Page 178 of 206 FirstFirst ... 78128168175176177178179180181188 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 3084

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 81,150 Times in 20,327 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Truth is, my daughter who is now working as a paramedic confronts 'victims' and 'neediness' every day. A couple of weeks ago I asked her how she 'felt' about that because I always fear that she will lose her sense of compassion and empathy. I love my daughter but she has always had a 'cold' edge to her that I believe she inherited from her mother. Anyway, I digress as is my want...she said that it didn't matter to her because they are in need and she has the tools to help. One takes it all in stride to help. I loved her answer.

Does anyone see the value in that?
    Doctors and nurses do have to have a certain degree of detachment to them in order to be able to do their jobs and not go insane. Not too much detachment, of course — unfortunately, such doctors and nurses exist as well, and they are quite commonly easily identifiable by their cynicism — but there has to be just enough detachment for them to stop themselves from drowning in the suffering.

My own inability to detach myself was one of the reasons why I wasn't fit for the job.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th May 2023), Diabolical Boids (13th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (13th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Senior Member United States Diabolical Boids's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Doctors and nurses do have to have a certain degree of detachment to them in order to be able to do their jobs and not go insane. Not too much detachment, of course — unfortunately, such doctors and nurses exist as well, and they are quite commonly easily identifiable by their cynicism — but there has to be just enough detachment for them to stop themselves from drowning in the suffering.

My own inability to detach myself was one of the reasons why I wasn't fit for the job.
    Yep, I feel you. I was Psych Lpn once. I drew labs on children that were so mentally retarded that they were the living dead. Literal vegetables. Six to 12 years old and never out of crib. They lay there all alone all day comatose and the only response they showed was crying in pain when I had to draw blood from their little atrophied limbs and teeny teeny tiny veins like little hairs. I couldn't deal with the idea that they had no stimulus all day except me administering pain. They are so sensitive from lack of exposure the merest pin prick was painful for them. In hindsight if I had known what compassion really was, I would have stuck it out and served them better by being the excellent, fast picker I was. Practice detachment and I know I was serving them better being good at what was instead of letting my feelings swamp me. But I was too lacking in emotional intelligence at the time to know better.

Me personally if I'm an ER I do not want to see doctors and nurses caroming around sobbing and yearning at my plight. I've been in and out of hospital and offices the last two months and I would have died of fright seeing people act that way. I want medical help not feelings. Pity doesn't stem the flow of blood. Most professionals act that way. They are in environment of reality, a hospital: People live, people die, people get sick. Its people outside that environment that can't get with the reality of it. People who cry they aren't compassionate unless they are showing gross displays of emotions never work in reality environments and that's good. They are too arrested emotionally to be there and all those patients laying around to feed off of is too tempting.

Real compassionate professionals act with great warmth, concern, attentiveness, reassurance without ever having to go into the emotional state because they have to stay present and they have to keep their patients present. If you get all wired on emotions no one is present.

I get the creeps thinking about a nurse starting a pic line or an IV or injection on me weeping and shaking hands. It's kind of like a sick fantasy to think people should be like that in order to fulfill someone's distorted idea of compassion. The reality of person who is jacked on emotions is they can't do their job very well and certainly can't act efficiently in an emergency.

Staying present is how they keep the ACTUAL victims comfortable, and stress free. Only the self-imagined needy victim mentalities (which is just EPIDEMIC in America) fantasize that doctor, nurses and the entire world need to be oozing sympathy and pity and rank emotion. Thats not what is required that is what then need personally. It's not compassion they want, they need emotional people to vampire off of and if making them guilty for having cool head compassion that is what they will do. It's all about punishing the hand that won't feed you. It's a really sick dynamic that has been growing in America these last 20 years or so.

Actual compassion can be brutal. It means some nurse is making you get out of bed two hours post op when you'd curl up, sleep, and take pain killers.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diabolical Boids For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th May 2023), Aragorn (13th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (13th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,215 Times in 11,971 Posts
    While my daughter was training she was doing transport for pediatric patients. When she started telling me the stories, I confess, at first it nearly brought me to tears. My instincts screamed to me that children should not have to endure that kind of existence. She did say once that one of her most non-functional patients had the greatest attitude. I felt a sense of relief, if only temporarily.

Quote Originally posted by Diabolical Boids View Post
    Yep, I feel you. I was Psych Lpn once. I drew labs on children that were so mentally retarded that they were the living dead. Literal vegetables. Six to 12 years old and never out of crib. They lay there all alone all day comatose and the only response they showed was crying in pain when I had to draw blood from their little atrophied limbs and teeny teeny tiny veins like little hairs. I couldn't deal with the idea that they had no stimulus all day except me administering pain. They are so sensitive from lack of exposure the merest pin prick was painful for them. In hindsight if I had known what compassion really was, I would have stuck it out and served them better by being the excellent, fast picker I was. Practice detachment and I know I was serving them better being good at what was instead of letting my feelings swamp me. But I was too lacking in emotional intelligence at the time to know better.

