Page 184 of 206 FirstFirst ... 84134174181182183184185186187194 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 3083

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Kiev's Long-Term "Last Resort" Plan To Blow-Up The Kakhova Dam Exposed

The partial destruction of the Kakhovka Dam on early Tuesday morning saw Kiev and Moscow exchange accusations about who’s to blame, but a report from the Washington Post (WaPo) in late December extends credence to the Kremlin’s version of events.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...va-dam-exposed
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th June 2023), Aragorn (6th June 2023), Fred Steeves (6th June 2023), Wind (6th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,164 Times in 11,946 Posts
    yeah, that's possible...it could be part of the counter-offensive...it's another one of those 'up in the air' things

I watched a video last night that is based in a 'military' framework that made me wonder though. It looks like a propaganda forum but they have blasted the Ukrainians also??
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th June 2023), Aragorn (7th June 2023), Wind (8th June 2023)

Thanks
    Anybody know anything about this part of the world...

My mother's side relatives and ancestors come from this and surrounding areas.

Cumbria (somewhere in England/Scotland)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th June 2023), Aragorn (9th June 2023)

Thanks
    Curious if Europeans or New Zealanders have much exposure to historical education in their growing-up years?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (9th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,093 Times in 20,304 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Curious if Europeans or New Zealanders have much exposure to historical education in their growing-up years?
    I cannot speak for the Kiwis, but here in Europe, yes, absolutely. We learn all about history throughout elementary school, and then once again but in far greater detail throughout middle and high school. And I do mean global history, going back all the way from the ancient civilizations of Egypt, Greece, the Roman Empire, China, and so on, up into the present times, politically, geopolitically, culturally — by which I mean the arts and architecture — and sociologically. Kings and queens, emperors and empresses, dynasties — you name it, we've learned about it.

Also, when I was young, there were several Flemish and Dutch television series that were aimed at children, and that were set in Antiquity or the Middle Ages. Some were about imaginary and/or fantastical events or characters, while others were more true to actual historical events and characters. There were also other historical and pseudo-historical television series that delved more into character development — based upon the work of a famous local author who lived in the first half of the 20th century — and that were aimed at a maturer audience of teenagers and adults.

One of the key differences between European culture and US American culture is that US American culture is incredibly insular, and intentionally so, because an insular culture feeds into feelings of nationalism and cultural self-importance, and both of those things are considered essential for supporting the self-deceiving, corporately controlled and consumerist society that the USA as a country is based upon. It is also this very alienation from what is happening in the rest of the world that makes the USA as a nation so paranoid and so militarily, geopolitically and economically aggressive towards other nations.

If countries could be represented in the form of individual characters in a school building, then the USA would be a neurotic and narcissistic teenager in self-denial, constantly running away from his own reflection in the mirror, playing-pretend that he's somebody else, and acting like a paranoid and arrogant bully towards other kids and even teachers, because he knows he's got enough members in his bully mob to be able to get away with it. He's the brawn that thinks it's a brain, because nobody questions his authority.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Diabolical Boids (10th June 2023), Emil El Zapato (9th June 2023)

Senior Member United States Diabolical Boids's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 651 Posts
    I make mention of middle America now and again. The America that no one in Europe gets exposed to much. The Coastal states with all their extremism steal all the bandwidth and they aren't big history buffs unless it's something to do with the 13 colonies or the Alamo or somehow amplifies their pretensions of coming from some aristocratic family in Europe.

This was an interesting find when I was pecking around. This particular show used to interview my grandfather, a local historian, so that's how I ran across it. Middle America preserves its European roots with something called living history.

People generally regard hillbillies or mountain people as stupid and simple.(The Coastals of course) And base it on the language the use.

Well guess where that language came from? And is still intact today up in the mountains.

Literally preserving a language that was thought to be lost hundreds of years ago.

Pretty interesting.

And that is what I sound like especially when I'm tired or excited. It was weird to think my accent was like someone from the Middle Ages.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaim6dEzbJQ
    Last edited by Aragorn, 9th June 2023 at 15:52. Reason: fixed your video

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diabolical Boids For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (9th June 2023), Emil El Zapato (9th June 2023), Fred Steeves (10th June 2023), modwiz (10th June 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Diabolical Boids View Post
    I make mention of middle America now and again. The America that no one in Europe gets exposed to much. The Coastal states with all their extremism steal all the bandwidth and they aren't big history buffs unless it's something to do with the 13 colonies or the Alamo or somehow amplifies their pretensions of coming from some aristocratic family in Europe.

This was an interesting find when I was pecking around. This particular show used to interview my grandfather, a local historian, so that's how I ran across it. Middle America preserves its European roots with something called living history.

People generally regard hillbillies or mountain people as stupid and simple.(The Coastals of course) And base it on the language the use.

