Thread: The Private Life of Chickens

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts

The Private Life of Chickens

Take a break from all the serious stuff to this kind of serious stuff!

Chicken have a pecking order among themselves, but how intelligent are they? Let's find out...not as stupid as people think hey?

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th January 2018), Dreamtimer (9th January 2018), Dumpster Diver (9th January 2018), Juniper (9th January 2018), Kathy (9th January 2018), modwiz (10th January 2018), Onthebit (15th January 2018), WantDisclosure (14th January 2018), zendeavor (13th January 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I had to find a mushroom connection. You can grow wine cap mushrooms in your chicken coop. Not only do they eat the chicken manure, the chickens can eat the wine caps. How 'bout that?

This practice is called mycoremediation.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 9th January 2018 at 16:03. Reason: added link

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th January 2018), Dumpster Diver (9th January 2018), Elen (9th January 2018), Juniper (9th January 2018), Kathy (9th January 2018), modwiz (10th January 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I had to find a mushroom connection. You can grow wine cap mushrooms in your chicken coop. Not only do they eat the chicken manure, the chickens can eat the wine caps. How 'bout that?
    There you go...that is a smart mushroom!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th January 2018), Dreamtimer (9th January 2018), Dumpster Diver (9th January 2018), Juniper (9th January 2018), Kathy (9th January 2018), modwiz (10th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts
    I have chickens and I LOVE chickens. They are able to learn easily and will become very tame. My favorites are americauna who lay blue/green eggs in various shades. I like them because they are varied beautiful shades of earth tones. The pictures included are like my chickies.

They are not as smart IMO as Bantam game type chickens (brilliant) which are more IMO like wild birds.

Like everyone, here in North GA it was cold for a really long frozen spell around New Years. I was afraid I would lose my one Rooster who is a Black Austrolop.

He is about 6 years old and he seemed like he was dwindling away. But every night I went in to the stall the chickens sleep in where he no longer can perch and covered him with hay he is rallying now it is warmer. I am an egg/milk vegetarian and the one thing that I dislike about game Bantams is that they refuse to lay eggs in the nesting boxes. They go somewhere out in the weeds (of which I have abundance). They initially did not want to sleep in the old barn until we had snow around Thanksgiving and now they have moved in to shelter.

When I first had chickens, we had Banties. One hen immediately fell in love with my husband and moved into his shop where she slept on the bandsaw. She would fly up to his shoulder and cuddle in his beard if he let her. we called her Brown Hen and I was very upset when she was killed by dogs who came in our yard. I never name them anymore because they are too easily lost. They are like the Shmoos in the Al Capp comic, desirable to all predators.

I liked the video thanks.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th January 2018), Dumpster Diver (10th January 2018), Elen (10th January 2018), Kathy (10th January 2018), modwiz (10th January 2018), Onthebit (15th January 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Maggie View Post
    I have chickens and I LOVE chickens. They are able to learn easily and will become very tame. My favorites are americauna who lay blue/green eggs in various shades. I like them because they are varied beautiful shades of earth tones. The pictures included are like my chickies.

They are not as smart IMO as Bantam game type chickens (brilliant) which are more IMO like wild birds.

Like everyone, here in North GA it was cold for a really long frozen spell around New Years. I was afraid I would lose my one Rooster who is a Black Austrolop.

He is about 6 years old and he seemed like he was dwindling away. But every night I went in to the stall the chickens sleep in where he no longer can perch and covered him with hay he is rallying now it is warmer. I am an egg/milk vegetarian and the one thing that I dislike about game Bantams is that they refuse to lay eggs in the nesting boxes. They go somewhere out in the weeds (of which I have abundance). They initially did not want to sleep in the old barn until we had snow around Thanksgiving and now they have moved in to shelter.

When I first had chickens, we had Banties. One hen immediately fell in love with my husband and moved into his shop where she slept on the bandsaw. She would fly up to his shoulder and cuddle in his beard if he let her. we called her Brown Hen and I was very upset when she was killed by dogs who came in our yard. I never name them anymore because they are too easily lost. They are like the Shmoos in the Al Capp comic, desirable to all predators.

I liked the video thanks.
    Very good Maggie!

As a child I lived next door to a chicken-farm and I spent a lot of time there among the chicken. I earned some pocket-money counting the newly hatched ones and putting them in boxes + feeding them. It was fun!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th January 2018), Dreamtimer (10th January 2018), Dumpster Diver (10th January 2018), Kathy (10th January 2018), modwiz (10th January 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Yes, it is a brilliantly educational video. Loved it.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th January 2018), Dreamtimer (10th January 2018), Dumpster Diver (10th January 2018), Elen (10th January 2018), modwiz (10th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    Take a break from all the serious stuff to this kind of serious stuff!
    Elen,

Thanks so much for posting this.

I can't wait to share it with my seven year old grandson, who loves animals.

This stuff is so much more wholesome than mindless video games where zombies are shooting plants!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th January 2018), Dreamtimer (15th January 2018), Dumpster Diver (15th January 2018), Elen (15th January 2018), Kathy (15th January 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by KeepTrying View Post
    Elen,

Thanks so much for posting this.

I can't wait to share it with my seven year old grandson, who loves animals.

This stuff is so much more wholesome than mindless video games where zombies are shooting plants!
    I agree with you 100%...this planet is full of great stuff...it's up to us to find it!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th January 2018), Dreamtimer (15th January 2018), Dumpster Diver (16th January 2018), Kathy (15th January 2018), WantDisclosure (15th January 2018)