Me personally if I'm an ER I do not want to see doctors and nurses caroming around sobbing and yearning at my plight. I've been in and out of hospital and offices the last two months and I would have died of fright seeing people act that way. I want medical help not feelings. Pity doesn't stem the flow of blood. Most professionals act that way. They are in environment of reality, a hospital: People live, people die, people get sick. Its people outside that environment that can't get with the reality of it. People who cry they aren't compassionate unless they are showing gross displays of emotions never work in reality environments and that's good. They are too arrested emotionally to be there and all those patients laying around to feed off of is too tempting.

Real compassionate professionals act with great warmth, concern, attentiveness, reassurance without ever having to go into the emotional state because they have to stay present and they have to keep their patients present. If you get all wired on emotions no one is present.

I get the creeps thinking about a nurse starting a pic line or an IV or injection on me weeping and shaking hands. It's kind of like a sick fantasy to think people should be like that in order to fulfill someone's distorted idea of compassion. The reality of person who is jacked on emotions is they can't do their job very well and certainly can't act efficiently in an emergency.

Staying present is how they keep the ACTUAL victims comfortable, and stress free. Only the self-imagined needy victim mentalities (which is just EPIDEMIC in America) fantasize that doctor, nurses and the entire world need to be oozing sympathy and pity and rank emotion. Thats not what is required that is what then need personally. It's not compassion they want, they need emotional people to vampire off of and if making them guilty for having cool head compassion that is what they will do. It's all about punishing the hand that won't feed you. It's a really sick dynamic that has been growing in America these last 20 years or so.

Actual compassion can be brutal. It means some nurse is making you get out of bed two hours post op when you'd curl up, sleep, and take pain killers.
    Good point about the impression that patients get when looking at staff. I had to pause and think when I was listening to a shrink talk about 'overprotection' of children (the converse of a lack of empathy). Guilty as charged. But I always did my level best to seem attentive but not 'distressed'. It was hard work for me, her mother on the other hand was completely missing in action.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th May 2023), Aragorn (13th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,150 Times in 20,327 Posts
    While my daughter was training she was doing transport for pediatric patients. When she started telling me the stories, I confess, at first it nearly brought me to tears.
    No offense, but over here in Belgium (and possibly all of Europe), the code of conduct for medical and paramedical professionals forbids them from discussing anything work-related with anyone from outside of their work environment except for the patient themselves.

Of course, one can mention a certain event, but the privacy and anonymity of the patient must at all times be respected.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th May 2023), Diabolical Boids (13th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (13th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    No offense, but over here in Belgium (and possibly all of Europe), the code of conduct for medical and paramedical professionals forbids them from discussing anything work-related with anyone from outside of their work environment except for the patient themselves.

Of course, one can mention a certain event, but the privacy and anonymity of the patient must at all times be respected.
    Sure, we always have that discussion as well, no names, places, or things.

I always sort of coerced her because I was concerned to see how she was emotionally handling things. Of course, my concerns were basically wasted.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th May 2023), Aragorn (13th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    While my daughter was training she was doing transport for pediatric patients. When she started telling me the stories, I confess, at first it nearly brought me to tears. My instincts screamed to me that children should not have to endure that kind of existence. She did say once that one of her most non-functional patients had the greatest attitude. I felt a sense of relief, if only temporarily.
    Thats the point where we make it about ourselves rather than the patients. That isn't compassion. Or empathy. If we stop looking at children through the lens of our own injury one can see their amazing resilience and inner resource. It amazes me that a child can embrace challenges like that while alleged adults are crying about words, or someone misgendered them or people aren't touchy feely enough or no one feels sorry enough for them. I would actually prefer to know what is going on inside of those kids instead of listening to able bodied people crying about how injured they are by them. That mentality steals the bandwidth away from the actual victim.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 13th May 2023 at 15:11. Reason: fixed your quoting

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diabolical Boids For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th May 2023), Aragorn (13th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (13th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks

We had that here at one time. Not anymore. Covid and the Transgender movement did away with patient privacy. Didn't take much for children to be encouraged to disregard their own privacy and show their transsexual surgery scars in public, plaster them all over social media. All their, surgeries, all their genitals before during and after, things we found totally offensive and abhorrent just a few years ago exposing children in public.

Parents, doctors nurses all encouraged the waiving of privacy and shared photos, stories, names, and details themselves. As far as Covid the hysterics felt that anything about your health could be revealed if someone might maybe have a tiny chance of Covid or Covid exposure. All your co morbidities out in the open without a care. Nothing is sacred. . It's all drug out into public and savaged like a dog with a piece of meat.

