Page 202 of 205 FirstFirst ... 102152192199200201202203204205 LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 3063

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 42,873 Times in 11,808 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Some crazy and cool stuff...I liked the lamp fan...very practical and useful
    “I am a social justice...advocate and I say, "Stop the Hate!"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd January 2024), Gio (27th January 2024), Wind (3rd January 2024)

Thanks
    I wish the Eastern philosophers would gather around. Below is noted what explains my 'natural' approach to spiritual involvement and it obviates the need to 'explain' or justify my 'easy' approach to 'enlightenment'. I don't know what induced my impetus to do life this way, whether it was instinct, intuition, or just my inclination to 'be...lazy'. But it is the latter school of thought that I drifted into:

"The Confucianism that these scholars presented was the Neo-Confucianism of Chu Hsi of Sung time. This Neo-Confuciansim had from the outset contained a cleavage between two trends, one stressing the principle of reason, the other that of intuition. Chu Hsi had distinguished between the principle of Heaven and human desire and believed that through investigation of the principles of things and the study of classics, man would overcome selfishness and partiality and by means of such self-cultivation identify with the moral mind of the universe. The school of intuition, in contrast, emphasized the unity of the human mind with the mind of the universe, a unity that had to be recognized not through prolonged and distracting study but through the realization of an innate knowledge of the good. This School of the Mind or Intuition found a strong representative in Ming time in the philosopher and statesman Wan Yang-ming (1472-1529), who added to the concepts of the unity of the universal moral law a third concept of the unity of knowledge and action, which to Wan Yang-ming could not be separated. To him "knowledge is the crystallization of the will to act and action is the task of carrying out knowledge; knowledge is the beginning of action and action is the completion of knowledge."

Though the Ming examination system applied a rather stereotyped interpretation of Chu Hsi's principle of reason, Wang Yang-ming's teaching gained widespread response in the private academies, contributing to the division between government and scholarship. Both schools of thought joined in the fight for renewing Confucian ethics among the scholar-elite and reestablishing official integrity in government. There are parallels in Buddhist schools of thought."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th January 2024), Gio (27th January 2024), Wind (8th January 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,102 Times in 7,142 Posts
    See anything wrong with this picture?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdqxBNgnmxU
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th January 2024), Gio (27th January 2024)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    See anything wrong with this picture?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdqxBNgnmxU
    yeah, I see a lot of something wrong with that picture...I would call that the economic 'hard problem'. To redistribute wealth last occurred in the U.S. over a century ago under President Roosevelt. To do the same today seems almost inconceivable because of poor white conservatives. Propaganda has them convinced that they might be poor now but the 'American Way' ensures they will not be later. It is a complete fantasy but they continue generation to generation supporting the uber-wealthy. How ignorant is that?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th January 2024), Gio (27th January 2024), Wind (12th January 2024)

Thanks
    Wealth of five richest men doubles since 2020 as five billion people made poorer in "decade of division"

• Fortunes of five richest men have shot up by 114 percent since 2020.

• Oxfam predicts the world could have its first-ever trillionaire in just a decade while it would take more than two centuries to end poverty.

• A billionaire is running or the principal shareholder of 7 out of 10 of the world’s biggest corporations.

• 148 top corporations made $1.8 trillion in profits, 52 percent up on 3-year average, and dished out huge payouts to rich shareholders while hundreds of millions faced cuts in real-term pay.

• Oxfam urges a new era of public action, including public services, corporate regulation, breaking up monopolies and enacting permanent wealth and excess profit taxes.

The world’s five richest men have more than doubled their fortunes from $405 billion to $869 billion since 2020 —at a rate of $14 million per hour— while nearly five billion people have been made poorer, reveals a new Oxfam report on inequality and global corporate power. If current trends continue, the world will have its first trillionaire within a decade but poverty won’t be eradicated for another 229 years.

“Inequality Inc.”, published today as business elites gather in the Swiss resort town of Davos, reveals that seven out of ten of the world’s biggest corporations have a billionaire as CEO or principal shareholder. These corporations are worth $10.2 trillion, equivalent to more than the combined GDPs of all countries in Africa and Latin America.

