Page 146 of 206 FirstFirst ... 4696136143144145146147148149156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 3083

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Folks in America who think it's the End Times are actively trying to bring it about. It doesn't matter whether it was Clinton or any of the Presidents who followed. They're trying to make it happen. Many would have been happy if Trump had started war with Iran, it helps bring about the End Times.

This goes way beyond just thinking that we're in it. They try to bring it. Actively.

Sealing the Southern Border won't do much. Most of the immigrants who are lost track of in the US come in legally for work and then just don't leave. The border is an issue that has been blown out of proportion. It's a real challenge, but not the source of most immigrants who just disappear into the fabric of the country.

And the factors leading those migrants to come here are largely about the environmental issues driving them from their homes, i.e. coffee farms devastated by disease.

The characterizations of the child-man were of no help whatsoever in terms of dealing with the problem.

And those immigrants are doing the farm labor that Americans don't want to do.

The corporations are in control, no doubt about that. Americans need to smarten up and stop allowing themselves to be divided and manipulated.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th August 2021), Aragorn (17th August 2021), Chris (17th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th August 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021)

Thanks
    What was the stage being set for when Mullah Baradar was released from prison? Why did Pompeo meet with him?

Why did Trump want to meet with the Taliban at Camp David? (I still cringe to think he wanted to bring them here, to our home soil)

What was the plan? What did Trump want with/from the Taliban?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th August 2021), Aragorn (17th August 2021), Chris (18th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th August 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021)

Thanks
    This isn't an Afghanistan thread...but since it's the current topic of conversation I'll just put this here.

The following isn't a blank stare, it's well considered words. People can make of those words what they will.

We went to Afghanistan almost 20 years ago with clear goals: get those who attacked us on Sept. 11, 2001, and make sure Al Qaeda could not use Afghanistan as a base from which to attack us again. We did that. We severely degraded Al Qaeda and Afghanistan. We never gave up the hunt for Osama bin Laden and we got him.

...Our only vital national interest in Afghanistan remains today what it has always been: preventing a terrorist attack on American homeland.

I’ve argued for many years that our mission should be narrowly focused on counterterrorism, not counterinsurgency or nation-building. That’s why I opposed the surge when it was proposed in 2009 when I was vice president. And that’s why as president I’m adamant we focus on the threats we face today, in 2021, not yesterday’s threats.

...We conduct effective counterterrorism missions against terrorist groups in multiple countries where we don’t have permanent military presence. If necessary, we’ll do the same in Afghanistan. ...

When I came into office, I inherited a deal that President Trump negotiated with the Taliban. Under his agreement, U.S. forces would be out of Afghanistan by May 1, 2021, just a little over three months after I took office. U.S. forces had already drawn down during the Trump administration from roughly 15,500 American forces to 2,500 troops in country. And the Taliban was at its strongest militarily since 2001.

The choice I had to make as your president was either to follow through on that agreement or be prepared to go back to fighting the Taliban in the middle of the spring fighting season. There would have been no cease-fire after May 1. There was no agreement protecting our forces after May 1. There was no status quo of stability without American casualties after May 1. There was only the cold reality of either following through on the agreement to withdraw our forces or escalating the conflict and sending thousands more American troops back into combat in Afghanistan, and lurching into the third decade of conflict. ✂️

The truth is, this did unfold more quickly than we had anticipated. So what’s happened? Afghanistan political leaders gave up and fled the country. The Afghan military collapsed, sometimes without trying to fight. If anything, the developments of the past week reinforced that ending U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan now was the right decision.

American troops cannot and should not be fighting in a war and dying in a war that Afghan forces are not willing to fight for themselves. We spent over a trillion dollars. We trained and equipped an Afghan military force of some 300,000 strong. Incredibly well equipped. A force larger in size than the militaries of many of our NATO allies. We gave them every tool they could need. ...We gave them every chance to determine their own future. What we could not provide them was the will to fight for that future.

There are some very brave and capable Afghan special forces units and soldiers. But if Afghanistan is unable to mount any real resistance to the Taliban now, there is no chance that one year — one more year, five more years or 20 more years — that U.S. military boots on the ground would have made any difference.

