Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Me Too!

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Cat and Mouse. How about S&M? Talk about potential law suits. Don't people draw up contracts who engage regularly in that stuff?

Not only do you have to make sure it's consentual, you have to make sure someone is really old enough, and really not married, and really clean, and really on birth control, and really not a psycho... It's not an easy world out there.

There's a guy who got fired by NBC just recently. Then he got re-hired because they realized the stories against him weren't good. He's not the only one. Others will get their jobs back.

There are so many young men who lose jobs, opportunities and even their lives simply because they're black and they haven't done a goddamn thing. Life sucks quite often when you're innocent doesn't it?
    I worked in a company where a pretty good black supervisor got busted for harassment...sent a letter requesting a date to a blonde employee. He got fired and she got a promotion...that's my hometown
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th December 2017), Dreamtimer (19th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (18th December 2017), Elen (19th December 2017), Kathy (23rd December 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 173 Posts
    I worked in a company where a pretty good black supervisor got busted for harassment...sent a letter requesting a date to a blonde employee. He got fired and she got a promotion...that's my hometown

I couldn't resist commenting on this one.... Is the situation you are describing really about race or was it about very poor judgement for a supervisor at a company? I don't know what the company policies were but I do think someone that does this is not Supervisor material. Imagine being asked out on a date by your boss. What happens if you refuse? What happens if you go out with the guy? Do you get special treatment? What happens if you break up? Are you now going to be punished? There are lots of possibilities created here. I believe that a boss that does this, or tries to do this doesn't have a lot of common sense and certainly isn't putting his job first in the workplace. Should he be fired for that? Who knows, but I don't think he was management material.
    Last edited by pointessa, 21st December 2017 at 13:46.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pointessa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd December 2017), Dreamtimer (21st December 2017), Dumpster Diver (21st December 2017), Elen (21st December 2017), Kathy (23rd December 2017), modwiz (22nd December 2017), sandy (22nd December 2017)

Thanks
    lol, poor decision, but I fully commiserate with poor judgment, especially under a circumstance like that. It was great entertainment for most of the company. And most of it was not very pretty...He was a friend of mine and a pretty decent human being...Meant no harm to anyone, least of all the poor defenseless blonde who likely is running a company of only women by now...(It's been quite a few years ago).

Believe me, if you knew the culture of that company, you would recognize his offense would have been extremely low on the scale of bad deeds...very low...

Just one last thought...When the supervisor sent the note it wasn't a racial thing, by the time the jokes made the rounds (and, to be honest, before she was promoted) it became sheer crass, low life racial ugliness. And it goes on, very nicely...but as Dreamtimer has pointed out, the younger generation, at least in America are very different in their outlook regarding diversity. With the exception of those that have a long legacy of active hatred. Those elements will extinct themselves in due time, unfortunately for them. I would like to see everyone move forward in social awareness, social consciousness, and a sense of social responsibility.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 22nd December 2017 at 01:24.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd December 2017), Dreamtimer (22nd December 2017), Dumpster Diver (22nd December 2017), Elen (22nd December 2017), Kathy (23rd December 2017), sandy (22nd December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    He was a friend of mine and a pretty decent human being...Meant no harm to anyone, least of all the poor defenseless blonde who likely is running a company of only women by now...
    Hmmm, not quite sure what to make of that one.

Believe me,
    I hear your boy Trump say that a lot...
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 22nd December 2017 at 01:52.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd December 2017), Dreamtimer (22nd December 2017), Dumpster Diver (22nd December 2017), Elen (22nd December 2017), Emil El Zapato (22nd December 2017), Kathy (23rd December 2017)

Thanks
    One of the hardest things to do is to differentiate what is personal and what is racist...it is hard, very hard. What I mean about that blonde person is that she was very mean-spirited...and it's likely she has taken her toll. Other supervisors often joked about her affinity for StrapOn tools.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 22nd December 2017 at 02:38. Reason: i'm out of control...too much stuff going on... :)

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd December 2017), Dreamtimer (22nd December 2017), Dumpster Diver (22nd December 2017), Elen (22nd December 2017), Fred Steeves (22nd December 2017), Kathy (23rd December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Other supervisors often joked about her affinity for StrapOn tools.
    Ah, I see. Now we're getting somewhere.

So now the question begs, how would these other supervisors know of this woman's affinity for strap ons unless she liked to talk about such things in the workplace?

Sounds like that job environment was closer to a construction site or a bar rather than a professional office setting, so if talk around the water cooler was that free and liberal, maybe asking her for a date wasn't so out of line after all.

