Page 69 of 206 FirstFirst ... 19596667686970717279119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 3083

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I heard this fellow the other day say that there is no such thing as "not a racist". And of course that got me thinking. I would certainly say that about me and others I know. We're not racists. So how do I fit in with what he says?

First off, if there is no such thing as "not a racist", then we're all racist to one degree or another.

To be racist one thing must be true: you have to believe in race. You have to believe there are different races to be a racist.

So those who don't believe in race can't be racists. They may have vile prejudices, but they're not racist.

Believe is the key word here. Because there is no objective evidence to support the idea.

We are 99 point something percent similar to chimpanzees. We can't have children with them. Thank God. No hybrids, please.

Humans can have children with each other regardless of phenotype. The appearances are really only skin deep.

The rare blood-type and genetic issues which cause individuals trouble are not evidence of race.

Seeking pure blood-lines leads to inbreeding. We see that with monarchies, Amish and Mennonites, some jewish groups, and more.

There is no pure or superior race simply because there is no such thing. The only way it could be true is if there is a new species. But species is not the same as race.

And that's because there's no such thing.

So I'm not a racist according to my analysis, but many are according to their beliefs. No such thing as race, yet folks are racist. Cognitive dissonance in full stride.
    I like it!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th February 2019), Dreamtimer (16th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (16th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,164 Times in 11,946 Posts
    I just realized that an old friend of mine grew up around aurora, illinois and went to school where one of the dead was attending...Northern Illinois University.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th February 2019), Dreamtimer (17th February 2019), Elen (16th February 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    I heard this fellow the other day say that there is no such thing as "not a racist". And of course that got me thinking. I would certainly say that about me and others I know. We're not racists. So how do I fit in with what he says?

First off, if there is no such thing as "not a racist", then we're all racist to one degree or another.

To be racist one thing must be true: you have to believe in race. You have to believe there are different races to be a racist.

So those who don't believe in race can't be racists. They may have vile prejudices, but they're not racist.

Believe is the key word here. Because there is no objective evidence to support the idea.

We are 99 point something percent similar to chimpanzees. We can't have children with them. Thank God. No hybrids, please.

Humans can have children with each other regardless of phenotype. The appearances are really only skin deep.

The rare blood-type and genetic issues which cause individuals trouble are not evidence of race.

Seeking pure blood-lines leads to inbreeding. We see that with monarchies, Amish and Mennonites, some jewish groups, and more.

There is no pure or superior race simply because there is no such thing. The only way it could be true is if there is a new species. But species is not the same as race.

And that's because there's no such thing.

So I'm not a racist according to my analysis, but many are according to their beliefs. No such thing as race, yet folks are racist. Cognitive dissonance in full stride.

the mind, where belief systems hang out, may not be racist... but... the brain? Information is percolating to the surface from the neurobiology gold mine fields that's barkin' a strong case that claim may not be so given test results indicating we may be hard wired to be racist.

Which means, if true, that wiring is in the DNA... which leads to the next question... where'd those imprints come from?

yes, there's a dif... but... the brain is only processing what it is receiving from its will and spirit... iow... in body, from our feelings... and... from our mind...

and right there, with those last words, might be a good place to start on the unpackin' I offered here... but i'm still soakin'...

meanwhile... from wiki....

Robert Sapolsky

Sapolsky in 2009
    Born April 6, 1957 (age 61)
    Brooklyn, New York
    Residence United States
    Nationality American
    Education Harvard University (B.A.)
    Rockefeller University (Ph.D.)
    Scientific career
    Fields Neurobiology, physiology,[1] biological anthropology
    Institutions Stanford University
    Thesis The neuroendocrinology of stress and aging (1984)
    Doctoral advisor Bruce McEwen
    Other academic advisors Melvin Konner[2]
    Robert Morris Sapolsky (born April 6, 1957) is an American neuroendocrinologist and author. He is currently a professor of biology, and professor of neurology and neurological sciences and, by courtesy, neurosurgery, at Stanford University. In addition, he is a research associate at the National Museums of Kenya.[3]
    this Sapolsky vid is an hour + 21. I thought it was x-lent and my, my, they are really getting on with it on brain function! it appears they are coming up with more and more ways to get the brain to tell on itself.