Here’s what I believe to my core: It is wrong to order American troops to step up when Afghanistan’s own armed forces would not. ✂️

So I’m left again to ask of those who argue that we should stay: How many more generations of America’s daughters and sons would you have me send to fight Afghanistan’s civil war when Afghan troops will not? ...I’m clear on my answer: I will not repeat the mistakes we’ve made in the past. ✂️

I also want to acknowledge how painful this is to so many of us. The scenes that we’re seeing in Afghanistan, they’re gut-wrenching, particularly for our veterans, our diplomats, humanitarian workers — for anyone who has spent time on the ground working to support the Afghan people. For those who have lost loved ones in Afghanistan, and for Americans who have fought and served our country in Afghanistan, this is deeply, deeply personal. It is for me as well.✂️

We will continue to support the Afghan people. We will lead with our diplomacy, our international influence and our humanitarian aid. We’ll continue to push for regional diplomacy and engagement to prevent violence and instability. We’ll continue to speak out for the basic rights of the Afghan people, of women and girls, just as we speak out all over the world.

I’ve been clear, the human rights must be the center of our foreign policy, not the periphery. But the way to do it is not through endless military deployments. It’s with our diplomacy, our economic tools and rallying the world to join us. ✂️

I will not mislead the American people by claiming that just a little more time in Afghanistan will make all the difference. Nor will I shrink from my share of responsibility for where we are today and how we must move forward from here. I am president of the United States of America, and the buck stops with me. ✂️

I know my decision will be criticized. But I would rather take all that criticism than pass this decision on to another president of the United States, yet another one, a fifth one. Because it’s the right one, it’s the right decision for our people. The right one for our brave service members who risked their lives serving our nation. And it’s the right one for America.

Thank you. May God protect our troops, our diplomats and all brave Americans serving in harm’s way.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th August 2021), Aragorn (17th August 2021), Chris (18th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th August 2021), Octopus Garden (23rd August 2021), Wind (17th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    This was always bound to happen eventually, for reasons highlighted by Dmitry Orlov below:

http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2021/0...nal-shame.html

Monday, July 12, 2021

A Case Study in National Shame

The American occupation of Afghanistan is, thankfully, over, and the way it ended was remarkably fitting to an effort that was thoroughly misguided. The US pulled out in the middle of the night, not warning its allies and leaving behind a rapidly collapsing puppet state which they established and propped up for two decades at the cost of $2.26 trillion. To give you an idea of these numbers, Afghanistan's population is 38 million; its per capita annual income is $581. By multiplying the two together and the whole by 20 years, and we get $441.56 billion. Thus, the US spending on Afghanistan exceeded the country's GDP by a factor of five!

And what is there to show for it? Well, while under the control of the US (which was in many cases more notional than real) Afghanistan became responsible for 90% of the world's opium supply, valued at around $58.5 billion a year. Even as a corrupt scheme to use government funds to get at some dirty drug money, the Afghanistan venture has been a pitifully, pathetically ineffectual one, and that is probably why the topic hardly ever comes up. Being ruled by a mafia government may not be particularly shameful for people who have no shame, but being ruled by a mafia government that can't even come up with the ink is, among thieves, the ultimate dishonor.

Perhaps an even greater dishonor is in leaving behind scores of people whom the Taliban consider American collaborators: translators and other service personnel recruited and employed by the US and NATO forces in Afghanistan over the past two decades. An honorable thing to do would be to fly them out to the US and to give them places to live and pensions. A dishonorable thing to do is what the US usually does under such circumstances: abandon its allies as soon as they become unnecessary. The whole world is watching and the lesson they are learning is this: the US is in rapid, chaotic retreat, and it is manifestly unsafe to be an American ally or, worse yet, an American collaborator.

But such important topics are being studiously ignored. What is talked about instead is... cue the sound of silence. Joe Biden recently let us catch a glimpse of his internal mental void, saying, "We went [into Afghanistan] for two reasons: to... to..." Then he froze with a blank stare and eventually came up with two expedient explanations: getting Osama Bin Laden (who was in Pakistan, a US ally at the time, enjoying his quiet CIA retirement living next to a military college) and fighting terrorism (which is now a worse problem than ever).