EDIT: Unless they were just making this "affinity" up, and in that case it would be in *extremely* poor taste and judgment...
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 22nd December 2017 at 10:17.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd December 2017), Dreamtimer (22nd December 2017), Dumpster Diver (22nd December 2017), Elen (22nd December 2017), Emil El Zapato (23rd December 2017), Kathy (23rd December 2017)

Thanks
    Could have been either one, Freddie. Honestly, I just tried to mind my own damn business...unless and until I was approached (I'm only human you know, at least I was then)...

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd December 2017), Dreamtimer (23rd December 2017), Dumpster Diver (24th December 2017), Elen (24th December 2017), Fred Steeves (24th December 2017), Kathy (25th December 2017)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Here's a story about men protecting women and related stuff.

I was doing my thing – pouring drafts and smiling at girls – when I noticed a couple having an argument. I didn’t give it much thought; people argue sometimes, and at that age, rocky relationships are a kind of growing pain, it seems.

And then he hit her.

I reacted like many people do when absolutely shocked by something we witness – I froze up for a moment, but only for a moment. You see, I had been well trained in my youth, like many of the guys I knew then and know now. Hitting is bad. Hitting those weaker and smaller is worse. Hitting women is absolutely out-of-bounds, and if we see a guy doing this, it requires an immediate and harsh response from all “real men” in the vicinity.

Before my feet hit the ground, three rather beefy men already had their hands on the idiot Dude-bro, and were dragging him out back. When it was over, the guy looked like Joe Pesci at the end of Goodfellas – it wasn’t a pretty sight.

As they were dragging him away, I saw the look on Dude-bro’s face. There was fear, but also resignation, as if he knew this would happen, and had, in a way, accepted it. The moment his right hand struck her left cheek, we all knew exactly how it would end. Men know that there are certain behaviors that will earn you a beating at the hands of other men, and at the risk of sounding like a macho caveman, there are times when this is exactly what should happen.

While creepers exist in all walks of life, there seems to be a preponderance of them among the very wealthy. Wealth and power seem to have the same effect on the privileged as a few shots of tequila have on the bad elements among us regular Joes.

Suddenly, those drunk on booze or power become, in their own minds at least, instantly irresistible, charming, entitled to the attentions and bodies of any and all that they may desire, and completely free of even the slightest consequence for their actions.

However, while regular society has developed a series of checks and balances to restore common decency...among the uber-wealthy, there seems to be no system in place to push back against this kind of deviant behavior. As a result, the stories of abuse and assault sometimes go unchecked for decades, as they did in the case of Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

Until recently, one could have made an argument that those of us in regular America are much less tolerant of these kinds of abuses than those who reside in gated communities. Dude-bro, for example, was going to take a beating no matter what – the size of his wallet was never going to be a factor. That was my understanding of the differences between the behavioral norms of the hyper-wealthy compared to normal people, at least until 2016 came along and we elected Donald Trump to become the most powerful man in the world, even though his record of being an absolute creeper is well known and undeniable.

Here are a number of instances that would register as “Not OK” on any human being’s decency scale; I call the list Things That Would Get a Regular Guy Punched in the Head:

1) We’ve all heard the Access Hollywood tape. I’m not going to dwell on it, except to say that the “locker room talk” excuse is bullshit. (Thank you)

2) Trump often bragged about walking into the dressing rooms at his pageants while contestants were nude, or partially nude, and doing so unannounced. (They were underage, folks)

3) “I've said if Ivanka weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her." I don’t really need to explain this quote from a 2006 appearance on The View, except to say that anyone who doesn’t see this as a punch-able moment doesn’t have a daughter.

And there’s more. Much more.

I can still see those three guys dragging him out back, only now, 20 years later, all I can think about is the simple fact that two of those guys voted for Trump.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (27th December 2017), Elen (27th December 2017), Emil El Zapato (27th December 2017), Fred Steeves (27th December 2017), Kathy (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Here's a story about men protecting women and related stuff.

I was doing my thing – pouring drafts and smiling at girls – when I noticed a couple having an argument. I didn’t give it much thought; people argue sometimes, and at that age, rocky relationships are a kind of growing pain, it seems.

And then he hit her.

I reacted like many people do when absolutely shocked by something we witness – I froze up for a moment, but only for a moment. You see, I had been well trained in my youth, like many of the guys I knew then and know now. Hitting is bad. Hitting those weaker and smaller is worse. Hitting women is absolutely out-of-bounds, and if we see a guy doing this, it requires an immediate and harsh response from all “real men” in the vicinity.

Before my feet hit the ground, three rather beefy men already had their hands on the idiot Dude-bro, and were dragging him out back. When it was over, the guy looked like Joe Pesci at the end of Goodfellas – it wasn’t a pretty sight.

As they were dragging him away, I saw the look on Dude-bro’s face. There was fear, but also resignation, as if he knew this would happen, and had, in a way, accepted it. The moment his right hand struck her left cheek, we all knew exactly how it would end. Men know that there are certain behaviors that will earn you a beating at the hands of other men, and at the risk of sounding like a macho caveman, there are times when this is exactly what should happen.

