Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream On

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Nothing!! Goosebumps all over...thanks...I read it slowly(sometimes twice) as I didn't want to miss anything. So wonderful to read another matriarchal story, and how much she was revered.

P.S. It could have been longer

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th April 2018), Dreamtimer (30th April 2018), Dumpster Diver (28th June 2018), enjoy being (30th April 2018), Kathy (3rd June 2018), modwiz (30th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    P.S. It could have been longer
    One of my semi-secret desires that I would almost trade everything for, (apart from spending time with elephants) would be to be able to sing very well for people. I have lots of times found myself envious of the power to heal that my friends have.
    Along the way, I have had private thoughts of singing at a few funerals, to honour the spirit of the moment. But on those occasions it hasn't happened, because of emotions, and because I cannot be very certain it could fulfil that hope of giving honour.
    This thought first began to inhabit my mind when Nan passed, as she was the first of the 3 grandparents to go (Poppa, her husband having died when I was 6 months old).
    Gran, was the last to pass, as mentioned. In the whole time I knew her, she and Granddad never listened to music. They had an old transistor radio which was used to listen to the news channels and that was it.

So, back to the rest home, during the week, I remembered I had a story I had written, and so pulled it out and read it to her. She whispered to me what sounded at first like, "Read it again". So I read it again, and afterwards she whispered what sounded like, "read it again"! So I began reading it again, and she put her hand on mine which holding the sheet of paper with the story on it. And pulled me in close and repeated what she was saying again. "Sing to me". Wow I was floored by what I had heard.
    So I sang the song which I had envisioned singing if I ever was brave enough. It's not really an easy one to sing for me, as I can't really sing that well! But well, I went ahead anyway, and she did well to make it look like she was well pleased. I am so glad for that moment and still baffled by how that played out.

Oh, missed the bit that drags this post back into the topic of the thread! The song in question. My preferred version by Marcia.
    Last edited by enjoy being, 1st May 2018 at 06:58.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Kathy (3rd June 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    "Sing to me". Wow I was floored by what I had heard.
    So I sang the song which I had envisioned singing if I ever was brave enough. It's not really an easy one to sing for me, as I can't really sing that well! But well, I went ahead anyway, and she did well to make it look like she was well pleased. I am so glad for that moment and still baffled by how that played out.

Oh, missed the bit that drags this post back into the topic of the thread! The song in question. My preferred version by Marcia.
    Is that the song you sang for your Nan? "And surely we never die?" She would have loved it, .

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), enjoy being (1st May 2018), Kathy (3rd June 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    One of my semi-secret desires that I would almost trade everything for, (apart from spending time with elephants) would be to be able to sing very well for people. I have lots of times found myself envious of the power to heal that my friends have.
    Along the way, I have had private thoughts of singing at a few funerals, to honour the spirit of the moment. But on those occasions it hasn't happened, because of emotions, and because I cannot be very certain it could fulfil that hope of giving honour.
    This thought first began to inhabit my mind when Nan passed, as she was the first of the 3 grandparents to go (Poppa, her husband having died when I was 6 months old).
    Gran, was the last to pass, as mentioned. In the whole time I knew her, she and Granddad never listened to music. They had an old transistor radio which was used to listen to the news channels and that was it.

So, back to the rest home, during the week, I remembered I had a story I had written, and so pulled it out and read it to her. She whispered to me what sounded at first like, "Read it again". So I read it again, and afterwards she whispered what sounded like, "read it again"! So I began reading it again, and she put her hand on mine which holding the sheet of paper with the story on it. And pulled me in close and repeated what she was saying again. "Sing to me". Wow I was floored by what I had heard.

I cannot sing anywhere near what I would consider competent. My pitch wavers. Some vocal exercises and proper breathing help but, it did not stop Bob Dylan. I will sing my own songs. Surprisingly, there have been compliments from some people. My trained ear is more critical and will hear mistakes others might miss. The voice is the most moving of all 'instruments' and emotion will transmit even if the notes are not so perfect.
    Last edited by modwiz, 1st May 2018 at 12:35.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Dumpster Diver (28th June 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), enjoy being (2nd May 2018), Kathy (3rd June 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    but, it did not stop Bob Dylan.

Too good. There was this fellow who was a carpenter at work, a blue and white striped shirted muso who would dominate the air waves with his sofistdickated sounds. From it I got to experience Bob Dylans radio shows played back to back a few times. Wow, Bob's spoken word, it made sense of his singing sounding like he was just talking!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st May 2018), Dreamtimer (1st May 2018), Dumpster Diver (28th June 2018), Elen (1st May 2018), Kathy (3rd June 2018), modwiz (1st May 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I was surprised when I listened to early Bob Dylan, he had a nice singing voice.

I had a dream last night that I was looking up into the daytime sky. There were some clouds and in the middle was the full moon. I could see the textures on the surface. As I looked I realized that there was another, smaller full moon right next to it. Then another. I pointed it out to the person I was with, female, I don't know who. She was amazed.