From this we might conclude that US blundering into Afghanistan and staying there for two decades was a horrendous mistake and, surely, it was, but this does not explain why the mistake was made. Why are empires, especially dying ones, drawn to Afghanistan like moths to a flame? The case study below is from my book The Five Stages of Collapse. It is about the Pashtuns, but to simply just a little, the Taliban, who will, by all indications, soon will once again be in charge of the whole of Afghanistan, are ethnic Pashtuns (they have recruited a great many ethnic Tajiks in recent times, but this does not change their basic nature).

Beyond satisfying an interest in US foreign policy, the story of Afghanistan, and of Taliban in it, offers a valuable opportunity for attitude adjustment. You may not think highly of them; in turn, what they think of you is that you should shut up, get out and stay out. You may be tempted to expound to them your tender feelings about freedom, democracy, human rights, social and technological progress, environmentalism, gender equality and the reproductive rights of women. They will simply ignore all of that as idiotic, childish noise.

Chances are, your entire civilization will crumble into dust and nothing will be left of it except some rusty rebar sticking out of cracked concrete and they will still be there, same as ever. Your challenge is to learn to respect them, knowing full well that they will never, ever have any respect for you.

Case Study: The Pashtuns

Among the world’s many ungoverned spaces, there are few as long lasting and as able to withstand the relentless onslaught of empires as the Pashtun tribal areas, which straddle the porous and largely notional border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, including the Pakistani tribal area of Waziristan. To invaders, this is an invisible yet impregnable fortress that has withstood all attempts by centralized government authorities to impose their will. The term “ungoverned” is, as usual, misapplied here: the Pashtuns have an alternative system of governance whose rules preclude the establishment of any centralized authority. At over forty million strong, they are one of the largest ethnic groups on the planet. Their ability to resist the British, the Pakistanis, the Soviets and now the Americans/NATO makes them one of the greatest anti-imperialist success stories on our planet. What makes up the shell of such an uncrackable nut? This is an interesting question, which is why I have decided to include an exposition on the Pashtuns, the toughest nut in the whole tribal nutsack.

An equally interesting question to ask is, What compelled a succession of empires to continue to make futile attempts to crack it, throwing life and treasure at the task of conquering a rugged, fiercely independent, inaccessible and mostly worthless piece of land? Wouldn’t it be much easier to just leave the Pashtuns alone and continue using rifles against Pygmies armed with ripe fruit? The compulsion to conquer and to subjugate is by no means new, and tribes have continuously conquered and subjugated other tribes since prehistoric times, but with the emergence of global empires a new element seems to have been introduced: complete intolerance of complete independence. Every pocket of the planet, no matter how small, has to be assigned to an internationally recognized state that has been bound to other states through treaties and state-legal relations. The global political order can no longer tolerate a single white spot on the political map. Its imperative seems to be to force every single group of humans to at least sit down at the negotiating table, at which the most powerful (or so they think) always have the upper hand, and to sign legally-binding documents. The existence of any such white spot poses an existential threat to the entire system, which is why the efforts to eliminate it are often disproportionate to either its value or its threat. Like space aliens, great big empires swoop in and say, “ Take me to your leader!” And if there is no leader, and the only bit of foreign policy this particular tribe ever happens to have developed is exhaustively described by the words “go away and leave us alone,” then a misunderstanding inevitably results and things end badly for both sides. Appointing a local stooge to sign legally-binding documents on behalf of the ungoverned territory that is supposed to behave like a nation-state does not work.

It would appear that the state cannot impose its authority on an area if its underlying, local system of governance is non-hierarchical, self-enforcing and decentralized, and has a strong tradition of uniting solely for the purpose of ganging up on outside threats and an equally strong tradition of attempting to avenge all wrongful deaths (such as a family member who has been killed by an American Predator drone). This happens to be the case with the Pashtuns. Their ancient and eternal code of conduct is Pashtunwali, or “The Pashtun Way.” The reason for following Pashtunwali is to be a good Pashtun. In turn, what a good Pashtun does is follow Pashtunwali. It is self-reinforcing because any Pashtun who does not follow Pashtunwali is unable to secure the cooperation of other Pashtuns, and has very low life expectancy, because ostracism is generally equivalent to a death sentence. Among the Pashtuns, there is no such thing as the right to life; there is only the reason for not killing someone right there and then. If this seems unnecessarily harsh to you, then what did you expect? A trip to Disneyland? Needless to say, the Pashtuns cannot be seduced with offers of social progress and economic development, because that is not the purpose of Pashtunwali. The purpose of Pashtunwali is to perpetuate Pashtunwali, and at this it is apparently very, very good.

