Page 138 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3888128135136137138139140141148188 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 3079

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    I have really nothing against Biden himself, but I already have found his policies more than dissappointing. Yet that is not surprising.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th April 2021), Dreamtimer (9th April 2021), Elen (11th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th April 2021)

Thanks
    Jeff Bozo is the world's richest person with a net worth of nearly 200 billion dollars. It's an incomprehensible amount of money...

Elon Musk is not too far behind. I suppose I am a part of the problem by using the services of Amazon. When is too much too much?

Person Counts What Could Be Done With Billionaires’ Money And It Gives You A Perspective On The Economy

I'd just like to understand how free capitalism has not failed? Why are some individuals just allowed to hoard so much money without even giving a crap about their employees? Homelessness and poverty could easily be eradicated in the US, let alone in the world. The system allows this to go on, but for how long? It is sociopathic in it's nature and it's not going to last.

From what I've read, Elon is somewhat of a douchebag in his private life, but at least his inventions have been somewhat contributing to the progress of humanity. Electric cars will be good for the environment and I'm excited about Mars. Yet these issues on planet Earth are staggering and only growing.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS9ZwRXcQCo

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ_DyimkS54

Last edited by Wind, 15th April 2021 at 06:28.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th April 2021), Dreamtimer (13th April 2021), Elen (12th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Electric cars will be good for the environment [...]
    Even though this is off-topic, the notion that electric cars would be better for the environment is actually debatable. While electric cars themselves do not emit any carbon dioxide, the production of a battery-electric car ─ as opposed to an electric car running off a hydrogen fuel cell ─ actually releases more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than a comparable car with an internal combustion engine does over its entire lifetime. And in addition to that, those batteries also have a limited lifetime ─ as all batteries do ─ which creates an additional problem with regard to waste disposal and recycling.

From the practicality vantage, there are also quite a few arguments against battery-powered electric cars and plug-in hybrids, namely that the range is never quite what the manufacturer claims. In fact, it is usually significantly lower, and this is highly dependent on two things. First of all, batteries don't perform well when it's cold, and especially so when it's freezing. Secondly, electric cars and plug-in hybrids have a special braking system that employs a generator to recover electricity when the driver backs off on the accelerator. The generator then uses the forward momentum and inertia of the car to recharge the batteries, which as a result also slows down the car.

So far, so good, except that this is only really useful in city traffic with lots of stop-and-go, and that you will generally see no usefulness in it when driving at a constant speed on the highway, with as a result that the autonomy of your electric vehicle may easily end up being 100 to 200 km less than advertised. And while it takes about five minutes at a gas station to fill up the fuel tank of a car with an internal combustion engine, even Tesla's speed loader network still needs about 50 minutes to restore the charge in your depleted batteries to the recommended 80%.

Not all electric cars can make use of those speed loaders. If you're not driving a Tesla, then you might need to look for another network. Some manufacturers of electric cars have their own recharging stations, and there are also independent recharging stations ─ i.e. independent from the manufacturer of the car ─ but they are all far less widespread than those of the Tesla network, and their plugs may not be compatible with your vehicle. Furthermore, not all of them are speed loaders, and so it may actually take anywhere between three to six hours to recharge your vehicle.

And all of that is of course also on the condition that you actually find one that is not in use, because given how long it takes to recharge an electric vehicle's batteries from a charging station ─ with the quoted-higher-up minimum time of 50 minutes if you find an available speed loader ─ once an electric car is hooked up to the charger, it's going to be sitting there for a while, and its owner might decide to go for a walk in the meantime. And if you're going to recharge the vehicle from your wall power socket at home, then it'll take anywhere from 12 hours to 24 hours, depending on the type of vehicle.

So in the end ─ and again, this is off-topic for the current discussion, even though one could posit that electrically powered vehicles are a hype nowadays due to the political pressure on manufacturers with regard to the carbon dioxide emissions debate, and that capitalism is very susceptible to and driven by hypes such as these (such as for instance the cryptocurrency bubble) ─ the deceptively limited autonomy coupled to the long recharging time and the linked-to-that limited availability of electric speed chargers (and the different standards for the connectors), as well as the fact that the production and recycling of electric vehicles is a lot more harmful to the environment than is commonly known among the public, all are compelling arguments in favor of the internal combustion engine. Or at least, at the moment still.

And just as an environmental side note, internal combustion engines don't necessarily require fossil fuels. Otto-cycle engines ─ i.e. engines running on petrol/gasoline, LPG or natural gas ─ can be adapted to run on ethanol or on hydrogen, and Diesel-cycle engines can run on any variety of mineral oils. And the objections to such conversions are mainly legal and intrinsically connected to capitalism, rather than that there would be technical objections.

