Page 54 of 206 FirstFirst ... 4445152535455565764104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 81,108 Times in 20,309 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    I just heard something hilarious on the radio:

A republican congressman from Alabama was testifying at a hearing on global warming. He is a member of the Science, Space, and Technology committe which is why he was there. He made this suggestion:

"The ocean levels rising might not be due to warming, it could be rising because of all the rocks falling in it"... lol! Yes, he actually said that.
    Well, we all know that Donald Trump doesn't want any scientists on his Science, Space & Technology Committee, nor on his Agricultural Board. And we also all know that politicians are stupid people who think they look smart by wearing a suit and tie.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (13th October 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    I just heard something hilarious on the radio:

A republican congressman from Alabama was testifying at a hearing on global warming. He is a member of the Science, Space, and Technology committe which is why he was there. He made this suggestion:

"The ocean levels rising might not be due to warming, it could be rising because of all the rocks falling in it"... lol! Yes, he actually said that.
    there are a lot of this sort of embarrassment floating to the top these days. ie...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th October 2018), Dreamtimer (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (13th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,178 Times in 11,953 Posts
    lol, jeezus h. Christ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th October 2018), Dreamtimer (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Bush used to talk about listening to "his generals on the ground". The idea being that they were the experts.

The leader we have now doesn't believe in experts. Or science, apparently. Or norms, or traditions, or morays, or standards, or rule-of-law...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (14th October 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Bush used to talk about listening to "his generals on the ground". The idea being that they were the experts.

The leader we have now doesn't believe in experts. Or science, apparently. Or norms, or traditions, or morays, or standards, or rule-of-law...
    Or anything else that a civilized human being would appreciate...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th October 2018), Dreamtimer (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018)

Thanks
    My daughter is going to be very disappointed in me...One of the cats she got a couple of years ago has been gone for 3 days now. I hope wherever she is she is ok...I always hear my cats 'meow' in my head ...the brain does this quite commonly. When I was letting the other cat out this morning, I swear I could hear the other kitty 'meow'. My other cat turned to look at the same time so he seem to hear it, too or he might have just been keying off me...cats will do that too.

Just now, I heard my male cat fighting with the neighborhood bully and so I ran outside to save him. The bully cat jumped on the fence as it was heading out believe it or not it gave my cat the eye bat...a signifier of cat love. This bully cat is the kind of cat that attacks even its own step-siblings (it was adopted as a stray). Anyway, I hope that cat didn't hurt my little siamese mix...

it is a pretty little cat, if she is gone forever, I hope someone stole her and will give her a good home...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th October 2018), Dreamtimer (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018)

Thanks
    I'm mourning the loss of a cat that wasn't even mine. He was still a kitten...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (14th October 2018), Fred Steeves (14th October 2018), Wind (14th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,096 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Well now I'm feeling that with you as well, and I'm sorry that happened. I see that big heart of yours dear lady, what happened?
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th October 2018), Dreamtimer (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (14th October 2018), Wind (14th October 2018)

Thanks
    We found a new B&B in Pennsylvania. At the end of June we were there and the mama cat had four kittens. One, the black one, was particularly friendly to me. These kittens were just a few weeks old and cute as all get-out. He (I think) was friendly to me and started to follow me through the garden. This weekend we found out that the mama had disappeared and all but one kitten was gone.

The one remaining looks just like the mom, and purrs very loudly. She wants to go inside, but the cats have always been outdoor cats. They have a barn to sleep in. This is in Amish country.

The family had gone away for two weeks earlier in the summer. Another family member was watching the house and animals, and the cats went missing, they don't know why.

I was really sad to find out that the black kitten had likely been hit by a car. He was so adorable.

So today at the festival there was a woman who had her black cat in her arms in a blanket. It had beautiful green eyes. She let me and others pet the cat who loved every second. I felt better after that.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th October 2018), Elen (15th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (14th October 2018), Wind (14th October 2018)

Thanks
    Elizabeth Warren is making hay over Trump's demand that she prove her heritage. She released the DNA results and has suggested he make good on his word to donate $1million to a charity of her choice. She chose.

My fav is a political cartoon by Taylor Jones. (I won't post it here but I think it's brilliant)

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th October 2018), Elen (16th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th October 2018), Wind (15th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Elizabeth Warren is making hay over Trump's demand that she prove her heritage. She released the DNA results and has suggested he make good on his word to donate $1million to a charity of her choice. She chose.

My fav is a political cartoon by Taylor Jones. (I won't post it here but I think it's brilliant)
    regarding the heritage, 1/32 native american is very small and I don't think the genetics is as important as the epigenetics.