Pashtun society is classified as segmentary, a subtype of acephalous (leaderless). The main figures of authority are the elders (maliks) who serve a local tribal chief (khan), but their leadership positions remain at all times contingent on putting the tribe’s interests first. All decisionmaking is consensus-based, severely restricting the scope of united action. However, when faced with an external threat, the Pashtuns are able to appoint a dictator, and to serve that dictator with absolute obedience until the threat is extinguished.

Pashtunwali defines the following key concepts: honor (nang) demands action regardless of consequences whenever Pashtunwali is violated. It is permissible to lie and kill to protect one’s nang. Revenge (badal) demands “an eye for an eye” in case of injury or damage, but crucially allows payment of restitution to avoid bloodshed. Incarceration is considered unacceptable and unjust under any circumstances. It is seen as interfering with justice, since it complicates the process of exacting revenge and precludes the payment of restitution. This is why Afghanistan has been the scene of spectacular prison escapes, where hundreds of inmates are freed in a single military-style attack; the attackers’ goal is not just to free prisoners but also to later kill them or collect restitution from them. The law of hospitality (nanawatai) demands that any Pashtun must welcome and provide sanctuary to anyone who asks for it. As a matter of nang, the guest must be kept perfectly secure and safe from all harm while a guest. Once over the threshold and no longer a guest, he can be sniped at one’s leisure should such an action be called for. Laws against harboring fugitives, serving as accessory after the fact, impeding official investigations and so forth are meaningless and attempts to enforce them automatically result in badal.

The local Pashtun governing body is the jirga, which is convened only on special occasions. It takes its roots from Athenian democracy, although some scholars argue that it predates it. The participants arrange themselves in a circle, and everyone has the right to speak. There is no one presiding, in accordance with the principle that no one is superior in the eyes of Pashtunwali. The decision is based on a majority consensus. Those who defy the decision of the jirga open themselves up to officially sanctioned arson and murder. It is significant that the jirga does not allow representation: it is a direct rather than a representative democracy. It is also crucial that the jirga reserves the right to abnegate any agreement previously entered into, making treaty-based state-legal relations with the Pashtuns impossible. Lastly, only those who follow Pashtunwali can participate in a jirga; all outsiders are automatically excluded.

This should give you some idea of why Pashtunwali presents an intractable problem for any empire that wants to dominate the Pashtuns. Now let us briefly glance at the long and tangled historical record of such attempts.

Empires break their teeth

The first modern empire to tangle with the Pashtuns was the British, who optimistically tried to impose the Indian Penal Code on them. When the Pashtuns refused to recognize this code as just, the result was a considerable amount of carnage. The British then abandoned attempts at imposing a system of justice and resorted to administrative means instead: their Closed Border Policy attempted to segregate the plains tribes from the hill tribes. This policy failed to stop the carnage and was abandoned after thirty years. Eventually the British were compelled to resort to accommodation by recognizing Pashtun tribal law. Then they bled profusely and departed in unseemly haste, leaving the Pashtuns to the Pakistanis, who mostly practiced accommodation as well. The Taliban movement, which is predominantly Pashtun-led, was recognized by Pakistan. Pakistan was content to allow Pashtun self-governance until September 11, 2001. Since then they have been compelled to at least make a show of imposing authority on the Pashtuns, in order to at least appear to cooperate with their American allies, although little remains of this cooperation today.

