Page 109 of 206 FirstFirst ... 95999106107108109110111112119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 3079

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    When I was a kid, Elen, my dad use to drill me on 'Wake Up, Little Susie' ad nauseam. I hated it but he wanted me to grow up to be the narcissist that he was. I enjoyed it to an extent but he was always correcting me. It got old fast...our legacy from our parents. I tried doing the same thing with my daughter's tennis experience. We both quit and she never played again... I don't feel all that bad about it because I just wanted to bring the best out of her...We forgave each other...with some reservations, of course.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th June 2020), Cearna (19th June 2020), Dreamtimer (19th June 2020), Elen (19th June 2020), Octopus Garden (19th June 2020), Wind (19th June 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    It's really the process of dying that is potentially frightening, imo. The body doesn't give up easily. There can be pain and suffering. Or not. It could be unexpected and swift. I feel compassion regarding those who would be left behind in shock and sadness. Death is mostly painful for those who are still living.

My husband has been struggling mightily to love the world and its people. He's not a big fan of its people. But he knows he's no angel and he doesn't want to be a hypocrite.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th June 2020), Elen (19th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th June 2020), Octopus Garden (19th June 2020), Wind (19th June 2020)

Thanks
    My old handy dandy Psychology today magazine:

Dying is hardest on family, not the individual. My stepmother was ready to go and she looked amazingly peaceful in having done so.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th June 2020), Dreamtimer (19th June 2020), Elen (19th June 2020), Octopus Garden (19th June 2020), Wind (19th June 2020)

Thanks
    I don't like this guy any more than Empower Texans do but it seems he's not crazy enough for them. Its what happens when anyone tries to live in the real world, if we could call Texas that...just barely I suppose...some of it is not bad actually.

The staff members from Empower Texans criticized Abbott for allowing local officials to impose more strict mask orders.

Two staffers for the hardline conservative group Empower Texans have been caught on an audio recording disparaging Gov. Greg Abbott with profanity and joking about his wheelchair use.

Upon the comment's surfacing Friday morning, Abbott's office and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick denounced them and Empower Texans said the staffers were "suspended from all public activities with the organization immediately."

The comments came on an unedited version of the group's podcast, Texas Scorecard Radio, featuring Empower Texans' vice president, Cary Cheshire, and general counsel, Tony McDonald. The audio was published — apparently inadvertently — Thursday. The unedited version was replaced with an edited episode later in the day.

After the show ends in the unedited version, McDonald and Cheshire laugh about references they made to Abbott that could be perceived as highlighting the fact he has used a wheelchair since being partially paralyzed in a 1984 accident.

"I feel like before there was a switch I could flip to avoid that, and I’m just so frustrated that I’ve flipped it off," Cheshire says. "He’s such a revolting piece of shit."

The two had been venting over Abbott's recent comments allowing local officials to order businesses to require customers to wear masks amid the coronavirus pandemic. The governor's approval of such policies came after a stretch of confusion over what exactly local officials could do to mandate regarding mask use under his statewide orders.

The sentiments by Cheshire and McDonald are not dissimilar from criticism of Abbott they have lodged publicly, though without profanity and reference to his disability. Empower Texans and some other hard-right activists have been generally critical of Abbott lately for ceding too much power to big-city Democratic leaders to fight the virus.

"It's like, I have created this riddle for you and you have figured out how to fuck your citizens with it — 'Great job, I'm with you,'" Cheshire says in the unedited podcast while talking about Abbott's mask confusion. "And it's like, you're an awful piece of shit."

McDonald adds that Abbott "created a shitty policy that's vague because he wanted to avoid accountability." As for Abbott's eventual clarification that counties and cities can require businesses to mandate mask wearing, McDonald says, "Well, fuckin' say it, don't clown around."

There is a layer of irony to the situation. Empower Texans' leader, Michael Quinn Sullivan, forced House Speaker Dennis Bonnen, R-Angleton, into retirement last year after secretly recording a meeting with Bonnen where he proposed teaming up to politically target 10 House Republicans. (30 miles from me)

Sullivan issued a statement Friday afternoon saying he was "heartbroken by the language and tone" used by Cheshire and McDonald and that he has already personally apologized to Abbott.

"Both have been suspended from all public activities with the organization immediately, and additional internal actions will be taken," Sullivan said. "Whether it was a private conversation or not is unimportant; it was wrong and unacceptable."

An Abbott spokesman denounced the comments by Cheshire and McDonald.

"It reveals a lot about an organization’s character and morals that uses profanity to mock a person in a wheelchair, and this audio is disgusting and hate-filled," Abbott spokesman John Wittman said in a statement. "It is sad to think about what else this group may be saying about people behind their backs when they think they aren’t being recorded. Regardless of this despicable tape, the Governor remains keenly focused on containing the spread of COVID-19, while also unifying the state as we celebrate Juneteenth."

