Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream On

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Wormholes, Freud, and Jacob the Dreamer

In the 1980s, when the possibility of wormholes began to capture physicists’ imaginations, there was the inevitable concern about what such objects might mean for causality in an Einsteinian, time-elastic universe. Wormholes through space meant, inevitably, wormholes through time. And so, naturally, people thought of the grandfather paradox, that strange fantasy of killing one’s patriarchs that is the big stumblingstone for rational people when trying to countenance the idea of time travel. Killing one’s grandfather or (Oedipally) one’s father, though, boils down to a fantasy of self-negation; so, when physicists model this problem, it is more convenient to cut out the patriarchal middlemen and ask about the neurotic possibility of self-inhibition or (more extremely) suicide in time-traveling objects.

In the early 1980s, a Russian physicist named Igor Novikov worked out that physical law would actually prevent any such self-inhibition, that in fact a principle of self-consistency would govern a wormhole-riddled universe. Even if an object could enter a wormhole at some time point B and emerge earlier, at some time point A, it could never actually interfere with its own entry into the wormhole at that later time point B. Two Caltech students of black hole and wormhole expert Kip Thorne checked and found that Novikov was right: First, a time-traveling billiard ball cannot take the place of its younger self—a kind of “exclusion principle” would prevent that (more on which in a future post). Instead, what happens is the time-traveling object encounters its earlier self and interferes in such a way that its later entry into the wormhole is actually facilitated.

All possible paths of a billiard ball entering a wormhole later (bottom, in graphic at right) would in fact, upon exiting the wormhole earlier (top), nudge itself into the mouth of the wormhole later, thus completing the causal tautology, or what physicists call the closed-timelike curve. These days, quantum physicists use the idiom of “post-selection”—a kind of informational-causal Darwinism which ensures that the only information that survives its journey into the past is information that does not foreclose its origins in the future.

My book Time Loops touches lightly on the physics of time-traveling billiard balls and quantum informational reflux into the past, but it delves mainly into the psychodynamic principles governing time-traveling information in our tesseract brains. It is no coincidence, I think, that the associative laws of the unconscious work so nicely to prevent paradox in beings who are subject much more than we know to premonitions and who are constantly guided by a kind of presentimental orientation toward future rewards. The unconscious, I suggest, is just ordinary conscious thought displaced in time. Paradox is prevented by the very nature of the rules that allow information to reflux into the past, specifically the limitations on making that refluxing information meaningful as opposed to noise.

Dreams offer the best example for what I’m talking about. A typical precognitive dream is an oblique and indirect associative halo around some future experience or train of thought; its exact relationship to that experience or train of thought only becomes clear in hindsight. There are apparent exceptions: more obvious premonitions that may even be almost “video-quality” in their transmission backward of some future scene (I believe this is exactly what sleep-paralysis episodes and “out of body experiences” may in fact be*); but even in those cases, the “metadata” of the transmission is always lacking: the when, where, and how, as well as the meaning, or how the event fits into the ordinary course of life. One way or another, the information that arrives from the future in dreams and altered states is garbled or incomplete and thus cannot be used to foreclose the inciting experience.

Could the laws preventing billiard balls from interfering with themselves in wormholes offer us a new way of thinking about the processes of distortion in dreams?

The Nightshirt

more to come...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st November 2018), Chris (8th November 2018), Elen (1st November 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thomas Sheridan has had an interesting dream in conjunction with the appearance of Oumuamua. Thanks to Kathy for this.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th November 2018), Chris (8th November 2018), Elen (9th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th May 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    I have no doubt whatsoever that our universe, including our solar system, is teeming with life. Trouble is, most of it is invisible to us and I'm not sure why that is.

I would state the Question like this: Is it that they are invisible to us, or is it that we are invisible to them? In other words, are we the norm and they the anomaly in this universe or vice versa?

I think there is a fair chance that we are actually the ones hidden away from the rest of the various races and species in the universe, perhaps even for their, and our own protection.

I wrote extensively about the Anunnaki / Elohim, who are clearly ETs of some sort. Yet, they don't visit us in their physical form or at least haven't done so for a few thousand years.

I have a feeling that humanity might be considered an exceptionally violent and thus dangerous race. Perhaps the rest of the universe has learnt to give us a wide berth. Visitations by gods (ETs in truth) were fairly common in ancient times. There was quite a lot of interaction, including intermarriage. Some humans, such as the legendary sage Narada, regularly visited other planets and gave detailed descriptions of them.

