Page 39 of 206 FirstFirst ... 29363738394041424989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I heard Alex talking about that technique. He used it to explain the several minutes calling Hillary...(won't repeat it) before then explaining that he was using this technique.

On another note, I came across this Corbett Report with Chaos in the title. It's actually James answering questions from his subscribers. In the course of the question answering he mentions Joe Six Pack two times.

Both times he doesn't say anything other than that it would be an average person.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (4th July 2018), Kathy (12th July 2018)

Thanks
    Don't ever let anyone tell you Baltimore doesn't have culture, hon.

hon – a popular term of endearment, often used at the end of a sentence (short for "honey"). This phrase has been a popular marker of Baltimore culture, as represented in the annual Honfest summer festival and in landmarks such as the Hontown store and the Café Hon restaurant.[9]
    Anyone seen "Hairspray"?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (4th July 2018), Kathy (12th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    No...

but my daughter and her mother did...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th July 2018), Dreamtimer (4th July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), Kathy (12th July 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Don't ever let anyone tell you Baltimore doesn't have culture, hon.

Anyone seen "Hairspray"?
    I sure did see it and LOVED IT to boot. That's how I learned about the Baltimore "language", hon...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th July 2018), Dreamtimer (4th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (4th July 2018), Kathy (12th July 2018)

Thanks
    Joe Rogan interviewed a guy from Baltimore and in the beginning they discuss the oddity of the Baltimore accent. It was Ryan Sickler.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th July 2018), Elen (5th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (4th July 2018), Kathy (12th July 2018)

Thanks
    Go Red Devils...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2018), Dreamtimer (7th July 2018), Elen (7th July 2018)

Thanks
    I read the other day that individuals have been imprisoned post wwII for shouting 'Nazi' at others. We don't often hear about that.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2018), Dreamtimer (7th July 2018), Elen (8th July 2018)

Thanks
    Sticks and Stones...

Name-calling, shaming, denouncing, these are tools. Tools I don't like to use.

Use them too much you become a tool.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2018), Elen (8th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th July 2018), Kathy (12th July 2018)

Thanks
    you took the words out of my brain...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2018), Dreamtimer (7th July 2018), Elen (8th July 2018), Kathy (12th July 2018)

Thanks
    i'm reading an interesting book right now...it's called 'An Anxious Age'. It is a treatment of the extreme polarization of American society in the last 40-45 years. There are two main themes that run through the theory, one he calls the Erie Canal Thesis and the other he calls the Swallows Fly Back to Capistrano. The Erie Canal Thesis revolves around mainstream Protestantism, the lack of really, and The Swallow revolves around young intellectual Catholics. The Catholics are kind of peripheral in influence as are the Jews, they live on the banks as the authors says.

In any case, conservative rank-and-file view the former mainstream Protestants as the elite having only changed in their cultural identity by jettinsoning a religious foundation. This, of course, is a misnomer because the vast majority of this cultural group has expended its historically endowed resources. They are left only with New Age 'spiritual' philosophy. The evangelicals are born of a 'lower social class' and as a practical matter moved from a more conservative type of religious philosophy such as the Baptists to a more lucrative kind in fundamentalism.

The Swallows From Capistrano are depicted as JPII (John Paul II) Catholics whom hold an egalitarian type Catholic Dogma, but again Catholics outside that group have no true religious underpinning (I'm surmising that because he hasn't actually talked about that, yet.)

--- I'll finish later ---

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2018), Dreamtimer (7th July 2018), Elen (8th July 2018)

Thanks
    Here's an interesting conundrum to think about:

One Christopher Lasch was considered a preeminent 'leftist critic of the left'. He was quoted as saying 'we need a revisionist interpretation of American History, one that stresses the degree to which liberal democracy has lived off the borrowed capital of moral and religious traditions antedating the rise of liberalism.' The author states that some kind of financial metaphor is needed to demonstrate the past generations status quo but it is inaccurate in current times because the post-protestants have dwindled assets. The critical thing is that rightly so, the 'financial elite' of past times had opinions that were not of necessity reflective of the populace of say rural Michigan, As one noted contemporary (and truly intellectual) right wing blogger stated, "This is not Michigan, the elites decry...the Tea Party has the elites on the run." Problem is, there are no 'financial elites left in mainstream society'. Possibly one could view the educated as elite but for certain, they by and large are not financial elites, rather intellectual elites. So Lasch, after his death in 1994 was discovered by the right and became their champion voice against a class that no longer exists.

