Page 122 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2272112119120121122123124125132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 3079

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Some friends of ours have neighbors who periodically have parties. In advance, the neighbors cover all their windows with paper, or something which cannot be seen through. When their guests arrive they are clad in very interesting attire. Lots of leather and accoutrements.

Our friends have never attended any of these parties.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (16th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (15th November 2020), Wind (16th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    lol, I guess it's more common that I would have ever expected. People ... Animals ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (15th November 2020), Elen (16th November 2020), Wind (16th November 2020)

Thanks
    When I first heard that people could get addicted to sex I thought it was a joke. But it's not.

I also thought people were pulling my leg when they talked about people being gay. But they weren't.

I wasn't particularly sheltered, my parents didn't try to hide these facts from me. My family was just really 'normal'. Very heterosexual, very monogamous, meat-eating, church-going (not mega-church stuff), community supporting, almost Mayberry in their existence.

I didn't realize until early teenage years that everyone didn't live like we did. We moved around the country but the neighborhoods we lived in were all very similar.

I knew there were very rich people and very poor people but other than that...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (16th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (15th November 2020), Wind (16th November 2020)

Thanks
    interesting ... my dad once told the story about how when he was in the military ... must have been just over 18 when a gay individual approached him and started getting overly friendly. He said some of his friends got all over the guy and summarily dismissed him. When they told my dad that the dude was gay, he was 'surprised' not knowing that such individuals existed. Not a slam, i so wanna be politically correct, just a story.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th November 2020), Elen (16th November 2020), Wind (16th November 2020)

Thanks
    Has Bush's brain gone into dementia?

I'm just curious because Rove had all these things to say about Cory Bush, who just got elected to the House, and he described her as being from Baltimore.

She's from St Louis, MO. Not even really near Baltimore.

And what about the numbers of Republicans in Washington who thought she was Breonna Taylor because her face mask had Breonna's name on it?

I mean, if you're going to pretend to understand the circumstances of black folks in America, you really should know who you're talking to/about.

Breonna is dead. Shot dead in her bed by police.

I guess black women are terrifying even when asleep in bed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (17th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (16th November 2020)

Thanks

Rockeymoore Remembers Brother-In-Law, U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings

Maryland Rep. Elijah E. Cummings is remembered across the nation as a powerful orator and civil rights activist, and is missed by those who knew him personally.

San Marcos City Councilmember Mark Rockeymoore, whose sister was married to the late Congressman, said the time he spent with Cummings was a blessing. Cummings passed away on Oct. 17 from complications of longstanding health problems, reports the Associated Press.

“He will be missed greatly by all who knew him personally and many who knew of him,” Rockeymoore said in a statement. “His words and deeds mark him as a truly great man and it was my honor to know and love him.”

Rockeymoore said he first met Cummings at his sister’s — Maya Rockeymoore Cummings — doctoral graduation from Purdue University.

“Over the years, he became a fixture in our lives as my sister’s life partner and then husband in 2008,” Rockeymoore said.

The Congressman was always accessible, according to Rockeymoore.

“When I ran for office in 2018, he asked me what my platform was and approved,” Rockeymoore said. “He told me to always listen to the people and you can’t go wrong. When I won office in December of (2018) after a runoff, he told me again to always listen to the people and do their will. He also said he was proud of me and he was confident in my ability to stand for the city of San Marcos.”

Cummings served as chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee and former President Barack Obama said in a tweet that “he showed us all not only the importance of checks and balances within our democracy, but also the necessity of good people stewarding it.

Rockeymoore said the loss of Cummings at this time is traumatic for the nation, but even more so for his sister and Cummings’ children.

“The time I spent with him was a blessing, but to know that a man of such caliber was my sister’s husband was a comfort indeed,” Rockeymoore said.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th November 2020), Elen (24th November 2020), Octopus Garden (24th November 2020), Wind (23rd November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Huh, that's Rahkyt.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th November 2020), Elen (24th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th November 2020), Octopus Garden (24th November 2020)

Thanks
    Boy do I wish I hadn't just read Bill's words.

Although it does help to see how folks so easily parse words and then make wholesale judgements about a person's belief systems. Coming from the man who presented so many questionable figures...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (25th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th November 2020), Octopus Garden (24th November 2020), Wind (24th November 2020)

Thanks
    I've been marveling at how folks can believe that Trump is any kind of savior or Christian.

That would be like believing that my dog is the best cat ever. Everybody knows it. You know it, and they know it. Nobody's ever seen anything like it. My dog is the best cat ever!