The Soviets blundered into Afghanistan in a misguided effort to defend socialism against regressive counterrevolutionary tendencies in accordance with the Brezhnev Doctrine. They made a futile attempt to eradicate ethnic and religious identities through a strategy of suppression, and succeeded, for a time, in consolidating control of urban areas while the predominantly Pashtun resistance established footholds in the hills surrounding the capital Kabul. They also relentlessly bombed the Afghanistan-Pakistan border to create a no-man’s land. In doing so, they failed on a grand scale, creating a very large refugee crisis and thus ensuring that their enemies had plenty of international support. Once, thanks to the efforts of the CIA (working closely with Osama bin Laden) the Pashtuns acquired Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, the Soviets gradually lost the ability to continue the air campaign.

The Soviets’ effort to win the Pashtun hearts and minds was likewise a spectacular failure. Pashtunwali demanded revenge for the Soviets’ military actions from even the most ambivalent Pashtuns. The few elders the Soviets were able to co-opt through intimidation or bribery swiftly lost the support of their followers. The Soviets withdrew in 1988, having made zero headway, and having lost the political will to succeed. It was a costly conflict with no benefits.

The Americans (and a few NATO troops) are currently in the process of repeating the Soviet experiment, with very similar results. Here is a nice little fact to illustrate this point: on March 18, 2012, Hamid Karzai, the American-imposed President of Afghanistan and an ethnic Pashtun (but an obvious apostate from Pashtunwali) denounced the Americans as “demons” engaged in “Satanic acts.” The Americans swiftly reacted... by saying nothing and doing even less. Then they trotted out some well-spoken media robopundits who said that Afghanistan is still, potentially, “a good war.” Thus, the result of the American invasion of Afghanistan is predictable: the Americans will pretend it never happened. When forced to discuss it, they will remain delusional. But mostly it won’t be in the news, and Americans will no longer know, or care, what happens there. The US initially blundered into Afghanistan under the delusion that they would find Osama bin Laden there (while, if you believe the news, Osama was in Pakistan, living quietly next to an army college). If jet airliners start crashing into skyscrapers again, odds are some other tribe will get “bombed back to the Stone Age.”

An approach that works

It is difficult but not impossible to constructively engage the Pashtuns: during better times, the Pakistanis came closest to doing so. They freely offered the few important gifts the Pashtuns were willing to accept and appreciate. They offered the Pashtuns a sense of participation by giving them a big audience and a voice. They provided an unlimited time horizon for engaging the Pashtuns as permanent neighbors, building traditional ties and long-term relationships. These activities were informed by an understanding that attempts to impose order without legitimate authority are bound to fail, coupled with the realization that with the Pashtuns any such legitimate authority must of necessity come from within and remain autonomous and decentralized.

Part of what made such accommodation succeed is the fact that Pakistan is a weak state with limited resources. But as long as there are mighty military empires stalking the planet (not for much longer, we should hope) we should expect that one of them will periodically come along and, just like the ones that came before it, break its teeth on Pashtunwali. You might think that they’d learn from each others’ mistakes, but then here is a simple rule for you to remember: the intelligence of a hierarchically organized group of people is inversely proportional to its size, and mighty military empires are so big, and consequently so dumb, that they never, ever learn anything.
    This was brilliant in the compassion shown by the author for a culture, Pashtunwali. I would not care to be born into such a culture, and did not. However, compared to the modern concept of 'culture', I respect it. Pashtun culture was probably patriarchal before the arrival of Islam to their part of the world. Olde patriarchal cultures were an abberation/deviation from a former matriarchal society. The Mongols and Huns represented such a break/breech. It would be my guess that Islam was a form of civilizing patriarchy for them.

The Creator gave them that part of the Earth, their will was stronger and they have prevailed.

I say, let them be. My views of reincarnation comfort me that those born there have their 'karmic' reasons for being there.

Perhaps, treating the Taliban as a legitimate gooberment, will allow for some diplomatic inroads, or outroads, regarding the treatment of the women who find themselves in a country they wish to leave.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th August 2021), Aragorn (18th August 2021), Chris (18th August 2021), Dreamtimer (18th August 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    This was brilliant in the compassion shown by the author for a culture, Pashtunwali. I would not care to be born into such a culture, and did not. However, compared to the modern concept of 'culture', I respect it. Pashtun culture was probably patriarchal before the arrival of Islam to their part of the world. Olde patriarchal cultures were an abberation/deviation from a former matriarchal society. The Mongols and Huns represented such a break/breech. It would be my guess that Islam was a form of civilizing patriarchy for them.