Nor is medicine the only place privacy is violated.

When I was in school you knew virtually nothing about your teacher's personal life. Now its civil liberties suit if a parent objects to a teacher discussing their sex life and sexual preferences with grade school children.

That's why I say emotional addiction is far more dangerous than drug addiction.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diabolical Boids For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th May 2023), Aragorn (13th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (13th May 2023), modwiz (13th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    Thats the point where we make it about ourselves rather than the patients. That isn't compassion. Or empathy. If we stop looking at children through the lens of our own injury one can see their amazing resilience and inner resource. It amazes me that a child can embrace challenges like that while alleged adults are crying about words, or someone misgendered them or people aren't touchy feely enough or no one feels sorry enough for them. I would actually prefer to know what is going on inside of those kids instead of listening to able bodied people crying about how injured they are by them. That mentality steals the bandwidth away from the actual victim.
    Ok, i get your sense of perspective but one doesn't always need to carry that 'feeling' in the forefront of one's mind. In my estimation that is what causes so much strife in the first place, Assume the best and if there is failure on the point then start kicking. Then if that fails either disengage or go for the throat, it is one's choice, of course. It is just they way I look at it.

Another point to ponder and it seems you realize this: On death and dying, interestingly, my new found bio-sister also specializes in end-of-life mental health but we haven't discussed that...I don't think either one of us wants to...seems a lot like what a sister would be like. Anyway, as usual, I digress...A lot of research substantiates what we intuitively know (some of us, in any case) Death and dying is easiest on the participant, it is family and friends that suffer. It is human and whenever I am close enough to someone to point that out I do. "Believe me, it is harder on you than it is them"

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th May 2023), Aragorn (14th May 2023), Wind (14th May 2023)

Thanks
    On the great surge across the southern border that didn't happen:

I didn't want to say it, but I knew it wouldn't happen. Seriously, journalists are suppose to know how to at least count to 100 (they have consultants), the general public not so much.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th May 2023), Aragorn (15th May 2023)

Thanks
    Here we go again. This guy is in the news as a upcoming star in the Republican party. As I said, watching the world go round is very much like reading a script. Programming? Mind control raygun? Derivate of nature? Meta-subconscious? Or just the basic, sumpin' is very very wrong with those people:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th May 2023)

Thanks
    On the great surge across the southern border that didn't happen:

I didn't want to say it, but I knew it wouldn't happen. Seriously, journalists are suppose to know how to at least count to 100 (they have consultants), the general public not so much.
    The hundreds of National Guards sent to the border might have something to do with that.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Diabolical Boids For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th May 2023)

Thanks
    The hundreds of National Guards sent to the border might have something to do with that.
    Crocodiles, alligators, tanks...none of it makes a difference to those that represent Darwin's fittest. The National Guard are serving as admins, none of them are equipped with tanks or even water pistols. One still has to be able to count.

Have I ever mentioned that my adopted dad's twin brother drowned when crossing the river.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th May 2023)

Thanks
    Here we go again. This guy is in the news as a upcoming star in the Republican party. As I said, watching the world go round is very much like reading a script. Programming? Mind control raygun? Derivate of nature? Meta-subconscious? Or just the basic, sumpin' is very very wrong with those people:
    I think I figured it out and now I am able to feel a little empathy because they have no choice to adapt the role that nature/nurture has given them, either that, or live an entire life of self-denial:

Trans-Identityism! Yup, I rule!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th May 2023)

Thanks
    Crocodiles, alligators, tanks...none of it makes a difference to those that represent Darwin's fittest. The National Guard are serving as admins, none of them are equipped with tanks or even water pistols. One still has to be able to count.

Have I ever mentioned that my adopted dad's twin brother drowned when crossing the river.
    It's called a psychological deterrent.

The administrative paperwork the NG is doing denying asylum to those who cross the border without documentation that states they can. Denial or granting of asylum is all administrative.

My brother-in-law works in the customs & immigration: "A convoluted way of checking the flow of the border of those who may not be licit without admitting there is a problem at the border. That it took this long to accomplish is basic DC red tape and bureaucracy. I yearn for the day when laws were written sparingly."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Diabolical Boids For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th May 2023)

Thanks
    It's called a psychological deterrent.

The administrative paperwork the NG is doing denying asylum to those who cross the border without documentation that states they can. Denial or granting of asylum is all administrative.

My brother-in-law works in the customs & immigration: "A convoluted way of checking the flow of the border of those who may not be licit without admitting there is a problem at the border. That it took this long to accomplish is basic DC red tape and bureaucracy. I yearn for the day when laws were written sparingly."
    If you insist...
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 16th May 2023 at 16:57.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th May 2023)