Well guess where that language came from? And is still intact today up in the mountains.

Literally preserving a language that was thought to be lost hundreds of years ago.

Pretty interesting.

And that is what I sound like especially when I'm tired or excited. It was weird to think my accent was like someone from the Middle Ages.

I had a teacher that asked me to read a passage from a book, so I did...along with the accent from the print. She asked me where I got such an accent. Beeyotch! I hated her. I be bone with the accent. Just awhile back my older brother's son-in-law remarked that I had a 'cute' midwestern accent. My brother (Californian) tongue-in-cheek said dumb people talk like that. I used to think that for real. In my own defense, I say I pick up colloquial accents quickly.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (9th June 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I cannot speak for the Kiwis, but here in Europe, yes, absolutely. We learn all about history throughout elementary school, and then once again but in far greater detail throughout middle and high school. And I do mean global history, going back all the way from the ancient civilizations of Egypt, Greece, the Roman Empire, China, and so on, up into the present times, politically, geopolitically, culturally — by which I mean the arts and architecture — and sociologically. Kings and queens, emperors and empresses, dynasties — you name it, we've learned about it.

Also, when I was young, there were several Flemish and Dutch television series that were aimed at children, and that were set in Antiquity or the Middle Ages. Some were about imaginary and/or fantastical events or characters, while others were more true to actual historical events and characters. There were also other historical and pseudo-historical television series that delved more into character development — based upon the work of a famous local author who lived in the first half of the 20th century — and that were aimed at a maturer audience of teenagers and adults.

One of the key differences between European culture and US American culture is that US American culture is incredibly insular, and intentionally so, because an insular culture feeds into feelings of nationalism and cultural self-importance, and both of those things are considered essential for supporting the self-deceiving, corporately controlled and consumerist society that the USA as a country is based upon. It is also this very alienation from what is happening in the rest of the world that makes the USA as a nation so paranoid and so militarily, geopolitically and economically aggressive towards other nations.

If countries could be represented in the form of individual characters in a school building, then the USA would be a neurotic and narcissistic teenager in self-denial, constantly running away from his own reflection in the mirror, playing-pretend that he's somebody else, and acting like a paranoid and arrogant bully towards other kids and even teachers, because he knows he's got enough members in his bully mob to be able to get away with it. He's the brawn that thinks it's a brain, because nobody questions his authority.
    In general that is very true...I took elective courses throughout my secondary educational studies (I would get kicked out of the class and be forced to do self study) for World Geography and World History and then in college I took a few history courses but the one I rmember the most is American History. I remarked to the professor that the 'real history' of Early America was very different than what people thought it was. lol, no joke.

Europe obviously has a much more advanced written history but in terms of ancient American history was that was pretty blank in my day. Native American? what's that?!

I was reading about the Paleolithic, Neolithic, and Bronze age in Cumbria...weirdly enough the time travel book I'm reading right now is about the Bronze Age in Northern England.

Anyway, I guess I was curious if they taught 'ancient history'. It does sound like it but perhaps not in a formal school environment. It seems my Neolithic ancestors didn't inherit the 'bad' gene that most of the rest of Europe did...(ancestors of the Beaker people) they didn't get that far NorthWest. On the other hand, my Neanderthal cousins did not have much respect for the dead. They just burned them up and had their own minimal rituals. The Neos/Bronze age...started out like the Paleolithic, but graduated to Norse/Celtic ceremonies, and by later in the Iron Age were doing an amalgam of that and Roman.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 9th June 2023 at 21:05.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (9th June 2023), Diabolical Boids (10th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,467 Times in 10,172 Posts

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2023), Diabolical Boids (10th June 2023), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2023), modwiz (10th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,467 Times in 10,172 Posts
    That be dang interresting Dia Bee, real very, so much so it reminded me of Beaumonts true history of ancient britton plus some old languages that were a song as such when spokern, i feel back in time language was something all had in common, as story telling n body language and knowing n feeling your energy-ies surroundings was a thing , like is becoming agin imo.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2023), Diabolical Boids (10th June 2023), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2023), modwiz (10th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts

Pretty interesting.

Just got around to watching this. I live in Appalachia, SW Virginia.

My lady friend warshes her clothes and calls her muhver every day. And when she adds, she does maff.

