Page 72 of 206 FirstFirst ... 22626970717273747582122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 3079

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Tucker likes to call people monkeys, too.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (17th March 2019), Elen (17th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Carlson disgusts me starting with that inherent sneer of his...He is another one of those people that have zero humanity...he has no soul, that much is obvious. A perfect representative of the right, fo' sho'

Assembling a cast are you, Christopher...lol.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (17th March 2019), Dreamtimer (19th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019)

(account terminated) England
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Tucker likes to call people monkeys, too.
    Am surprised to see you quoting Georgia .
    All the info I received from Truth Finder gives your details in Maryland .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019)

(account terminated) England
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Carlson disgusts me starting with that inherent sneer of his...He is another one of those people that have zero humanity...he has no soul, that much is obvious. A perfect representative of the right, fo' sho'

Assembling a cast are you, Christopher...lol.
    Look how you have turned yourselves collectively into Godlike Productions .
    As I said elsewhere there is absolutely no difference between the two social platforms . Go and look . Hold up the mirror to your true reflection .
    One is littered with nutty right wingers as this is with equally deranged persons on the left .

The differences between the two Monkey Houses are very few . The similarities are huge . In fact you and Dreamtimer cannot stop talking about your cousins . Fancy some nuts ?
    But no scratching please .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Here is the thing, Christopher...

I give up, I don't know what the thing is...My derangement is a desire to see the world collaborate for a better experience. that's it. Please dissect the nature of that disturbance for me...would you?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (17th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Christopher View Post
    Look how you have turned yourselves collectively into Godlike Productions .
    As I said elsewhere there is absolutely no difference between the two social platforms . Go and look . Hold up the mirror to your true reflection .
    One is littered with nutty right wingers as this is with equally deranged persons on the left .

The differences between the two Monkey Houses are very few . The similarities are huge . In fact you and Dreamtimer cannot stop talking about your cousins . Fancy some nuts ?
    But no scratching please .
    As I have told you, Christopher, if you don't like it here, then you are very welcome to leave. And if you continue insulting the forum, then we'd be more than happy to help you pack your bags.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th March 2019), Kathy (17th March 2019), Wind (18th March 2019)

Thanks
    Honestly, Aragorn...I'm always in favor of finding compromise or a middle ground for communication...I think Christopher has zero value to offer. He has no sense...he is a lost cause unless he is only in his 20's. I used to tease my daughter about running people down in the streets. It was always good for a laugh, but at the same time, she suggested I not plow over kids, 'because they still had potential'...
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 17th March 2019 at 17:07.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (17th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Wind (18th March 2019)

Thanks
    Honestly, Aragorn...I'm always in favor of finding compromise or a middle ground for communication...I think Christopher has zero value to offer. He has no sense...he is a lost cause unless he only in his 20's.
    No, he's close to my age ─ one year older, I think.

I used to tease my daughter about running people down in the streets. It was always good for a laugh, but at the same time, she suggested I not plow over kids, 'because they still had potential'...
    Well, if you're going to be running people down, then you've got to buy a Mercedes-Benz, man. They've got a reticle on the front of the hood to help you with your aim.

Hmm, I guess my sense of humor must after all be larger than a proton, then.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th March 2019), Kathy (18th March 2019), Wind (18th March 2019)

Thanks
    wow...amen to that...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (17th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    No, he's close to my age ─ one year older, I think.

Well, if you're going to be running people down, then you've got to buy a Mercedes-Benz, man. They've got a reticle on the front of the hood to help you with your aim.

Hmm, I guess my sense of humor must after all be larger than a proton, then.
    FINALLY...someone that made me laugh...

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (18th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (18th March 2019), Kathy (18th March 2019), Wind (18th March 2019)

Thanks

Thinking

There was a shooting incident in Utrecht, the Netherlands, at approximately 10:45 CET this morning. The perpetrator had hijacked a car ─ a red Renault Clio ─ and opened fire on a tram. Three people are dead, five are wounded, and of those five, three are still fighting for their life.

The shooter, Gökmen Tanis, 37 years old, is of Turkish origin but was already well known to the Dutch authorities. He had already been arrested for drunk driving, shoplifting, rape, various threats and other antisocial behavior, and an earlier shooting incident in which he fired a weapon in the direction of an apartment building, all between 2012 and 2017.

He was arrested between 18:00 and 18:30 CET this evening ─ half an hour to an hour ago as I'm writing this.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Dreamtimer (19th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Wind (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    How faraway is that from you, Aragorn...I heard about it on the news this morning.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (18th March 2019), Dreamtimer (19th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Wind (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    How faraway is that from you, Aragorn...I heard about it on the news this morning.
    Utrecht is about 155 km away from where I live, or about 1 hour and 40 minutes of driving ─ mostly on highways.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Dreamtimer (19th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (18th March 2019), Wind (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    At least we know who we are now. It has never been clearer. This is from a Ph.D contributor to Psychology Today

An Analysis of Trump Supporters Has Identified 5 Key Traits
    A new report sheds light on the psychological basis for Trump's support

The lightning-fast ascent and political invincibility of Donald Trump has left many experts baffled and wondering, “How did we get here?” Any accurate and sufficient answer to that question must not only focus on Trump himself, but also on his uniquely loyal supporters. Given their extreme devotion and unwavering admiration for their highly unpredictable and often inflammatory leader, some have turned to the field of psychology for scientific explanations based on precise quantitative data and established theoretical frameworks.

