Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream On

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I was at a festival last night. It was near water where pleasure boats were docked. There were many telescopes set up for the purpose of looking out over the water. I'm not sure what they were trained on.

Men were getting ready to engage in some games, something like Scottish Highland games.

I was walking around by myself as opposed to being with friends or family. But there were friends and folks I knew around. (this is often the case in waking life)

I was also dreaming some kind of dramatic scenario where one man was mad at another and gave him some kind of scroll which symbolized a sort of threat. There was no actual violence.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th April 2020), Aragorn (24th April 2020), Elen (30th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th April 2020), Gio (30th April 2020), Wind (25th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    my dream was pretty mundane really, back at an old job...talked to an old friend, and people were fighting, drawing blood...just like the good ol' days...uh yeah...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th April 2020), Aragorn (24th April 2020), Dreamtimer (24th April 2020), Elen (30th April 2020), Gio (30th April 2020), Wind (25th April 2020)

Thanks
    Night before last: ice skating on a sandy beach.

Last night:

A neighbor came by with her daughter and her horse. The horse really liked me. I was scratching its face and it was nuzzling me. Then a plane flew overhead powered by three young men who were pedaling, like a bike.

Then we walked through our back yard and up a hill and by some very interesting houses which aren't really there. A friend's daughter was telling me about their style and period and I told her that I didn't know she was interested in architecture. There were some beautiful flowering trees, it was very park-like.

I was inside a house, my parents were still alive and they had installed two fig trees into the walls of the house such that the trunks were visible in a downstairs room, went into the walls, and the tops of the trees came out in an upstairs room.

We played a game which caused snakes to appear and slither up and down the stairs.

Then I was in a bus with a bunch of people, we had just been on a trip, and I was discussing skeptics with a man. I said that I didn't like Michael Shermer, he told me that he did. It was a calm discussion, not emotional. But for some reason, at the end of the conversation, instead of sitting next to me he was outside, sitting on the ground cross-legged talking with me through the window.

I might stitch this. I could get a piece of hand-dyed linen in the right color scheme and then stitch on the stars, galaxies and words.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Elen (30th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Gio (30th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    I don't like Shermer in the sense that I don't like people who identify as skeptics. It's a cheap badge to wear.

It's okay to say that you don't know. It's another thing to be proud of your stubborn closed-mindedness.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (26th April 2020), Elen (30th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Gio (30th April 2020)

Thanks
    my daughter went on a horse trail ride on Thursday...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (26th April 2020), Elen (30th April 2020), Gio (30th April 2020)

Thanks
    Took me a sec. Was she alone? With a couple riders?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Elen (30th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Gio (30th April 2020)

Thanks
    2 friends...one had no experience and the other had grown up with horses but had not ridden much...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Elen (30th April 2020), Gio (30th April 2020)

Thanks
    I dreamt I was in a Star Wars movie. I was Rey. I was having a conversation with Kylo. It was supposed to be dialogue but it was just a conversation. He was talking about how he was going to retreat to his secret place. We were laughing about my bare feet.

In an earlier part of the dream I was in a room which was a replica of a space ship. Even though this was the Star Wars universe, the ship was called the Enterprise. However, it did not look like a Star Trek ship. It looked like one from Star Wars.

But it wasn't a ship at all. It was essentially a room sized paper pop-up. It was an amazing creation.

In a different dream I was part of a scenario from a TV drama. The lead characters were engaging in a police investigation but got trapped by the 'bad guy' who was going to kill them. In the end, however, he decided against it and they all got on a bus to go home.

I dreamt I walked through my back yard into the neighborhood behind us. There were houses with pools in the yards and the pools were all next to each other with no fences in between. I was walking around them, folks were in them either swimming or floating on rafts. They were all part of an audience for a street party just up the way being held by college grads who had hired a band. The band was just starting to play Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean". I was thinking how lucky I was to live nearby. No one had masks and, as noted, there were few fences or walls between the houses.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2020), Elen (30th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (30th April 2020), Gio (30th April 2020), Wind (30th April 2020)

Thanks
    How coronavirus is affecting your dreams – and what to do about it
    MIND 30 April 2020
    By Rowan Hooper

Illustration of a doctor’s dream that involved her investigating quails’ eggs as a possible covid-19 cure
    Julia Lockheart, DreamsID.com

If you feel you’ve been dreaming a lot more recently, the coronavirus crisis and lockdown measures could be to blame. Changes in sleep patterns may mean that many of us are dreaming more or remembering more of the dreams that we have, while the looming threat of the virus may have affected the nature of the dreams themselves.

According to a survey conducted by King’s College London, 62 per cent of people in the UK are getting just as much sleep, if not more, than before stricter social distancing measures began on 23 March. Similar patterns are likely in other countries, and it is reasonable to assume that for some of those staying at home, the time saved from getting ready for work and commuting is being used to get more sleep.

This means dream time and dream recall is probably increasing during the crisis, says Mark Blagrove, a psychologist at Swansea University, UK.

When you sleep for longer, you have more rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. This is the sleep stage from which most dreams are recalled. Modern life, however, typically involves shortened sleep and may be leading to an “epidemic” of dream loss.

That may now be changing for some. “Lack of work schedules may be allowing individuals to wake up without an alarm clock,” says Blagrove. “Natural wake-ups are known to result in longer dreams.”

At the same time, anxiety can disrupt our sleep, leading to more awakenings. When you awaken out of REM sleep, you’re much more likely to remember the dream you were having.