I do wonder if this peculiarly-shaped asteroid is a probe meant to suss out whether we're still as violent and unpredictable as we have been for the last few millennia, or whether we've changed for the better.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th November 2018), Dreamtimer (8th November 2018), Elen (9th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thomas speculates on a pan-spermia type dynamic. He wonders whether it's spreading something. He describes its motion as designed for maximum spread, but of what?

No comet dust according to reports.

I've listened to Clif High a couple of times speaking about the Nommo. He and Thomas would differ greatly in terms of space travel. Clif believes they use advanced technology to plow through the interstellar medium, and don't care about how long it takes due to their immortality.

Thomas says that the only way to travel through space is with magic, a la shamanic journeying.

Thomas notes what he sees as controlled movement from Oumuamua, which indicates intelligence.

He also talks about experiencing a change of consciousness.

The Nommo, according to Clif, created eight different beings which mated, leading to the different races of humans on earth. Their kind of immortality involves reincarnation but with all memories retained, if I understood correctly.

Clif says the Annunaki did not create us, but became our 'Gods' and told stories about creating us.

I don't have a personal position on it all other than that I'm nobody's slave.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th November 2018), Chris (8th November 2018), Elen (9th November 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Something has occurred to me:

Dreams since antiquity have held the attention of 'scientists', metaphysicists, soothsayers, prophets, and all the rest of us, including the dream book marketeers. In modern times Freud centered his theory of psychoanalysis around it and Jung expanded on those theories generalizing it to metaconsciousness and metacognition. Though, I guard the nature of dreaming selfishly because it has been the source of my 'power' over people...trust me though, I am totally benign... , but, I think there is a way for the 'all of us' to sharpen and use our own God given awareness in a day-to-day manner.

If we develop our own system/list of abstract symbolism representative of events, hopes, wishes, and even fears in our 'real' lives with practice those symbols will invariably appear in our dreams giving us 'hints' of things to come. Not much to it obviously, but I think it would work.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th May 2019), Dreamtimer (7th May 2019), Elen (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    I'm starting with this one:

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th May 2019), Dreamtimer (7th May 2019), Elen (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    I'm afraid to ask what this particular symbol will bring forth.

But you're completely on the right track. Life does speak to us symbolically. Robert Moss says to look at dreams more literally and life more symbolically.

My dreams are also the source of power as well as life preservation. For me, the clues come from instincts. My instincts know because I saw it in dreams.

Many practice the activity of random messages. For instance, open a book to a random page and read, or go out into the world and note strange happenings or things people say. Note coincidences and synchronicities.

As you learn what symbols are speaking to you you become more fluent. We all have our own language with the world.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th May 2019), Elen (7th May 2019), Emil El Zapato (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    yeah, apparent randomness has many messages. A funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum (that's an old vaudevillian joke...paraphrased, of course )

When I was in grammar school, I was handing out graded test papers and this girl in the class walked up and asked for hers...I was being bombarded by classmates for their papers, so I just reached in to the pile and pulled out a paper and handed it to the girl without looking at it. It was hers and she looked at me and said, "How did you do that!?". She's probably still wondering.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th May 2019), Elen (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Well, I certainly had (yet another) weird dream last night, and although it wasn't a night terror, I would still classify it as a nightmarish dream.

I was on a kind of organized trip in a foreign country together with a bunch of other people, some of whom were guys whom I had known in high school ─ reflecting my school trip to England during the Easter holidays of 1981 ─ and they still looked pretty much the same. I myself was also younger than I am now, but I can't pin an age to it. This is in part because I can't even pin an age to myself in real life ─ I don't feel like my age. Furthermore, my dreams are also often anachronistic ─ e.g. seeing myself as an adult while my four-and-a-half-year-younger brother is still only twelve or thirteen years old. Sometimes my parents and my grandmother are still alive, and sometimes it's my dad who's dead while my mom is still alive, while in reality, she parted from this world two years before he did.

There were also local friends with us from here in town ─ people whom I also haven't seen anymore in many years, I must add. At some point, I got separated from the crowd. I don't know how that happened, but suddenly they were gone and I was left standing all on my own in a kind of market square, in a very big city, in a country of which I didn't speak or even understood the native language ─ I think it was some Eastern European language, but I couldn't really identify it. I tried calling one of the others on my cellphone, but I had taken the wrong cellphone with me, and the screen was so tiny that I couldn't read the characters on the screen ─ in real life, I've never owned a cellphone that looked like that. The battery was also low and I had forgotten to bring the charger with me. I also didn't have any money ─ reflecting my real-life situation, because my necessity to buy a new computer now just over a week ago has put me in a financially very difficult spot for the rest of the month, and I had been thinking about that before I went to bed last night.