The Creator gave them that part of the Earth, their will was stronger and they have prevailed.

I say, let them be. My views of reincarnation comfort me that those born there have their 'karmic' reasons for being there.

Perhaps, treating the Taliban as a legitimate gooberment, will allow for some diplomatic inroads, or outroads, regarding the treatment of the women who find themselves in a country they wish to leave.
    To be frank, all tribal cultures are like that to some extent. They tend to have social mores and customs that are alien and bizarre to us. The trick is to just leave them be, no amount of Social Justice Warrioring is going to change the cultures and customs of tribal societies, no matter how disagreeable we may find them.

I have witnessed quite an interesting disconnect these past few days.

Hungary, a functioning democracy with the rule of law is regularly compared to Nazi Germany or other fascist regimes in the English-language media, for having the gall to stick to its own national culture, maintaining control over who can come in and who can't and restricting the teaching of LGBT material to children.

Then you compare and contrast it to genuine fascist regimes, like most countries in the Middle East, or now, Afghanistan and you have to wonder about the double standards.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th August 2021), Aragorn (18th August 2021), Dreamtimer (18th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th August 2021), modwiz (18th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    To be frank, all tribal cultures are like that to some extent. They tend to have social mores and customs that are alien and bizarre to us. The trick is to just leave them be, no amount of Social Justice Warrioring is going to change the cultures and customs of tribal societies, no matter how disagreeable we may find them.

I have witnessed quite an interesting disconnect these past few days.

Hungary, a functioning democracy with the rule of law is regularly compared to Nazi Germany or other fascist regimes in the English-language media, for having the gall to stick to its own national culture, maintaining control over who can come in and who can't and restricting the teaching of LGBT material to children.

Then you compare and contrast it to genuine fascist regimes, like most countries in the Middle East, or now, Afghanistan and you have to wonder about the double standards.
    Being called a Nazi is the SJW insult du jour. And the days are growing long.

Cultures are just that, a culture like yogurt. However, milk can also make a variety of cheeses, depending on the culture used.
    Milk, a common medium, like the human species, is good showcase for how culture defines the medium. Preserving culture is like preserving a cheese or grape species for wine.

Let us celebrate culture and the different flavors of humanity it provides.
    Love will always produce hybrids and that is a good thing.

Current immigration poilicies of some countries looks like 'rape' to me because the love is not there. On either side.
    It is a forced marriage managed by media/gooberment complicity.

I appreciate the stance of Hungary to be sovereign within the E.U. Especially a country without an Indo-European linguistic connection.
    A language rich in nuance and metaphor, based on my limited research.
    Last edited by modwiz, 19th August 2021 at 01:58.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th August 2021), Aragorn (18th August 2021), Chris (18th August 2021), Dreamtimer (18th August 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Being called a Nazi is the SJW insult du jour. And the days are growing long.

Cultures are just that, a culture like yogurt. However, milk can also make a variety of cheeses, depending on the culture used.
    Milk, a common medium, like the human species, is good showcase for how culture define the medium. Preserving culture is like preserving a cheese or grape species for wine.

Let us celebrate culture and the different flavors of humanity it provides.
    Love will always produce hybrids and that is a good thing.

Current immigration poilicies of some countries looks like 'rape' to me because the love is not there. On either side.
    It is a forced marriage managed by media/gooberment complicity.

I appreciate the stance of Hungary to be sovereign within the E.U. Especially a country without an Indo-European linguistic connection.
    A language rich in nuance and metaphor, based on my limited research.
    Thanks,

We appreciate your kind consideration

Actually, being swallowed up by the Indo-European sea has always been the main concern of Finno-Ugric speakers, whether it is us, the Finns or the Estonians. We are sandwiched between hundreds of millions of Slavic and Germanic speakers, situated right on the faultline of these two linguistic and cultural tectonic plates, that are constantly shifting and rubbing up against each other, with frequent outbreaks of conflict.