Overnight therapy
    The content and tone of our dreams is also probably being affected. “Our dreams are more likely to incorporate memories from recent waking life that are emotional,” says Blagrove.

“Dreams are thought to be the brain’s way of working out our emotional problems, and the more anxious we become, the more vivid the dream images become,” says Russell Foster, a circadian neuroscientist at the University of Oxford. “After 9/11, many New Yorkers reported dreams of being overwhelmed by a tidal wave or being attacked and robbed.”

Blagrove’s research supports this idea that the function of dreams is to process our emotions and memories, acting in effect as overnight therapy.

Another theory is that dreams also help prepare us for adversity. “The threat-simulation theory predicts that when we are facing threats and feel fear and anxiety, our dream production mechanism starts simulating those fears and worries in our dreams,” says Katja Valli, a cognitive neuroscientist at the University of Turku, Finland.

Blagrove’s work suggests that talking about your dreams can alleviate distress, and lead to greater empathy and social bonding. He recently set up an online dream discussion forum for health workers.

One of the first people to share their dreams in the forum was Libby Nolan, a nurse in Swansea who contracted the coronavirus and started getting nightmares while she was in quarantine. Graduate students at University College London have started a similar forum for sharing, lockdowndreams.com.

Bin the alarm
    The evidence suggests that it is good to talk about your dreams. “Don’t worry about your dreams,” says Foster. “Take comfort in the fact that your brain is doing what it should be doing.”

Start a dream journal if you like, but we don’t know whether remembering the dreams themselves is necessary to get the benefit of REM sleep, says Els van der Helm at sleep consultancy Shleep, in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Van der Helm points out that some studies suggest that women may have intense, recurring dreams more often than men, but there hasn’t been much research into this possible sex difference.

The important thing, says van der Helm, is to not set an alarm in the morning, so you don’t cut short your REM sleep.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article...#ixzz6LIOFHgHe

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd May 2020), Dreamtimer (2nd May 2020), Elen (4th May 2020), Wind (2nd May 2020)

Thanks
    REM sleep is essential for health. There is a genetic disease which leaves people unable to enter REM sleep and unable to dream. I've forgotten the name. The end result is severe headaches followed by a very painful death. I believe there is some dementia involved as well.

Dreams are paramount.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd May 2020), Elen (4th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (2nd May 2020), Wind (2nd May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    'Twas a crazy old night on my end. You wouldn't believe who I hung out with in my dreams last night... First it was David Bowie at some sort of press meeting, then it was the Belgian king Philippe and his brother Laurent at some party, and finally, I had a conversation about sports cars with Sir Patrick Stewart, here in my living room. He speaks a very good Dutch, by the way.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (3rd May 2020), Elen (4th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (3rd May 2020), Wind (3rd May 2020)

Thanks
    I dreamt a family friend called. He wanted to talk to me and my son. We had done a musical performance together and he wanted to do another one with my son. He also shared a video that he had taken of a conversation we all had had. The amazing thing about the video is that we were creating magical energy with our words and gestures and the energy showed up in the video. It looked like white tendrils of energy vaguely resembling lightening but remaining rather than being a flash. It extended out in a sort of spherical shape.

We had wands that we used and this energy was created. But it was also just created with just words and emanated from the chest. It was quite amazing.

Your dream sounds like a lot of fun, Aragorn.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd May 2020), Elen (4th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (3rd May 2020), Wind (3rd May 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    'Twas a crazy old night on my end.
    well, how 'bout that Aragorn...the classic interpretation of that dream is one of popularity.

One time I dreamt that i was hanging out with Jean-Claude Van Damme and when I woke up, I turned on the boob tube and who should I see none other than the muscles from Brussels. It seems he was rubbing elbows with some Arab bigwigs and he generated a lot of negative press because of it.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd May 2020), Dreamtimer (4th May 2020), Elen (4th May 2020), Wind (3rd May 2020)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    'Twas a crazy old night on my end. You wouldn't believe who I hung out with in my dreams last night... First it was David Bowie at some sort of press meeting, then it was the Belgian king Philippe and his brother Laurent at some party, and finally, I had a conversation about sports cars with Sir Patrick Stewart, here in my living room. He speaks a very good Dutch, by the way.

HILARIOUS what a party!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th May 2020), Dreamtimer (4th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (4th May 2020), Wind (4th May 2020)

Thanks
    I dreamt I was at some sort of event. A bagpipe band was starting to play and march down a hill towards a field. I was with a group of my family. The music was very enjoyable and a couple of us started dancing. I danced down the hill, on the side of the crowd. The pathway was gravelly and potentially muddy but I just danced on my toes, spinning at the end. While I was doing this I was thinking how it was so easy, just like in dreams. Silly me, I was dreaming.

I later dreamt I was at a street festival with my sister-in-law. I had ordered and consumed a few drinks. I had already given tokens or payment of some kind but when I went to order the last one the bartender presented me with a bill for $700. Then he added in the last drink and revised the bill to $800. It was then I realized that I had no method of payment with me. Then I woke up.

I was walking along a road with a companion. The further we went the more we saw bugs and bags, perhaps trash bags, to the point that there were beetles all over the place. Once I reached the top of the road the ground was wet sand, like at a beach. I went over to a faucet and washed my feet thoroughly. There were other folks around but I don't know who they were.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th May 2020), Elen (7th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (4th May 2020), Wind (4th May 2020)