The traditional voice of the right, William F. Buckley famously quoted, "I should sooner live in society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University". Woo Hoo, this from a true member of the elite...Buckley.

Even more twisted is the fact that it was a 'communist' philosopher that formed the foundation of the right's belief that a parasitic form of governmental functionary and bureaucrat (can we say politicians) have come to control and rule by property as power and all this caused by an 'incomplete social revolution'.

It is obvious that this is the bedrock of the current right/left battle and not surpising to me, at all, is that it is predicated on mistaken, if not patently false grounds.

In the process of living Thesis->Antithesis->Synthesis, it occurred to me that I really don't see these battles in a political way, I see them completely as moral battles. A battle that is being lost by those that compromise what should be an unsullied sense of right and wrong.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th July 2018), Dreamtimer (10th July 2018), Elen (9th July 2018)

Thanks
    A couple of religious jokes:
    "If India is the most religious country in the world and Sweden is the least, then the U.S. is a country of Indians ruled by Swedes" woowoowooowooo!
    "The "nones' feel it is more Christian to state that one is not a Christian" Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!

So what does this mean for the great mainstream America and its cultural identity. The former Protestant elites might have lost their sense of financial and educational elitism, but they havent lost their sense of spiritual superiority. They that are spiritually awakened are better than the unwashed rabble (<snicker> we might even call them unwashed sheeple>). Their moral rightness is unquestioned.

The anti-religious, a.k.a. the libertines and the uber-religious, a.k.a., the prudes are locked in a life and death struggle for the soul. Modern sociologists believe the source are sexual mores, but here we find MY classic double-bind. Pro capital punishment vs pro-life for the right, pro sexual revolution, yet quesy about LGBT for the left. But those aren't the intractable problems facing them, the intractable problem is they are both incapable of understanding the social benefits of religion. The caveat is that the religious group must actually have a binding belief to facilitate the benefits. Religion, or literally any 'social organization' standing alone, as a vehicle for social benefit or progressive movement is a losing proposition.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th July 2018), Dreamtimer (10th July 2018), Elen (9th July 2018)

Thanks
    This is fascinating to me:

One Max Weber wrote two sociology/religious books in the 1930's, The Protestant Ethic and the The Spirit of Capitalism. His goal was 3-fold. First, to counter Karl Marx's assertlion that 'economics caused modern Christianity, rather Weber maintained the opposite, that Christianity shaped economics. Second, to give a less abstract 'goal' to Protestants, in particular the hard sells like the Calvinists. A salvation reward was not practical enough for Calvinists so Weber postulated, not in a vacuum as he had Benjamin Franklin as a model. For example, 'A penny saved is a penny earned, etc...ad nauseum, that to strive for economic reward and NOT waste or spend was not only God-like but the source of certain salvation. And third, to eschew the Catholic emphasis on helping the poor, piety, and separation of self from the foibles of modern society. (Does this sound familiar to anyone?)

Obviously, something went horribly wrong down the spiritual economic path when the beneficiaries kept the economic impetus and lost the religion.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th July 2018), Dreamtimer (10th July 2018), Elen (10th July 2018)

Thanks
    Walter Rauschenbusch (/ˈwɔːltər ˈraʊʃənbʊʃ/; October 4, 1861 – July 25, 1918) was an American theologian and Baptist pastor who taught at the Rochester Theological Seminary. Rauschenbusch was a key figure in the Social Gospel and 'Single Tax' movements that flourished in the United States during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was also the maternal grandfather of the influential philosopher Richard Rorty and the great-grandfather of Paul Raushenbush.

ok, now this guy was very influential in the time period noted above (from wikipedia)

His relationship with his father, a native born German, was described as such: "Augustus would whip his son for explaining such things as 'skepticism' to fellow students but at the same time insisted that his son have an intellectual knowledge of all things religious and social." hmmm...I hope the point is not lost for lack of explanation.

I will say about this guy he did have a relatively decent social consciousness in that he spoke in favor of help for the poor.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th July 2018), Dreamtimer (11th July 2018), Elen (11th July 2018)

Thanks
    Here's a little self-test - sociopsychological:

Here's the answer grid.

Do you hate the Vatican? - Do you hate fascism?
    Yes Yes You are a good liberal
    No No You are a good conservative
    No Yes You are confused and a good alt-righter
    Yes No You are confused and a good alt-righter

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th July 2018), Elen (15th July 2018)