if u watch his vid DT, i'd be forever grateful in hearing your reaction on how it, when overlaid on how U now hold it, may have shifted your position as you so eloquently justified... or... perhaps fortified it...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th February 2019), Dreamtimer (17th February 2019), Elen (17th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th February 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Thanks, palooka. I'll give it a listen later today.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th February 2019), Elen (17th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th February 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanks, palooka. I'll give it a listen later today.
    1st things 1st... go play GOLF...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2019), Dreamtimer (17th February 2019), Elen (17th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th February 2019)

Thanks
    If the weather was good it'd be knife-throwing. But it's too cold and will be wet later.

I do play disc-golf.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2019), Elen (17th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th February 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    If the weather was good it'd be knife-throwing. But it's too cold and will be wet later.

I do play disc-golf.

Is that you Dreamtimer? If it is...great aim for the camera. Do you still have a camera?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2019), Dreamtimer (18th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th February 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks

I do play disc-golf.

i can see U with excellent aim... pity the bullseye... which... even as yer victim... has a deep appreciation for your finesse... as do eye... still.... if'n ya don't mind.... shoot me a head's up next time yer headed' that way...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2019), Dreamtimer (18th February 2019), Elen (17th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th February 2019)

Thanks
    From the video at 22:12,

"Few things activate the dopamine system more than the prospect of righteous punishment."
    Well, there you go. "Lock her up1 Lock her up! Lock him up! Lock them up!" We've already heard the 'her' and the 'him'. Next is 'them'.

Which is us.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2019), Elen (17th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th February 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    From the video at 22:12,

Well, there you go. "Lock her up1 Lock her up! Lock him up! Lock them up!" We've already heard the 'her' and the 'him'. Next is 'them'.

Which is us.
    'n that's when all bets go off the table... when the survival chakra gets triggered into ignition....

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2019), Dreamtimer (18th February 2019), Elen (18th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    Is that you Dreamtimer? If it is...great aim for the camera. Do you still have a camera?
    I do. It's getting old and not working so well. It may be time for a new one.

I realized recently that I've completely dropped the ball on posting pictures so I'll try to get going with that again. I have thousands. It's a little overwhelming. I'm getting a photo printer up and running.

That's not me playing but it could be. The courses we play on look like that. There are trees, sometimes streams or ponds, sometimes fields. One course has a small plane airport nearby and you see all kinds of small craft coming in as you play.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2019), Elen (18th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (18th February 2019)

Thanks
    Reminds of a story a guy from San Diego told me once. I had joined up with him on a golf course and we were waiting to tee off. He mentioned he was from San Diego and I mentioned that I had been in San Diego the day of the airliner crash. He mentioned that some people were still highly traumatized having watched from windows as the plane came in.

Which jogged my dream memory...Last night I dreamed of the falling planes again...it was crazy.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th February 2019), Dreamtimer (18th February 2019), Elen (18th February 2019)

Thanks
    I used to have dreams about planes crashing, although I can't really say they were falling. Sometimes, sometimes just flying into the ground.

Grrr...I just lost my comments from watching the video. I'll have to go back and try to recreate them.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (18th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (19th February 2019)

Thanks
    falling, smashing...same result...

the pieces were sizzling like shrapnel...and it got worse. I think watching 'Ninja something or other' before falling asleep might have had something to do with that.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th February 2019), Dreamtimer (18th February 2019), Elen (18th February 2019)

Thanks
    Although I'm here for a more profound reason, I just want to say that we recently watched the Lego Batman movie and I really enjoyed it. And I've seen bits of the first lego movie, very funny. I bet it would be fun to see the newest one in the theaters.

(Thought of you, Dumpy.:batman:batman:batman)

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd February 2019), Elen (23rd February 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd February 2019)