At some point, I passed a young guy with an almost shaven head ─ he was not someone I recognized, but he did bear a resemblance to someone I know ─ who was doing tattoos out on the square, and I had him put a tattoo on my upper right arm. It was some symmetrical symbol in a light blue hue ─ somewhat akin to an asterisk in shape, and about 8 cm (or just over 3 inches) in diameter. In real life, if I were to get a tattoo ─ and I have been contemplating that, but like I said, I can't spare the money ─ then it would be on my left arm, not on my right arm. And it would most likely not be a symbol, but rather the line "How many times must a man fall down?" ─ from the song "How Many Times", by Toto ─ and it would be on the inside of my left forearm.

The tattoo was still bleeding as I continued on my search for the hotel, and I had to periodically wipe off the excess blood ─ the tattooist had told me not to wipe it too often, so that it wouldn't get infected. It took me a long time to find the hotel again. It was around 10:00-10:30 in the morning when I got separated from the others and when I then got the tattoo, and it was already sunset by the time I found the hotel again. And when I then went inside, I couldn't even find my own room anymore. I couldn't remember the room number or what floor I was on, and nobody could tell me, because we had checked in as a group, not as individuals, and so the staff didn't know my name or which room from the whole pool of rooms assigned to the group was mine. So I kept on wandering around in that huge hotel, looking for my room, and looking for the others, and ending up in lots of places where I shouldn't have gone ─ e.g. the kitchen, storage rooms, and so on.

I think that the main theme of the dream was desperation and "feeling lost". I often have dreams where I am feeling lost in a big city, or in some big mall that I've never been to. Or that when I finally find the exit, then it turns out to be at a different place from where I had entered the building ─ which happened to me for real when I was in London and visiting Harrod's with a couple of other guys from the group. Likewise, although there was no mention of my car in the dream I had last night, I will often dream of exiting a mall and not finding my own car anymore, either because I am now in a completely different street or because my car is no longer where I had left it.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    that's an interesting dream, Aragorn...Do you think it was giving you hints for the future or a reliving of life experiences?

It sounds like to me that you need to make an effort to reconnect with old friends...friends really do help to let us feel 'attached and secure'. Maybe a sense of making 'wrong turns'.

My recurring dream is of 'burning bridges'. It is kind of a pattern of my life. And in the dreams I am often arguing and complaining that it was unfair but justifiable for me. usually arguing with my dad.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th May 2019), Dreamtimer (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    that's an interesting dream, Aragorn...Do you think it was giving you hints for the future or a reliving of life experiences?

It sounds like to me that you need to make an effort to reconnect with old friends...friends really do help to let us feel 'attached and secure'. Maybe a sense of making 'wrong turns'.
    No, I think it was rather an abstract or perhaps surrealistic representation of how I've been feeling for a long time now. But that said, whenever I dream of someone whom I have not seen in a long time, or someone who's been dead for years, then something either unexpected or unusual is going to happen during the day that follows.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th May 2019), Emil El Zapato (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    ahh, good luck...Do you have lotteries in Belgium? If you were shaving in your dream better buy a ticket

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    ahh, good luck...Do you have lotteries in Belgium?
    Yes, both a national lottery and the EuroMillions lottery. I regularly play the latter, but it's expensive, and it is extremely rare for me to win anything, let alone enough to pay for a new ticket.

If you were shaving in your dream better buy a ticket
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. I was not shaving in my dream. I've either way been maintaining a short-trimmed beard for over 15 years now.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th May 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd June 2019)

Thanks
    THAT'S IT! No, not seriously though...Shaving in a dream is supposedly an indicator of 'getting money'. It is almost always true for me...even unexpectedly.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th May 2019), Dreamtimer (7th May 2019)

Thanks
    THAT'S IT! No, not seriously though...Shaving in a dream is supposedly an indicator of 'getting money'. It is almost always true for me...even unexpectedly.
    Well, I wasn't shaving. But I guess the one thing I can't place, symbolically, is getting that blue asterisk tattoo. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the rest of the dream.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th May 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd June 2019)