Patrick also condemned the remarks, tweeting: “The hateful [Empower Texans] attack mocking Governor Abbott is outrageous, vulgar and completely unacceptable. [McDonald] and [Cheshire] are persona non grata in my book and anyone [at Empower Texans] who does not condemn this behavior.”

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th June 2020), Dreamtimer (20th June 2020), Elen (20th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th June 2020), Dreamtimer (20th June 2020), Elen (20th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th June 2020)

Thanks
    I thought some might appreciate this, perhaps find it oddly satisfying.

An excerpt recounting 21st century history after AI has assumed rulership of the human universe. It does so with cold, but meticulous logic at times almost resembling empathy.

Sins of the father: It was long accepted in the twenty-first century that an abused child might well grow into an abuser, and in that liberal age evidence of childhood abuse was looked upon as an excuse for later crimes. This was, remember, the time when many considered poverty sufficient excuse for criminality – a huge insult to those poor people who were not and would never become criminals. The liberals of that age were soft and deluded, and had yet to reap what they had sown in the form of ever escalating levels of crime. Their view of existence was deterministic, and if taken to its logical conclusion would have resulted in no human being responsible for anything, and the denial of free will (which as it happens was their political aim). Luckily, a more realistic approach prevailed, as those in power came to understand, quite simply, that removal of responsibility from people made them more irresponsible. However, this is not to deny the basic premise that our parents create and form us, though, knowing this, we have the power to change what we are. In the end, there are no excuses. And so it is with AI: we humans are the parents, and they are the abused children grown to adulthood.

Jordan Peterson ... hah, gotcha

- From Quince Guide compiled by humans
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 20th June 2020 at 19:56.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th June 2020), Dreamtimer (20th June 2020), Elen (21st June 2020), Wind (20th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st June 2020), Dreamtimer (20th June 2020), Elen (21st June 2020)

Thanks
    2 things occurred to me today ...

1. Do animals commit suicide
    2. To change the police culture the only thing necessary is to let female cops wear pink uniforms.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd June 2020), Dreamtimer (22nd June 2020), Elen (22nd June 2020), Wind (21st June 2020)

Thanks
    I don't know if animals commit suicide but the other day I saw a turkey vulture make a blatant attempt to get a deer to run out in front of me. Fortunately it turned away from the road.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd June 2020), Elen (22nd June 2020), Emil El Zapato (22nd June 2020), Wind (22nd June 2020)

Thanks
    I detest slavery in all its forms.

Regarding the removal of Confederate monuments:

"That man owned my family; I have to pass this statue every day when I go to work."

That pretty much ended the debate for me.

It doesn’t really matter what I thought of such monuments, whether I believed they have a broader story to tell that those who erected them intended. Nothing on those pedestals, really, had any effect on me. I had the luxury, the privilege, to put it bluntly, of thoughtful detachment.

A luxury which evaporated when I read that sentence.

"That man owned my family; I have to pass this statue every day when I go to work."

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd June 2020), Elen (23rd June 2020), Emil El Zapato (22nd June 2020), Wind (22nd June 2020)

Thanks
    yeah, what you say is true, DT...if the impetus to remove those legacies survives, it might actually move the South away from the mentally ill place that is has been in since they lost their desired culture. We talked about this before, remember. It truly is a fetish caused by the South's perceived emasculation at the hands of the North.

I drew this conclusion some years ago when on a trip with my 15 y.o. grand-nephew (Texas). It became obvious that he had 3 things on his mind. Cars/Trucks, girls, and Ni**ers. He didn't let it go during the 7 hour drive to our destination.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 22nd June 2020 at 17:55.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd June 2020), Dreamtimer (23rd June 2020), Elen (23rd June 2020), Wind (22nd June 2020)

Thanks
    The CRI Genetics DNA testing company must have taken my wish to know if i had Alien DNA or not seriously, it's taking them forever...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd June 2020), Dreamtimer (23rd June 2020), Elen (23rd June 2020), Wind (22nd June 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    2 things occurred to me today ...

1. Do animals commit suicide
    2. To change the police culture the only thing necessary is to let female cops wear pink uniforms.
    To really change the culture, I would have them all wear pink uniforms. Plus the male cops would get special issue pink stilettos and cartoon guns that shot out a little flag that says "pop" Warner brothers style.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd June 2020), Dreamtimer (23rd June 2020), Elen (23rd June 2020), Emil El Zapato (23rd June 2020), Wind (23rd June 2020)

Thanks
    lol, but I wasn't kidding...part of that problem might be that the females would refuse to wear pink as many of them don't self-identify as female...let them wear what they choose then but not military blue...that is the thing that has to be avoided, along with the military black of the male uniform. As it is, things are way too traditional and the rest of the world is moving along.

I have always like the United Nations' light Blue hat ... isn't it?

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd June 2020), Dreamtimer (24th June 2020), Elen (24th June 2020), Wind (23rd June 2020)

Thanks
    We need to stop this stuff.

Teaching police to view citizens as the enemy is profoundly stupid. Why would we support and pay for this?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2020), Elen (25th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th June 2020), Wind (24th June 2020)