“We’re witnessing the beginnings of a decade of division, with billions of people shouldering the economic shockwaves of pandemic, inflation and war, while billionaires’ fortunes boom. This inequality is no accident; the billionaire class is ensuring corporations deliver more wealth to them at the expense of everyone else,” said Oxfam International interim Executive Director Amitabh Behar.

“Runaway corporate and monopoly power is an inequality-generating machine: through squeezing workers, dodging tax, privatizing the state, and spurring climate breakdown, corporations are funneling endless wealth to their ultra-rich owners. But they’re also funneling power, undermining our democracies and our rights. No corporation or individual should have this much power over our economies and our lives —to be clear, nobody should have a billion dollars”.

The past three years’ supercharged surge in extreme wealth has solidified while global poverty remains mired at pre-pandemic levels. Billionaires are $3.3 trillion richer than in 2020, and their wealth has grown three times faster than the rate of inflation.

• Despite representing just 21 percent of the global population, rich countries in the Global North own 69 percent of global wealth and are home to 74 percent of the world’s billionaire wealth.

• Share ownership overwhelmingly benefits the richest. The top 1 percent own 43 percent of all global financial assets. They hold 48 percent of financial wealth in the Middle East, 50 percent in Asia and 47 percent in Europe.

Mirroring the fortunes of the super-rich, large firms are set to smash their annual profit records in 2023. 148 of the world’s biggest corporations together raked in $1.8 trillion in total net profits in the year to June 2023, a 52 percent jump compared to average net profits in 2018-2021. Their windfall profits surged to nearly $700 billion. The report finds that for every $100 of profit made by 96 major corporations between July 2022 and June 2023, $82 was paid out to rich shareholders.

• Bernard Arnault is the world’s second richest man who presides over luxury goods empire LVMH, which has been fined by France‘s anti-trust body. He also owns France’s biggest media outlet, Les Échos, as well as Le Parisien.

• Aliko Dangote, Africa’s richest person, holds a “near-monopoly” on cement in Nigeria. His empire’s expansion into oil has raised concerns about a new private monopoly.

• Jeff Bezos’s fortune of $167.4 billion increased by $32.7 billion since the beginning of the decade. The US government has sued Amazon, the source of Bezos’ fortune, for wielding its “monopoly power” to hike prices, degrade service for shoppers and stifle competition.

“Monopolies harm innovation and crush workers and smaller businesses. The world hasn’t forgotten how pharma monopolies deprived millions of people of COVID-19 vaccines, creating a racist vaccine apartheid, while minting a new club of billionaires,” said Behar.

People worldwide are working harder and longer hours, often for poverty wages in precarious and unsafe jobs. The wages of nearly 800 million workers have failed to keep up with inflation and they have lost $1.5 trillion over the last two years, equivalent to nearly a month (25 days) of lost wages for each worker.

New Oxfam analysis of World Benchmarking Alliance data on more than 1,600 of the largest corporations worldwide shows that 0.4 percent of them are publicly committed to paying workers a living wage and support a living wage in their value chains. It would take 1,200 years for a woman working in the health and social sector to earn what the average CEO in the biggest 100 Fortune companies earns in a year.

Oxfam's report also shows how a "war on taxation" by corporations has seen the effective corporate tax rate fall by roughly a third in recent decades, while corporations have relentlessly privatized the public sector and segregated services like education and water.

“We have the evidence. We know the history. Public power can rein in runaway corporate power and inequality —shaping the market to be fairer and free from billionaire control. Governments must intervene to break up monopolies, empower workers, tax these massive corporate profits and, crucially, invest in a new era of public goods and services,” said Behar.

“Every corporation has a responsibility to act but very few are. Governments must step up. There is action that lawmakers can learn from, from US anti-monopoly government enforcers suing Amazon in a landmark case, to the European Commission wanting Google to break up its online advertising business, and Africa’s historic fight to reshape international tax rules.”

Oxfam is calling on governments to rapidly and radically reduce the gap between the super-rich and the rest of society by:

• Revitalizing the state. A dynamic and effective state is the best bulwark against extreme corporate power. Governments should ensure universal provision of healthcare and education, and explore publicly-delivered goods and public options in sectors from energy to transportation.

