Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Watchers watching watchers

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Lemual View Post
    I'd have to strongly disagree with this. I really dislike the woman (well her TV persona anyway). I would say that she's either a bad journalist or a shill (maybe even mockingbird-esque)

I've seen many videos taking her apart but this is the first one I could find (If you hate Abbey Martin then there's plenty of others you can find):

It's hard to take someone apart if they are not present to respond. I have to say though, one REALLY should consider that RT is a Russian propaganda vehicle. Incidentally, Martin is accurate about the violence motivation...I don't see where she actually cites any 'realities' to contradict the resident Rhodes Scholar beyond 'it's mainstream propaganda'. Don't listen to endless reams of what Aragorn properly calls b.s. We have to do our own research and not be led by Russian propaganda.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 5th February 2018 at 23:38.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th February 2018), Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), enjoy being (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    40 years.
    70 years.
    400 years.
    Just sneezes. Hardly long enough to even start turning on one single tap in the tangled plumbing of the universe.
    First world problems? How about short time zone concerns from minuscule gnats linked together to form singular grains of sand in an hour glass?
    See them line up and strut with importance as they parade in formation, such poise and pomp for such temporary office. Doing nothing meaning nothing, affecting nothing. The station of observance to count the ticks which add up to nothing, the huge epic epoch of an age, filled with many individual poos. All carefully chewed and packed and paid for, but not spoken of. The motions of millions, adding up to very little, apart from tonnes of sewerage. Lifetime upon lifetime seeking value, producing nothing but sewerage and distraction between trips to the lavatory. The bright ages of humanity, a series of comedies, based largely on nothing.
    Last edited by enjoy being, 6th February 2018 at 02:08.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th February 2018), Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    MSNBC and Rachel Maddow are compromised by the corporatocracy
    I take it that you do know what the "MS" in "MSNBC" stands for, right? And for anyone who doesn't know, look at the colors of their logo.

Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    It's hard to take someone apart if they are not present to respond. I have to say though, one REALLY should consider that RT is a Russian propaganda vehicle. [...] We have to do our own research and not be led by Russian propaganda.
    If you think that Abby Martin has ever engaged in Russian propaganda, then I'm afraid you still haven't shaken off your own programming. Abby's show was called Breaking The Set, and even though it was broadcast on RT, Abby did on numerous occasions criticize the Russian government — among other things, with regard to the Russian military intervention in Crimea — on her show, with full editorial freedom.

As the matter of fact, all of the mainstream media talking heads had noticed that Abby was openly condemning the Russian military intervention in Crimea on her Breaking The Set show on that very same — yes — Russian-state-sponsored RT network. And it was quite a shocker to the likes of MSNBC, CNN and even Fox News that the balloon of their favorite prejudice about Abby Martin — who had time and time exposed all of them as hypocrites and shills of the corporate-fascist empire — suddenly got popped on camera by that very same Abby Martin.

Abby Martin is a very thorough investigative journalist who takes her job seriously, and she is an incredibly brave young woman whose integrity cannot be bought. Writing off her work as pro-Russian propaganda — or herself as a pro-Russian shill — is not just plain wrong, but it's also very bad taste to boot, not to mention a cheap shot. The girl's a heroine, and she deserves your respect — much more so than Rachel "proud to carry a US Democrat Party membership card" Maddow.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), enjoy being (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018), Lemual (11th February 2018), Wind (6th February 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    *In true modern western style*

"Yerp it stands for Oprah Winfrey! Yah Oprah, Oprah for President!"

(Oprah isn't afraid to admit to pooing)

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th February 2018), Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I take it that you do know what the "MS" in "MSNBC" stands for, right? And for anyone who doesn't know, look at the colors of their logo.

If you think that Abby Martin has ever engaged in Russian propaganda, then I'm afraid you still haven't shaken off your own programming. Abby's show was called Breaking The Set, and even though it was broadcast on RT, Abby did on numerous occasions criticize the Russian government — among other things, with regard to the Russian military intervention in Crimea — on her show, with full editorial freedom.

As the matter of fact, all of the mainstream media talking heads had noticed that Abby was openly condemning the Russian military intervention in Crimea on her Breaking The Set show on that very same — yes — Russian-state-sponsored RT network. And it was quite a shocker to the likes of MSNBC, CNN and even Fox News that the balloon of their favorite prejudice about Abby Martin — who had time and time exposed all of them as hypocrites and shills of the corporate-fascist empire — suddenly got popped on camera by that very same Abby Martin.

Abby Martin is a very thorough investigative journalist who takes her job seriously, and she is an incredibly brave young woman whose integrity cannot be bought. Writing off her work as pro-Russian propaganda — or herself as a pro-Russian shill — is not just plain wrong, but it's also very bad taste to boot, not to mention a cheap shot. The girl's a heroine, and she deserves your respect — much more so than Rachel "proud to carry a US Democrat Party membership card" Maddow.
    actually, I did look up her bio...not a russian propagandist but has an agenda of some kind...i think she's a cross between Patty Hearst and Paris Hilton...

Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post

Not exactly an intellectual heavyweight, though ... all we need to succeed the Anti-Obama is the Anti-Trump... no thanks, really.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    It's hard to take someone apart if they are not present to respond. I have to say though, one REALLY should consider that RT is a Russian propaganda vehicle. Incidentally, Martin is accurate about the violence motivation...I don't see where she actually cites any 'realities' to contradict the resident Rhodes Scholar beyond 'it's mainstream propaganda'. Don't listen to endless reams of what Aragorn properly calls b.s. We have to do our own research and not be led by Russian propaganda.
    I’ll believe RT sooner than anything posed by the MSM, except in the inverse, i.e. invert what the MSM says.

As I recall, the MS is MicroSoft courtesy of our old pal Billy Bob Gates:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSNBC

...so if I ever had a reason to hate on MSNBC, that’s it.
    Last edited by Dumpster Diver, 6th February 2018 at 14:35.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th February 2018), Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    I never watch MSNBC anymore...I realized that I was doing myself no favors by listening to myself and still being frustrated by the lack of cogent questioning by the talking heads...BUT, Maddow is hard to sneeze at, a Lesbian Rhodes Scholar, a definite candidate for inclusion in the ranks of the intelligentsia. She also is a speaker of good old, god-given commonsense. The alternative world is ripe for exploration and rife with confusion, collusion, coercion, and kalliopes (hell, I don't know), marching bands perhaps. It has to be digested with a generous helping of discretion. If not taken in this fashion, it just doesn't work at all in my inverse

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The MSM is already an inverse of itself. If you reverse what it says you have no meaning at all. Fox and the rest cancel each other out and the alternative media seems to have the same issues as the mainstream.

There's a sea of sludge which is each and every bit of the media and we have to figure out what's what, imo.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts

actually, I did look up her bio...
    Actually, I don't believe you.

not a russian propagandist but has an agenda of some kind...
    Yes, she does. It's called "investigating the facts and exposing the truth" — something your Rachel Maddow and her other corporately sponsored colleagues aren't exactly particularly good at, their undoubtedly very royal salaries notwithstanding.

i think she's a cross between Patty Hearst and Paris Hilton...

Given that you seem to have a habit of dismissing facts out of hand in favor of your preconceived notions and prejudices, I think the time has finally come for me to exit this thread — and the US-centric party-political loyalties that almost every discussion of late here at the forum seems to come down to.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018), Lemual (11th February 2018), Wind (6th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,990 Times in 2,602 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post

Now there's a scary thought, the exact mirror image of Trump and *his* angry and unquestioning followers.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), enjoy being (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I wish Oprah had never asked Trump if he'd be president. I thought it was irresponsible. I always have. He didn't need anymore ego stroking and he always said he likes his life and he was made for business, not government.

But it gets good ratings to ask Trump if he wants to be president.

At least she had the sense to say that running for president is not for her.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Actually, I don't believe you.

Yes, she does. It's called "investigating the facts and exposing the truth" — something your Rachel Maddow and her other corporately sponsored colleagues aren't exactly particularly good at, their undoubtedly very royal salaries notwithstanding.

Given that you seem to have a habit of dismissing facts out of hand in favor of your preconceived notions and prejudices, I think the time has finally come for me to exit this thread — and the US-centric party-political loyalties that almost every discussion of late here at the forum seems to come down to.

Calm down, Aragorn...I can see she's a favorite of yours. I did look up her bio and yes, perhaps I am being prematurely dismissive. I apologize for crossing your line. She may have depth, in fact, she certainly does, but one of my problems with reporting are the 'theatrics' that come along with it. I don't believe serious investigation and 'look at me pound the table' belong together. Just a personal bias that in no way reflects on your judgment of her, her abilities and her motivations.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th February 2018), Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    At least she had the sense to say that running for president is not for her.
    So she says. We shall see.

Socrates

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th February 2018), Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (6th February 2018), Elen (6th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), enjoy being (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    In fact I did see something very recently that was priming the masses for Oprahs presidency...
    She was asked that question again and she changed her tune from no to maybe. Hence the tongue in cheek comment.

MSN Messenger. The little Cluedo figurines. The brave new world of digital communications. Those were the days, before catfish was a term and twitter was just onomatopoeia.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (7th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)

Thanks
    Haven't seen that, but I'm not at all surprised. My sense is the overall general strategy is to wait until even the hillsides start begging her to run, and she would thus "grudgingly" do so. Out of duty to country of course, always out of duty to country...

Then again as always, we shall see.

Socrates

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2018), Dumpster Diver (7th February 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th February 2018), enjoy being (6th February 2018), Kathy (7th February 2018)