While creepers exist in all walks of life, there seems to be a preponderance of them among the very wealthy. Wealth and power seem to have the same effect on the privileged as a few shots of tequila have on the bad elements among us regular Joes.

Suddenly, those drunk on booze or power become, in their own minds at least, instantly irresistible, charming, entitled to the attentions and bodies of any and all that they may desire, and completely free of even the slightest consequence for their actions.

However, while regular society has developed a series of checks and balances to restore common decency...among the uber-wealthy, there seems to be no system in place to push back against this kind of deviant behavior. As a result, the stories of abuse and assault sometimes go unchecked for decades, as they did in the case of Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

Until recently, one could have made an argument that those of us in regular America are much less tolerant of these kinds of abuses than those who reside in gated communities. Dude-bro, for example, was going to take a beating no matter what – the size of his wallet was never going to be a factor. That was my understanding of the differences between the behavioral norms of the hyper-wealthy compared to normal people, at least until 2016 came along and we elected Donald Trump to become the most powerful man in the world, even though his record of being an absolute creeper is well known and undeniable.

Here are a number of instances that would register as “Not OK” on any human being’s decency scale; I call the list Things That Would Get a Regular Guy Punched in the Head:

1) We’ve all heard the Access Hollywood tape. I’m not going to dwell on it, except to say that the “locker room talk” excuse is bullshit. (Thank you)

2) Trump often bragged about walking into the dressing rooms at his pageants while contestants were nude, or partially nude, and doing so unannounced. (They were underage, folks)

3) “I've said if Ivanka weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her." I don’t really need to explain this quote from a 2006 appearance on The View, except to say that anyone who doesn’t see this as a punch-able moment doesn’t have a daughter.

And there’s more. Much more.

I can still see those three guys dragging him out back, only now, 20 years later, all I can think about is the simple fact that two of those guys voted for Trump.
    Be nice, he's the only God-Emperor we've got...

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th December 2017), Dreamtimer (27th December 2017), Elen (27th December 2017), Emil El Zapato (27th December 2017), Kathy (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    I don't want a God-Emperor. Or any kind of Emperor. That's why we had the revolution. A president whose heroes are strongmen belongs more in the presidency of a country like Russia than America. (except Putin is so much smarter)

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (27th December 2017), Elen (27th December 2017), Emil El Zapato (27th December 2017), Kathy (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    I don't want a God-Emperor. Or any kind of Emperor. That's why we had the revolution. A president whose heroes are strongmen belongs more in the presidency of a country like Russia than America. (except Putin is so much smarter)
    Dreamy, you know you don't get what you want...you get what you need to 'learn the lesson'...

...so we all get the Trumpster Fire shoved in our faces...you mess with Gaia, she messes back.

...BTW, you know I don't watch the news anymore? There's a reason for the season...

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th December 2017), Dreamtimer (27th December 2017), Elen (27th December 2017), Emil El Zapato (27th December 2017), Kathy (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    I haven't been messing with Gaia. I've been being nice to her all my life.

It's good you don't watch the news. There's a large amount of programming and propaganda. I watch and listen to and read some, because I choose to stay connected to what's being said and what people may be following.

And it's nice to have days with no news, much more peaceful.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (27th December 2017), Elen (27th December 2017), Emil El Zapato (27th December 2017), Kathy (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post
    Dreamy, you know you don't get what you want...you get what you need to 'learn the lesson'...

...so we all get the Trumpster Fire shoved in our faces...you mess with Gaia, she messes back.
    Looks like Orbs sees things the same way.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (27th December 2017), Emil El Zapato (27th December 2017), Kathy (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    I haven't been messing with Gaia. I've been being nice to her all my life.

It's good you don't watch the news. There's a large amount of programming and propaganda. I watch and listen to and read some, because I choose to stay connected to what's being said and what people may be following.

And it's nice to have days with no news, much more peaceful.
    Right, as a fellow recycling flea I feel the same way, but I think the cosmic vet our Gaia dog is going to to relieve the itching problem may not see it that way: a flea is a flea.

Re: news. Willful ignorance and outright lies bother me. Time spent on research or enjoyment works better for me.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th December 2017), Dreamtimer (27th December 2017), Emil El Zapato (27th December 2017), Kathy (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    Too much noise, not enough signal?

I like to peruse different sources which include fivethirtyeight. They do numbers analyses and it's a group of people, men and women (not just Nate). It's not a news outlet so it's wonderfully free of the partisan shit even as it covers politics.

It's also one of the only places that I see that does a good job of looking at all the crazy polls and making some sense of them.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (27th December 2017), Emil El Zapato (27th December 2017), Kathy (28th December 2017)