• Reining in corporate power, including by breaking up monopolies and democratizing patent rules. This also means legislating for living wages, capping CEO pay, and new taxes on the super-rich and corporations, including permanent wealth and excess profit taxes. Oxfam estimates that a wealth tax on the world’s millionaires and billionaires could generate $1.8 trillion a year.

• Reinventing business. Competitive and profitable businesses don’t have to be shackled by shareholder greed. Democratically-owned businesses better equalize the proceeds of business. If just 10 percent of US businesses were employee-owned, this could double the wealth share of the poorest half of the US population, including doubling the average wealth of Black households.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Chuckie (15th January 2024), Gio (27th January 2024)

Thanks

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-HfpVySfKA

"But America, as I look at you from afar, I wonder whether your moral and spiritual progress has been commensurate with your scientific progress. Your poet Thoreau used to talk about improved means to an unimproved end. How often this is true. You have allowed the material means by which you live to outdistance the spiritual ends for which you live. You have allowed your mentality to outrun your morality. You have allowed your civilization to outdistance your culture, and through your scientific genius you have made of the world a neighborhood. But through your moral and spiritual genius, you have failed to make of it a brotherhood. And so, America, I would urge you to bring your moral advances in line with your scientific advances.

I am impelled to write you concerning the responsibilities laid upon you to live as Christians in the midst of an unchristian world. This is what I had to do. This is what every Christian has to do. But I understand that there are many Christians in America who give their ultimate allegiance to man-made systems and customs. They are afraid to be different. Their great concern is to be accepted socially. They live by some such principle as this: “Everybody is doing it, so it must be all right.” Morality is merely group consensus. In your modern sociological lingo, the mores are accepted as the right ways. You have unconsciously come to believe that right is discovered by taking a sort of Gallup Poll of the majority opinion, and how many are giving their ultimate allegiance to this way.

I understand that you have an economic system in America known as capitalism, and through this economic system you have been able to do wonders. You have become the richest nation in the world, and you have built up the greatest system of production that history has ever known. All of this is marvelous. But Americans, there is the danger that you will misuse your capitalism. I still contend that money can be the root of all evil. It can cause one to live a life of gross materialism, and I'm afraid that many among you are more concerned about making a living than making a life. You are prone to judge the success of your professions by the index of your salary and the size of the wheel base on your automobile rather than the quality of your service to humanity.

The misuse of capitalism can also lead to tragic exploitation. This has so often happened in your nation. They tell me that one-tenth of one percent of the population controls more than forty percent of the wealth. Oh, America, how often have you taken necessities from the masses to give luxuries to the classes? If you are to be truly a Christian nation, you must solve this problem. Now, you cannot solve the problem by turning to communism, for communism is based on an ethical relativism and a metaphysical materialism that no Christian can accept. But you can work within the framework of democracy to bring about a better distribution of wealth. You can use your powerful economic resources to wipe poverty from the face of the earth. God never intended for a group of people to live in superfluous, inordinate wealth while others live in abject, deadening poverty. God intends for all of His children to have the basic necessities of life, and He has left in this universe enough and to spare for that purpose. So I call upon you to bridge the gulf between abject poverty and superfluous wealth.

Yes, America, you may give your goods to feed the poor. You may give great gift to charity. You may tower high in philanthropy, but if you have not love, it means nothing. You may even give your body to be burned and die the death of a martyr. And your spilled blood may be a symbol of honor for generations yet unborn, and thousands may praise you as history's supreme hero. But even so if you have not love, your blood was spilled in vain. You must come to see that it is possible for a man to be self-centered in his self-denial and self-righteous in his self-sacrifice. He may be generous in order to feed his ego and pious in order to feed his pride. Man has a tragic capacity to relegate a heightening virtue to a tragic vice. Without love, benevolence becomes egotism and martyrdom becomes spiritual pride."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th January 2024), Chuckie (17th January 2024), Gio (27th January 2024)

Thanks
    Disclaimer: This is from a highly biased to the-left source, but it is intelligent and not just spouting leftist platitudes. Further, I don't think anyone who resides here is subject to TDS right or left but perhaps in the event a PA'er may stumble over here by accident it will capture their attention and start the ride to freedom for them and set aright the notion that America is a democratic society, not an authoritarian 3rd world country.

Last edited by Chuckie, 27th January 2024 at 22:00.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th January 2024), Gio (27th January 2024), Wind (28th January 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 36,873 Times in 7,263 Posts

Thinking

The above video is very compelling ...