See what I did there?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (13th April 2021), Elen (12th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th April 2021), Wind (11th April 2021)

Thanks
    I'd say it's still a developing technology, but those are good observations. Electric cars don't pollute the environment with gas though and they're silent. Don't get me wrong though, I do like some nice old classic cars too even if I'm not a huge car enthusiast.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th April 2021), Dreamtimer (13th April 2021), Elen (12th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th April 2021)

Thanks
    Biden will show his true colors or not. The military industrial complex surely wouldn't want to leave.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDW2nLIxJ1U

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5eCrVM_Q1g
    Last edited by Wind, 15th April 2021 at 06:44.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th April 2021), Elen (16th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th April 2021), Malisa (15th April 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,904 Times in 446 Posts
    Biden will show his true colors or not. The military industrial complex surely wouldn't want to leave.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDW2nLIxJ1U

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5eCrVM_Q1g
    Something "will happen", just by having to mention the 9/11 date, it already shows lol, they could not resist putting that image back into people's mind, so now it's just a matter of saying "we were so close!!!! But.Why.This.Had.To.Happen!!! Oh.Nooooo!" and then they stay 20 more years and the money keeps flowing around

As a separate, but related thing, did you heard that the US was planning on moving two warships into Russia's borders, but Putin sent around 15 ships out there and now the US plan got suddenly 'cancelled' and it was called "Russian Aggression"

What would people think of Russian war ships sitting out there right at the international borders of California? Would that be also "Russian Aggression"? Xi xi, what dumb games

But the US has displayed to the entire world, just last day, that they were just bluffing. Who knows how they're going to come out of that lol, except for the usual diplomacy thing, but who could even begin to believe that anymore..

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/08/p...sea/index.html
    The United States is considering sending warships into the Black Sea in the next few weeks in a show of support for Ukraine amid Russia's increased military presence on Ukraine's eastern border, a US defense official told CNN Thursday.

The US Navy routinely operates in the Black Sea, but a deployment of warships now would send a specific message to Moscow that the US is closely watching, the official said
    And then

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/146472...ers-turn-back/
    RUSSIA has announced another 15 of its warships will sail into the Black Sea amid rising tensions with the US over Ukraine.
    And then...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN2BV14M
    Russia moves warships to Black Sea for drills: Interfax
    https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...omatic-sources

U.S. Cancels Warships Deployment to Black Sea -Turkish Diplomatic Sources

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara had notified Turkey's foreign ministry of the move, the sources said, but did not provide a reason. Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency later reported that no new notices had been conveyed to Ankara for potential deployments at later dates.

U.S. officials said that Turkey may have misunderstood the initial notification and the deployment was never confirmed.
    For sure, escalating things is just not the way to go, good thing someone back on the US had the necessary brain to figure it out before things went wrong

I wonder if you guys have seen any news about this, or as mostly usual, the second one is just not good enough and is replaced by a dog having some fun at the backyard of someone's house :P

Last edited by Malisa, 15th April 2021 at 07:05.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th April 2021), Elen (16th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th April 2021), Wind (15th April 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Malisa View Post
    Something "will happen", just by having to mention the 9/11 date, it already shows lol, they could not resist putting that image back into people's mind, so now it's just a matter of saying "we were so close!!!! But.Why.This.Had.To.Happen!!! Oh.Nooooo!" and then they stay 20 more years and the money keeps flowing around
    Of course, that's such a symbolic day for many and not chosen without a reason. I don't think they will have to blow up more buildings anymore, but I'm sure there will be enough bs scares to "justify" the endless war and nothing will have to change.

For sure, escalating things is just not the way to go, good thing someone back on the US had the necessary brain to figure it out before things went wrong

I wonder if you guys have seen any news about this, or as mostly usual, the second one is just not good enough and is replaced by a dog having some fun at the backyard of someone's house :P
    It's like a return to "normal" cold war times, war games being played everywhere. I don't know what Putin is planning, but obviously there is something happening in Ukraine. Maybe he just wants to show his might to Biden or he actually is serious about escalating things in Ukraine again. Then on the other hand Xi Jinping is seemingly wanting to invade Taiwan with the help of his CCP cronies sometime soon.

This is how humanity handles things even amidst this insane (possibly self-created and unleashed) pandemic.

Do I want to be associated with this species called human? Not really and I'm only pretending to be one.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ6mCI3wpEk
    Last edited by Wind, 15th April 2021 at 08:11.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th April 2021), Elen (16th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th April 2021), Malisa (15th April 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Of course, that's such a symbolic day for many and not chosen without a reason. I don't think they will have to blow up more buildings anymore, but I'm sure there will be enough bs scares to "justify" the endless war and nothing will have to change.