For Christian fundamentalists, being taught to suppress critical thinking begins at a very early age. It is the combination of the brain’s vulnerability to believing unsupported facts and aggressive indoctrination that create the perfect storm for gullibility. Due to the brain’s neuroplasticity, or ability to be sculpted by lived experiences, evangelicals literally become hardwired to believe far-fetched statements.

This wiring begins when they are first taught to accept Biblical stories not as metaphors for living life practically and purposefully, but as objective truth. Mystical explanations for natural events train young minds to not demand evidence for beliefs. As a result, the neural pathways that promote healthy skepticism and rational thought are not properly developed.
    This is from Bobby Azarian who is a neuroscientist.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (25th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th November 2020), Octopus Garden (24th November 2020)

Thanks
    yeah, I remember a few discussions with Mark and his wife, very nice people and it was obvious that Mark was a gentle soul and suffered from the abuse of his dignity. I totally empathize with him.

"This is from Bobby Azarian who is a neuroscientist."

Couple that with the psychological output of the 'double-bind' and it's Bye Bye Birdie.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th November 2020), Elen (25th November 2020), Octopus Garden (24th November 2020)

Thanks
    My half sister's latest book - Mary Madrigal née Cocco

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (30th November 2020), Elen (25th November 2020), Octopus Garden (24th November 2020), Wind (24th November 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post

Rockeymoore Remembers Brother-In-Law, U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings

Maryland Rep. Elijah E. Cummings is remembered across the nation as a powerful orator and civil rights activist, and is missed by those who knew him personally.

San Marcos City Councilmember Mark Rockeymoore, whose sister was married to the late Congressman, said the time he spent with Cummings was a blessing. Cummings passed away on Oct. 17 from complications of longstanding health problems, reports the Associated Press.

“He will be missed greatly by all who knew him personally and many who knew of him,” Rockeymoore said in a statement. “His words and deeds mark him as a truly great man and it was my honor to know and love him.”

Rockeymoore said he first met Cummings at his sister’s — Maya Rockeymoore Cummings — doctoral graduation from Purdue University.

“Over the years, he became a fixture in our lives as my sister’s life partner and then husband in 2008,” Rockeymoore said.

The Congressman was always accessible, according to Rockeymoore.

“When I ran for office in 2018, he asked me what my platform was and approved,” Rockeymoore said. “He told me to always listen to the people and you can’t go wrong. When I won office in December of (2018) after a runoff, he told me again to always listen to the people and do their will. He also said he was proud of me and he was confident in my ability to stand for the city of San Marcos.”

Cummings served as chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee and former President Barack Obama said in a tweet that “he showed us all not only the importance of checks and balances within our democracy, but also the necessity of good people stewarding it.

Rockeymoore said the loss of Cummings at this time is traumatic for the nation, but even more so for his sister and Cummings’ children.

“The time I spent with him was a blessing, but to know that a man of such caliber was my sister’s husband was a comfort indeed,” Rockeymoore said.
    Yep, that's Rahkyt. Amazing guy. Lovely human being. When I found out he left Avalon, I didn't have much of a desire to go back.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (30th November 2020), Elen (25th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th November 2020), Wind (24th November 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I've been marveling at how folks can believe that Trump is any kind of savior or Christian.

That would be like believing that my dog is the best cat ever. Everybody knows it. You know it, and they know it. Nobody's ever seen anything like it. My dog is the best cat ever!

This is from Bobby Azarian who is a neuroscientist.
    Wow. Thanks for that, Dreamtimer. It explains a LOT. I wonder if that whole phenomenon can be extended to the spiritual, esoteric realm. For instance, in group ufo sightings, some people clearly see them and others don't. That may be a trickster like effect of the phenomenon itself, or what you have just described, above.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (30th November 2020), Elen (25th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th November 2020)

Thanks
    What I knew of him, he would have been hard for anybody to dislike ... I'm sure there are things I don't know.

Social Justice Warrior ... Why would anybody NOT be a social justice warrior ... justice or the lack of it is what defines us a human species. I guess I can understand why many just don't get that and the reasons ain't pretty.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (30th November 2020), Elen (25th November 2020), Octopus Garden (30th November 2020)

Thanks
    Social justice warrior was turned into a bad word some time ago. Years. It's the same dynamic as turning liberal into a bad word. These drums have been beaten for decades. Many folks are bound to succumb.

"It must be true. People keep saying it."

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (30th November 2020), Octopus Garden (30th November 2020)