I noticed the clouds had circle patterns and the whole groups of moons and circles went out in a spiral. After I noticed and pointed it out, the sky seemed to go back to 'normal'.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th May 2018), Dumpster Diver (28th June 2018), Elen (9th May 2018), enjoy being (9th May 2018), Kathy (3rd June 2018), modwiz (3rd June 2018)

Thanks
    This is great. Some of the strongest Dream traditions are down under.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL14QD3RYQw

You can see pictures of the lands visited here, culminating in a photo of Richard Dolan getting married, officiated by Catherine Austin Fitts.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 3rd June 2018 at 00:27.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd June 2018), Dumpster Diver (28th June 2018), Elen (4th June 2018), enjoy being (3rd June 2018), Kathy (3rd June 2018), modwiz (3rd June 2018)

Thanks
    Science and sleep and dreams are discussed in this one.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th June 2018), Dumpster Diver (28th June 2018), Elen (4th June 2018)

Thanks
    From Robert Moss's blog:

In all the descriptions of the shaman in the literature – as wounded healer, as guide of souls, as walker between worlds, as negotiator with the spirits – there is an essential element that is rarely featured strongly enough, and is sometimes missed altogether. First and last, the shaman is a dreamer. Shamans typically receive their calling in dreams, and are initiated and trained in the Dreamtime. The heart of their practice is the intentional dream journey. They may incubate dreams to diagnose for a patient and to select the appropriate treatment. They travel – wide awake and lucid – in their dream bodies to find lost souls, to intercede with the spirits, to fight sorcerers and to guide spirits of the departed along the right roads.
    Among the Aborigines of Walcott Inlet, it is believed that the high god Unggud summons potential shamans in dreams. Their initiation will depend on their ability to brave up to a series of fearsome tests, at the end of which they are reborn with a new body and a new brain filled with light. The shaman now has the ability to project a dream double. His powers are described as miriru. In Aboriginal Men of High Degree, A.P.Elkin explains that miriru is fundamentally “the capacity bestowed on a medicine man to go into a dream state or trance with its possibilities.” Here, built into the language of the Earth’s oldest people, is the understanding that the heart of the shaman’s power lies in his or her ability to dream.
    In our everyday modern lives, we stand at the edge of such power, when we dream and remember to do something with our dreams.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th June 2018), Dumpster Diver (28th June 2018), Elen (28th June 2018), jcocks (4th July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    I had a funny/odd dream last night.

I was in a public place speaking to a male friend. We were discussing music, I think. We had given each other a hug at some point.

As we were speaking I noticed he began to become very tall and I was looking up like a child might.

Then a woman came over, said hello nicely, positioned herself between me and my friend and made some kind of statement to let me know that he was her man and I shouldn't try to get too close.

I was thinking about replying and then noticed that she stretched up to his height and I was now conversing with two people who were about eight feet tall. I was looking up at them, noticing this, and I told them I was feeling a little small. They sort of smiled.

Weirdly, they mostly seemed unnaturally tall but I didn't actually feel small. That's weird because in physical life when I stand next to someone very large and/or tall I do in fact feel small. And it's an interesting, weird feeling.

In the dream I noticed that even as I said it I wasn't really feeling it and I found that fact bizarre.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th June 2018), Dumpster Diver (28th June 2018), Elen (28th June 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th June 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    I cannot sing anywhere near what I would consider competent. My pitch wavers. Some vocal exercises and proper breathing help but, it did not stop Bob Dylan. I will sing my own songs. Surprisingly, there have been compliments from some people. My trained ear is more critical and will hear mistakes others might miss. The voice is the most moving of all 'instruments' and emotion will transmit even if the notes are not so perfect.
    I enjoy listening to frogs...must be why I like listening to you so much

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th June 2018), Dreamtimer (28th June 2018), Elen (29th June 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    By happenstance, synchronicity perhaps, if you go to Robert's blog page there is a blue bird pictured. It's a painting by Chagall.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th June 2018), Elen (29th June 2018), modwiz (1st November 2018)

Thanks
    Joe from the Carolinas did a piece on deja vu. He does an analysis including scientific exploration. I'm putting it here because I believe that deja vu is primarily the result of having seen things first in dreaming.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018), modwiz (1st November 2018)

Thanks
    I'm not much of a clothes hound although I do like getting dressed up now and again.

So I've been dreaming of dresses and looking for dresses to wear. I don't wear them very often. They've been quite pretty and of interesting design. It makes me think about trying to make dresses. I haven't sewn in a while, I'd have to work up to it.

I recalled a nightmare for the first time in years. I was strangely excited, simply because it's been so long. It was a strange one in which I was more observer than participant.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th October 2018), Elen (29th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (27th October 2018), modwiz (1st November 2018)

Thanks
    This is interesting. They discuss dreams, precognition, and more.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st November 2018), modwiz (1st November 2018)