It's like a return to "normal" cold war times, war games being played everywhere. I don't know what Putin is planning, but obviously there is something happening in Ukraine. Maybe he just wants to show his might to Biden or he actually is serious about escalating things in Ukraine again. Then on the other hand Xi Jinping is seemingly wanting to invade Taiwan with the help of his CCP cronies sometime soon.

This is how humanity handles things even amidst this insane (possibly self-created and unleashed) pandemic.
    Both Russia and the US will benefit from this game. The Ukraine unfortunately, messed up at the end of 1992 or so, when they gave up all their power and position in the world in the name of fake promises both by my country and by the US... lol

How Bamboozled they got indeed, they went from being the third nuclear power in the world to not being able to afford a new war ship and having to ask for hand downs from the US, lamentable..

The real reason this may be happening i think, is that both the US and Russia + China, want to move to exploring and extracting whatever is on the north pole, and for that, they need money, tons and tons of it. But that money won't come easy, they need support from the people, and the best way to do that is the traditional way, "we need money because this other country is treating us, so we need to build up our army dudes!" And then the money goes into the resource fund needed to build up on the arctic.. "For the benefit of human kind"

Same game v2.0 indeed

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th April 2021), Elen (16th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th April 2021), Wind (15th April 2021)

Thanks
    Here in Finland Russia is always seen as the big bad wolf (or should I say bear) at least among some people, as you might know the history. Anyways, there's always a push towards NATO from certain parties and I think that would be a huge mistake to provoke Russia. I don't get that anyways, why is something like that needed. Finland has always tried to do things in a way which wouldn't upset Russia and be "buddies" with them. That only changed slightly more when SU fell. Only then Finland started to rely more on the West, USA and EU more. Now it's a balance act between pleasing EU, Russia and USA.

If China and Russia join forces then I think USA will have a big adversary to face and God only knows what that might lead to... So far there has been only one real empire ruling the world and that has been the American one with superior military strength. History shows that empires always eventually will fall and the aftermath of that will be quite something. "History never repeats itself but it rhymes."
    Last edited by Wind, 15th April 2021 at 08:28.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th April 2021), Elen (16th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th April 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Here in Finland Russia is always seen as the big bad wolf (or should I say bear) at least among some people, as you might know the history. Anyways, there's always a push towards NATO from certain parties and I think that would be a huge mistake to provoke Russia. I don't get that anyways, why is something like that needed. Finland has always tried to do things in a way which wouldn't upset Russia and be "buddies" with them. That only changed slightly more when SU fell. Only then Finland started to rely more on the West, USA and EU more. Now it's a balance act between pleasing EU, Russia and USA.

If China and Russia join forces then I think USA will have a big adversary to face and God only knows what that might lead to...

So far there has been only one real empire ruling the world and that has been the American one with superior military strength.

History shows that empires always eventually will fall and the aftermath of that will be quite something.
    I've seen this same thing through some friends point of view. Why do countries have to chose a side? So it never really ended, then? Why can the countries just be "them" and get done with business and move on, no no they have to chose a side, and if not, then problem comes around (like Lybia)

World governments: You either fall with the "Communists" or with the "Capitalists"..
    Some small country: But wait, i don't care for either side, i have Capitamunist!...
    World governments: You dead

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The players with the bigger toys get to make all the rules. Small players won't have much say in that.

It's like bullies in a schoolyard dominating the smaller and weaker ones. "Either you're with us or you're against us."

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    I haven't had a chance to read the above posts but 2 things about Biden's move stand out to me.

I think he believes that entities such as ISIS, Taliban, etc believe their worst nightmare is for the U.S. to pull out their forces. At this point they don't care if they win or not, they just want the steady flow of income. Some of the 'bad guys' might even have themselves still believing that they are in this for philosophical reasons.

If the U.S. can weather gracefully the inevitable bad guy surge when they leave initially, things will resolve themselves internally, they will likely need outside intervention of some kind though to avoid the bad guy's revenge gone wild against their own people for letting the U.S. get away.

Russia is not bad, Putin is just another Golden One, a narcissist in it for all the narcissistic reasons, glory, money, power, having a statue ... pffft.

Biden's move is a dramatic swing away from the last 20 years of military philosophy and for good reason, the pendulum of risk has flopped from guerrilla warfare threats to the threat of open warfare among those vying for superpower. In honesty my feeling is that China is the greatest economic threat and Russia is the greatest military threat, if only because Putin is willing to use it to satisfy his distorted ego. He has been a strutting peacock for quite some time.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th April 2021), Elen (16th April 2021), Wind (15th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Gio is gone?
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th April 2021), Dreamtimer (17th April 2021), Elen (17th April 2021), Wind (16th April 2021)

Thanks
    For now.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th April 2021), Dreamtimer (17th April 2021), Elen (17th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th April 2021)

Thanks
    I'm speechless really.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7mmyKWXUs

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (17th April 2021), Elen (17th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th April 2021)