She is super smart.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (10th June 2023), Diabolical Boids (10th June 2023), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    pretty song, nay, beautiful song...one can see the passion and at the same time the spiritual reverie AND the meditative nature of it all.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 10th June 2023 at 11:35.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (10th June 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    That be dang interresting Dia Bee, real very, so much so it reminded me of Beaumonts true history of ancient britton plus some old languages that were a song as such when spokern, i feel back in time language was something all had in common, as story telling n body language and knowing n feeling your energy-ies surroundings was a thing , like is becoming agin imo.
    Danged if it don't be, Aianaweser.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (10th June 2023)

Senior Member United States Diabolical Boids's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    I had a teacher that asked me to read a passage from a book, so I did...along with the accent from the print. She asked me where I got such an accent. Beeyotch! I hated her. I be bone with the accent. Just awhile back my older brother's son-in-law remarked that I had a 'cute' midwestern accent. My brother (Californian) tongue-in-cheek said dumb people talk like that. I used to think that for real. In my own defense, I say I pick up colloquial accents quickly.
    That's the first thing you think when someone asks you what your accent is: I don't have one. You do.

California can't talk, the Valley Accents aren't anything to be proud of where everyone sounds high.

Going to California reminds me of going to some third world nation where all the native people are closing in on you and pulling on your clothes, jabbering in some unknown primitive language and trying to make you buy goods made out of coconut shells. You buy? buy? you buy?

There's a whole science to this now, where linguists are using language studies the same way genetic studies uses genes to find out where people came from. I travel a lot so people are always asking where I got my accent. I drag them from one state to the other. My everyday, speaking quietly one is Northern Midwest so apparently, we do something weird with our consonants the way southern people do with vowels. Upper Northern Midwest is Norwegian, Swiss, French, a little Scots, and some Dutch so it varies by locality. There's an entire terminology and way the mouth and tongue move associated to one's origins on the globe that I can't even begin to explain.

The way Minnesota and Northern & Upper Michigan says eh? after everything or adds on AT after a question indicates where they came from in Europe. Eastern Canadians do that too. Have a nice day, eh? Where is the refrigerator.....at?

Lower midwest is where people say Code instead of Cold. They drop the Ls on words. My sister in law has the Smokey Mountain "We orta warsh the floor" accent but also drops her L's. People dropping L's is supposed to be because this region is loaded with people of German descent.

Before screen time and digital life intruded began destroying our five senses and relation to the world I remember traveling in Kentucky and having total strangers know where I was from and from what family because of the shape of my eyes and nose.

What accent you are used to in America also determines how well you understand people speaking accented English abroad apparently.

There's a show set in Yorkshire England, called Happy Valley, a cop show. Me and my sister can understand everyone perfectly because they cut off their words and speak fast the way they do in Appalachia, but my brother in law (German) can't understand a word of it and has to follow the closed captioning.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diabolical Boids For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (10th June 2023), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2023), modwiz (11th June 2023), Wind (13th June 2023)

Thanks
    That's the first thing you think when someone asks you what your accent is: I don't have one. You do.

California can't talk, the Valley Accents aren't anything to be proud of where everyone sounds high.

Going to California reminds me of going to some third world nation where all the native people are closing in on you and pulling on your clothes, jabbering in some unknown primitive language and trying to make you buy goods made out of coconut shells. You buy? buy? you buy?

There's a whole science to this now, where linguists are using language studies the same way genetic studies uses genes to find out where people came from. I travel a lot so people are always asking where I got my accent. I drag them from one state to the other. My everyday, speaking quietly one is Northern Midwest so apparently, we do something weird with our consonants the way southern people do with vowels. Upper Northern Midwest is Norwegian, Swiss, French, a little Scots, and some Dutch so it varies by locality. There's an entire terminology and way the mouth and tongue move associated to one's origins on the globe that I can't even begin to explain.

The way Minnesota and Northern & Upper Michigan says eh? after everything or adds on AT after a question indicates where they came from in Europe. Eastern Canadians do that too. Have a nice day, eh? Where is the refrigerator.....at?

Lower midwest is where people say Code instead of Cold. They drop the Ls on words. My sister in law has the Smokey Mountain "We orta warsh the floor" accent but also drops her L's. People dropping L's is supposed to be because this region is loaded with people of German descent.

Before screen time and digital life intruded began destroying our five senses and relation to the world I remember traveling in Kentucky and having total strangers know where I was from and from what family because of the shape of my eyes and nose.

What accent you are used to in America also determines how well you understand people speaking accented English abroad apparently.

There's a show set in Yorkshire England, called Happy Valley, a cop show. Me and my sister can understand everyone perfectly because they cut off their words and speak fast the way they do in Appalachia, but my brother-in-law (German) can't understand a word of it and has to follow the closed captioning.
    Interesting, so where does this come from? My daughter always use to chide me for not pronouncing words correctly, this one in particular though I have worked to speak more proper English in 'professional' settings and incidentally, The Californians I met with didn't seem to have any accent really. (adopted family)

ruin: I pronounce it 'roon' with a U sound in it. I have a large amount of 'German' in me too (25%, my mother's mother)...Geneticists have a hard time differentiating in those parts of Europe unless they really are good.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th June 2023), Aragorn (10th June 2023), Diabolical Boids (10th June 2023), Wind (13th June 2023)