Democracy is on Life Support in America.
    And the GOP wants to pull the plug.
    Presenting an alternative to the alternative community.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th January 2024), Chuckie (27th January 2024), Wind (28th January 2024)

Thanks
    I'm not posting this to be obnoxious or pull chains. This is just another perspective, not sure but I think it might be sourced in Eastern Europe:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Gio (11th February 2024)

Thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Gio (11th February 2024)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Chuckie (11th February 2024), Wind (12th February 2024)

Thanks

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Gio (11th February 2024), Wind (12th February 2024)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    He might have told the truth for the first time in his life when he made that statement...
    You mean Trump?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Chuckie (12th February 2024), Gio (12th February 2024)

Thanks
    Hi Wind,

yes, for sure...

Do you feel a kinship with other Scandinavians? Even if only the Swedish Blondes. Apparently the funniest joke I ever told one of my conservative friends that as far as I knew I was half German-Irish, he told that to anyone we ever ran into.

And that was before my genetics showed up as between 3-5 percent Swedish... Seems like I remember seeing one report that said 8-9% but that can't possibly be correct, my faltering old man's brain doing its thing.
    Last edited by Chuckie, 12th February 2024 at 12:17.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Gio (12th February 2024), Wind (13th February 2024)

Thanks
    What’s happening at the U.S.-Mexico border in 7 charts
    BY JOHN GRAMLICH AND ALISSA SCHELLER

The U.S. Border Patrol reported more than 1.6 million encounters with migrants along the U.S.-Mexico border in the 2021 fiscal year, more than quadruple the number of the prior fiscal year and the highest annual total on record.

The number of encounters had fallen to just over 400,000 in fiscal 2020 as the coronavirus outbreak slowed migration across much of the world. But encounters at the southwest border rebounded sharply in fiscal 2021 and ultimately eclipsed the previous annual high recorded in fiscal 2000, according to recently published data from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the federal agency that encompasses the Border Patrol.

Migrant encounters refer to two distinct kinds of events: expulsions, in which migrants are immediately expelled to their home country or last country of transit, and apprehensions, in which migrants are detained in the United States, at least temporarily.

Since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, most encounters have resulted in expulsion from the U.S., unlike before the pandemic, when the vast majority ended in apprehension instead. The Trump administration began expelling migrants in March 2020 under a public health order aimed at limiting the spread of COVID-19. The Biden administration has continued to expel migrants under the same order.

Below is a closer look at the shifting dynamics at the southwest border, based on the recent CBP statistics. Most of these statistics refer to federal fiscal years, which run from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30, as opposed to calendar years. It’s also important to note that encounters refer to events, not people, and that some migrants are encountered more than once.

How we did this

Southwest border encounters increased to their highest recorded level in fiscal 2021. The Border Patrol reported 1,659,206 encounters with migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border last fiscal year, narrowly exceeding the prior highs of 1,643,679 in 2000 and 1,615,844 in 1986.

The large number of encounters in fiscal 2021 dwarfed the total during the last major wave of migration at the southwest border, which occurred in fiscal 2019. The Border Patrol recorded 851,508 encounters that year.

A line graph showing that migrant encounters at the U.S.-Mexico border reached their highest level on record in 2021

While the number of encounters was the highest on record last fiscal year, the number of individuals encountered was considerably lower. That’s because more than a quarter of all migrant encounters at U.S. borders in both fiscal 2021 and fiscal 2020 (27% and 26%, respectively) involved repeat crossers, according to CBP statistics. By comparison, the proportion of repeat border crossers was much lower in the 2019 fiscal year (7%), before the Border Patrol began regularly expelling migrants during the coronavirus outbreak. (These recidivism statistics include encounters at all U.S. borders. While separate statistics for only the U.S.-Mexico border are not available, encounters at the southwest border have accounted for more than 97% of total encounters in recent years.)

A line graph showing that more than 1 million southwest border encounters in 2021 involved people from countries other than Mexico

A record number of encounters in fiscal 2021 involved people from countries other than Mexico. Mexico was the single most common origin country for migrants encountered at the border in fiscal 2021. The Border Patrol reported 608,037 encounters with Mexican nationals last year, accounting for 37% of the total. The remaining 1,051,169 encounters, or 63%, involved people from countries other than Mexico – by far the highest total for non-Mexican nationals in CBP records dating back to 2000.