Our closest linguistic relatives, the Hanti and Mansi people in Western Siberia, inhabit a vast autonomous province, the size of Texas, but number only about 50.000 and are increasingly being swallowed up by the Russian sea, due to sheer numbers and cultural dominance.

We are always acutely aware that our fate can be similar if we fail to sail the always rough geopolitical waters in these parts. The sort of isolationism that comes naturally to the Americans, Brits or Australians is just not possible in such a neighbourhood.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th August 2021), Aragorn (18th August 2021), Dreamtimer (18th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th August 2021), modwiz (18th August 2021), Wind (19th August 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Here's the speech given by the new leader or Afghanistan, so you can understand, where he's coming from. Notice how his world-view fits in perfectly with the conspiracy circuit in the West. I wonder if he will become their new hero? I just listened to a podcast by Mike Adams last night, being interested in end-time predictions and minus the reference to Zionism it had the same basic message.

"For the last 40 years, we have struggled to establish peace in Afghanistan. We have defeated the forces of the atheistic Communists and the Zionist West, and we have liberated our country.

We invite all Afghans to participate in our Islamic Emirate and we promise we will work for the betterment of our people. Our priorities are to bring peace to all regions of Afghanistan and to ensure the fairness of law. We will punish those who have done evil, and we will pardon those who fought against us, but have now submitted themselves. Allah is the most merciful and we can only thank Allah for our victory. Islam will be upheld in Afghanistan.

We have but a few things to say to the world. If you want peace with us, end your hatred for our government of Afghanistan and recognise our rule. We are the rulers of this land graced by Allah, and no matter how hard you have tried, you have never defeated us.

To the people of this world, especially the Palestinians, we hope that our victory over the superpowers of mankind will inspire you, as our faith in Allah has been confirmed for all to see. How can you deny Allah and his will, when he has delivered such a great victory to the believers?

We dream of a world in which there is peace between all and we ask all world governments to recognise our government.

Our message to the American people and people of the Western powers who fought us, who we know are hurt by this defeat, is simple: we do not have any hatred for you. Your governments, ran by Zionists and atheists, who want to spread their anti-Islamic views here, were our enemies, not you. We will pray for the day when you liberate yourselves from their grip, and there can be peace upon this planet.

One day, in the future, we hope the whole world will see the truth of Islam. Allah is the most merciful."

-Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th August 2021), Aragorn (18th August 2021), Dreamtimer (18th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th August 2021), modwiz (19th August 2021), Wind (19th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    What I find sort of silly, in general, is the talk of defeat and victory ... If one side walks away out of boredom does that really count as either?
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th August 2021), Aragorn (19th August 2021), Chris (19th August 2021), Dreamtimer (19th August 2021), Wind (19th August 2021)

Thanks
    I think it's hilarious that Trump hired extras for his Presidential announcement and for his inauguration. He hired them from Extra Mile. It was reported by Hollywood Reporter and others.

It's also a beautiful example of why he accuses so many folks of being fake or "straight out of central casting".

Because that's how he works. Fake from start to finish.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th August 2021), Aragorn (20th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (20th August 2021), Wind (20th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th August 2021), Aragorn (24th August 2021), Dreamtimer (23rd August 2021)

Thanks
    Couple this one with the history of police in this country (slave hunting origins) and much more clarity emerges.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th August 2021), Aragorn (24th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (24th August 2021)

Thanks
    I just came across this. It's been a long time since I looked at Veterans Today. I found it suspect for a variety of reasons which don't all immediately come to mind anymore.

Here's a new, sad event as well as a bit of insight.

The Russian front outlet where Steele worked which is used for disinformation operations and to collect info on veterans confirms the death
    Another front for Russia. They're just pushing all kinds of buttons with Americans. Why are folks so prone to following the propaganda? Hearing what they want to hear?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th August 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th August 2021), Wind (30th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 7,284 Posts
    It seems that he died of covid too.

https://www.mainepublic.org/politics...es-of-covid-19

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th August 2021), Dreamtimer (3rd September 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th August 2021)

Thanks
    This is a good image for the GOP now.

They've succeeded with laws that most of the country doesn't want. They've created monsters they now cannot control.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd September 2021)