Lately I have been feeling confused because what seems very important is that we have microplastics in water, macroplastics killing sea life, massive destruction from storms to clean up and LOTS of displaced people. I think it may be that these events whether man made (and I am not sure about that?) or natural will sink our "ship" of state. There are so many more issues that look important such as that we have turned so much into a service economy here that i wonder if we even have factories capable of building "stuff" so we are in need of all this new stuff from other countries (building material also)

Then there is the episode where I learn that Trump values his Saudi ties to an AMAZING extent. Apparently selling arms is the US export now? I cannot help but recall the implications that Saudis were involved with the US in the 9/11 events?

And then I read this article where I learn something new about the world view of the white patriarchy(that includes Kavanaugh) concerning white people. I think about the stupidity I see in the white men who look to me like blocks of wood in ties. I think about how I really believed in the late 2000's that we are actually about to have a world of peace and prosperity?

Rep. Steve King Goes Full White Nationalist In Interview With Austrian Site
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a8f17eec6001

Now I feel so curious about which angle on chaos is the one that will undo every shred of calm and collected reason? I am not sure about anything anymore other than that I am definitely sensing that REM was precognitive. ALSO, if I am kind today and grateful and make sure I look carefully as it all may be about to be dustified.....

SING

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
    Birds and snakes and aeroplanes
    Lenny Bruce is not afraid
    Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn
    World serves its own needs, don't misserve your own needs
    Speed it up a notch, speed, grunt, no, strength
    The ladder starts to clatter with fear of height, down, height
    Wire in a fire, represent the seven games
    And a government for hire and a combat site
    Left of west and coming in a hurry
    With the Furies breathing down your neck
    Team by team, reporters baffled, trumped, tethered, cropped
    Look at that low plane, fine, then
    Uh oh, overflow, population, common group
    But it'll do, save yourself, serve yourself.
    World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed
    Tell me with the Rapture and the reverent in the right, right
    You vitriolic, patriotic, slam fight, bright light
    Feeling pretty psyched

[Chorus]
    It's the end of the world as we know it
    And I feel fine

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s97_bBGobQ

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th October 2018), Dreamtimer (22nd October 2018), Emil El Zapato (20th October 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Maggie View Post
    regarding the heritage, 1/32 native american is very small and I don't think the genetics is as important as the epigenetics.

Lately I have been feeling confused because what seems very important is that we have microplastics in water, macroplastics killing sea life, massive destruction from storms to clean up and LOTS of displaced people. I think it may be that these events whether man made (and I am not sure about that?) or natural will sink our "ship" of state. There are so many more issues that look important such as that we have turned so much into a service economy here that i wonder if we even have factories capable of building "stuff" so we are in need of all this new stuff from other countries (building material also)

Then there is the episode where I learn that Trump values his Saudi ties to an AMAZING extent. Apparently selling arms is the US export now? I cannot help but recall the implications that Saudis were involved with the US in the 9/11 events?

And then I read this article where I learn something new about the world view of the white patriarchy(that includes Kavanaugh) concerning white people. I think about the stupidity I see in the white men who look to me like blocks of wood in ties. I think about how I really believed in the late 2000's that we are actually about to have a world of peace and prosperity?

Rep. Steve King Goes Full White Nationalist In Interview With Austrian Site
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a8f17eec6001

Now I feel so curious about which angle on chaos is the one that will undo every shred of calm and collected reason? I am not sure about anything anymore other than that I am definitely sensing that REM was precognitive. ALSO, if I am kind today and grateful and make sure I look carefully as it all may be about to be dustified.....

SING

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s97_bBGobQ
    I was just running out the door and saw this...I will be back later to read and reflect on it.

But... It occurred to me the other day that a more apt racial delineation lies along the line of 'those that fear, retreat, and lash out (no, not John Lash)' and those that 'effectively adapt'. Oh brother (and sister) that is a big one.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th October 2018), Dreamtimer (22nd October 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Maggie View Post
    There are so many more issues that look important such as that we have turned so much into a service economy here that i wonder if we even have factories capable of building "stuff" so we are in need of all this new stuff from other countries (building material also)
    This was the glaring oversight of the last 40 years. The vision foresaw innovative new enterprises to fill the gap but reality is what it is. This gives us the likely trend of the future. It is sort of like ugliness, all roads lead to Rome. Dramatic changes have to happen unless we choose to be satisfied with a world culture where 1% have servants, veritable slaves, and comfort attendees while the leftovers are street dwellers.

It would be nice if the street dwellers would quit enabling the 1%'ers.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2018), Dreamtimer (22nd October 2018)

Thanks
    Boyan Slat's program is under way. He well may make a big difference in ridding the ocean of plastics.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd October 2018), Emil El Zapato (23rd October 2018), Wind (22nd October 2018)

Thanks
    How bizarre it is to see Michael Cohen advising people to vote Democrat. People like Steve Schmidt telling people to vote straight Dem ticket.

I'm only in my fifties, but I've never seen anything like this.

For Goodness sake, Max Boot is talking about how the Republican party needs to end (so it can re-form). I've heard him speak for decades and I never thought I'd hear him say that.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd October 2018), Emil El Zapato (23rd October 2018)