Most of the encounters with non-Mexicans in fiscal 2021 involved people from the Northern Triangle countries of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. There were 308,931 encounters with people from Honduras last fiscal year (representing 19% of all encounters), 279,033 with people from Guatemala (17%) and 95,930 with people from El Salvador (6%). The Northern Triangle region has been a major source of migration at the U.S-Mexico border in recent years.

Encounters soared in fiscal 2021 for some countries that have not historically been common sources of migration at the U.S.-Mexico border. The number of encounters involving people from Ecuador, for example, increased more than eightfold, from 11,861 in fiscal 2020 to 95,692 in fiscal 2021. There were also stark increases in encounters involving people from Brazil (from 6,946 to 56,735), Nicaragua (from 2,123 to 49,841), Venezuela (from 1,227 to 47,752), Haiti (from 4,395 to 45,532) and Cuba (from 9,822 to 38,139).

A line graph showing that encounters with migrants from some countries rose dramatically in 2021

Economic, social and political instability in some of these countries likely played a role in the spike in encounters at the U.S.-Mexico border last fiscal year. In Ecuador, widespread economic problems and the COVID-19 pandemic have led many migrants to make the journey north. Haiti, meanwhile, has faced a number of challenges in recent years, ranging from natural disasters to the assassination of its president in July.

Related: Biden administration widens scope of Temporary Protected Status for immigrants

The increase in encounters at the U.S.-Mexico border didn’t just involve people from Latin America or the Caribbean region. The number of encounters involving people from Romania rose from 266 in fiscal 2020 to 4,029 in fiscal 2021, while the number involving people from Turkey increased from 67 to 1,366.

A line graph showing that border encounters with single adults, families and unaccompanied children all increased in 2021

Migrant encounters increased across demographic groups in fiscal 2021, but single adults continued to account for the large majority. Encounters with unaccompanied children rose from 30,557 in fiscal 2020 to 144,834 in fiscal 2021, while encounters with people traveling in families increased from 52,230 to 451,087.

By far the largest number and share of encounters involved single adults. There were 1,063,285 encounters with single adults in fiscal 2021, up from 317,864 the year before. More than six-in-ten encounters (64%) involved single adults, though that was down from 79% in fiscal 2020.

Migrant encounters more than doubled in every sector along the U.S.-Mexico border in fiscal 2021. The largest numerical increase occurred in the Rio Grande Valley sector, where there were 549,077 encounters last fiscal year, up from 90,206 the year before. But the largest proportional increase occurred in the Yuma sector, where encounters increased thirteenfold, from 8,804 in fiscal 2020 to 114,488 in fiscal 2021.

A map showing that migrant encounters more than doubled in all nine southwest border sectors in 2021

Since the coronavirus outbreak began, most migrant encounters have resulted in expulsion from the U.S., rather than apprehension within the country. In March 2020, the administration of former President Donald Trump invoked Title 42, a public health order allowing the Border Patrol to expel migrants immediately to control the domestic spread of the coronavirus. President Joe Biden’s administration has continued to expel migrants under Title 42, though to a lesser extent than the Trump administration.

A bar chart showing that most migrant encounters during COVID-19 have ended in expulsion, but less so in recent months

About two-thirds (66%) of all migrant encounters ended in expulsion between April 2020, the first full month after Title 42 was invoked, and September 2021, the end of the 2021 fiscal year. The remaining 34% resulted in apprehension. But the share of encounters resulting in expulsion has decreased under the Biden administration. In September 2021, 54% of encounters ended in expulsion, down from 74% in February 2021, the first full month after Biden took office.

A chart showing that southwest border encounters have often peaked in March, but pattern has changed since 2013

Seasonal migration patterns have changed in recent years. Since 2000, border encounters have typically peaked in the spring – most often in March – before declining during the hot summer months, when migration journeys become more perilous. But the pattern has changed since 2013, with the annual peak occurring in months other than March. July was the peak month in fiscal 2021, with the number of encounters (200,658) far exceeding the total recorded in March (169,216), even though temperatures in July are typically much higher.