution first to me.

There's always a backlash. An Oprah backlash would not be a good thing. And people are continuing to fail to acknowledge their role in bringing us down these paths.

We champion someone like Sarah Palin who quit when the going got tough, blamed the liberal media, ran for VP with no experience, spoke in word salads, and more.

And yet we're shocked when we find ourselves with a President who speaks in word salads, has no experience, fills our agencies with people with no experience, or simply fails to fill positions, and more.

The people who have been championing smaller, more efficient government keep choosing people who don't even know how to do it in the first place.

Every successful President has surrounded himself with experts in what they do. This one says he doesn't need experts. He's his own best expert.

And because we don't collectively know how to take responsibility, we continue to play the blame game.

And if this is what most people are doing, it matters. We don't live in a vacuum sealed bubble where we're removed from the mainstream. We have to deal with it as it is in order to change it.

I personally believe that we've inadvertently found the cure to the malaise in voting. People are going to be running for office and voting in record numbers. It should be quite interesting.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Dumpster Diver (9th February 2018), Elen (10th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts

Hey Fred,

That would be a good test to see 'another' difference between the two factions. All I can say is, I hope not...if so, then even the 'symbolic' differences would mean less. It will be interesting, but honestly, my money is on the 'smarter' and less regimented reps
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (9th February 2018), Elen (10th February 2018)