Although analyses and studies by psychologists and neuroscientists have provided many thought-provoking explanations for his enduring support, the accounts of different experts often vary greatly, sometimes overlapping and other times conflicting. However insightful these critiques may be, it is apparent that more research and examination is needed to hone in on the exact psychological and social factors underlying this peculiar human behavior.

In a recent review paper published in the Journal of Social and Political Psychology, Psychologist and UC Santa Cruz professor Thomas Pettigrew argues that five major psychological phenomena can help explain this exceptional political event.

1. Authoritarian Personality Syndrome

Authoritarianism refers to the advocacy or enforcement of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom, and is commonly associated with a lack of concern for the opinions or needs of others. Authoritarian personality syndrome—a well-studied and globally-prevalent condition—is a state of mind that is characterized by belief in total and complete obedience to one’s authority. Those with the syndrome often display aggression toward outgroup members, submissiveness to authority, resistance to new experiences, and a rigid hierarchical view of society. The syndrome is often triggered by fear, making it easy for leaders who exaggerate threat or fear monger to gain their allegiance.

Although authoritarian personality is found among liberals, it is more common among the right-wing around the world. President Trump’s speeches, which are laced with absolutist terms like “losers” and “complete disasters,” are naturally appealing to those with the syndrome.

While research showed that Republican voters in the U.S. scored higher than Democrats on measures of authoritarianism before Trump emerged on the political scene, a 2016 Politico survey found that high authoritarians greatly favored then-candidate Trump, which led to a correct prediction that he would win the election, despite the polls saying otherwise.

2. Social dominance orientation

Social dominance orientation (SDO)—which is distinct but related to authoritarian personality syndrome—refers to people who have a preference for the societal hierarchy of groups, specifically with a structure in which the high-status groups have dominance over the low-status ones. Those with SDO are typically dominant, tough-minded, and driven by self-interest.

In Trump’s speeches, he appeals to those with SDO by repeatedly making a clear distinction between groups that have a generally higher status in society (White), and those groups that are typically thought of as belonging to a lower status (immigrants and minorities).

A 2016 survey study of 406 American adults published this year in the journal Personality and Individual Differences found that those who scored high on both SDO and authoritarianism were those who intended to vote for Trump in the election.

3. Prejudice

It would be grossly unfair and inaccurate to say that every one of Trump’s supporters have prejudice against ethnic and religious minorities, but it would be equally inaccurate to say that many do not. It is a well-known fact that the Republican party, going at least as far back to Richard Nixon’s “southern strategy,” used strategies that appealed to bigotry, such as lacing speeches with “dog whistles”—code words that signaled prejudice toward minorities that were designed to be heard by racists but no one else.

While the dog whistles of the past were more subtle, Trump’s are sometimes shockingly direct. There’s no denying that he routinely appeals to bigoted supporters when he calls Muslims “dangerous” and Mexican immigrants “rapists” and “murderers,” often in a blanketed fashion. Perhaps unsurprisingly, a new study has shown that support for Trump is correlated with a standard scale of modern racism.

4. Intergroup contact

Intergroup contact refers to contact with members of groups that are outside one’s own, which has been experimentally shown to reduce prejudice. As such, it’s important to note that there is growing evidence that Trump’s white supporters have experienced significantly less contact with minorities than other Americans. For example, a 2016 study found that “…the racial and ethnic isolation of Whites at the zip-code level is one of the strongest predictors of Trump support.” This correlation persisted while controlling for dozens of other variables. In agreement with this finding, the same researchers found that support for Trump increased with the voters’ physical distance from the Mexican border.

5. Relative deprivation

Relative deprivation refers to the experience of being deprived of something to which one believes they are entitled. It is the discontent felt when one compares their position in life to others who they feel are equal or inferior but have unfairly had more success than them.

Common explanations for Trump’s popularity among non-bigoted voters involve economics. There is no doubt that some Trump supporters are simply angry that American jobs are being lost to Mexico and China, which is certainly understandable, although these loyalists often ignore the fact that some of these careers are actually being lost due to the accelerating pace of automation.

These Trump supporters are experiencing relative deprivation, and are common among the swing states like Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. This kind of deprivation is specifically referred to as “relative,” as opposed to “absolute,” because the feeling is often based on a skewed perception of what one is entitled to. For example, an analysis conducted by FiveThirtyEight estimated that the median annual income of Trump supporters was $72,000.

If such data is accurate, the portrayal of most Trump supporters as “working class” citizens rebelling against Republican elites may be more myth than fact.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 18th March 2019 at 23:45.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (19th March 2019), Dreamtimer (19th March 2019), Elen (19th March 2019), Wind (19th March 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Utrecht is where the original meetings were held forming the EU, n'est pas?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2019), Aragorn (19th March 2019), Elen (19th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (19th March 2019)